Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Richard Sherman Calls Concussion Protocol "Absolute Joke"

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • "It's for public opinion, for them to show the public that they care about the players, they care about player safety," Sherman said in a Players Tribune video posted Thursday. "In a show of good faith and goodwill, they said we're going to have an independent trauma expert, an independent neurologist, approve people, and the same things are happening that were happening before."

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2753 ... =editorial
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 11864
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • I agree with Sherm 100% It's a publicity/PR stunt.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1570
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


  • Sherman is right, but how does the problem get fixed?
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    User avatar
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2266
    Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 am
    Location: Spokane, WA


  • Jerhawk wrote:Sherman is right, but how does the problem get fixed?


    Teams needs to start getting large fines/losing draft picks?
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4043
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • Jerhawk wrote:Sherman is right, but how does the problem get fixed?


    It doesn't, football is a contact sport. Seattle's Hawk Tackling that's been adapted from rugby is a step in the right direction. Good tackling technique and awareness are key. 4 corner drills should be mandatory.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1570
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


  • There’s always going to be concussions in football it’s pretty much unavoidable without some miracle helmet breakthrough. If the league was serious about player safety then there would be harsher penalties for illegal hits like Trevathan’s hit on Adams and Gronk’s totally ridiculous cheap shot on White. IMO, the penalties for illegal hits should be comparable to PEDs with repeat offenders being suspended indefinitely and having to apply for reinstatement.
    User avatar
    naholmes
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 298
    Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:02 pm


  • Sherman is obviously getting bored.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4406
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • :( My question would be if he really feels it's an "Absolute Joke" then why does he continue to play?

    It seem to me he wants to bash the process in a very detrimental way, but still is very happy to cash the checks. "IF" he really wants to make a statement, stop cashing the checks and stop playing. That I could respect.

    But this? :(
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2521
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • Sherman is still mad about Thursday night football.

    As long as that exists, everything in his mind that is for "player safety" is entirely for show
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3326
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • Sherman hates Thursday night football, calls the concussion protocol a joke, hates the league commissioner, and on, and on, and on. Seems like he'd rather not play and get a real "job". I wonder how happy hed be with a job that payed around $15 and if hed get away with being a chronic complainer in the real world? Something tells me he'd realize pretty quickly he's got it pretty good.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 251
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:55 am


  • Bunch of Jim Moore fans in this thread. SMDH.

    So if there is one aspect of your job you don’t like you should quit???? LOL.

    Hope some of you are careful climbing down off that high horse.

    Maybe some of you should try that route in your personal lives and see where that gets you.

    There are a ton of things I HATE in my day job but the benefits slightly outweigh the negatives so I stay.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24466
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Sports Hernia wrote:Bunch of Jim Moore fans in this thread. SMDH.

    So if there is one aspect of your job you don’t like you should quit???? LOL.

    Hope some of you are careful climbing down off that high horse.

    Maybe some of you should try that route in your personal lives and see where that gets you.

    There are a ton of things I HATE in my day job but the benefits slightly outweigh the negatives so I stay.

    Do you get to publicly, constantly complain about your job and not get fired? I don't think so. It's not just one thing with Sherman, he's a "negative Nancy", always has a problem with something and because he's a star athlete he gets a podium.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 251
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:55 am


  • Employers hate guys like Sherman because they call out their BS. And y'all, a lot of employers are full of BS. Preach, Sherm.

    And instead of tut-tuting the guy, you should be calling out your own bosses. Just because you bend over at work doesn't mean everyone else--or anyone else--should.
    User avatar
    WindCityHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2499
    Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:51 pm


  • SpokaneHawks wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Bunch of Jim Moore fans in this thread. SMDH.

    So if there is one aspect of your job you don’t like you should quit???? LOL.

    Hope some of you are careful climbing down off that high horse.

    Maybe some of you should try that route in your personal lives and see where that gets you.

    There are a ton of things I HATE in my day job but the benefits slightly outweigh the negatives so I stay.

    Do you get to publicly, constantly complain about your job and not get fired? I don't think so. It's not just one thing with Sherman, he's a "negative Nancy", always has a problem with something and because he's a star athlete he gets a podium.

    I just did publicly complain about my day job. I have zero problems with folks that question authority when it’s warranted, and it’s very warranted in this case despite your agenda.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24466
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • WindCityHawk wrote:Employers hate guys like Sherman because they call out their BS. And y'all, a lot of employers are full of BS. Preach, Sherm.

