Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

To the doomers and the optimists:

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:39 pm
  • Both groups, the doomers and the optimists, are equally naive.

    Fact: This team has been slowly trending downward overall since we lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots. This has been visible the whole time if you care to accurately evaluate the product you see on the field.
    Fact: We're not in blow-up-the-franchise mode.
    Fact: We're also not "just fine" - if you make posts in the main forum saying you still have faith we can win the Super Bowl (and I'm talking about having done that at any time this whole season), then you are purposely sticking your head in the sand, and your mentality places being a fan higher than accepting the facts, which is not uncommon, but incredibly frustrating to witness.
    Fact: I would like everyone to wake the hell up, take off the rose-colored glasses - and BOTH EXTREME SIDES OF THIS ARGUMENT ARE WEARING THEM - and start being realistic.
    Fact: We should make some big changes this off-season, but we won't, because Pete is too loyal to his coaches.
    Very strong likelihood: Unless we do make some big changes, we are resigned to another "almost" season next year, where we will make the playoffs and win one playoff game at most before being bounced out again, which is what will also happen this year.
    Fact that applies to my state of mind, but probably some others around here as well: I had more fun watching the Seahawks in Pete Carroll's second season here where we still went 7-9 and missed the playoffs, but the overall improvement in the product on the field was palpable and exciting, and we just KNEW things were only getting better.

    I'm not a bandwagon fan. I was around the prior iteration of this forum for years before my registration date here. Ah, the Scout days...Also, I've been a Seahawks fan as far back as I can remember, including the second half of my childhood which was spent in Wisconsin during the Favre glory years (screw the Packers and their toothless hunting-is-everything Miller-swilling fan base), and that was NOT an easy time to be a Seahawks fan in public schools in Packerland; I took a lot of crap for it from the natives, especially with Behring trying to move our team to L.A.

    I will still watch every single game no matter what. I love this team and that will never change. However, I'm facing the music - if there aren't some big changes made by the start of next season, our downhill trend will continue, and that's really hard to watch because I love the Seahawks so much and I also know what Pete Carroll is capable of doing. Perhaps old age is making him more stubborn than he realizes; I don't know, but I hope to Christ he wakes up before it's too late.

    To the extremists on both sides - those who preach eternal doom and gloom, and to those that are eternal optimists: take both of your points of view and shove 'em where the sun don't shine (grammatical error intentional), and take a really close look at what's ACTUALLY happening...and try to post more accordingly.

    :salute:
    Last edited by RolandDeschain on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30063
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:50 pm
  • I like carrot cake!
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2846
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:59 pm
  • Good post Ro
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13962
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • The other team that used to win with defense and had to make the transition to winning with offense?

    The Steelers.

    They have not really been a threat to seriously win it all since but they haven't turned into a doormat either.

    This team is probably good for at least 8 wins or more a year, for at least a few years.

    But the window is probably closed, even if mathematically open.

    I wouldn't mind so much if they would bother to actually play the full football game instead of just trying to convert downs and milk clock with no urgency to actually score, at least until they get behind.

    Still, the Steelers dealt with losing their coaches too, having their best coordinators hired away, etc. And constantly losing FAs.

    It isn't a terrible future if that is the analogy for next few years...just not as bright as we had hoped.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3359
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 pm
  • Well said.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5075
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:41 pm
  • Terrible, disgusting injuries.

    Yet, we still have a chance to win the division without needing anyone else to lose. Just win the games in front of us, and we're in.

    It's going to be tough, but I would rather be optimistic about competing with what we've got. And critical about what I hope will change (*cough*new play caller*cough*).

    We already got a legit LT, which is something I have wanted for a long time and will pay dividends in the coming games and seasons. Also a very good backup safety in Bradley McDougald, which was missing last year at this time.
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1812
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 pm
  • Well said, agree 100%.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    User avatar
    hawker84
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4603
    Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
    Location: Tri Cities, WA


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:44 pm
  • Garbage post. Disguising facts as opinions doesn't warrant much credibility. Aside from some pretty big injuries, the Hawks are fine as a whole and the system produces a Super Bowl contender each and every year.
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3776
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm
  • *cough*new play caller*cough*

    :2thumbs:
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1812
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:57 pm
  • I think you're right on the money for most of those points. "Fact that applies to my state of mind" is just an opinion though LOL. I think the injuries really played a part in our suckiness this year. I do 100% agree to you that even with most of the team healthy, we were worse than 2012-2014, but man, if we had our guys healthy that's probably good for 2 more wins. That would put us in contention for a bye and possible #1 seed right now. It's a luck-based game when it comes to injuries unfortunately, though I agree with you that aging players will increase our risks of injury.

