Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Starters not on the team next year predictions:

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • RussB wrote:Bennett
    Cliff
    Kam
    Wright

I think those guys have a high chance of being gone. ET3 and sherman and wagner will probably be the only guys left and sherman might get delt too.

Cutting those 4 plus Jeremy Lane free's up nearly $24M in cap space.

If you add Sherm to that, it comes to nearly $35M.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Easier said than done. We have no idea what other teams were offering, or if they were offering anything at all. And knowing when it's time to let a guy go is no exact science. Looking at it now, obviously it would have been better to trade some of the guys, but the team had no way of knowing that Avril, Kam and Sherm would all go down. And the chemistry in the locker room (not that it has been great overall) goes way down if they had started trading the core defensive guys.

They were offering more than zero draft picks, which is what our injured overpriced vets are worth now..............and not sure how chemistry can get much worse than it is now.

It's been a detriment to this locker room for 2-3 years now.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• original poster wrote:
    RussB wrote:Bennett
    Cliff
    Kam
    Wright

I think those guys have a high chance of being gone. ET3 and sherman and wagner will probably be the only guys left and sherman might get delt too.

Cutting those 4 plus Jeremy Lane free's up nearly $24M in cap space.

If you add Sherm to that, it comes to nearly $35M.

Exactly, they are aging and its foolish to be holding on to them for so long while the offense is in shambles. Time to let some of them go while building around wagner and wilson.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:What pisses me off most is all of the players listed on this thread we could have gotten high picks for if we traded them in the off season, or even last year while they were still healthy with multiple years under contract.

Now they're injured and old, and have ZERO trade value.

So other than just cutting them and getting cap relief, there's no upside. It's EXACTLY why Belichick and the Patriot's trade their defensive stars IN their prime, and not wait until it's too late.

Misguided anger when there is nobody to step in for them and keep us competitive. That anger should be toward the draft and who is making those choices IMO.

What good are draft picks when we turn them into Ifedi's and McDowell's while passing on many many solid starters?
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:What pisses me off most is all of the players listed on this thread we could have gotten high picks for if we traded them in the off season, or even last year while they were still healthy with multiple years under contract.

So other than just cutting them and getting cap relief, there's no upside. It's EXACTLY why Belichick and the Patriot's trade their defensive stars IN their prime, and not wait until it's too late.

Misguided anger when there is nobody to step in for them and keep us competitive. That anger should be toward the draft and who is making those choices IMO.

What good are draft picks when we turn them into Ifedi's and McDowell's while passing on many many solid starters?

I still dont get to this day that they didnt take ramzyk.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• RussB wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:What pisses me off most is all of the players listed on this thread we could have gotten high picks for if we traded them in the off season, or even last year while they were still healthy with multiple years under contract.

I still dont get to this day that they didnt take ramzyk.

Or Cam Robinson. :roll:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:

That's why you trade aging vets, for draft picks.

It also creates a wider net for a better chance of hitting on the picks.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Again, extremely easy to say that they should traded a bunch of these guys after the fact. How many people were saying they should trade all these guys before the season? And if they did, all we would hear is "what the hell are they doing?"
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

So you trade aging vets for draft picks that you have been missing on continue to miss on?

Got it. :2thumbs:

We had 10 last year, yet are forced into signing Walsh, Lacy, Joeckel.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Again, extremely easy to say that they should traded a bunch of these guys after the fact. How many people were saying they should trade all these guys before the season? And if they did, all we would hear is "what the hell are they doing?"

You keep arguing in extremes.

I never said trade ALL of them, or that the problem is ONLY age. We can come to a sensible medium you know.

Yes, it's a tough choice to decide to trade away popular vets who are still playing well. But that's what vision is, to trust your GM to use those picks wisely to find the right replacements to continue to compete, and not sell out like we did this year mortgaging our future in the hopes that most of these guys could stay healthy and productive all year.

Now we're screwed. We've got injured untradable vets on the bench, and 30% less picks over the next two years to replace them.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

So you trade aging vets for draft picks that you have been missing on continue to miss on?

