I Believe this Offensive Line is going to Gel This Week

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's been fits and starts, some glimpses of good things, but injuries keep throwing a monkey wrench in the works.

We've finally got some real talent on the line, and Germaine, if he would just grow up and stop it with the selfishness and idiocy! He'd be alright. The man is a physical talent, but he's a Mental Midget. Taunting a Referee? I've never heard of anything so stupid!

I know from listening to podcasts all summer, that Justin Britt led the offensive line group in training this last off season, and he busted his tail. He was all over Pocic as soon as we drafted him, the first call Joekel got when he signed was from Britt, and Justin was on Ifedi's ass this summer, trying to turn him in to a Pro. Too bad he's not a Psychologist, because that's what Germaine needs.

Justin had those guys training 5 and 6 days a week this summer, and if they could just get some consistency, they could really take off and this team could walk all over opponents, with a running game. Which is, finally, starting to appear.

Despite my optimism, I still have 2 questions about the OLine/Running Game though.

1. Why not place Ethan at Right Tackle, and Germaine at Right Guard? That way Ifedi's puny brain could handle the skill required for that position. Maybe they are seeing improvement from Ifedi at RT and are hoping he'll wrap his head around his responsibility? I dunno, but it seems like a failure to me. And why they haven't sat him, like the did with Giacomini? It worked for Breno, because it's the only thing he understood.

2. Why are they so impatient with Thomas Rawls? They need to admit that they are missing something when it comes to making decisions about the running game. Just look at Alex Collins. And look at how good Thomas has been in the past. 160 yards behind a shit line!

But as soon as Rawls makes a mistake, they yank him! They refuse to let him get the reps and settle down! instead, pulling the young man from the game and destroying his confidence! I remember early on Pete laughing and saying "You should have seen his eyes, they were big as saucers!" What's that tell you Pete? He needs reps. Or Ritalin.

Add to that, the asinine behavior of Cable, waiting until Rawls was getting dressed in the locker room, then sending someone over to tell Thomas "Take your pads off, you're not dressing for this game." Tom Cable is the "run game coordinator" correct? Choosing he dresses and who doesn't should be his responsibility. So why treat a YOUNG running back like that? Chickenshit.

I've been somewhat reticent about "Fire Tom Cable," but now I'm hoping someone hires him away. Just look at the history of this offensive line, and the STEADY deterioration of the running game! I don't know who else you could say is responsible? The only time we've had success was when we had Marshawn Lynch, and NOT because of Cable.

Tom Cable has gotten too big for his britches, and I believe he takes advantage of Pete's good nature and trust. But that's just my feelings, I have no knowledge of the situation. It's just what it looks like from the outside.

But despite my rant, I still believe this Offensive Line is about to take over the game and remain in the Top 5 to 10 lines in the NFL. I believe we will have a 100 yard rusher before the season is over and that will propel us in to, and through the playoffs.

I see Offensive Line success, In spite of Tom Cable being their coach. Sad thing is, he'll take responsibility for the improvement. When the reality is, the quality of players will be the reason this line succeeds.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
LIstening to John and Gee from yesterday, hour 1, 31 minutes in and Clayton asks what has happened to Thomas Rawls, and Gee says "I think he has a confidence issue."

JOHN CLAYTON -- December 14, 2017 - Hour 1

In the top 5, John and Gee discuss the latest on Seahawks injuries,

Pete Carroll backing Blair Walsh
, the Mariners signing some relievers yesterday,

Malik McDowell's arrest video being released, and

Marcus Mariota apologizing to reporters for being short after the Titans loss to Arizona Sunday.

Then, Mike Davis joins the Professor to discuss running against the Rams defense and

Gee Scott takes us Behind the Lines

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... hn+Clayton

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Classy hawk fans calling a player "puny brain" and "selfish". However the same fans loved giacomini(spelling) rough style. Yep Ifedi has tons of flags but he is in his 2nd yr. (Good thing we didn't rid of Britt like most of the " genius" hawk fan base wanted.)

Y'all love Ethan though. He has been flagged in every game and bullrushes to the ground multiple times a game. (But, but, but he is year 1)

You guys treat ifedi like he is year 5 player. He isn't playing his position from what I've read.

I just think its funny the name calling. Stay classy.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I don't have good answers to these questions. Just want to say this is a great OP that I hope every Seahawks fan will read.

The offensive line has been playing much better the last few weeks against some great defensive fronts.

I think the Duane Brown trade was one of the best trade acquisitions in franchise history. The Marshawn Lynch trade was, I think, the best. Kudos to Schneider for that. Brown is having a really nice effect. Ifedi has also been improving as a tackle, while shutting down some very good edge rushers the last few weeks. And Britt is doing some great work in both the run game and pass pro.