    2013 was a lucky year for us, injury-wise. I think we didn't have Clem for quite a few games and Browner was suspended (or hurt?). 2014, we lost Bwagz and Kam for some time, but still managed the #1 seed. 2015 we lost Kam for a while, but it was a bad year where we were blowing fourth quarter leads like nobody's business early in the season. 2016, Russ and Earl were hurt. This year..... just awful injury wise. I swear, even if we had one more win and had maybe Sherm, Wagner, and Carson healthy, we'd be feeling much better.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:30 pm
  • Siouxhawk wrote:Garbage post. Disguising facts as opinions doesn't warrant much credibility. Aside from some pretty big injuries, the Hawks are fine as a whole and the system produces a Super Bowl contender each and every year.

    Garbage reply. Confusing having an opinion with thinking it's worth reading doesn't warrant much credibility.

    adeltaY wrote:"Fact that applies to my state of mind" is just an opinion though LOL.

    I know. I thought it sounded more interesting than "my strong opinion," lol.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30063
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:37 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:Garbage post. Disguising facts as opinions doesn't warrant much credibility. Aside from some pretty big injuries, the Hawks are fine as a whole and the system produces a Super Bowl contender each and every year.

    Garbage reply. Confusing having an opinion with thinking it's worth reading doesn't warrant much credibility.

    adeltaY wrote:"Fact that applies to my state of mind" is just an opinion though LOL.

    I know. I thought it sounded more interesting than "my strong opinion," lol.


    I tip my cap it was funny haha
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3281
    Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:22 pm
    Location: Portland, OR


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 pm
  • Good points across the board, Roland.

    The problem is there is no fixing it because Pete's belief system is about loyalty.

    As the Patriots have proved for the last 20 years... the ONLY player you can be loyal to is the Franchise Quarterback. If you're loyal to anyone else you will end up with old injury prone players at an inflated salary, coaches that were hot at one time, but are now burned out and can't function at the top end of the game, and you find yourself in perpetual limbo where you are barely good enough to make the playoffs every year - and then get washed out by the "hot teams" that you have no chance of competing with... like, as someone mentioned above, the Steelers, and also the Packers of the last 5 to 6 years.

    Patriots took heavy heat for "disloyalty" -- think about those "elite" players they cut bait on right as they were starting to get a little long in the tooth -- Laywer Milloy, Curtis Martin, Troy Brown, Terry Glenn, Richard Seymore, Randy Moss, Vince Woolfork -- all of them had the carpet just yanked from them, and all of them were upset and complained about lack of loyalty.

    That "lack of loyalty" may mean something for fan and player emotions, but emotions don't win championships -- good coaching, cap management, good talent evaluation, tons of draft picks, and ruthless, ballsy decision making win championships.

    It resulted in 7 Superbowl appearances and 5 wins.

    In a perfect world Pete's system would work. Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world.
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1982
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:30 am
  • The Hawks can beat any team in the NFL. They also can lose to any team.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    User avatar
    Seafan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5886
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:30 pm
    Location: Helotes, TX


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:Good points across the board, Roland.

    The problem is there is no fixing it because Pete's belief system is about loyalty.

    As the Patriots have proved for the last 20 years... the ONLY player you can be loyal to is the Franchise Quarterback. If you're loyal to anyone else you will end up with old injury prone players at an inflated salary, coaches that were hot at one time, but are now burned out and can't function at the top end of the game, and you find yourself in perpetual limbo where you are barely good enough to make the playoffs every year - and then get washed out by the "hot teams" that you have no chance of competing with... like, as someone mentioned above, the Steelers, and also the Packers of the last 5 to 6 years.

