Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Free Agent Targets?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Free Agent Targets?
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:10 am
  • After today's events I've been looking forward to the off-season with renewed enthusiasm and taking a look at the list of upcoming free agents and who could potentially be good fits.

One of the first ones that jumped out to me was to bring back Clinton McDonald. He was a solid depth guy for us in his last year here and has been steady in Tampa Bay. Last year he was awesome with 10 QB Hits to go along with 5 sacks. I think he would make an interesting option that shouldn't break the bank.

Another guy I thought of was Alex Okafor who looked really good in New Orleans this year before he went down with a torn Achilles. The injury will likely lower his price. He had 4.5 sacks in just 10 games this year and is still just 26 years old.

I know we just brought in Jason Myers but with Pete's love of competition for jobs, Caleb Sturgis could be another option at Kicker. He started the year as the Eagles starter but Elliott looks like he's taken that job now. Sturgis has a strong leg and is also pretty accurate so far in his career, he's converted 97% of his PATs and 81% of his FGs. This year 50+ yard kicks weren't even a consideration for us, Walsh only attempted 1 the entire year (which of course he missed), Sturgis has routinely been a good distance kicker thus far in his career. Myers lost his job because he was struggling and was eventually given up on by his team, I'm not sure if I want to see us invest in another kicker with potential confidence issues. Sturgis just simply got hurt and I think makes a far better choice.

Curious to see what you guys think would be targets we could look at this off-season.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Starter

Re: Free Agent Targets?
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm
  • None. Zero room in the salary cap to sign big name free agents. Gotta make some big cuts to bring anyone with a name you recognize to the team.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:25 pm
  • QuickLightning wrote:None. Zero room in the salary cap to sign big name free agents. Gotta make some big cuts to bring anyone with a name you recognize to the team.

Not all free agents are big name and none of the guys the OP listed were.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:26 pm
  • We've all said to our kids, "You eyes are bigger than your stomach" while at the dinner table. In this case, our eyes may be bigger than our wallets!! :177692:
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:22 pm
  • Very confident Allen Robinson will be a Seahawk.

(If he doesn’t get tagged)
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:27 pm
  • original poster wrote:Very confident Allen Robinson will be a Seahawk.

Huh, very intriguing.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:28 pm
  • original poster wrote:Very confident Allen Robinson will be a Seahawk.

So you expecting Baldwin and someone else big gets cut? Because no way in hell can the Seahawks afford Robinson today.
    QuickLightning
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm
  • Seahawks can afford afew FA easily. There is plenty of dead weight to cut to save money. They do have some good FA though so its going to be a question of does JS want to lose the comp picks for some mediocre FA.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 pm
  • Only WR talent with TD production to approach Jimmy Graham last year is Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins. I don't see either of them being cheap, and Landry's fumbles will probably further discourage Pete.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 pm
  • Haven't looked at every free agent, but these ones seemed like good fits:

OL - Andrew Norwell, Justin Pugh, Josh Kline, Garry Gilliam, Joeckel (for about $2M per), Jonathan Cooper

WR - Terrelle Pryor, Donte Moncrief, Jordan Matthews, Eric Decker, Cody Latimer, Brice Butler, all might be fairly cheap and worth taking a chance on. Paul Richardson and Marqise Lee are probably a bit pricier.

TE - Trey Burton, Tyler Eifert, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jimmy Graham (for about $7M per max), Ben Watson, Anthony Fasano, Lee Smith, Darren Fells, Troy Niklas, Ed Dickson, Virgil Green, Luke Willson

RB - Le'Veon Bell, Charles Sims

CB - Jalen Collins, Maxwell, Shead, Vontae Davis all might be cheap

S - Bradley McDougald, Eric Reid, Morgan Burnett, LaMarcus Joyner, Tre Boston, TJ Ward, Tyvon Branch

DL/LEO/SLB - Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Junior Galette, William Hayes,Tank Carradine, Alex Okafor, Devon Kennard, Barkevious Mingo, Courtney Upshaw, Aldon Smith
    Last edited by massari on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:46 pm
  • massari wrote:Haven't looked at every free agent, but these ones seemed like good fits:

OL - Andrew Norwell, Josh Kline, Garry Gilliam, Joeckel (for about $2M per), Jonathan Cooper

WR - Terrelle Pryor, Donte Moncrief, Jordan Matthews, Eric Decker, Cody Latimer, Brice Butler, all might be fairly cheap and worth taking a chance on. Paul Richardson and Marqise Lee are probably a bit pricier.

