Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Offensive Line Coach options

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Offensive Line Coach options
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:31 am
  • Let's assume we do hire Schottenheimer, who becomes the offensive line coach? I don't know if he still wants to coach, but how about Paul Boudreau? He was Pete's OL coach in New Englang. He was Shotty's OK coach in St. Louis. Sounds just like what Pete wants:

Boudreau's stellar offensive lines over the years have helped pave the way for five running backs to top the 10,000-yard career rushing mark, including Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas, Fred Taylor and Steven Jackson.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Boudreau
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Offensive Line Coach options
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:49 am
  • I'll throw a name out - Chris Foerster. The guy who had the video of him doing cocaine posted.

Has completed extensive rehab since and pretty much lost everything, but wants to coach again. Seattle may be a good place for him to start a new life if he truly has changed.
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: CJ Prosise, Quill Griffin
    2016/2017 Adopt-A-UDFA: Lene Maiava, Jordan Roos
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm
  • Two names intrigue me:

Brent Key - Current Alabama OL coach. If the team wants to make it easier for young OL prospect to transition into the NFL, and if they are considering adapting College OL schemes, why not get a young college coach to do the job. He fits the Pete Carrol culture and would bring a fresh perspective

Bill Callahan - ACH/ OL coach Washington Redskins. I believe that Callahan's contract just ended, and I am sure that Washington would want to resign him. Represents the opposite of Key - veteran coach with years of NFL success. Worked alongside Schottenheimer with Jets.
    Spleenhawk2.0
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:39 pm
  • Give me Brent Key and I'll be happy.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 pm
  • I'd rather have Brent Key than have Chirs Foerster doing key bumps.

Bill Callahan looks like he'd be a solid choice, assuming he's free to talk to other teams.
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:08 pm
  • You need to start thinking about coaches that everyone else thinks are garbage. There you will have your pool of candidates.
    Last edited by King Dog on Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:09 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:I'll throw a name out - Chris Foerster. The guy who had the video of him doing cocaine posted.

Has completed extensive rehab since and pretty much lost everything, but wants to coach again. Seattle may be a good place for him to start a new life if he truly has changed.

No thanks, what is it with fans and even coaches wanting to take second chances on people, who have proven they probably don't deserve a second chance? Why not just go with the proven hire talked about above your post. I don't like this whole go get a guy from the supermarket and start him at left tackle, same thing can be said with coaching. Not everyone is fixable and not everyone's destiny is to coach in the NFL.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:16 pm
  • King Dog wrote:You need to start thinking about coaches that everyone else thinks are garbage. There you will have your pool of candidates.

BAM! Nailed it.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:24 pm
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:I'll throw a name out - Chris Foerster. The guy who had the video of him doing cocaine posted.

No thanks, what is it with fans and even coaches wanting to take second chances on people, who have proven they probably don't deserve a second chance? Why not just go with the proven hire talked about above your post. I don't like this whole go get a guy from the supermarket and start him at left tackle, same thing can be said with coaching. Not everyone is fixable and not everyone's destiny is to coach in the NFL.

Regarding Boudreau, the man doesn't seem to want to coach anymore, and his last gig was with the Rams didn't go all that great. Sure, he's had some historical success with the run game, but his recent stuff doesn't scream "must have candidate!" I suppose you think he's fixable, though? ;) Does he deserve a second chance? Did Pete?

Now, on to Foerster. Its apparent you have literally zero clue who he is. He isn't some JAG of a coach, or "guy from the supermarket." He's coached some damn good offensive lines and coordinated some damn good run games. He was the OL coach in Washington when Alfred Morris had 3 straight 1000 yard seasons. In his most recent full season, 2016, Jay Ajayi put up a healthy 1300 yards behind his line. He has actual recent success coaching offensive lines in the NFL.

He's an experienced, talented coach. Not a legendarily good coach, but solid. His main issue is with questionable off-the-field character, which is why he is probably not a candidate. If the guy is sober, I don't see why he doesn't deserve a second chance. There's a reason teams were trying to poach him, and Miami kept blocking them and raised his salary to $2.5m per year to keep him around.