    Patriots took heavy heat for "disloyalty" -- think about those "elite" players they cut bait on right as they were starting to get a little long in the tooth -- Laywer Milloy, Curtis Martin, Troy Brown, Terry Glenn, Richard Seymore, Randy Moss, Vince Woolfork -- all of them had the carpet just yanked from them, and all of them were upset and complained about lack of loyalty.

    That "lack of loyalty" may mean something for fan and player emotions, but emotions don't win championships -- good coaching, cap management, good talent evaluation, tons of draft picks, and ruthless, ballsy decision making win championships.

    It resulted in 7 Superbowl appearances and 5 wins.

    In a perfect world Pete's system would work. Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world.


    Good points as well.
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5075
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:15 am
  • I have to agree with Bevells biggest fan. You can't just say fact and then state a bunch of opinions. Do you also overuse the word "literally"?
    Seahawks4eva
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 68
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:12 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:50 am
  • And he's full of beans for putting a bow on this season already. I still think we'll be the 3 or 4 seed in the playoffs and taking down the Vikings or Eagles on the road doesn't really worry me much. We will be prepared.
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3776
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 am
  • Fact Seattle doesn't have enough talent around Wilson on Offense we might not even make the playoffs this year. Seattle needs to find a really good RB another WR at least as good as DB and more help on the O-line. We might have the RB position covered with Davis and Carson . We also need to get better on the DL . I think the secondary is still good same with LB. The bottom line is this to many 3 and outs to many halfs with 3 points or less. . Everyone has there opinion some think just changing the OC is all we need to do i'm not in that camp at all, we don't have the talent needed on offense. Lynch covered up a lot of weaknesses that have gotten worse and guys like PR and Tyler Lockett aren't the answer to our problems on offense.
    Last edited by Northwest Seahawk on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1102
    Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:58 am
  • And Sioux/BFS/Leaf goes on to prove iRo’s point without realizing it, LOL. Go figure!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

    I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 24175
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:02 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:And Sioux/BFS/Leaf goes on to prove iRo’s point without realizing it, LOL. Go figure!

    Actually, if you look at track records for accuracy, he eats my dust. And so do you.
    User avatar
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3776
    Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:46 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:53 am
  • TLDNR LOL

    FACT: My butt hurts!!!!
    User avatar
    Slick
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1113
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:52 am
    Location: Woodinville, WA


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 am
  • Siouxhawk wrote:We will be prepared.


    This is where you lose a bit of credibility Sioux. We just have not been consistently prepared to win games over the last 3 years. The roller coaster of the last 3 weeks is a perfect example. Really, this whole season has been. No need to protect the staff.

    The team seems to have multiple personalities and game plans that fluctuate to whatever mood the coaching staff is in. They have been down, sometimes big, in multiple games this year. Yes, they have come back to win some. Yes, they have come back to make some close losses. But that does not signal "preparedness"

    The players seem willing and capable. Not sure the staff is on their level at the moment. Emotions are high. It could go either way from here out.

    I hope for the best, waiting for the worst.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13962
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:10 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Siouxhawk wrote:We will be prepared.


    This is where you lose a bit of credibility Sioux. We just have not been consistently prepared to win games over the last 3 years. The roller coaster of the last 3 weeks is a perfect example. Really, this whole season has been. No need to protect the staff.

    The team seems to have multiple personalities and game plans that fluctuate to whatever mood the coaching staff is in. They have been down, sometimes big, in multiple games this year. Yes, they have come back to win some. Yes, they have come back to make some close losses. But that does not signal "preparedness"

    The players seem willing and capable. Not sure the staff is on their level at the moment. Emotions are high. It could go either way from here out.

    I hope for the best, waiting for the worst.


    I don't know about all that.... What I'm hoping for is Lacy moving to FB if nothing else, to hit Donald as hard has humanly possible over, and over and over.
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2743
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:59 am
  • Fact: This team is a Walsh FG away from one...I repeat one....playoff win ( over the Lions lol) in three plus seasons. That's simple inexcusable. Paul Allen is likely getting a little annoyed....
    Hawker8989
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 89
    Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 am
  • This here’s Seahawk country and eef yew don’t like it yew can GET OUT
    User avatar
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3285
    Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:53 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:09 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Fact: This team has been slowly trending downward overall since we lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots. This has been visible the whole time if you care to accurately evaluate the product you see on the field.