The Rams -- led by one of the best players in the league, Aaron Donald -- will provide another formidable test this week.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Ifedi is the most penalised in the league on a per snap basis. It takes about ten fewer snaps for him to draw a penalty on average than the guy in second place. Pocic isn't even in the top 13.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I would feel more confident in your assessment if we weren't facing Aaron Donald this week.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, they looked pretty good on the road vs. a much better D than the Rams. So, clearly they are improving overall. Though I'm long since done w/Penalty Ifedi.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
adeltaY":1x6f2do9 said:
Ifedi is the most penalised in the league on a per snap basis. It takes about ten fewer snaps for him to draw a penalty on average than the guy in second place. Pocic isn't even in the top 13.

Tackles typically get more penalties than other positions. I predicted before the season that Ifedi would be beset with penalties this year due to compensating for his lack of ideal lateral agility for the tackle position. Unfortunately, there was no better option this year at RT than Ifedi. Next year there could be with Brown and Fant at the tackle positions and Ifedi inside.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yeah, the vast majority of most penalized players are tackles due to the higher degree of difficulty than you mentioned. Still, I think Pocic has been noticeably better than Glow or Aboushi.

Also, great point on Duane Brown. He was manhandling the Jags pass-rushers most of the game. Not a sight we've been accustomed to seeing since maybe Okung's probowl year.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
adeltaY":12mi7xrr said:
Yeah, the vast majority of most penalized players are tackles due to the higher degree of difficulty than you mentioned. Still, I think Pocic has been noticeably better than Glow or Aboushi.

Also, great point on Duane Brown. He was manhandling the Jags pass-rushers most of the game. Not a sight we've been accustomed to seeing since maybe Okung's probowl year.
Early Christmas present,reasonably healthy Duane,Bobby and K.J.,please Santa.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
adeltaY":3d5x9v3b said:

No pocic is just on his back. Lmao

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
And brown trade was just a huge get that has sorta been overlooked due to hawks dwindling playoffs chances.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Pocic at least gets in the pass rusher's way when he gets beat. Joeckel has gotten beaten in spectacular fashion more times than Ethan. No reason to hate on the kid, his technique is good and there's no reason to believe he can't put on strength and be a great guard for us. He's also playing out of position, he was a center in university. Ifedi at least played tackle for a few years in university so the position isn't as unfamiliar to him.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
adeltaY":3fmz1ebc said:
Pocic at least gets in the pass rusher's way when he gets beat. Joeckel has gotten beaten in spectacular fashion more times than Ethan. No reason to hate on the kid, his technique is good and there's no reason to believe he can't put on strength and be a great guard for us. He's also playing out of position, he was a center in university. Ifedi at least played tackle for a few years in university so the position isn't as unfamiliar to him.

This is ifedi's first yr playing at tackle. He is #1 in flags. The other top 5? All tackles playing tackle for first time.

So technically we got people in here calling him all sorts of names when he never has played RT in the NFL before this year. It isn't a coincidence that all the top 5 most flagged guys are first year tackles.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
adeltaY":2uocxxx8 said:

Seems like your picking and choosing who you like and your reasoning behind it. Just like a lot of members on here when Ifedi is mentioned. Yes, he is the most penalized player. He is also playing RT in the NFL for first time in his second yr.

So facts are:

Ifedi first year at tackle. Most flags in NFL. Top 5 most flagged players are all FIRST YEAR players at tackle position. Regardless if he is second year, he is first year as RT in the NFL.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yes, but the difference between Ifedi and the others is substantial. I actually think that if he cleaned up the flags, he would exceed expectations for this year. He's been pretty solid in pass protection.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
adeltaY":3803y1cg said:
Yes, but the difference between Ifedi and the others is substantial. I actually think that if he cleaned up the flags, he would exceed expectations for this year. He's been pretty solid in pass protection.

My whole point is he is first year at tackle. All others in the top 5 are tackles learning in first yr.

Is Ethan a bust to me? No.

Ifedi? Nope.

Why? Its too early. Both are playing in the NFL at that position for the first time.

So why does one get a pass? But the other is called "stupid, dumb, puny brain,etc"

Kind of seems first year tackles in the NFL get penalized the most by stats.

Just like Ethan having issues. Let them learn before you question their IQ.

Give it a cpl yrs.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I really can't believe there's still any Seahawk fans who still believe in Cables O-lines.

Definition of insanity: trying the same exact thing over and over again and expecting different results