You left out Pocic, Griffin and Jones, all contributors this year, and good contributors.............
    Last edited by original poster on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Attack the post
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:Now we're screwed. We've got injured untradable vets on the bench, and 30% less picks over the next two years to replace them.

Exactly why we need to start doing mooore with less Brofessor.

And it aint happening with Cable here! :141847_bnono:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

You left out Pocic, Griffin and Jones, all contributors this year, and good contributors..............

I said no top starters (all pro / game changers) in 5 years, that is it.
    Last edited by original poster on Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Attack the post
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I don’t even like Sherman, but I wouldn’t get rid of him just for cap savings. He strikes me as a guy that will come back and be the same dude after injury. He is one of the best CBs out there, and is worth the money.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Sherm is gonna' be so fired up to get back. That chip will be large. I doubt they let him go, and I hope they don't. He helps Shaq out a lot, even now from the sidelines. And he's the type of player that many QB's ignore on purpose. Can't really put a price tag on that kind of respect from the opponent.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• Starters who will not return to the Seahawks next season:

Avril, Bennett, Graham, Maxwell, Walsh, Joekel, Iefedi, Lacey
    SeahawksEast
    NET Rookie

• As bad as Ifedi is... I'd rather have him sit on the bench and get paid 2.25M as a backup than cut him and pay him 3.31M.

(According to Spotrac)
    JGreen79
    NET Veteran

• Not a hope in hell Ifedi isn't on this team next year.

Anyone remember Britt?
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• when ifedi played guard, the seahawks were mauling the falcons in the divisional playoffs. it was when ifedi went out that everything went south. maybe put ifedi back at guard, or give him another season to gel at tackle. definitely, scrap this zone blocking rigarmarole and get down to the brass tacks of putting a hat on a hat, and getting the big push.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• :vodka:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Well, he'll likely going to ask for 15 mil a year, at least. Just don't have the cap for that.

No one's giving him that much
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• There's no reason yet to be scared of the Rams long-term. They are more talented than we are right this minute for two reasons.

1) Up until their kicker got hurt this week they've had top 3 injury luck while we've had bottom 3 injury luck. There's no reason to expect this to continue indefinitely into the future.

2) The Rams are underpaying a huge chunk of their team on cheap rookie contracts. The price of success is that those rookies are going to want deals and extensions. Each year that comparative advantage will slowly disintegrate as they sign their rookies to fair deals.

Given both of those points I think a vocal 20% of this forum is wildly overreacting regarding both coaching staffs. We've had a ton of success when we've had the kind of health that the Rams did this season and the jury is completely out on how McVay can keep the team together over the long haul.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• My prediction is These are cuts or retires: Avril, Wilhoite, Walsh, Lane, Lacy, Joekel, Jimmy G, Sheldon, Oday, Maxewell, Rawls.
    Re-sign Duane Brown or extend him, not sure of his contract length.
    Re-sign Luke Willson, Paul Richardson, Bradley McDougle.
    Add Free-agents with the rest of the money.
    Last edited by inda2o6 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
    inda2o6
    NET Practice Squad

• Wrong Steve, word is he is going to get 14-15 mil a year.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• inda2o6 wrote:My prediction is These are cuts or retires: Avril, Wilhoite, Walsh, Lane, Lacy, Joekel, Jimmy G, Sheldon, Oday, Maxewell.
    Re-sign Duane Brown or extend him, not sure of his contract length.
    Re-sign Luke Willson, Paul Richardson, Bradley McDougle.
    Add Free-agents with the rest of the money.

Duane Brown is under contract next year however will almost definitely be extended this off season, could well reduce his cap hit for 2018. Same applies to Earl Thomas, if they chose to go down that route.

Here's my predictions -

Not on the team that are under contract for next year -

Cuts -

Richard Sherman (not entirely sure on this one) - $11M cap saving
    Cliff Avril - $7.5M cap saving
    Jeremy Lane - $4.75M cap saving
    Jon Ryan - $2M cap saving

Resigned -

Bradley McDouglad
    Dion Jordan
    Justin Coleman
    J.D. McKissic
    Tyler Ott
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Previous

It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information