    Question about this "Fact": If they've been trending down since the SB loss, why isn't it showing up in their record?

    Since then they've gone 10-6, 11-5-1, and are on pace to probably go 10-6 or 11-5 again.

    They're below the highs of those SB years (which is true for practically EVERY Super Bowl team), but they seem to be holding much more steady than most, rather than trending down (as most teams do after SB runs).
    User avatar
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4951
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:58 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:16 am

Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 am
  • Siouxhawk wrote:And he's full of beans for putting a bow on this season already. I still think we'll be the 3 or 4 seed in the playoffs and taking down the Vikings or Eagles on the road doesn't really worry me much. We will be prepared.


    You Sir are out of your mind. IF we make the playoffs we are one and done at best. No way this team, in it's current state, goes on the road in the playoffs and wins.. Not gonna happen. Too many really good teams in the NFC this year..
    User avatar
    Sign37now
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 681
    Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:49 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 am
  • To each his/her own. They are playing for the Division lead on Sunday. Far from over, but they likely need to run the table. The injuries are catching up for sure. But, this crap isn't over by any stretch.
    I choose to believe, but even I know the injuries are really starting to make a huge difference.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10871
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:26 am
  • I tend to mostly agree with the "doom and gloom" crowd. The Seahawks window of always winning games in which they are favored is definitely closed. So is the window of being 50% more talented than the team across from them, and the window of easily getting a playoff bye.

    Where I disagree is that I am more pessimistic about the ability to sustain NFL success in the first place. Those windows never existed in the first place, or in the case of the talent gap they only existed for a very short period of time and only against teams that didn't have their own rookie talent. The posters that view an 8-5 record with as many injuries as we have as a huge train wreck are actually the insanely optimistic ones. They believe in fantasies about the better team always winning and destiny leading teams to Super Bowls.

    The cold hard reality is that there is no such thing as destiny, most teams have a similar level of talent due to the salary cap, any team that makes the playoffs can win the championship, and key injuries or the lack thereof is the most important story line in every NFL season. The 2013 Seahawks were really good but if you replay that season 100 times we probably win it 20 times at most. The reason why it seems like there's new NFC teams we are contending with every year is because parity and injuries provide a field of misery and despair that sinks good teams left and right.
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3569
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 am
  • They are not going to rebuild, they will reload. Even if Sherm is the only one coming back, and Kam and Avril both retire, they still have Sherm/Shaq/Earl and hopefully they resign McDougald. That's a pretty damn good secondary.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10871
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:54 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote: I had more fun watching the Seahawks in Pete Carroll's second season here where we still went 7-9 and missed the playoffs, but the overall improvement in the product on the field was palpable and exciting, and we just KNEW things were only getting better.


    When you die and go to heaven, your reward will be to watch repeats of Seahawks 2011 games. Specifically getting shut out by the Steelers and losing 3-6 to the Browns.

    That season had some real fun games in it, but some real stinkers that are as bad as any Seahawks game I can EVER remember.

    This year's game against the Texans might be one of the most entertaining games of football I ever seen, and even in the losses to the Titans, Falcons and Jaguars, I have seen such amazing 4th quarter heroics from the team this year - from both the defense and Wilson - that I've been able to believe that we could win every single game we've been in. That's not borne out of optimism, it's borne out of the same factors that saw a team that was 27-10 down with less than a quarter to go throw it's two longest TD passes of the year, then pull out a three and out at a crucial time to give us the ball back with 2m30 left,two timeouts and an opportunity to drive down the field and score to take the lead.

    Were you really watching the game at that point thinking "there's no way we're going to score here", after watching us do exactly that twice already in the quarter and countless times during the season? Fact is that we've had the ball in the 4th quarter with an opportunity to win or tie it in every single loss so far this season. Can any other team say that? The Vikings, Eagles and Patriots certainly can't.

    How is that not fun to watch?
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3403
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:Fact: This team has been slowly trending downward overall since we lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots. This has been visible the whole time if you care to accurately evaluate the product you see on the field.


    Question about this "Fact": If they've been trending down since the SB loss, why isn't it showing up in their record?

