Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

OC Candidates + Further Questions

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: OC Candidates + Further Questions
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm
  • Danny Darko wrote:Carmichael seems like the guy, but what leverage do we have to give him another OC position?
    It sounds from this that the Saints would grant permission for HC, but even AC and the promise of taking over for Pete... do the Saints have to play ball?

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Assisted Head Coach is considered a promotion in the NFL. If the Seahawks offered Carmichael the AHC title, they would therefore be free to pursue him as OC because it would not be considered a lateral move.

The Saints used the AHC title to poach their TEs Coach from Miami last year.

IMO, Carmichael will probably never be a serious HC candidate until he leaves the shadow of Sean Payton and demonstrates success on his own. In the same way, Kris Richard will probably never be a serious HC candidate until he leaves Pete Carroll.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:26 pm
  • Ohhhh the irony!

Drop Jimmy Graham just in time to bring in the guy that knows how to use him. :twisted:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Ohhhh the irony!

Drop Jimmy Graham just in time to bring in the guy that knows how to use him. :twisted:

Then again, if they manage to acquire a play caller who knows how to use a weapon like Jimmy Graham, that could change the calculus for both sides. This is particularly true if they can't get a deal done with Sheldon Richardson.

I don't think there is an OC Graham would rather have calling plays for him than Carmichael (excluding HC Sean Payton, of course).
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:15 pm
  • Why is no one mentioning Jim Caldwell? Or did I miss something.

He's been to what, 3 Superbowls as an assistant coach, and won 2 of them.

He made Joe freaking Flacco the highest paid QB in the NFL... and as soon as Caldwell left, Flacco began to suck.

He's maybe not the best Head Coach, but man his offenses are always tough.

I think he'd do as well under Pete as he did Dungy and Harbaugh.
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:21 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:Why is no one mentioning Jim Caldwell? Or did I miss something.

He made Joe freaking Flacco the highest paid QB in the NFL... and as soon as Caldwell left, Flacco began to suck.

Nice thought. Caldwell has had some explosive offenses over the years. He's old (ha!) but I would take him as OC.
    hawknation2018
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm
  • Mojambo wrote:
    NJlargent wrote:Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

FWIW

If Brian runs the same scheme as his father (and there’s no reason to think he won’t) it is the same as the Seahawks have used since Pete has arrived, politely called the “Air Coryell” offense, a precursor to the “West Coast” offense with more vertical throws down field, while still spreading the field with shorter throws to the outside and, of course the more famous “slant throws” off the line of scrimmage.

Used successfully by Don Coryell, Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, and the Raiders under Al Davis, among others, this was the offense Bill Walsh used to develop the, now, more famous West Coast offense, that relies on YAC yards to compensate for deeper passes.

The scheme requires a QB that has the arm strength to throw a deep balls accurately, so it tends to flip flop back and forth between the two (by the number of deep passes) depending on the skill set of the QB. In a nutshell it stretches the field both horizontally and vertically, and (ironically) sets up the run with the pass.

Now, whether Brian can be successful with the Seahawks and Russell is an unknown, he’s had mediocre success with either injured or middling QB’s as an OC (Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, old Brett Favre, and a mostly injured Sam Bradford)

I say meh, if the Seahawks want a disciple of the Air Coryell offense, that has had success, I’d look toward Cam Cameron who did have success under Marty and John Harbaugh with that scheme, albeit with much better QB’s (Rivers and Flacco), most recently fired with Les Miles from LSU in 2016.

Cam will turn 57 in February.
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

"Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."
    (“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:29 pm
  • Mojambo wrote:
    NJlargent wrote:Picking schottenheimer would kill the elation I have felt this week.

Why? What, exactly, do you know about his play-calling ability and offensive philosophies?

I know next to nothing about him, other than he's NEVER coordinated for a QB of Russell Wilson's caliber, but he was highly thought of when he worked with Drew Brees as QB coach.