    And instead of tut-tuting the guy, you should be calling out your own bosses. Just because you bend over at work doesn't mean everyone else--or anyone else--should.

    BINGO!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24466
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


  • Lets also consider the fact that Sherman is a headline whore, and right now this is the only way he can make them. Not saying there isn't some truth to his bitch, I'm saying without solutions this is just bitching and "standing up to the bully".
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4406
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Sports Hernia wrote:I just did publicly complain about my day job. I have zero problems with folks that question authority when it’s warranted, and it’s very warranted in this case despite your agenda.


    A non-specific complaint on a secluded forum by an anonymous person towards an unknown employer.

    You sure are brave.
    User avatar
    Mindsink
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 332
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am


  • Yes, Sherm is a bit of an attention whore.

    And yes, the concussion protocol is probably not as effective as it should be and more should be done, so he's right to some degree.

    Clicks generated, problem solved.

    :twisted:
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

    SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    User avatar
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77
     
    Posts: 17390
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • Mindsink wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:I just did publicly complain about my day job. I have zero problems with folks that question authority when it’s warranted, and it’s very warranted in this case despite your agenda.


    A non-specific complaint on a secluded forum by an anonymous person towards an unknown employer.

    You sure are brave.

    LMAO
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 251
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:55 am


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    SpokaneHawks wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Bunch of Jim Moore fans in this thread. SMDH.

    So if there is one aspect of your job you don’t like you should quit???? LOL.

    Hope some of you are careful climbing down off that high horse.

    Maybe some of you should try that route in your personal lives and see where that gets you.

    There are a ton of things I HATE in my day job but the benefits slightly outweigh the negatives so I stay.

    Do you get to publicly, constantly complain about your job and not get fired? I don't think so. It's not just one thing with Sherman, he's a "negative Nancy", always has a problem with something and because he's a star athlete he gets a podium.

    I just did publicly complain about my day job. I have zero problems with folks that question authority when it’s warranted, and it’s very warranted in this case despite your agenda.

    Agenda? Warranted? LOL, is this you Richard? He gets paid millions to play a game that he supposedly loves. If hes scared of a concussion, you know, he could find other work. Football players complaining about a concussion in a violent sport is almost as sad as a boxer who says he didnt know he could damage his brain!
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 251
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:55 am


  • This is a CYA move by the NFL because now they can show that when it became apparent that the effects of head trauma was causing CTE in players, that they took action to prevent it.
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    User avatar
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 796
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


  • themunn wrote:Sherman is still mad about Thursday night football.

    As long as that exists, everything in his mind that is for "player safety" is entirely for show


    And he's not wrong in thinking that.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 11365
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    themunn wrote:Sherman is still mad about Thursday night football.

    As long as that exists, everything in his mind that is for "player safety" is entirely for show


    And he's not wrong in thinking that.


    The players are fully complicit in this, however. I mean no one put a gun to Russ's head and told him to flip the bird to the doctors and run back out on the field after taking a shot. It was to the chin, mind, but still the protocol is supposed to be the protocol.

    This point by Richard is faux-insight. Yes, of course PR is part of the motivation for everything an entertainment-based industry does. The mistake Sherman is making - and I suspect he's making it deliberately to make his point seem less banal - is in not acknowledging that the motivation for everything is multiple. One slice of the pie may be genuine concern for player welfare. One slice of the pie is definitely financial in not wanting to turn games into dreck because the star players are all sidelined.

    Sherman's schtick is the outspoken social conscience or something and it's about as compelling as any other twenty-something who has a thought and thinks they are the first one to ever think it.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8340
    Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm


  • SpokaneHawks wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Bunch of Jim Moore fans in this thread. SMDH.

    So if there is one aspect of your job you don’t like you should quit???? LOL.

    Hope some of you are careful climbing down off that high horse.

    Maybe some of you should try that route in your personal lives and see where that gets you.

    There are a ton of things I HATE in my day job but the benefits slightly outweigh the negatives so I stay.

    Do you get to publicly, constantly complain about your job and not get fired? I don't think so. It's not just one thing with Sherman, he's a "negative Nancy", always has a problem with something and because he's a star athlete he gets a podium.


