DC Candidates

QuahHawk

Reaction score
All the of talk about the open OC job after Bevell and Cable fired.

Where is our speculation about DC candidates?

chris98251

Reaction score
Seems like there isn't as much of a push for this since Richard is still here, they may have the next candidate on staff or waiting for coach still in the playoffs ?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe they would look within the org for a DC replacement. Most likely the candidates would be Clint Hurtt or Michael Barrow. Pete heads the defense so there won’t be too much of a change there.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I'm personally hoping Kris Richard.

Benefits from every "but personnel!" argument that people are raising for Brian Schottenheimer, actually produced good defenses.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I'm not as anxious to switch DC's as others. The grass isn't always greener

Unless Dan Quinn walks through that door, I'm nervous about any replacement. We know what we get with Richards

A-Dog

Reaction score
Unless Richard gets a HC offer, or at the very least a very desirable DC/AHC offer, I'd like him to stay as DC.

Not sure why everyone ignores personnel issues when evaluating him. LOB aside, the Hawks defense was in big trouble the minute they lost Cliff Avril.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
A-Dog":11s2muwr said:
Not sure why everyone ignores personnel issues when evaluating him. LOB aside, the Hawks defense was in big trouble the minute they lost Cliff Avril.

Because the unit was underachieving before Avril went down. And they underachieved last year too.

Bad on 3rd down, bad at closing out games, lack of QB pressure (again, before Avril went down too). You should be able to still generate pressure when 1 Defensive lineman goes down. Bennett, Sheldon Richardson, Reed, Clark should be enough to make some noise if you scheme it right.

A-Dog

Reaction score
:stirthepot:
HawkFan72":1f167zkk said:
A-Dog":1f167zkk said:

Because the unit was underachieving before Avril went down. And they underachieved last year too.

Bad on 3rd down, bad at closing out games, lack of QB pressure (again, before Avril went down too). You should be able to still generate pressure when 1 Defensive lineman goes down. Bennett, Sheldon Richardson, Reed, Clark should be enough to make some noise if you scheme it right.

Hmm... 3rd in the NFL in scoring defense in 2016 despite an offense in the bottom third of the league in both TOP and 1st Downs, as well as having to play without Earl Thomas for a large chunk of the season, something no other DC under Carroll had to do. I don't know if I'd call that underachieving.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
A-Dog":1jqe8hua said:
HawkFan72":1jqe8hua said:
A-Dog":1jqe8hua said:

Hmm... 3rd in the NFL in scoring defense in 2016 despite an offense in the bottom third of the league in both TOP and 1st Downs, as well as having to play without Earl Thomas for a large chunk of the season, something no other DC under Carroll had to do. I don't know if I'd call that underachieving.

They were incredibly inconsistent. There were many posts on here during the season about how the D wasn't playing as well as we expected. The final ranking is good, but that doesn't help when your Defense is inconsistent from game to game, and that inconsistency is costing you games in the process.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
A-Dog":2a5it48p said:
HawkFan72":2a5it48p said:
A-Dog":2a5it48p said:

You have a point when it comes to the Dline. Look at the names on that line, even without Avril. There should be more QB pressure. Can the Dline coach be to blame?

chris98251

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1hwytno0 said:
A-Dog":1hwytno0 said:
HawkFan72":1hwytno0 said:
A-Dog":1hwytno0 said:

You have a point when it comes to the Dline. Look at the names on that line, even without Avril. There should be more QB pressure. Can the Dline coach be to blame?

How about playing safe and gap control versus a push many times. Richard plays the safe defense why his 3rd down deep zone is so frustrating.

adeltaY

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1k6wu6bi said:
seabowl":1k6wu6bi said:

Why? Didn't we absolutely destroy him in Super Bowl 48? His Defense was bad in Denver and Oakland.

Is it fair to use one game as an argument against a guy as a DC? I'm not even sure if Del Rio was that good, full disclosure. I know they were missing at least Chris Harris and Von Miller in the SB, two all-pro guys, which is a huge deal.

Ken Norton was hired by the 49ers.

The defense did problems this year, especially on 3rd down. I believe we were also the worst in the league at 3rd and 10+ defense, which is baffling. The DL was a huge disappointment too. If you saw the Steelers game today, they played about as poorly on the DL as our guys did against Jacksonville earlier in the year. Almost zero pressure the entire game and weak against the run.

Our run defense also fell off a cliff from 3.4 ypc allowed last year to 4.0 ypc allowed this year. That's terrible. Keep in mind that KJ missed one game and Wagner was limited in one game. We did lose Kam, and that definitely hurt us, even though we gave up big rushing performances to SF and TEN when Kam was healthy.

Not sure if we should switch out Richard, but the D definitely could do better. I did really like Richard's slot blitzes.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
adeltaY":3j55hn9h said:
HawkFan72":3j55hn9h said:
seabowl":3j55hn9h said:

Why? Didn't we absolutely destroy him in Super Bowl 48? His Defense was bad in Denver and Oakland.

Is it fair to use one game as an argument against a guy as a DC? I'm not even sure if Del Rio was that good, full disclosure. I know they were missing at least Chris Harris and Von Miller in the SB, two all-pro guys, which is a huge deal.

Ken Norton was hired by the 49ers.

The defense did problems this year, especially on 3rd down. I believe we were also the worst in the league at 3rd and 10+ defense, which is baffling. The DL was a huge disappointment too. If you saw the Steelers game today, they played about as poorly on the DL as our guys did against Jacksonville earlier in the year. Almost zero pressure the entire game and weak against the run.

Our run defense also fell off a cliff from 3.4 ypc allowed last year to 4.0 ypc allowed this year. That's terrible. Keep in mind that KJ missed one game and Wagner was limited in one game. We did lose Kam, and that definitely hurt us, even though we gave up big rushing performances to SF and TEN when Kam was healthy.

Not sure if we should switch out Richard, but the D definitely could do better. I did really like Richard's slot blitzes.
Good move by the Niners.

Garropolo will shred Seattle next season.

I see the Niners winning (at least) 10 games next season.