Just because a guy has been around, doesn't mean he's not the right guy. (I have no idea if he's the right guy.)

The jets couldn’t wait to get rid of him and he’s been underwhelming despite Brees. He’s been around a while and hasn’t lit the world on fire by any stretch. We just got rid of bevell and have an opportunity here. Schottenheimer seems like a 3rd round pick and I’d like to shoot for a 1st rounder.
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 pm
  • I know this will be divisive in part because of the college football affiliations of some of you, but consider that we play our best football in a hurry-up offense, and then consider what Chip Kelly might bring to the offensive side - not touching the defensive side or making personnel decisions.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:I know this will be divisive in part because of the college football affiliations of some of you, but consider that we play our best football in a hurry-up offense, and then consider what Chip Kelly might bring to the offensive side - not touching the defensive side or making personnel decisions.

I’ve had the same thoughts in regards to Chip.
    nIdahoSeahawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:37 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:I know this will be divisive in part because of the college football affiliations of some of you, but consider that we play our best football in a hurry-up offense, and then consider what Chip Kelly might bring to the offensive side - not touching the defensive side or making personnel decisions.

Most teams play rather well in a hurry up offense, as it doesn't allow the defense to react and change personnel groupings to adapt to the series. It's not a long term solution as it leads to injuries and requires an uncompromising work ethic to keep players in peak physical condition to support the schemes.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm
  • nIdahoSeahawk wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:I know this will be divisive in part because of the college football affiliations of some of you, but consider that we play our best football in a hurry-up offense, and then consider what Chip Kelly might bring to the offensive side - not touching the defensive side or making personnel decisions.

Chip is the newly signed HC of UCLA
    "Est autem fides credere quod nondum vides; cuius fidei merces est videre quod credis."
    Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

(“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 pm
  • nwHawk wrote:Keep an eye out for Marc Trestman. There are connectors to Pete and Russ (NC St). Just saying. First year Toronto head coach, this year, and goes out and wins the Gray Cup Campionship.

He’d be an interesting choice.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:59 pm
  • FidelisHawk wrote:
    nIdahoSeahawk wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:I know this will be divisive in part because of the college football affiliations of some of you, but consider that we play our best football in a hurry-up offense, and then consider what Chip Kelly might bring to the offensive side - not touching the defensive side or making personnel decisions.

Yes he is, but the day before yesterday Bevel was OC and Cable was AHC and OL coach. Things change.

Any coordinator we hire has to think there is a potential career path to take over from Pete Carroll as head coach under the richest owner in the NFL. It's a pretty good gig. One you might trade a bird in the hand for.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:01 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    nwHawk wrote:Keep an eye out for Marc Trestman. There are connectors to Pete and Russ (NC St). Just saying. First year Toronto head coach, this year, and goes out and wins the Gray Cup Campionship.

He’d be an interesting choice.

Didn't consider Trestman but that's a good call.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:
    FidelisHawk wrote:
    nIdahoSeahawk wrote:

Yes he is, but the day before yesterday Bevel was OC and Cable was AHC and OL coach. Things change.

Any coordinator we hire has to think there is a potential career path to take over from Pete Carroll as head coach under the richest owner in the NFL. It's a pretty good gig. One you might trade a bird in the hand for.

LOL Well, anything is possible, but Kelly hasn’t even had a chance to have his new UCLA shirts dry cleaned yet.

I doubt he would be, even mildly, interested in being Pete’s subordinate (even for a two, possibly more, years) in favor of running his own program.

Now, if Paul offered him Carrol’s position, hummm maybe then the money would talk.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

(“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm
  • BC-Hawk wrote:John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

Here's what I see Paul Allen offering his Prime interest. I think that he will propose that the OC would also be offered the Assistant Head Coach as well as in line for Pete's job when he retires. I think that option would attract the prime candidate.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm
  • Pete carmichael + Jimmy graham would be a perfect match.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:31 pm
  • I did not know that Bret Bielema was almost a Seahawk back in '92. Some have said he's a possibility, but I don't think so. I don't think he is innovative enough to get the job.