    I'm with Hernia and Windy. Man we sure love to hate on our players as people when we don't even know them personally. I don't get the whole "athletes need to stick to playing and shut their mouths otherwise" attitude which this quote reminds me of.

    Is there any evidence that Sherman doesn't like playing? I mean playing with one arm in the SB and as long as he could on a ticking time bomb of an achilles this season points strongly in the other direction. I'd say he puts it all on the line and gives 100% every snap no questions asked.

    He's actually trying to raise issues to help improve his profession. Are you saying that if there's a health hazard at your workplace it would be wrong to bring it up because it would be complaining?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2028
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • kf3339 wrote::( My question would be if he really feels it's an "Absolute Joke" then why does he continue to play?

    It seem to me he wants to bash the process in a very detrimental way, but still is very happy to cash the checks. "IF" he really wants to make a statement, stop cashing the checks and stop playing. That I could respect.

    But this? :(



    Kind of a simplistic, cynical approach to what he's saying

    Sherman and other football players have been playing football since pee wee football. Practically their entire lives. They LOVE football. They also understand the PSYCHOLOGY of football. In order to live up to the intensity, football players have to psyche themselves into a violent, physical mindset. For 60 mins or more realistically, 3 hours. Knowing that, it is the responsible thing for the NFL to protect players from themselves and show that they do indeed care about their health. As any legit employer should

    Asking a player to give up a career he's been preparing for, for practically TWO DECADES is illogical. This is the career he chose, and is essentially stuck in. He's built his family and his family's future around it. That does not make his point any less legitimate, and suggesting he simply give up football, especially for someone like him who grew up poor in rough circumstances is the epitome of tone deafness. You can work for a company while also wanting them to have better morals
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 600
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • Meh, I did get a laugh out of the Texans TJ Yates getting yanked out of week 17 game for "protocal" when you saw he didn't even get hit in the head. I said to my buddy, thats NCAA type enforcement of the concussion protocal.... the running gag that when North Carolina, Duke or some blue blood does an NCAA infraction that a UT San Antonio, or a San Jose State is gonna get hammered!

    Then Cam gets smushed and is very much "going to the cocktail party" yet he comes back in.

    But im not a hypocrit.... I don't want to watch Derek Anderson in the fourth quarter of a NFL playoff game. Give Cam some smelling salts and throw him back out there..
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1645
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


  • Isn't Sherman a Union Rep for the team as well, calling out inconsistencies is also a part of that.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23983
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Concussion protocol has a NIMBY feel to it.

    Everyone will tweet and scream their social media heads off at examples of the protocol being skirted..... as long as its not their QB who is forced to sit out........
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1645
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


  • SpokaneHawks wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Bunch of Jim Moore fans in this thread. SMDH.

    So if there is one aspect of your job you don’t like you should quit???? LOL.

    Hope some of you are careful climbing down off that high horse.

    Maybe some of you should try that route in your personal lives and see where that gets you.

    There are a ton of things I HATE in my day job but the benefits slightly outweigh the negatives so I stay.

    Do you get to publicly, constantly complain about your job and not get fired? I don't think so. It's not just one thing with Sherman, he's a "negative Nancy", always has a problem with something and because he's a star athlete he gets a podium.



    Actually yes you do. May I introduce you to the American concept of a Union? You know, that pesky collaboration of individuals to which employees suddenly feel emboldened enough to either go on strike, or demand better work conditions. Like air conditioning, or a longer lunch break?

    Not to mention people who sit down with their employers and address their concerns. Which any employer with a brain and doesn't want high turnover will listen to
    User avatar
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 600
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:05 am


  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    themunn wrote:Sherman is still mad about Thursday night football.

    As long as that exists, everything in his mind that is for "player safety" is entirely for show


    And he's not wrong in thinking that.


    I agree!
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3326
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • gowazzu02 wrote:Concussion protocol has a NIMBY feel to it.

    Everyone will tweet and scream their social media heads off at examples of the protocol being skirted..... as long as its not their QB who is forced to sit out........


    This is a part of it in my perception as well...but there is one more portion to it as well. It is a bit easier to control the game's ebb and flow if you can control it by personnel allowed as well as the striped ones throwing terrible towels.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7615
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


  • I did wonder a little about KJ not clearing 'the protocol' after a week.
    User avatar
    daveyoung52
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 158
    Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:15 am
    Location: u.k.


