Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Doug Baldwin interview on ESPN's First Take

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• He says the Earl Thomas statement to the Cowboys "wasn't much of an issue" once he spoke to Earl about it.

Also says he thinks the offense doesn't need more weapons. Does he know that Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson are unrestricted free agents?
    Last edited by hawknation2018 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:Also says he doesn't think the offense doesn't need more weapons. Does he know that Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson are unrestricted free agents?

Yah, he wants a 2k Yard 20 TD season. I wish I had that kinda confidence ;)
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

• hawknation2018 wrote:
    He says the Earl Thomas statement to the Cowboys "wasn't much of an issue" once he spoke to Earl about it.

Also says he thinks the offense doesn't need more weapons. Does he know that Jimmy Graham and Paul Richardson are unrestricted free agents?

As of this moment in time, they aren't free agents. They don't become free agents until the league year ends and free agency begins. Conceivably, they could be re-signed well before that time. None of us know whether that will happen or if that's the plan, but to answer the question as of today, they are all still teammates.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Saw that, he basically took the high road and said bevell and cable were not an issue and it was all on the players.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• Yeah, he said what he was supposed to say.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• He wasn't going throw players under the bus. I respect that. He knows damn well this team needs some O line talent.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Baldwin is an established leader on this team. Nothing he said in that interview should be a surprise to any 12.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• >ESPN
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:He wasn't going throw players under the bus. I respect that. He knows damn well this team needs some O line talent.

They sure tried to get him to so though.
    Last edited by seahawkfreak on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• Doug may be taking the high road in this interview but the reality is this entire team needs the offense to have a running game. Everyone, even causual fans, see this. While Russell Wilson's legs help give the offensive line a break in pass protection, once they are taken out of the equation on a non-read option running play, the offensive line just simply needs to execute and they just haven't been.
    HoldYourHawk
    NET Rookie

• Baldwin is too good for ESPN.

That place is a dumpster fire...
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• semiahmoo wrote:Baldwin is too good for ESPN.

That place is a dumpster fire...

Come on, Semi....tell us how you really feel. :sarcasm_on:
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

• I get Doug saying players need to execute. But isn't in on coaches through practice and preparation to turn players into a highly functioning unit? If the players aren't executing, isn't the staff supposed to "coach them up"?
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• HawkRiderFan wrote:I get Doug saying players need to execute. But isn't in on coaches through practice and preparation to turn players into a highly functioning unit? If the players aren't executing, isn't the staff supposed to "coach them up"?

Yes, but Doug would never go on record saying that!
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• He knows they are free agents after the end of the season. He has always pushed to get talent paid here or not. He chose to mention them first.
    "When is the NFL going to start fining receivers for running routes across KAM’S MIDDLE?!?!"
    -bpup33
    Sprfunk
    NET Veteran

• Doug knows Russ is a average at best NFL QB who struggles with seeing over the Lineman and getting a proper read on the field. He's hoping as are the rest of us that the new coaching staff can make Russ better where he doesn't have to escape the pocket all the time to see the field.
    RCATES
    NET Starter

• RCATES wrote:Doug knows Russ is a average at best NFL QB who struggles with seeing over the Lineman and getting a proper read on the field. He's hoping as are the rest of us that the new coaching staff can make Russ better where he doesn't have to escape the pocket all the time to see the field.

Did you just say Wilson is average when he is at his best.... :pukeface:
    rcaido
    NET Starter

• RCATES wrote:Doug knows Russ is a average at best NFL QB who struggles with seeing over the Lineman and getting a proper read on the field. He's hoping as are the rest of us that the new coaching staff can make Russ better where he doesn't have to escape the pocket all the time to see the field.

Dude... seriously? :34853_doh:

All credibility=gone
    NET Veteran

Northseahawk? Is that you? You don't need an alt, you know...
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Doug's had a chip on his shoulder about our "pedestrian" receivers since day one, so this interview isn't really news to me.

Of course he's going to defend his coaches, of course he's going to say it's all execution....................and of course he's not going to say we need more talent on offense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

EH?