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/6/28/12051004/bret-bielemas-acl-less-cup-of-coffee-in-the-nfl

BUT, how about a OC wildcard...Tom Herman, U of Houston HC

Tom Herman's offense has its roots in the spread but with more of a power feel. A downhill running attack will look to draw contact and bring the defense into the box, only to then throw over it soon thereafter. It's also one that maximizes the skills of the players, as we saw when Herman helped Ohio State win a national title with a third-string quarterback in 2014.

Cardale Jones went from third string to a potential first-round draft pick in three games. Now with Houston, Herman has turned Greg Ward Jr. into arguably the best dual-threat passer in the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2614482-the-best-offensive-minds-in-college-football.amp.html

Pete needs fresh innovative minds. Total long shot, but would be interesting.
    "You don't always get to play playoff games at home, or conference championships at home, or superbowls at home. You have to have the mindset that you can play to your potential wherever you are." - Pete Carroll
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm
  • My guess is it will some college positional (possibly wide receiver) coach.
    "Awww, you so weak!" Richard Sherman to Joe Webb

"Uh, huh, you suck!" Richard Sherman to Pierre Garçon

"Don't f***** try me--I'm the best!" Richard Sherman

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:
    Danny Darko wrote:Carmichael seems like the guy, but what leverage do we have to give him another OC position?
    It sounds from this that the Saints would grant permission for HC, but even AC and the promise of taking over for Pete... do the Saints have to play ball?

My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Assisted Head Coach is considered a promotion in the NFL. If the Seahawks offered Carmichael the AHC title, they would therefore be free to pursue him as OC because it would not be considered a lateral move.

IMO, Carmichael will probably never be a serious HC candidate until he leaves the shadow of Sean Payton and demonstrates success on his own. In the same way, Kris Richard will probably never be a serious HC candidate until he leaves Pete Carroll.

Ahhhh thank you. that gives me hope. I hope your knowledge is not that limited
    Danny Darko
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:20 am
  • nwHawk wrote:I did not know that Bret Bielema was almost a Seahawk back in '92. Some have said he's a possibility, but I don't think so. I don't think he is innovative enough to get the job.

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2016/6/28/12051004/bret-bielemas-acl-less-cup-of-coffee-in-the-nfl

He uh.. has never coached one down of offense in his life. He's a defensive coordinator.

nwHawk wrote:BUT, how about a OC wildcard...Tom Herman, U of Houston HC

Tom Herman's offense has its roots in the spread but with more of a power feel. A downhill running attack will look to draw contact and bring the defense into the box, only to then throw over it soon thereafter. It's also one that maximizes the skills of the players, as we saw when Herman helped Ohio State win a national title with a third-string quarterback in 2014.

Cardale Jones went from third string to a potential first-round draft pick in three games. Now with Houston, Herman has turned Greg Ward Jr. into arguably the best dual-threat passer in the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2614482-the-best-offensive-minds-in-college-football.amp.html

Pete needs fresh innovative minds. Total long shot, but would be interesting.

Well for one Herman is now the coach of Texas, makes $5.5M a year and is guaranteed $25M but yeah total wild card. Could totally see a coach leave a Top 10 program to chase his dreams of coaching Russell Wilson.

REALISTIC candidates guys. Come on.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:21 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:
    FidelisHawk wrote:
    nIdahoSeahawk wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chip Kelly is not leaving a job he just took to be a coordinator. Stop this.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:Why is no one mentioning Jim Caldwell? Or did I miss something.

Caldwell had absolutely nothing to do with Flacco's hot streak in January. Caldwell would have been fired a couple years ago if he didn't elevate Jim Bob Cooter to OC.