  • Scorpion05 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote::( My question would be if he really feels it's an "Absolute Joke" then why does he continue to play?

    It seem to me he wants to bash the process in a very detrimental way, but still is very happy to cash the checks. "IF" he really wants to make a statement, stop cashing the checks and stop playing. That I could respect.

    But this? :(



    Kind of a simplistic, cynical approach to what he's saying

    Sherman and other football players have been playing football since pee wee football. Practically their entire lives. They LOVE football. They also understand the PSYCHOLOGY of football. In order to live up to the intensity, football players have to psyche themselves into a violent, physical mindset. For 60 mins or more realistically, 3 hours. Knowing that, it is the responsible thing for the NFL to protect players from themselves and show that they do indeed care about their health. As any legit employer should

    Asking a player to give up a career he's been preparing for, for practically TWO DECADES is illogical. This is the career he chose, and is essentially stuck in. He's built his family and his family's future around it. That does not make his point any less legitimate, and suggesting he simply give up football, especially for someone like him who grew up poor in rough circumstances is the epitome of tone deafness. You can work for a company while also wanting them to have better morals


    Not at all. Anyone who has played the game from junior high on knows that it is and will always be a very violent sport. Football isn't baseball, or basketball in the affect on the human body. What a players personal life experiences as a child has no bearing at all. Most of us didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths. But we all grew up making choices for ourselves or thru our parents permission when it came time to playing competitive sports.

    I seriously doubt the dangers of football including concussions which were then called getting knocked senseless wasn't known by Sherman or any other professional player. This was the case in junior high and high school. The difference is they made the choice to continue playing that sport. It wasn't the only avenue of sport they could have chosen. There are also plenty of examples of people coming from challenging childhoods to become famous and wealthy without ever playing a professional sport. They chose a different path for themselves.

    Richard Sherman like every other player made the decision to take the risk and play this game. They wanted the potential of professional and financial success that comes to those who play the game at the highest level. I don't begrudge them at all for that sacrifice. But I also don't feel pity for them when the risk of the game hits them now after they have made that success.

    Sherman called the owners and the process an "absolute Joke". His words, not mine. I just know a hypocritical statement when I see one.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2521
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • He is right it is an absolute joke. If the NFL was serious they would ban the current shoulder pads and helmets. After that, they would enforce weight limits and cancel Thursday night football in its current format. The NFL knows what it needs to do but is unwilling to do any of it because of they are paralyzed by fear.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1878
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


  • kf3339 wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote::( My question would be if he really feels it's an "Absolute Joke" then why does he continue to play?

    It seem to me he wants to bash the process in a very detrimental way, but still is very happy to cash the checks. "IF" he really wants to make a statement, stop cashing the checks and stop playing. That I could respect.

    But this? :(



    Kind of a simplistic, cynical approach to what he's saying

    Sherman and other football players have been playing football since pee wee football. Practically their entire lives. They LOVE football. They also understand the PSYCHOLOGY of football. In order to live up to the intensity, football players have to psyche themselves into a violent, physical mindset. For 60 mins or more realistically, 3 hours. Knowing that, it is the responsible thing for the NFL to protect players from themselves and show that they do indeed care about their health. As any legit employer should

    Asking a player to give up a career he's been preparing for, for practically TWO DECADES is illogical. This is the career he chose, and is essentially stuck in. He's built his family and his family's future around it. That does not make his point any less legitimate, and suggesting he simply give up football, especially for someone like him who grew up poor in rough circumstances is the epitome of tone deafness. You can work for a company while also wanting them to have better morals


    Not at all. Anyone who has played the game from junior high on knows that it is and will always be a very violent sport. Football isn't baseball, or basketball in the affect on the human body. What a players personal life experiences as a child has no bearing at all. Most of us didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths. But we all grew up making choices for ourselves or thru our parents permission when it came time to playing competitive sports.

    I seriously doubt the dangers of football including concussions which were then called getting knocked senseless wasn't known by Sherman or any other professional player. This was the case in junior high and high school. The difference is they made the choice to continue playing that sport. It wasn't the only avenue of sport they could have chosen. There are also plenty of examples of people coming from challenging childhoods to become famous and wealthy without ever playing a professional sport. They chose a different path for themselves.