He'll be back in the league not too long from now, and he'll probably go on to coach more pretty good offensive lines.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:01 am
  • King Dog wrote:You need to start thinking about coaches that everyone else thinks are garbage. There you will have your pool of candidates.

so true ! lol
    Gio
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 am
  • Mularkey was just fired by the Titans. OL coach Russ Grimm may be available soon.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:53 am
  • Alright guys, if you don't mind, I'd like to put in my .02 and provide a little direction to the conversation.
    In 2017, these were the top 10 teams in terms of rushing yards gained from scrimmage ...

1. Jacksonville
    2. Dallas
    3. Philadelphia
    4. Carolina
    5. New Orleans
    6. Buffalo
    7. Minnesota
    8. LA Rams
    9. Kansas City
    10. New England

That's no coincidence that those teams happen to be playoff teams this year. There's a REASON why Pete Carroll emphasizes running the football (why it's part of his DNA) -- why it's among his core values. You see it right there for yourself.

Anyway, here are a few guiding questions that I have:

1) As you take a look at those top 10 rushing teams there, what is it that they are doing (scheme and personnel-wise) that is so different than what the Seahawks have been doing under Tom Cable/Darrell Bevell? How are those teams finding success running the ball?

2) I think that we can agree that the Zone Blocking Scheme probably isn't going anywhere. Pete's used that since his days at USC. I honestly don't have a lot of time to watch a lot of OTHER NFL teams ... so, how many of those teams listed above are Zone Blocking Teams?

3) For those teams that are Zone Blocking Teams, how does their system DIFFER from the one that Tom Cable has been trying to implement here? Case in point -- Duane Brown. When Duane Brown first came here, he was dominant. As Ray Roberts pointed out, as time progressed, he started to regress, as he started to implement Cable's techniques. Can those out there who are really up on all the little nuances of line play explain HOW those systems differ? Take me inside to the finer points if you can.

4) If you endorse a particular candidate for Offensive Line Coach, can you explain WHY Candidate X would be a good fit here in Seattle?

Just a few guiding questions that I think might be helpful as we all collectively think about the Offensive Line Coach position here in Seattle.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:55 am
  • Wow. We went three posts in here before someone mentioned Bill Callahan.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:Wow. We went three posts in here before someone mentioned Bill Callahan.

Dilly Dilly
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am
  • Spleenhawk2.0 wrote:
    Bill Callahan - ACH/ OL coach Washington Redskins. I believe that Callahan's contract just ended, and I am sure that Washington would want to resign him. Represents the opposite of Key - veteran coach with years of NFL success. Worked alongside Schottenheimer with Jets.

This would be my #1 target with a bullet.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Mularkey was just fired by the Titans. OL coach Russ Grimm may be available soon.

Don't understand why Tennessee let him go. "Mutually agreed to part ways." I mean, Tennessee didn't beat New England but damn, a few, does, especially in playoffs.

I feel the Titans are going to be set back with this move.

I hope he lands in Seattle.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 am
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Mularkey was just fired by the Titans. OL coach Russ Grimm may be available soon.

Don't understand why Tennessee let him go. "Mutually agreed to part ways." I mean, Tennessee didn't beat New England but damn, a few, does, especially in playoffs.

I feel the Titans are going to be set back with this move.

I hope he lands in Seattle.

He coached a good line in Tenn for a scrambling QB. Seems like it could be a good fit.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 am
  • A-Dog wrote:I'd rather have Brent Key than have Chirs Foerster doing key bumps.

Bill Callahan looks like he'd be a solid choice, assuming he's free to talk to other teams.

King Dog wrote:You need to start thinking about coaches that everyone else thinks are garbage. There you will have your pool of candidates.

Callahan....pool????

Yes, I can see this working well with Ifedi! :twisted:

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:03 am
  • Blair Walsh.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]