Caldwell as QB coach would be fine. OC? Hard pass.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:27 am
  • Fade wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    Fade wrote:
    BC-Hawk wrote:John DeFilippo would be a fantastic hire if he somehow escapes the head coaching search without a job, plus he's young enough that once Pete decides to eventually retire he can slide in as his successor easily. Perhaps that could be a selling point for the Hawks "come here and be our OC for a couple of years and then we'll hand over the keys to the head coach's office in X number of years."

DeFilippo would get a HC job the very next year with another team. Unless you fired Carroll to promote him to HC. I don't see it happening.

DeFilppo would be a 1 yr rental.

Give me the failed HC that was an awesome OC. That way no one would be looking to steal him away from your org after only 1 yr.

This is absolutely terrible logic I'm sorry. You can't take a lesser coach because you think they may stay a little longer. Hire the best people possible, if that's DeFilippo - that's who you hire.

How do you know former HCs that were great OCs would be worse play callers than DeFilippo?

Per you, hiring DeFilippo means hes gone in a year.. soooo apparently you think he'd do a great job too?
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:36 am
  • FidelisHawk wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:

FWIW

If Brian runs the same scheme as his father (and there’s no reason to think he won’t) it is the same as the Seahawks have used since Pete has arrived, politely called the “Air Coryell” offense, a precursor to the “West Coast” offense with more vertical throws down field, while still spreading the field with shorter throws to the outside and, of course the more famous “slant throws” off the line of scrimmage.

Used successfully by Don Coryell, Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, and the Raiders under Al Davis, among others, this was the offense Bill Walsh used to develop the, now, more famous West Coast offense, that relies on YAC yards to compensate for deeper passes.

The scheme requires a QB that has the arm strength to throw a deep balls accurately, so it tends to flip flop back and forth between the two (by the number of deep passes) depending on the skill set of the QB. In a nutshell it stretches the field both horizontally and vertically, and (ironically) sets up the run with the pass.

Now, whether Brian can be successful with the Seahawks and Russell is an unknown, he’s had mediocre success with either injured or middling QB’s as an OC (Mark Sanchez, Chad Pennington, old Brett Favre, and a mostly injured Sam Bradford)

I say meh, if the Seahawks want a disciple of the Air Coryell offense, that has had success, I’d look toward Cam Cameron who did have success under Marty and John Harbaugh with that scheme, albeit with much better QB’s (Rivers and Flacco), most recently fired with Les Miles from LSU in 2016.

57? It's not like we need him to suit up and play!
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 am
  • oldhawkfan wrote:
    FidelisHawk wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:

FWIW

I understand, but some posters want the next young Coordinator who could replace Carroll when the time comes. So I've been adding ages to my posts.

Personally I don't think 57 is very old at all :lol:
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

(“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 am
  • FidelisHawk wrote:
    oldhawkfan wrote:
    FidelisHawk wrote:
    Mojambo wrote:

FWIW

I understand, but some posters want the next young Coordinator who could replace Carroll when the time comes. So I've been adding ages to my posts.

Personally I don't think 57 is very old at all :lol:

Cam Cameron was so bad he got fired in the middle of a playoff race by the Ravens. Cam Cameron couldn't coach a QB to save his life at LSU. Cam Cameron was miserable as HC of the Dolphins.

Hard hard hard pass.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 am
  • With no major rumors or interviewd to date I have to believe they are interested in coaches from the playoff teams.

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
    2. Haley (OC of Pit)
    3. Dephillipo (QB of Phi)

A wildcard
    Jason Michael (QB of Ten)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:With no major rumors or interviewd to date I have to believe they are interested in coaches from the playoff teams.

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
    2. Haley (OC of Pit)

A wildcard

If that's their 3, I'd be very happy. Not sure about Jason Michael though, if anything the Titans staff needs to figure out how to use Mariota better than they have.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 am
  • hawknation2018 wrote:My (admittedly limited) understanding is that Assisted Head Coach is considered a promotion in the NFL. If the Seahawks offered Carmichael the AHC title, they would therefore be free to pursue him as OC because it would not be considered a lateral move.

