Delano Hill is not good enough to be a starter

hawknation2018

Reaction score
My biggest concern for next season is what happens at the strong safety position. Kam Chancellor may never play football again if he is not cleared from the nerve injury in his neck. Bradley McDougald played well enough in his stead and says he would like to return to the Seahawks, but it is unclear whether the team is committed to re-signing him.

Delano Hill is not good enough in coverage to be a starter in the NFL. Relying on Hill would be a disaster. He has poor instincts, and I can't see him improving enough in the off-season to become league average.

One alternative might be to move Earl Thomas to strong safety. Thomas looks huge now and could be a little slower than he used to be, so it might be wise to consider moving him closer to the line of scrimmage, where he can make more plays against the run, a la Troy Polamalu. Then they could use Tedric Thompson, DeShawn Shead, or someone else (i.e. Keith McGill) at FS.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
How do we know this? I barely saw him on the field besides special teams

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
You don't know if he is or isn't good enough in coverage to be a starter.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":125yhnv9 said:
Do we have any tape on the kid?

3+ years at Michigan and 32 snaps in place of Chancellor this season.

If people annoy me enough, I might add some GIFs to this thread as the off-season goes along.

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3kcjjeq9 said:
CHawkTailGator":3kcjjeq9 said:
Do we have any tape on the kid?

3+ years at Michigan and 32 snaps in place of Chancellor this season.

If people annoy me enough, I might add some GIFs to this thread as the off-season goes along.

Do it. Right now you have nothing.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
First off, Earl isn't huge. He's still fast when not nursing a hamstring injury.

Second, 32 snaps in garbage time is hardly enough info to judge a rookie's worth. You would have said the same thing about Kam in his rookie season.

Let's get another off season out of him and see. You may certainly be right. But you could be totally off base. You don't attend practice as far as I know and anyone that doesn't attend practice has zero credibility in player evaluation on my book.

A lot of people on this site fancy themselves armchair talent evaluators. If you were really any good at it, you wouldn't be here.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Earl is one of the best free safeties in the NFL (arguably one of the best of all time) and you want him to change positions?
Where do people come up with these ideas.

OP
OP
hawknation2018

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Hill was never that good at Michigan. He takes bad angles and got beat a lot. He's similar to former SS Dion Bailey in that he moves poorly in space. As a 3rd rounder, he was a huge reach. He looked bad in the preseason, and he looked horrible replacing Kam. But go ahead and kill the messenger for having an opinion. If you think he is worthy of developing into a starter, I would be curious to hear that opinion. I think if we rely on him, like we relied on Rees Odhiambo at LT, it's going to be rough. JMO.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
He did some good things in the pre season. Had some aggressive hits. I mean, he is a rookie and throwing him under the bus right now seems a little premature unless there was a severe hatred of the pick to begin with. Even in that case we have him now and we should be willing to go through the process with him and give him a chance.

Also McDougald could come back as well so there is that.

JGreen79

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3vyc6iax said:

How about one with him view from the start of he play? There's no way to tell if his momentum was going the other way and he had to redirect. That clip may just show a fast wr made a cut already at full speed against a DB adjusting.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
This is premature. Hill is a rookie who barely played at all this year. Remember Kam's rookie Swain when he was parked in the bench all year behind Lawyer Milloy? And Kam wasn't known as a coverage safety coming out of college. He was known as a box safety who had poor coverage skills and who took bad angles. He dramatically improved as a pro. Don't count out Hill yet.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
You are most concerned about SS? Really?

Also ragging on a rookie that hasn’t even had a chance to show us what he is made of is pretty weak. It’s not like Kam walked in immediately and was all pro. It’s ok to start on ST and learn/grow. He might be really solid next year, let’s not close the book before it even starts.

Talk of moving Earl to full time SS is also just hilarious. Kam and Earl did switch of at times, but Earl is an all pro FS, just stop. Extremely important to the scheme.

adeltaY

Reaction score
I agree with the posters who say it's too early. I'm with HB in that I really don't want us to re sign McDougald. He's done really well for us and has earned an extension that I don't think we should pick up. We've seen what he has to offer: he's a solid to good player.

That's not what this team needs. We need elite talent at as many positions as we can. If there's one thing Pete has shown he can do, it's develop elite DB talent. Let's develop the guy we took pretty early relative to most DBs we take.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I have a concern about the FS/SS positions. With the :::possibilities::: that Kam retires/IR & they trade ET for draft picks.
Then What? Probably McDougald becomes a priority resign to likely replace KAM's spot, but what about the FS. They have safeties on the roster in Hill, Thompson & maybe Tyson all from last years draft, but shouldn't they draft a FS in the coming draft? IMO, if so, they have to fill RB, EDGE, LB & maybe WR big needs on the roster first. So for me, I'd be looking strongly at these guys.

FS-Armani Watts, Texas A&M, 5-110/205, (4.49/40 +/-) Projected Rd-3
(Not ET, but more of a ball hawk, thumper type.)
Career: 48-games: 328-tkls, 214-solo, 10-INT, 1-FR, 24-TFL, 1.5-Sacks, 18-PBU, 6-FF, 2-blkd kicks

FS/SS?-Quin Blanding, Virginia, 6-011/210, (4.58/40+/- ?), Projected Rd-3
(averages 10+ tkls/game, = McDougald 2.0?)
Career: 49-games, 496-tkls, 260-solo, 10-INT, 9.0-TFL, 17-PBU, 1-Sack, 1-FF

--------------IF other draft needs precludes one of above in Rd-3, the Seahawks could use a Rd-7 pick on:

FS/CB-Jamar Summers, UCONN, 5-116/185 ,( 4.44/40 +/-), Projected Rd-7.
(May be closest to ET in size/speed)
Career: 48-games, 182-tkls, 132-solo, 12-INT, 5.5-TFL, 1-Sack, 1-FR, 21-PBU, 1-FF, 1-blkd kick.

FS/CB-Dion Harris, No. Dakota, 6-015/182, (4.50/40 +/-), projected Rd-7.
(Intriguing FCS player to keep an eye on. Sleeper?)
Career: 50-games, 199-tkls, 129-solo, 4-INT, 11.5-TFL, 3-Sacks, 41-PBU, 2-QBH, 3-FF
:smilingalien:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1kh551qv said:

The dude scoring that TD is 175 # Shay Fields who has been timed around 4.3. I'd expect he could outrun Kam pretty easily- and a lot of other SS's, fwiw.

Hill had some of the same knocks as Kam re: not really a "coverage guy". Probably why they drafted him.
Around the draft I read a report that actually called Hill "the best tackler in the NCAA". Don't know about that, and a lot else about Hill right now, is all.