TE - Trey Burton, Tyler Eifert, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jimmy Graham (for about $7M per max), Ben Watson, Anthony Fasano, Lee Smith, Darren Fells, Troy Niklas, Ed Dickson, Virgil Green, Luke Willson

S - Bradley McDougald, Eric Reid, Morgan Burnett, LaMarcus Joyner, Tre Boston, TJ Ward, Tyvon Branch

DL/LEO/SLB - Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Junior Galette, William Hayes,Tank Carradine, Alex Okafor, Devon Kennard, Barkevious Mingo, Courtney Upshaw, Aldon Smith

I would re sign Joeckel, Mcdougald,Richardson,Shead,Maxwell very cheap probably get cut if Sherman get back in shape. ..,I love ASJ replacing Graham ... and if we got money left Lee
    PaVloVa!8
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:27 pm
  • Trey Burton is exactly the type of TE Seattle should avoid. As a FA TE, I'd love to kick the tires on Virgil Green. Guy is an outstanding blocker and an underrated pass catcher. That's what Seattle's scheme needs from the TE spot.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:34 pm
  • QuickLightning wrote:
    original poster wrote:Very confident Allen Robinson will be a Seahawk.

So you expecting Baldwin and someone else big gets cut? Because no way in hell can the Seahawks afford Robinson today.

Baldwin? Not a hope in hell. $9.5M dead money!

I believe the cap position will look vastly different come March/April, though.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:36 pm
  • CodeWarrior wrote:Trey Burton is exactly the type of TE Seattle should avoid.

Why is that?
    massari
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:38 pm
  • I wouldn’t expect any big name costly FA’s to be signed.

IMHO with no 2nd and 3rd rounders this year, they will let Graham and Sheldon walk to get FA COMP picks to stockpile for the 2019 draft. I think this last year (2017) will set the Hawks back a year and I expect another 9-7 year for 2018.

If the Schotty rumors are true, As a guy that wants to run the ball, Sadly, I think a non run blocking TE like Jimmy is gone.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 pm
  • None of the free agents are coming here...zero money...it will be another year of picking up a few scrubs on one year deals
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm
  • Resign Sheldon Richardson. Focus on getting good value out of our other resigns or let them walk.
    Bring in James Hurst, ASJ or Richard Rodgers, KPL, Donte Moncrief and Chandler Catanzaro. Then build through the draft. That would be a successful offseason in my opinion, as long as we improve our playcalling on offense.

Also... Can we clear cap if we cut Lane? He's definitely not playing like a 6 million dollar a year corner. I'm hoping we frontloaded his contract with guaranteed money, so we can cut him and clear cap this year. He was infuriatingly bad in coverage.
    Last edited by firebee on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    firebee
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 pm

With a New OC and our Cap there will be a lot of changes, mostly to free up room for next season, he will need his guys and replace non functioning players that can't perform in his system, most of those may be on the O line. They will have to learn or relearn some power schemes.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:43 pm
  • massari wrote:
    CodeWarrior wrote:Trey Burton is exactly the type of TE Seattle should avoid.

Why is that?

Finesse type TE. Undersized. Short arms and thin legs have him struggling to anchor as a blocker. Every time I saw him inline in Philly he was easily overwhelmed by ends and even backers.

But he does score TDs, so someone will overpay him.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:56 pm
  • CodeWarrior wrote:
    massari wrote:
    CodeWarrior wrote:Trey Burton is exactly the type of TE Seattle should avoid.

Why is that?

Finesse type TE. Undersized. Short arms and thin legs have him struggling to anchor as a blocker. Every time I saw him inline in Philly he was easily overwhelmed by ends and even backers.

But he does score TDs, so someone will overpay him.

Though Zach Ertz is the team’s starter, Trey Burton can make an impact in many aspects of the game.

Burton is a talented pass catcher who can line up in the slot or out wide. He’s also a capable blocker and made his start with the Eagles as a special teams player.

Coach Doug Pederson spoke highly of Burton when asked if he would see an expanded role this season.

“Yeah, I think the ceiling’s high. Obviously, we know he’s a four-core special teams guy and he’s very valuable on teams. He’s a guy that we can move around offensively,” Pederson said at his press conference on Tuesday. “Carson was real comfortable with him towards the end of the year filling in for Jordan [Matthews] when Jordan was out.”

Pederson added how he’s noticed Burton has bulked up this offseason.