I think it's considered on the same level as OC/DC, so is still a lateral move, but useful for TE and OL coaches etc because they can't be interviewed for OC/DC positions without permission
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Cam Cameron was so bad he got fired in the middle of a playoff race by the Ravens. Cam Cameron couldn't coach a QB to save his life at LSU. Cam Cameron was miserable as HC of the Dolphins.

Hard hard hard pass.

While I would disagree with some of your takes, he is a viable candidate, that runs the same scheme that Carroll prefers and had success doing it.
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

(“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 am
  • I would be thrilled with DeFilippo. Smart young guy, I really like the Eagles concepts he would bring. Plus, would challenge Russell.

mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am
  • mistaowen wrote:I would be thrilled with DeFilippo. Smart young guy, I really like the Eagles concepts he would bring. Plus, would challenge Russell.

Sounds amazing. Russ probably gets a pat on the back every Friday, not a test.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 am
  • Wenhawk wrote:With no major rumors or interviewd to date I have to believe they are interested in coaches from the playoff teams.

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
    2. Haley (OC of Pit)

A wildcard

2/3 of those names are already OC's.. I know it's nice to believe our situation is so great that teams will jump at making a lateral move here/we could technically offer them an assistant coach title.

But is there much actual precedent for such a move? What especially makes it very unlikely is that the two teams mentioned are both great teams with bright futures.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 am
  • therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:With no major rumors or interviewd to date I have to believe they are interested in coaches from the playoff teams.

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
    2. Haley (OC of Pit)

A wildcard

2/3 of those names are already OC's.. I know it's nice to believe our situation is so great that teams will jump at making a lateral move here/we could technically offer them an assistant coach title.

But is there much actual precedent for such a move? What especially makes it very unlikely is that the two teams mentioned are both great teams with bright futures.

The Steelers are rumored to want to part ways with Haley. That would have to happen first.

The Carmichael thing, I think thats a lot of wishful thinking for a small delegation of fans here, have a really hard time believing he'd be on their list but he's better than a lot of the names being bounced about by Seahawk fans.

Personally I think they're waiting for DeFilippo. Everything about him points to what they'd be looking for.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:With no major rumors or interviewd to date I have to believe they are interested in coaches from the playoff teams.

1. Carmichael (OC of NO)
    2. Haley (OC of Pit)

A wildcard

The Steelers are rumored to want to part ways with Haley. That would have to happen first.

The Carmichael thing, I think thats a lot of wishful thinking for a small delegation of fans here, have a really hard time believing he'd be on their list but he's better than a lot of the names being bounced about by Seahawk fans.

Personally I think they're waiting for DeFilippo. Everything about him points to what they'd be looking for.

This I agree with 100%
    (St. Augustine of Hippo)

(“Ovid”)
    FidelisHawk
    NET Starter

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:Personally I think they're waiting for DeFilippo. Everything about him points to what they'd be looking for.

Pete's looking for a lackey and past associate. I think it's likelier they look at John Morton, in that case, just to see the board blow up.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:Personally I think they're waiting for DeFilippo. Everything about him points to what they'd be looking for.

Pete's looking for a lackey and past associate. I think it's likelier they look at John Morton, in that case, just to see the board blow up.

I don't think that's the case anymore, and if they want Morton he's there right now. Normally you hear of an interview or two 24-48 hours after a firing. We have heard nothing. That tells me their desired candidates are still coaching right now.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:Personally I think they're waiting for DeFilippo. Everything about him points to what they'd be looking for.

I don't think that's the case anymore, and if they want Morton he's there right now. Normally you hear of an interview or two 24-48 hours after a firing. We have heard nothing. That tells me their desired candidates are still coaching right now.

