RW the most polarizing player to ever play for Seattle?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Any place I go or read....

It's rw is a god or rw is a bum.

Rw is a top 5 QB who has plenty of strengths and a few glaring weaknesses.

I'm not really getting into that but damn he is either loved like a god or despised by his fanbase. It seems only a few in between.

I have family who doesn't care for him and blame him no matter what. I know ppl who will blame anyone but him.

Did we have anyone on the hawks as a player lime this before?

Or is social media the reason?

Beren

Reaction score
In short, no.

He's a fantastic QB that 95% of the league would snap your hands off for - but people will always blame the QB when the team fails and football idiots/WUMs/trolls are loud, repetitive and have too much time on their hands.

original poster

Reaction score
Not sure I agree. I can’t think of a single poster on here who despises him?

Plenty recognise his flaws and openly state them, outside of a few media guys who spin the RW sucks story to get clicks I can’t think of anyone who actively pursues the narrative that he’s not good.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
original poster":2l9t92t7 said:

Plenty recognise his flaws and openly state them, outside of a few media guys who spin the RW sucks story to get clicks I can’t think of anyone who actively pursues the narrative that he’s not good.

Some Whiner fans do. :49ersmall:

original poster

Reaction score
hawknation2017":s7k6ungw said:
original poster":s7k6ungw said:

Some Whiner fans do. :49ersmall:

Valid point

Scorpion05

Reaction score
There are a myriad of reasons for that. For example, I was just on another board where someone said “JimmyG is the best Qb in the division.” I wanted to laugh but realized this person was dead serious

As much as it pains people to admit it, we’re susceptible to conventional wisdom. I look at JimmyG and he just LOOKS like a Qb. The height and everything. People don’t get that impression when they look at Russell, so Russ pretty much has to play at a high level consistently for people to give him a break..or credit

That’s not to say Russell is not flawed. But at least 60% of the time I see criticism of him, it’s not rooted in a fair analysis of film, numbers, or comparisons to the mistakes other great Qbs make around the league. And so, I think this will always be the case. Psychologically Russell does not fit what many consider to be Qb-like. I don’t think it’s his accuracy or anything either because I see Carson Wentz get praise despite throwing high and having a low completion percentage. I have honestly never seen a Qb like Russell do as well yet get so nitpicked at for what he doesn’t do. It’s a shame

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Any QB that is not named Tom Brady is controversial cause he doesn't make talent like Edelman/Wes Walker look like Randy Moss.
Any organization that is not the NE Patriots is controversial, cause they don't win enough SBs.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
jmblw.jpg

sutz

Reaction score
Good lord, where do people get this crap?

:34853_doh:

Rat

Reaction score
We used to have a league MVP running back who was hated by half the fan base. I think he was more polarizing.

Seymour

Reaction score
original poster":ug6yvjqz said:

You mean like "too short to see over the line"? :roll:

I also disagree. There are several posters here that openly despise him, and others that wait and take their shot at the right time to avoid the criticism.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
It probably seems that way more here at .net because there are a few "RW is a god that can do no wrong" types that turn appropriate criticism into 5 page threads in the name of defending their guy.

RW is a great QB and we are so lucky to have him. But he also has flaws and plays poorly at times. It would be nice if we could discuss those without those few guys getting overly defensive, but perhaps that is asking too much :D

Seattle seems to be a place where some fans are more likely to form emotional connections to pro athletes. I wonder if some take his media criticism to heart and wear the chip on their shoulder for him.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Beren":1s7eqbi7 said:
In short, no.

He's a fantastic QB that 95% of the league would snap your hands off for - but people will always blame the QB when the team fails and football idiots/WUMs/trolls are loud, repetitive and have too much time on their hands.

I laughed when I saw the In short comment. No doubt it wasn't your intent based on your other comments but it made me smile.

Russ is the best QB the Seahawks have ever had. For him to be polarizing, there would have to be some discussion about that and there really isn't. That said, he can always do better, but there are 5 offensive line guys around him that need to do better too and their performance is causing an impact on Russ because he just doesn't trust the line.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but for those arguing that it's not a Darrell Bevell problem and more a Russell Wilson problem, then why doesn't Bevell build around Russell's strengths i.e. shorter routes, more options, more creativity, instead of calling the same generic playcalling hoping it will work.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
I criticize Russ as much as possible because his personality annoys me.

But he's a Top 3 QB to me.

I'm irritated and amazed by him at the same time.

inda2o6

Reaction score
I would say Shaun Alexander. He didn’t run as hard unless they were in the red one or playing in primetime. Once he got his extension & Mack Strong retired. It was crap to watch. Holmgren wouldn’t trust him for 3rd and long plays. It was 3rd and long, hand to Mack Strong on a draw play. :sarcasm_on: the good old days. :sarcasm_off: The Seahawks paid him after losing Hutch to the Vikings. Bad investment at the time.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think his personality is polarizing, but I think 95% of us agree he's a special QB that is responsible for a large part of the Hawk's success.