McDougald is #1 safety in run stop %

semiahmoo

Reaction score
And I believe we are paying him much less than a million for the season.

Good return on investment!

sutz

Reaction score
Sign him up! Lock him in long term!

:2thumbs:

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Critical signing. We were screwed last year after Earl Thomas went down. I'm not a believer in Delano Hill, so I hope they can find a way to re-sign McDougald or find someone else good. I do think Tedric Thompson has some potential to become a playmaker.

RussB

Reaction score
Really impressed with his play. Hes been really legit along with justin coleman. 2 great signings.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
sutz":2qsicyhd said:

No, no, we have to let him go because he'll get lazy if he's paid and raaaarrr let's be cutthroat like New England.

In all seriousness, tho, yes, get it done. He's outperformed all expectations and made members of the LOB expendable. Best FA signing of the year. One of the best pickups since Lynch.

sutz

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":gt1d2jvr said:
sutz":gt1d2jvr said:

No, no, we have to let him go because he'll get lazy if he's paid and raaaarrr let's be cutthroat like New England.
:laugh: :rofl:

Lot of that kind of commentary around here. :snack:

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
To stay ahead of the curve, I advocate not resigning any player that shows signs of productivity. It's the only sure way!

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Still can't believe he signed for that cheap. Did other teams not see how good he was last year?

original poster

Reaction score
I think he’s going to be too expensive for Seattle next year unfortunately.

Wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him get $6-8M APY

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
semiahmoo":e351caq2 said:
And I believe we are paying him much less than a million for the season.

Good return on investment!

Per Spotrac;
“Bradley McDougald signed a 1 year, $1,800,000 contract with the Seattle Seahawks, including a $750,000 signing bonus, $750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,800,000. In 2017, McDougald will earn a base salary of $800,000, a signing bonus of $750,000, a roster bonus of $250,000 and a incentive bonus of $200,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,000,000 and a dead cap value of $800,000.”

His last year with Tampa, his cap number was $2,553,000

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Well another pick for us if he cannot be signed.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Yet somehow we have given up crazy yards in run defense? [emoji17]

Kam is under contract and we used a 3rd on Hill last year. Guys like McDougal are luxuries.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

seedhawk

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe, instead of applauding the stat and McD's play, we should be asking why a guy splitting his play time between both safety spots has this stat in his resume? Are other defenders not doing their jobs? Is our scheme such that we actually rely on the last line of D for a run stop?

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":2lu2cgd2 said:
Maybe, just maybe, instead of applauding the stat and McD's play, we should be asking why a guy splitting his play time between both safety spots has this stat in his resume? Are other defenders not doing their jobs? Is our scheme such that we actually rely on the last line of D for a run stop?

I would probably agree that could be a legitimate concern IF Bobby Wagner didn’t lead the league in solo tackles.

Instead I’ll just conclude that, for a safety, McDougal is pretty good in run support

getnasty

Reaction score
seedhawk":1vxqiv5a said:

Our Strong Saftey pretty much lives in the box on run down so not a real big surprise to see these numbers.

OP
OP
hawknation2017

hawknation2017

Reaction score
seedhawk":25bxn3y0 said:

To a certain extent. Certainly the games without K.J. Wright and an injured Bobby Wagner have contributed to this. Richard Sherman was also the #1 corner in the league against the run. Michael Bennett is probably playing too many snaps to be really effective against the run.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
This is all well and good. It's very good for a normal safety, in fact, but we have been severely hampered in sealing the edges that he's on. If it's Kam and it's a TE, pulling G, FB, or whoever, Kam pinches that edge off to the 98th percentile where they either have to turn back inside or they have to string it out to the sideline. We aren't getting that now and everyone knows it...and by that I mean teams that are facing us. We have been getting killed left and right in off tackle type plays.

McDougald has been good, but if Kam isn't ever going to play again I'd like to see a bigger, more aggressive athlete there. Yes, that is a lot to ask, but it's been a huge piece of the consistency of our run defense that has been really hit and miss since. And I say that knowing we have had games with no starting backers or a 50% injured backer or whatever. It just makes a massive difference.

EDIT:

Either that or we need to actually invest in a real SLB that can kill off that edge like Kam can. McDougald is fine in coverage, but with Kam you're basically getting a 2 for 1 player where you can just rely on "some guy" to play SLB for roughly 45% of the snaps, if that. As far as the cap goes, it's a huge value. Again, if Kam can't ever come back, I think we really need to look at shoring up sealing that edge with another player besides McDougald, which means we'll either have to hit in the draft or we'll actually have to pay for two legitimate players rather than just Kam.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
vin.couve12":uxop5u0y said:
This is all well and good. It's very good for a normal safety, in fact, but we have been severely hampered in sealing the edges that he's on. If it's Kam and it's a TE, pulling G, FB, or whoever, Kam pinches that edge off to the 98th percentile where they either have to turn back inside or they have to string it out to the sideline. We aren't getting that now and everyone knows it...and by that I mean teams that are facing us. We have been getting killed left and right in off tackle type plays.

McDougald has been good, but if Kam isn't ever going to play again I'd like to see a bigger, more aggressive athlete there. Yes, that is a lot to ask, but it's been a huge piece of the consistency of our run defense that has been really hit and miss since. And I say that knowing we have had games with no starting backers or a 50% injured backer or whatever. It just makes a massive difference.

EDIT:

Either that or we need to actually invest in a real SLB that can kill off that edge like Kam can. McDougald is fine in coverage, but with Kam you're basically getting a 2 for 1 player where you can just rely on "some guy" to play SLB for roughly 45% of the snaps, if that. As far as the cap goes, it's a huge value. Again, if Kam can't ever come back, I think we really need to look at shoring up sealing that edge with another player besides McDougald, which means we'll either have to hit in the draft or we'll actually have to pay for two legitimate players rather than just Kam.

Thanks for the actual X's and O's analysis. It's good to see someone appreciate Kam's worth.

Latest posts