    Richard Sherman like every other player made the decision to take the risk and play this game. They wanted the potential of professional and financial success that comes to those who play the game at the highest level. I don't begrudge them at all for that sacrifice. But I also don't feel pity for them when the risk of the game hits them now after they have made that success.

    Sherman called the owners and the process an "absolute Joke". His words, not mine. I just know a hypocritical statement when I see one.


    So if construction companies didn't enact the proper safety regulations, the workers shouldn't complain about it because they knew going in it was a dangerous job? They know the potential risk and the companies should do everything feasible to mitigate those risks. Same thing here.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2028
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


  • kf3339 wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote::( My question would be if he really feels it's an "Absolute Joke" then why does he continue to play?

    It seem to me he wants to bash the process in a very detrimental way, but still is very happy to cash the checks. "IF" he really wants to make a statement, stop cashing the checks and stop playing. That I could respect.

    But this? :(



    Kind of a simplistic, cynical approach to what he's saying

    Sherman and other football players have been playing football since pee wee football. Practically their entire lives. They LOVE football. They also understand the PSYCHOLOGY of football. In order to live up to the intensity, football players have to psyche themselves into a violent, physical mindset. For 60 mins or more realistically, 3 hours. Knowing that, it is the responsible thing for the NFL to protect players from themselves and show that they do indeed care about their health. As any legit employer should

    Asking a player to give up a career he's been preparing for, for practically TWO DECADES is illogical. This is the career he chose, and is essentially stuck in. He's built his family and his family's future around it. That does not make his point any less legitimate, and suggesting he simply give up football, especially for someone like him who grew up poor in rough circumstances is the epitome of tone deafness. You can work for a company while also wanting them to have better morals


    Not at all. Anyone who has played the game from junior high on knows that it is and will always be a very violent sport. Football isn't baseball, or basketball in the affect on the human body. What a players personal life experiences as a child has no bearing at all. Most of us didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths. But we all grew up making choices for ourselves or thru our parents permission when it came time to playing competitive sports.

    I seriously doubt the dangers of football including concussions which were then called getting knocked senseless wasn't known by Sherman or any other professional player. This was the case in junior high and high school. The difference is they made the choice to continue playing that sport. It wasn't the only avenue of sport they could have chosen. There are also plenty of examples of people coming from challenging childhoods to become famous and wealthy without ever playing a professional sport. They chose a different path for themselves.

    Richard Sherman like every other player made the decision to take the risk and play this game. They wanted the potential of professional and financial success that comes to those who play the game at the highest level. I don't begrudge them at all for that sacrifice. But I also don't feel pity for them when the risk of the game hits them now after they have made that success.

    Sherman called the owners and the process an "absolute Joke". His words, not mine. I just know a hypocritical statement when I see one.

    Well said.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 251
    Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:55 am


  • naholmes wrote:...If the league was serious about player safety then there would be harsher penalties for illegal hits like Trevathan’s hit on Adams and Gronk’s totally ridiculous cheap shot on White. IMO, the penalties for illegal hits should be comparable to PEDs with repeat offenders being suspended indefinitely and having to apply for reinstatement.


    So totally THIS.

    OK, so it can get to be a slippery slope, like the "defenseless player" rules, where the defense has an impossible task on a guy who ducks into a helmet-to-helmet hit when the defender is already committed to a specific angle of impact on a tackle. BUT... with film review, things become apparent over time, patterns of dirty, illegal hits by specific players. Like DT Ndamukong Suh and his dirty plays. (Seems to have tapered off on those) Besides, the drama over dirty play and name calling of players and personal grudges is good for NFL business, in a soap opera attention-whore click-bait kind of way.
    2017 Adopt-A-Rookie: Chris Carson
    User avatar
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1954
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:03 am


  • adeltaY wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote::( My question would be if he really feels it's an "Absolute Joke" then why does he continue to play?

    It seem to me he wants to bash the process in a very detrimental way, but still is very happy to cash the checks. "IF" he really wants to make a statement, stop cashing the checks and stop playing. That I could respect.

