Seahawks May Embrace College Style Offense

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
The crux of that article is patently absurd, with Florio's customary nebulous citing of "talk in league circles." There's no way the Hawks are going to play with fire and move to a college offense that entails Russell Wilson intentionally running the ball MORE. That would guarantee a drastically shortened shelf life for RW, and would be tantamount to a puppy on the side of a highway. The Hawks want and need RW to take less of a beating, not more of one.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2lz63oxi said:
The crux of that article is patently absurd, with Florio's customary nebulous citing of "talk in league circles." There's no way the Hawks are going to play with fire and move to a college offense that entails Russell Wilson intentionally running the ball MORE. That would guarantee a drastically shortened shelf life for RW, and would be tantamount to a puppy on the side of a highway. The Hawks want and need RW to take less of a beating, not more of one.

The only hard hits I've ever seen Wilson taken are in the pocket or when he's scrambling around escaping pressure. When he's running to get yards it's always out of bounds or a slide, rarely ever is he hit. He's not RGIII. Honestly with this line he's safer on a designed run than waiting for a deep route to develop.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think that the kind of "college style" offense they're looking for has a good chance to embrace additional spread offense concepts to take pressure off of the offensive line and open up some opportunities in the rushing attack.

Pete Carroll wants to run the ball. Maybe he is looking for someone to execute a Wisconsiny "manball" offense with emphasis on fullback, tight ends, and a smashmouth attitude?

We shall see.

TreeRon

Reaction score
When I saw what Houston was doing against the Hawks I could envision RW doing well in something akin to that. If that's a college offense then so be it, but what I saw was a pro offense with college influences.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
So does this mean we'll see more Legit Galilean Transformations?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Trrrroy":3d3plove said:
NorthDallas40oz":3d3plove said:

The only hard hits I've ever seen Wilson taken are in the pocket or when he's scrambling around escaping pressure. When he's running to get yards it's always out of bounds or a slide, rarely ever is he hit. He's not RGIII. Honestly with this line he's safer on a designed run than waiting for a deep route to develop.
BINGO! Money post! :2thumbs:

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
I would like to see how Russ does in a West coast offense to force the ball out quicker and use those short routes to supplement the run. He currently looks for the deep pass by design... it is likely his first read in Bevell's offense.
Given what we've seen this year Russ could possibly be better if he mastered the west coast offense. The ball gets out sooner and their should be less stress on the line.

Case Keenum who was an air raid qb in college made great strides in Shurmurs west coast offense in Minny.

Gibbo

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":uig6700q said:

Huh?

Russell’s best option in protecting himself has been running the ball.

A shortened shelf life is him getting pounded in the pocket from piss poor protection; not escaping the pocket and running to safety.

firebee

Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see us embrace a splitback option style offense. Put Carson and Davis or Rawls or any combination of decent backs that can run, block and catch in with a QB like Wilson and you can do an ininite amount of things. Fake handoffs, Misdirection, use a back as a lead blocker, pass protection, receivers out of the backfield. You can go big with TEs tight or pro and pound the ball, spread the offense out with 3 receiver sets, create mismatches with personnel and spacing to air it out. You can space the backs tight or spaced to give the backfield different looks. I want an offensive coordinator that will install that kind of offense. That's when the pro style college option offense, pro option college style offense or whatever style they want to call it will become real. It would be a magical houdini style offense that's perfectly built for a magically mobile QB to run.

cymatica

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2q4gng0d said:
So does this mean we'll see more Legit Galilean Transformations?

Hire a rugby coach for OC. Would be great entertainment execpt for that ball ssecurity part.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":1catr645 said:
this isn't going to happen.
It just might, if they decide to hire someone like DeFilippo.

How can you be so sure about this, and post something so matter-of-fact?

adeltaY

Reaction score
TreeRon":1m2vxsft said:
When I saw what Houston was doing against the Hawks I could envision RW doing well in something akin to that. If that's a college offense then so be it, but what I saw was a pro offense with college influences.

Yesss. I loved what BoB was going with Watson and it was on full display against us. I want our offense to incorporate those concepts.

The play where they did the fake hand-off to fake flat to deep TD was awesome.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
If this wasn't something that this board wanted, people would be laughing at Florio and his "talk in league circles".

But because people want change, Florio will get credit this time. Funny how things work.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Yes, please!!! This team needs a running game and RW scrambling often to weaken the defense up.

sedrohawk

Reaction score
Pete will never run a spread offense. He wants to be physical and run the ball. You should all know that by now.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Brian Schottenheimer is a Pro-Style offense guy, who strives for an equally strong run and pass game. He uses a lot of different personnel groupings, moving guys in and out with play designed to enhance the strengths of particular players.

Maybe we can get a real fullback, again.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1iwobozx said:
Brian Schottenheimer is a Pro-Style offense guy, who strives for an equally strong run and pass game. He uses a lot of different personnel groupings, moving guys in and out with play designed to enhance the strengths of particular players.

Maybe we can get a real fullback, again.

I don't really know much about BrianS (BS just doesn't sound right...), but if what you say is true, then I'm hopeful we may have more success.