Do you agree this ruined RW MVP race?

rossob

Reaction score
Few thoughts on the artcle:
Seattle is quietly fifth among all teams in drops
I didn't think we were that bad, guess this should help Wilson in the MVP race.

he makes magic happen on a mediocre offense.
That's certainly an understatement. Our offense isn't mediocre, especially without Russell.

It is also interesting that Russell was actually better in the first half in his first two seasons. The three following ones both halfes were pretty similar, and then comes this season...
I am curious what has changed. Is it the prevent defense in the 2. half? Just inept playcalling? Being willing to take more risks?

To come back to your question, Wilson is definitely out of the MVP race imo and his bad first halfes have a lot to do with it. However, he could have overcome it if he would have balled the last games of the season or at least played good.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If we don't make the playoffs I think there is almost no chance he gets the MVP.

907Hawk

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2vy7q77y said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/12/19/16792472/russell-wilson-slow-starts-2017-nfl-season-mvp-race

Do you agree with article on why this sunk him for MVP race?

No, the last two games sunk his MVP chances.

Seymour

Reaction score
Wilson doesn't need the MVP anyway. Just more ammo for the haters. He's got Ciara and a few $$ consolation prize he'll be fine. But no, it's obviously off after that beating he took along with the playoff picture.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yep.. MVP of the league is unlikely.
MVP of this team is certain.
I just want him to assert himself and demand as much of his offense as he demands of himself. Be the fiery Russell and not the passive Pete persona.
Ifedi needs to hold his freakin water!! Etc...

King Dog

Reaction score
The whole game plan for Wilson is for him to drop back, run around like a chicken with his head cut off and hopefully work his magic. What happened to the quick drops/passes in the 2nd half of 2015 when he was killing it? MVP? Yeah right.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I do agree it ruined his chances. This is a week to week league, and recency bias is King in the NFL

If we sneak into the playoffs and he kills it in the last 2 weeks, he'll be right back in the discussion. Wentz is injured, Brady hasn't played too hot lately either. Gurley or AB won't get it, because at the end of the day those guys are only great components

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I hate it for Russ but too many injuries to the team around him and not enough wins.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
He was never in the race. He was only ever in the conversation.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":t2l18jv8 said:
If we don't make the playoffs I think there is almost no chance he gets the MVP.

There's now no chance he gets MVP even if we miraculously make it.

Last two weeks sealed his fate.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":23ezst09 said:

It's not ALMOST no chance, it's no chance.

Any hope of Russell's chances at the MVP evaporated the past two weeks.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
He just had to keep up his pace of 200+ yards per game and get wins and the MVP was in the bag.

The Hawks lost the last 2, going to miss the playoffs, and Wilson's stats have been terrible in the process. Yeah, his MVP chances are done.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
MVP? #1) - TOM BRADY:
--Passing: 14 games; 346/516, 67.1%, 4163-yds, 8.1-ypa,, 28-TD's, 7-INT, 105..2-QBR
--Rushing: 13 games: 21 attempts, 22-yds., 0-TD's, 5 rushes for 1-St downs.

..............Total QB Yardage/TD's/INT; 4185-yds, 28-TD's, 7-INT..............

MVP? #2) - RUSSELL WILSON:
--Passing: 14-games; 307/503, 61.0%, 3669-yds, 7.3-ypa, 30-TD's, 11-INT, 95.5-QBR
--Rushing: 14 games: 81- attempts, 521-yds, 6.43/ypc, 3-TD's, 4 runs for 20+, 29 for 1-st. downs

..............Total QB Yardage/TD's/INT; 4190-yds, 32-TD's, 11-INT..............

Closer than some may think, (pending the next couple of games), clearly Brady is in the lead, and probably will be MVP/?

:smilingalien:

Seafan

Reaction score
Passing stats aren't the only indicator. Third down efficiency, fumbles, sacks, penalties.. points given to the opposition, etc, etc but most important is wins/losses.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yeah Seafan is right. The saddest thing to me is that RW used to be an efficiency ninja now he's a volume monster. His completion percentage and yards per attempt are so down it hurts my soul.

Anthony!

Reaction score
adeltaY":3m4mgbgh said:
Yeah Seafan is right. The saddest thing to me is that RW used to be an efficiency ninja now he's a volume monster. His completion percentage and yards per attempt are so down it hurts my soul.

Agreed that is not all his fault, we have had a lot of drops this year, and with no run game, he is having to do even more, than in the past, and for whatever reason our OC just will not stay with what works