“I like where he’s at right now. I think he’s gotten bigger. He’s gotten stronger,” Pederson said. “He can hold up on the line of scrimmage when we ask him to block, but we know what he can do in route running and that’s something that we’ll continue to develop.”
    http://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2017/ ... ll-player/

For the right price, I'd take him.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm
  • I'd love Trey Burton. Sure he's undersized but I like his versatility and he's far from finesse.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm
  • Wonder what Cameron Brate would cost... He is a BEAST on Madden ;)
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 am
  • I heard Schottenheimer is allowed to make any change to the offensive line he wants excluding Duane Brown. That option for Britt due in March just got interesting!
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:51 am
  • original poster wrote:I heard

Got a link/source?
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:42 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    original poster wrote:I heard

Got a link/source?

It was Twitter, I’ll go back through and see if I can find it.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:21 pm
  • I hope Joeckel isn’t brought back unless it’s at the vet minimum. Dude is terrible. Let him follow Cable to Oakland. Draft Quentin Nelson or Billy Price and you’d probably get the same impact or greater than what Luke provided. Good riddance.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:32 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Draft Quentin Nelson or Billy Price and you’d probably get the same impact or greater than what Luke provided. Good riddance.

Neither will be available at #18. Probably not even close.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:40 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Got a link/source?

It was Hsu.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:02 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Draft Quentin Nelson or Billy Price and you’d probably get the same impact or greater than what Luke provided. Good riddance.

Neither will be available at #18. Probably not even close.

I could be wrong but without 2nd and 3rd round picks in the upcoming draft I fully expect the 18th pick to be dealt for more picks, unless an absolute cant miss stud falls to that spot.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:21 pm
  • PaVloVa!8 wrote:I would re sign Joeckel, Mcdougald,Richardson,Shead,Maxwell very cheap probably get cut if Sherman get back in shape. ..,I love ASJ replacing Graham ... and if we got money left Lee

I'd be sorely tempted to keep Maxwell even if Sherman comes right, and I'd be tempted to play a nickel set of Max/Griff/Sherm/Thomas/MacDougald because where the heck can you throw against that?

I wouldn't mind seeing what Sherman could do as almost a third safety, giving him free rein to be a general ball-hawk. He reads trends and anticipates plays. He is also quite good against the run and is a good tackler. Maxwell and Griffin are both good at coverage, but both (mostly Maxwell) allow receptions with 0 YAC since they are there for the tackle but don't get the ball. Having a roving Sherman could change that.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:45 pm
  • original poster wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:

Got a link/source?

It was Davis Hsu's page.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:10 pm
  • No TEs that can not block please. I'd rather have someone who can block over a fast route runner or who has good hands.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:12 pm
  • massari wrote:Haven't looked at every free agent, but these ones seemed like good fits:

OL - Andrew Norwell, Josh Kline, Garry Gilliam, Joeckel (for about $2M per), Jonathan Cooper

Garry Gilliam? Good god, what is wrong with you.

HAVE WE NOT SEEN ENOUGH ALREADY?
    Russell Wilson isn't the problem, the coaching staff IS.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:51 pm
  • Won't we have like 30M+ in cap space if Cliff retires and we cut Lane? More if we move on from Bennett, Sherm, Kam, etc.

I like Andrew Norwell the most because we have a new OL coach and he's a young all-pro caliber player. I think his market is at least 12M APY, so the Hawks probably won't want to pay him that.

Okafor is a great idea OP, let's see how he heals up. He was a great impact role player for the Saints this season and they missed his pass rushing skills after he went down.

I believe Shead's contract tolls so we have him at no extra cost to us next year because he didn't come back til very late in the season. I then heard on the HB podcast there may be a CBA issue on that so IDK. I'd sign Maxwell for the 3 year 8M total deal I saw proposed on Fieldgulls.

Maybe Fasano as a blocking TE? Definitely not Joeckel and let all the other FA walk.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Image

With a New OC and our Cap there will be a lot of changes, mostly to free up room for next season, he will need his guys and replace non functioning players that can't perform in his system, most of those may be on the O line. They will have to learn or relearn some power schemes.

This primarily why the change is good. First thing new coaches are going to do when they come in is point out the problems of the previous regime. Then implement what they think will change that under PC and JS's discretion.