As a whole Wilson is a better than average QB - and often much better than average. In certain situations he struggles.
    I'll grant you the height thing is a mucher bigger (no pun intended) issue than some in here wish to acknowledge. He misses receivers sometimes and it appears he just can't see them over the line.

His speed and determination make up for that weakness IMO.

C'mon, the guys is a baller. Plays his guts out every play of every game.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:Baldwin is an established leader on this team. Nothing he said in that interview should be a surprise to any 12.

I completely agree 100% Aros. This is the first chance that I've had a chance to see this ... and absolutely nothing shocked me whatsoever. This is exactly what I'd expect him to say and how he would act. This is how team leaders conduct themselves.

I was listening to 710 ESPN heading into work yesterday morning ... and something Brock Huard said was very telling. He talked about being the Huskies starting QB under Jim Lambright in 1998 (Lambright got fired by the UW after the 1998 season). Brock said that he and many of those players still carry that very deeply. He said that HE feels he got Lambright fired because HE wasn't good enough as a player. So, a full 20 years later ... you can see the player mentality there right up front for you. The players will always tend to be the ones who tend to shoulder a lot of the blame ... whether that's ACTUALLY true or not. Some of that is true, yes. SOME of that is on the players (for failing to execute) ... but not ALL.
    Whenever problems exist it is too easy to point ALL of the fingers either outward ... or inward. In reality though, when you see issues ... it is rarely (to almost never) all one thing. When teams fail, there are usually MANY different factors -- many different reasons.

And from the other side, I think that this why (when you're looking at evaluating the team as a whole), you have to kind of discount what the players think and believe. You have to step back and view things from 10,000 feet. Sometimes you get a better view of the entire situation. It has been clear for quite some time that Bevell and Cable have been a big part of the problem, which is why it was absolutely time for them to go. The players though? They won't tend to see that. A lot of players will tend to shoulder the entire blame.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

• Hawkscanner wrote:
    Aros wrote:Baldwin is an established leader on this team. Nothing he said in that interview should be a surprise to any 12.

I completely agree 100% Aros. This is the first chance that I've had a chance to see this ... and absolutely nothing shocked me whatsoever. This is exactly what I'd expect him to say and how he would act. This is how team leaders conduct themselves.

I was listening to 710 ESPN heading into work yesterday morning ... and something Brock Huard said was very telling. He talked about being the Huskies starting QB under Jim Lambright in 1998 (Lambright got fired by the UW after the 1998 season). Brock said that he and many of those players still carry that very deeply. He said that HE feels he got Lambright fired because HE wasn't good enough as a player. So, a full 20 years later ... you can see the player mentality there right up front for you. The players will always tend to be the ones who tend to shoulder a lot of the blame ... whether that's ACTUALLY true or not. Some of that is true, yes. SOME of that is on the players (for failing to execute) ... but not ALL.
    Whenever problems exist it is too easy to point ALL of the fingers either outward ... or inward. In reality though, when you see issues ... it is rarely (to almost never) all one thing. When teams fail, there are usually MANY different factors -- many different reasons.

And from the other side, I think that this why (when you're looking at evaluating the team as a whole), you have to kind of discount what the players think and believe. You have to step back and view things from 10,000 feet. Sometimes you get a better view of the entire situation. It has been clear for quite some time that Bevell and Cable have been a big part of the problem, which is why it was absolutely time for them to go. The players though? They won't tend to see that. A lot of players will tend to shoulder the entire blame.

All these is very true and a very big picture view, but ultimately it is about players executing.

You can (theoretically) have the greatest OC, calling the best play ever developed and if the QB misses a read, lineman jumps offsides, RB doesn’t see a cutback, or the WR drops the ball, the play becomes garbage.

In the ultimate team sport, coaches have a lot of say in the success or failure of an offense. But if the players can’t execute the only choice left is to change players or change plays the players you have can execute.

The hardest part is deciding which is necessary.
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information