    But this? :(



    Kind of a simplistic, cynical approach to what he's saying

    Sherman and other football players have been playing football since pee wee football. Practically their entire lives. They LOVE football. They also understand the PSYCHOLOGY of football. In order to live up to the intensity, football players have to psyche themselves into a violent, physical mindset. For 60 mins or more realistically, 3 hours. Knowing that, it is the responsible thing for the NFL to protect players from themselves and show that they do indeed care about their health. As any legit employer should

    Asking a player to give up a career he's been preparing for, for practically TWO DECADES is illogical. This is the career he chose, and is essentially stuck in. He's built his family and his family's future around it. That does not make his point any less legitimate, and suggesting he simply give up football, especially for someone like him who grew up poor in rough circumstances is the epitome of tone deafness. You can work for a company while also wanting them to have better morals


    Not at all. Anyone who has played the game from junior high on knows that it is and will always be a very violent sport. Football isn't baseball, or basketball in the affect on the human body. What a players personal life experiences as a child has no bearing at all. Most of us didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths. But we all grew up making choices for ourselves or thru our parents permission when it came time to playing competitive sports.

    I seriously doubt the dangers of football including concussions which were then called getting knocked senseless wasn't known by Sherman or any other professional player. This was the case in junior high and high school. The difference is they made the choice to continue playing that sport. It wasn't the only avenue of sport they could have chosen. There are also plenty of examples of people coming from challenging childhoods to become famous and wealthy without ever playing a professional sport. They chose a different path for themselves.

    Richard Sherman like every other player made the decision to take the risk and play this game. They wanted the potential of professional and financial success that comes to those who play the game at the highest level. I don't begrudge them at all for that sacrifice. But I also don't feel pity for them when the risk of the game hits them now after they have made that success.

    Sherman called the owners and the process an "absolute Joke". His words, not mine. I just know a hypocritical statement when I see one.


    So if construction companies didn't enact the proper safety regulations, the workers shouldn't complain about it because they knew going in it was a dangerous job? They know the potential risk and the companies should do everything feasible to mitigate those risks. Same thing here.[/quote

    Show me a construction worker who makes millions of dollars per year. That isn't even close to the same situation as professional athletics. No other profession can be compared to those parameters.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2521
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • kf3339 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    Scorpion05 wrote:

    Kind of a simplistic, cynical approach to what he's saying

    Sherman and other football players have been playing football since pee wee football. Practically their entire lives. They LOVE football. They also understand the PSYCHOLOGY of football. In order to live up to the intensity, football players have to psyche themselves into a violent, physical mindset. For 60 mins or more realistically, 3 hours. Knowing that, it is the responsible thing for the NFL to protect players from themselves and show that they do indeed care about their health. As any legit employer should

    Asking a player to give up a career he's been preparing for, for practically TWO DECADES is illogical. This is the career he chose, and is essentially stuck in. He's built his family and his family's future around it. That does not make his point any less legitimate, and suggesting he simply give up football, especially for someone like him who grew up poor in rough circumstances is the epitome of tone deafness. You can work for a company while also wanting them to have better morals


    Not at all. Anyone who has played the game from junior high on knows that it is and will always be a very violent sport. Football isn't baseball, or basketball in the affect on the human body. What a players personal life experiences as a child has no bearing at all. Most of us didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths. But we all grew up making choices for ourselves or thru our parents permission when it came time to playing competitive sports.

    I seriously doubt the dangers of football including concussions which were then called getting knocked senseless wasn't known by Sherman or any other professional player. This was the case in junior high and high school. The difference is they made the choice to continue playing that sport. It wasn't the only avenue of sport they could have chosen. There are also plenty of examples of people coming from challenging childhoods to become famous and wealthy without ever playing a professional sport. They chose a different path for themselves.

    Richard Sherman like every other player made the decision to take the risk and play this game. They wanted the potential of professional and financial success that comes to those who play the game at the highest level. I don't begrudge them at all for that sacrifice. But I also don't feel pity for them when the risk of the game hits them now after they have made that success.

    Sherman called the owners and the process an "absolute Joke". His words, not mine. I just know a hypocritical statement when I see one.


    So if construction companies didn't enact the proper safety regulations, the workers shouldn't complain about it because they knew going in it was a dangerous job? They know the potential risk and the companies should do everything feasible to mitigate those risks. Same thing here.[/quote

    Show me a construction worker who makes millions of dollars per year. That isn't even close to the same situation as professional athletics. No other profession can be compared to those parameters.


