Free Agent Targets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
After today's events I've been looking forward to the off-season with renewed enthusiasm and taking a look at the list of upcoming free agents and who could potentially be good fits.

One of the first ones that jumped out to me was to bring back Clinton McDonald. He was a solid depth guy for us in his last year here and has been steady in Tampa Bay. Last year he was awesome with 10 QB Hits to go along with 5 sacks. I think he would make an interesting option that shouldn't break the bank.

Another guy I thought of was Alex Okafor who looked really good in New Orleans this year before he went down with a torn Achilles. The injury will likely lower his price. He had 4.5 sacks in just 10 games this year and is still just 26 years old.

I know we just brought in Jason Myers but with Pete's love of competition for jobs, Caleb Sturgis could be another option at Kicker. He started the year as the Eagles starter but Elliott looks like he's taken that job now. Sturgis has a strong leg and is also pretty accurate so far in his career, he's converted 97% of his PATs and 81% of his FGs. This year 50+ yard kicks weren't even a consideration for us, Walsh only attempted 1 the entire year (which of course he missed), Sturgis has routinely been a good distance kicker thus far in his career. Myers lost his job because he was struggling and was eventually given up on by his team, I'm not sure if I want to see us invest in another kicker with potential confidence issues. Sturgis just simply got hurt and I think makes a far better choice.

Curious to see what you guys think would be targets we could look at this off-season.

Reaction score
None. Zero room in the salary cap to sign big name free agents. Gotta make some big cuts to bring anyone with a name you recognize to the team.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2kyky3bg said:
None. Zero room in the salary cap to sign big name free agents. Gotta make some big cuts to bring anyone with a name you recognize to the team.

Not all free agents are big name and none of the guys the OP listed were.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We've all said to our kids, "You eyes are bigger than your stomach" while at the dinner table. In this case, our eyes may be bigger than our wallets!! :177692:

original poster

Reaction score
Very confident Allen Robinson will be a Seahawk.

(If he doesn’t get tagged)

Reaction score
original poster":10ouob4y said:

So you expecting Baldwin and someone else big gets cut? Because no way in hell can the Seahawks afford Robinson today.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Seahawks can afford afew FA easily. There is plenty of dead weight to cut to save money. They do have some good FA though so its going to be a question of does JS want to lose the comp picks for some mediocre FA.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Only WR talent with TD production to approach Jimmy Graham last year is Jarvis Landry and Sammy Watkins. I don't see either of them being cheap, and Landry's fumbles will probably further discourage Pete.

massari

Reaction score
Haven't looked at every free agent, but these ones seemed like good fits:

OL - Andrew Norwell, Justin Pugh, Josh Kline, Garry Gilliam, Joeckel (for about $2M per), Jonathan Cooper

WR - Terrelle Pryor, Donte Moncrief, Jordan Matthews, Eric Decker, Cody Latimer, Brice Butler, all might be fairly cheap and worth taking a chance on. Paul Richardson and Marqise Lee are probably a bit pricier.

TE - Trey Burton, Tyler Eifert, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jimmy Graham (for about $7M per max), Ben Watson, Anthony Fasano, Lee Smith, Darren Fells, Troy Niklas, Ed Dickson, Virgil Green, Luke Willson

RB - Le'Veon Bell, Charles Sims

CB - Jalen Collins, Maxwell, Shead, Vontae Davis all might be cheap

S - Bradley McDougald, Eric Reid, Morgan Burnett, LaMarcus Joyner, Tre Boston, TJ Ward, Tyvon Branch

DL/LEO/SLB - Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Junior Galette, William Hayes,Tank Carradine, Alex Okafor, Devon Kennard, Barkevious Mingo, Courtney Upshaw, Aldon Smith

PaVloVa!8

Reaction score
massari":2qytj8ia said:
Haven't looked at every free agent, but these ones seemed like good fits:

OL - Andrew Norwell, Josh Kline, Garry Gilliam, Joeckel (for about $2M per), Jonathan Cooper

WR - Terrelle Pryor, Donte Moncrief, Jordan Matthews, Eric Decker, Cody Latimer, Brice Butler, all might be fairly cheap and worth taking a chance on. Paul Richardson and Marqise Lee are probably a bit pricier.

TE - Trey Burton, Tyler Eifert, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Jimmy Graham (for about $7M per max), Ben Watson, Anthony Fasano, Lee Smith, Darren Fells, Troy Niklas, Ed Dickson, Virgil Green, Luke Willson

RB - Le'Veon Bell, Charles Sims

CB - Jalen Collins, Maxwell, Shead, Vontae Davis all might be cheap

S - Bradley McDougald, Eric Reid, Morgan Burnett, LaMarcus Joyner, Tre Boston, TJ Ward, Tyvon Branch

DL/LEO/SLB - Sheldon Richardson, Kony Ealy, Junior Galette, William Hayes,Tank Carradine, Alex Okafor, Devon Kennard, Barkevious Mingo, Courtney Upshaw, Aldon Smith

I would re sign Joeckel, Mcdougald,Richardson,Shead,Maxwell very cheap probably get cut if Sherman get back in shape. ..,I love ASJ replacing Graham ... and if we got money left Lee

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Trey Burton is exactly the type of TE Seattle should avoid. As a FA TE, I'd love to kick the tires on Virgil Green. Guy is an outstanding blocker and an underrated pass catcher. That's what Seattle's scheme needs from the TE spot.

original poster

Reaction score
QuickLightning":1pbydjjs said:
original poster":1pbydjjs said:

So you expecting Baldwin and someone else big gets cut? Because no way in hell can the Seahawks afford Robinson today.

Baldwin? Not a hope in hell. $9.5M dead money!

I believe the cap position will look vastly different come March/April, though.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I wouldn’t expect any big name costly FA’s to be signed.

IMHO with no 2nd and 3rd rounders this year, they will let Graham and Sheldon walk to get FA COMP picks to stockpile for the 2019 draft. I think this last year (2017) will set the Hawks back a year and I expect another 9-7 year for 2018.

If the Schotty rumors are true, As a guy that wants to run the ball, Sadly, I think a non run blocking TE like Jimmy is gone.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
None of the free agents are coming here...zero money...it will be another year of picking up a few scrubs on one year deals

nanomoz

Reaction score
A nice sandbox tight end that is willing to block wouldn't suck. Maybe Richard Rodgers?

firebee

Reaction score
Resign Sheldon Richardson. Focus on getting good value out of our other resigns or let them walk.
Bring in James Hurst, ASJ or Richard Rodgers, KPL, Donte Moncrief and Chandler Catanzaro. Then build through the draft. That would be a successful offseason in my opinion, as long as we improve our playcalling on offense.

Also... Can we clear cap if we cut Lane? He's definitely not playing like a 6 million dollar a year corner. I'm hoping we frontloaded his contract with guaranteed money, so we can cut him and clear cap this year. He was infuriatingly bad in coverage.

chris98251

Reaction score
M18 hero bgV2 xs

With a New OC and our Cap there will be a lot of changes, mostly to free up room for next season, he will need his guys and replace non functioning players that can't perform in his system, most of those may be on the O line. They will have to learn or relearn some power schemes.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
massari":1s86qftq said:
CodeWarrior":1s86qftq said:
Trey Burton is exactly the type of TE Seattle should avoid.
Why is that?

Finesse type TE. Undersized. Short arms and thin legs have him struggling to anchor as a blocker. Every time I saw him inline in Philly he was easily overwhelmed by ends and even backers.

But he does score TDs, so someone will overpay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.