We are going to win games next year regardless. Too much talent not to. Do we make that said talent a stone axe or a samurai sword is yet to be seen.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:22 pm
  • We don't have talent where we need it.. OL, RB
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 pm
  • Bobblehead wrote:We don't have talent where we need it.. OL, RB

True. We will still win games though despite how disgusting our offense is.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:We don't have talent where we need it.. OL, RB

We have invested a lot of resources in O line, they are Power run guys, Cable tried to take LongshoremanImage and make them into Baryshnikov, Image let them be who they are and have crash courses in pass protection. As far as RB, Carson if he comes back all the way should be good, Davis a do everything guy, McKissic is going to thrIve, if Schotty is smart he will use him like Terry Metcalf, a lot of the same skills, Prosise I think may get moved to WR.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:54 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    I believe Shead's contract tolls so we have him at no extra cost to us next year because he didn't come back til very late in the season. I then heard on the HB podcast there may be a CBA issue on that so IDK.

It's now been confirmed that he will be a FA rather than his contract rolling over, I know it was up for debate, though.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 am
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    massari wrote:Haven't looked at every free agent, but these ones seemed like good fits:

For a decent price he'd compete with Fant and Justin Senior at RT while giving some nice depth if someone gets hurt.

PFF actually graded him out about average at RT this season, so maybe he's improving and entering his prime at 27 as well.

Joeckel and Gilliam would be alright for about $2M per each for depth/competition it seems.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:14 am
  • Do some know what will happen with Mark Ingram ... will he become a free agent ?!? Is he a good target for the offence ...
    PaVloVa!8
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 am
  • PaVloVa!8 wrote:Do some know what will happen with Mark Ingram ... will he become a free agent ?!? Is he a good target for the offence ...

I thought he only became a UFA if he was named all pro which he wasnt.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 am
  • massari wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    massari wrote:Haven't looked at every free agent, but these ones seemed like good fits:

For a decent price he'd compete with Fant and Justin Senior at RT while giving some nice depth if someone gets hurt.

PFF actually graded him out about average at RT this season, so maybe he's improving and entering his prime at 27 as well.

Yep. He was actually improving here in his last season, though not a stellar lineman by any means.
    GO HAWKS!!!

MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:16 am
  • I'd love to see them go after Norwell aggressively however they'd need to adapt their cap position to do so.

I maintain my thought that the cap situation will look vastly different come March.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:We don't have talent where we need it.. OL, RB

We have invested a lot of resources in O line, they are Power run guys, Cable tried to take LongshoremanImage and make them into Baryshnikov, Image let them be who they are and have crash courses in pass protection. As far as RB, Carson if he comes back all the way should be good, Davis a do everything guy, McKissic is going to thrIve, if Schotty is smart he will use him like Terry Metcalf, a lot of the same skills, Prosise I think may get moved to WR.

Using him like Eric would be cool too.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 am
  • Arizona may release Iupati as he was less than effective in 16 and hurt all of 17 (he was probably hurt in 16 as well). When healthy he's a heck of a road grader. If he doesn't retire he probably could be had on prove it contract.
    TreeRon
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 am
  • Too soon to name names for the most part until after the draft...............but in general I think these are the positions we go after FA's.

- TE
    - Guard
    - DE
    - Outside LB
    - Maybe DB if we cut Sherman
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm
  • I don't understand the people acting like we've got no money to spend on FA. Sure we won't have 60M or something crazy but between what is already freed up and what is likely to change with extensions or cuts or whatever the Seahawks have enough money to sign anyone they want this offseason.

With that said, I feel like John purposely planned to stack up on a lot of comp picks this year and because of that I see them being a little more careful. I think they'll try to not sign anyone that could potentially negate a potential 3rd or 4th round pick they should get for Graham or Richardson.

Someone that has really caught my eye during these playoffs is Senio Kelemente. He could be a real steal in this FA class I think. He stepped up admirably for Andrus Peat after his broken leg and has looked really good at multiple positions throughout the year.

Kelemete has spent time at right tackle, right guard and left guard while making an appearance in all 16 regular season games for the Saints. He has notched eight total starts while being the top option to replace injured starters. He has been a plug-and-play replacement as there has been little to no drop-off in the quality of offensive line play when he is in the lineup.

Towards the mid-way point of the season, Kelemete was singled out as the No. 2 rated guard in terms of pass blocking grade (99.3) in the NFL by Pro Football Focus.

The do-it-all offensive lineman has flown under the radar, but one could argue without his high level of play that the Saints wouldn’t have been as successful in 2017.

Kelemete should be commended for coming off the bench time-and-time again with such great success. Clearly, he was the most critical backup turned starter for the team, and as such should be in consideration as New Orleans MVP.
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:54 pm
  • Speaking of road grater, how about DJ Flucker?

I rewatched a couple of NYG games yesterday and Flucker can make holes and is decent (Not perfect) in the pass game. He looked miles better than our recent guard play. He's a free agent.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:02 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information