This is why I'm hoping for an Eagles loss to get Defilippo in the building as soon as possible. Plus, he's a QB coach so it would be a promotion, not lateral in the case of others if Pete doesn't want to give out another AHC job. He did some awesome things with Wentz this year, I think he could really take Russell to the next level.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 am
  • mistaowen wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

This is why I'm hoping for an Eagles loss to get Defilippo in the building as soon as possible. Plus, he's a QB coach so it would be a promotion, not lateral in the case of others if Pete doesn't want to give out another AHC job. He did some awesome things with Wentz this year, I think he could really take Russell to the next level.

His contract also ends this year, so really they don't even need to give him the AHC title, though that could be a sweetener to give him reason to ride it out until Pete retires. But yes, definitely root for Atlanta tomorrow.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:10 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:Per you, hiring DeFilippo means hes gone in a year.. soooo apparently you think he'd do a great job too?

That isn't how it always works though.

HC & OC require two different skill sets. He has been earmarked already as the next young HC in this copycat league. He only has 1 yr of OC exp with the Browns. He is now suddenly great because he is Wentz' QB coach. He will be a HC as long as he doesn't screw it up in the next year. In other words he could be just okay, and would be hired a year later anyway. This league fires about 8 coaches a year, and somebody has to fill these spots. DeFilippo is next in line.

I personally would rather get a guy that has the track record of being a great OC, but is viewed as not HC material instead.

DeFilippo would potentially do a great job, but he is more HC material.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:11 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Normally you also see coaches fired immediately. Bevell and Cable lasted three more days after the end of the final game. That Seattle operates normally is too convenient of an assumption.

Not that I want Morton that terribly much, but the cynical part of me thinks we end up with him. Pete firing Bevell and Cable doesn't mean he's changed. Just means he needed to sacrifice a couple of lambs.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

Normally you also see coaches fired immediately. Bevell and Cable lasted three more days after the end of the final game. That Seattle operates normally is too convenient of an assumption.

Not that I want Morton that terribly much, but the cynical part of me thinks we end up with him. Pete firing Bevell and Cable doesn't mean he's changed. Just means he needed to sacrifice a couple of lambs.

It wasn't 3 days after the final game, it was 11 days.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 am
  • For those that think Pete will hire someone who he associated with, you could be wrong. Remember when John Schneider was hired, everyone thought Pat Kirwan would get the job because of his long ties with Pete Carrol. That didn't prove to be true. Pete went ahead and hired our genius GM because of what he saw in him and look what happened.

The Philly and Saints guy's seem very interesting. I'd love to go to something new and cutting edge. Which I suspect Pete would want to as well.
    ApnaHawk
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 am

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am
  • nwHawk wrote:Keep an eye out for Marc Trestman. There are connectors to Pete and Russ (NC St). Just saying. First year Toronto head coach, this year, and goes out and wins the Grey Cup Campionship.

Fixed that for you :D
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

I really believe the delay was in large part because they wanted to give these guys an opportunity to interview for a HC gig elsewhere. There were rumors of the Colts interest in Cable and Richard. I know Bevell didn't get any HC interest, but I think they wanted to let the feelers and requests for interviews come in before letting them go.

Could be wrong there though. This is just me guessing.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:29 am
  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:

This is where I'm at right now as well. The fact we've heard very little about any interview process tells me that some (all) of their main targets are still involved in the playoffs right now. I'm really hoping it's going to end up being DeFilippo. 1 year rental or not he could do great things with Russ and leave him with tools he can use well beyond just a single season.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:09 am
  • original poster wrote:
    mistaowen wrote:I would be thrilled with DeFilippo. Smart young guy, I really like the Eagles concepts he would bring. Plus, would challenge Russell.

Sounds amazing. Russ probably gets a pat on the back every Friday, not a test.

Yj
    This is who Russ needs..
    This will fix a couple of his issues.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information