    Injuries in construction are caused by mishaps and human error, not by normal courses of work. This isn't even a valid parallel. If you want to draw a parallel, look at soldiers in combat exposed to explosive ordinance and exhibiting CTE. Look at MMA fighters etc.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1570
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    Not at all. Anyone who has played the game from junior high on knows that it is and will always be a very violent sport. Football isn't baseball, or basketball in the affect on the human body. What a players personal life experiences as a child has no bearing at all. Most of us didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths. But we all grew up making choices for ourselves or thru our parents permission when it came time to playing competitive sports.

    I seriously doubt the dangers of football including concussions which were then called getting knocked senseless wasn't known by Sherman or any other professional player. This was the case in junior high and high school. The difference is they made the choice to continue playing that sport. It wasn't the only avenue of sport they could have chosen. There are also plenty of examples of people coming from challenging childhoods to become famous and wealthy without ever playing a professional sport. They chose a different path for themselves.

    Richard Sherman like every other player made the decision to take the risk and play this game. They wanted the potential of professional and financial success that comes to those who play the game at the highest level. I don't begrudge them at all for that sacrifice. But I also don't feel pity for them when the risk of the game hits them now after they have made that success.

    Sherman called the owners and the process an "absolute Joke". His words, not mine. I just know a hypocritical statement when I see one.


    So if construction companies didn't enact the proper safety regulations, the workers shouldn't complain about it because they knew going in it was a dangerous job? They know the potential risk and the companies should do everything feasible to mitigate those risks. Same thing here.[/quote

    Show me a construction worker who makes millions of dollars per year. That isn't even close to the same situation as professional athletics. No other profession can be compared to those parameters.


    Injuries in construction are caused by mishaps and human error, not by normal courses of work. This isn't even a valid parallel. If you want to draw a parallel, look at soldiers in combat exposed to explosive ordinance and exhibiting CTE. Look at MMA fighters etc.


    I didn't draw the parallels to construction workers. Another poster did. But if we are going down the road of MMA fighters or professional Boxers, I would make the same argument.

    If we are going down the soldiers in combat, or security personnel ( police officers, border patrol) road I would say the same things that they aren't paid millions of dollars per year in their profession.

    Professional athletes absolutely know they are in a high risk business well before they sign the dotted line on a contract. They made that choice on their own free will. No one put a gun to their head to join that profession.

    My point is still the same, and will never change. A professional football player either accepts the risk inherent in the profession for incomes far greater than the average worker, or they change professions. It's that simple.

    A SF Niner defensive player made that exact choice a year or so ago. That I respect.

    Sherman's rant. No!
    kf3339
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2521
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:52 pm


  • Sox-n-Hawks wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    Not at all. Anyone who has played the game from junior high on knows that it is and will always be a very violent sport. Football isn't baseball, or basketball in the affect on the human body. What a players personal life experiences as a child has no bearing at all. Most of us didn't grow up with silver spoons in our mouths. But we all grew up making choices for ourselves or thru our parents permission when it came time to playing competitive sports.

    I seriously doubt the dangers of football including concussions which were then called getting knocked senseless wasn't known by Sherman or any other professional player. This was the case in junior high and high school. The difference is they made the choice to continue playing that sport. It wasn't the only avenue of sport they could have chosen. There are also plenty of examples of people coming from challenging childhoods to become famous and wealthy without ever playing a professional sport. They chose a different path for themselves.

    Richard Sherman like every other player made the decision to take the risk and play this game. They wanted the potential of professional and financial success that comes to those who play the game at the highest level. I don't begrudge them at all for that sacrifice. But I also don't feel pity for them when the risk of the game hits them now after they have made that success.

    Sherman called the owners and the process an "absolute Joke". His words, not mine. I just know a hypocritical statement when I see one.


    So if construction companies didn't enact the proper safety regulations, the workers shouldn't complain about it because they knew going in it was a dangerous job? They know the potential risk and the companies should do everything feasible to mitigate those risks. Same thing here.[/quote

    Show me a construction worker who makes millions of dollars per year. That isn't even close to the same situation as professional athletics. No other profession can be compared to those parameters.


    Injuries in construction are caused by mishaps and human error, not by normal courses of work. This isn't even a valid parallel. If you want to draw a parallel, look at soldiers in combat exposed to explosive ordinance and exhibiting CTE. Look at MMA fighters etc.


    there are safeguards in place to limit human error and those are systemic in nature and thus comparable to this issue in the NFL.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2028
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR




It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online