    Since then they've gone 10-6, 11-5-1, and are on pace to probably go 10-6 or 11-5 again.

    They're below the highs of those SB years (which is true for practically EVERY Super Bowl team), but they seem to be holding much more steady than most, rather than trending down (as most teams do after SB runs).


    Is that not "trending down" from 13-3 and 12-4? Perhaps its folly to expect that level of play to be maintained. But the OP is not off in his assertions. There is also an inference to "level of play" not specific to record. Someone else would have to look that up (D seemed to be maintaining an elite level)

    How you process the "decline" is up to the independent fan.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13962
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 am
  • themunn wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote: I had more fun watching the Seahawks in Pete Carroll's second season here where we still went 7-9 and missed the playoffs, but the overall improvement in the product on the field was palpable and exciting, and we just KNEW things were only getting better.


    ... Fact is that we've had the ball in the 4th quarter with an opportunity to win or tie it in every single loss so far this season. Can any other team say that? The Vikings, Eagles and Patriots certainly can't.

    How is that not fun to watch?


    So, what your saying is, we are 5 time losers. Why are we still watching this catastrophe?! :3-1: :snack:
    Sgt Largent
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 am
  • Exactly, we clearly should just pack it up and go home :lol:
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10871
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:41 am
  • It's not black and white. Just because some of us look at specifics to identify the root causes for losses doesn't mean we think it's time to "pack it up and go home". I personally just hate seeing a ton of talent wasted. I have had more fun watching Russ straight up will wins than any other QB in Seahawks history. Dude is pretty damn clutch. Baldwin comes up with some catches in pivotal comebacks that get me dancing in my living room.

    Then you have the mind boggling run playcalls like 3rd and 10, give Lacy the ball to run straight into a wall of defenders stuff. Just because some of us point out our weaknesses doesn't me we are throwing in the towel. When you need 4 yards for a first down in the 4th, don't get cute and send three receivers on deep field speed routes for jump balls.

    Frustration does not equal surrender.
    User avatar
    johnnyfever
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1142
    Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:38 pm
    Location: Spokane


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:47 am
  • Window for this core of players is shut. Its OK to admit that. It doesn't mean wr can't reload around Russ and earl.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1711
    Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:08 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 am
  • And there is no proof that they will somehow become a crap team in the near future. They will be able to keep this rolling for awhile.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10871
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:31 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:Good points across the board, Roland.

    The problem is there is no fixing it because Pete's belief system is about loyalty.

    As the Patriots have proved for the last 20 years... the ONLY player you can be loyal to is the Franchise Quarterback. If you're loyal to anyone else you will end up with old injury prone players at an inflated salary, coaches that were hot at one time, but are now burned out and can't function at the top end of the game, and you find yourself in perpetual limbo where you are barely good enough to make the playoffs every year - and then get washed out by the "hot teams" that you have no chance of competing with... like, as someone mentioned above, the Steelers, and also the Packers of the last 5 to 6 years.

    Patriots took heavy heat for "disloyalty" -- think about those "elite" players they cut bait on right as they were starting to get a little long in the tooth -- Laywer Milloy, Curtis Martin, Troy Brown, Terry Glenn, Richard Seymore, Randy Moss, Vince Woolfork -- all of them had the carpet just yanked from them, and all of them were upset and complained about lack of loyalty.

    That "lack of loyalty" may mean something for fan and player emotions, but emotions don't win championships -- good coaching, cap management, good talent evaluation, tons of draft picks, and ruthless, ballsy decision making win championships.

    It resulted in 7 Superbowl appearances and 5 wins.

    In a perfect world Pete's system would work. Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world.


    So wait, what?, you're saying that LOYALTY is a problem, and that Pete should have cut bait with a couple of injury riddled Legion Of Boomers BEFORE the second Super Bowl appearance?...Because it was in FACT, injuries to our Defense, and the LOB players in particular, that cost us the second Lombardi.
    LOL, it sounds like deep down, you are a "LOYAL" Patriots fan.
    I'm a fan of the man that got us our first Super Bowl, and in contention for the second.
    As far as the OP, I don't need to be instructed on how to deal with MY fandom, I can make mistakes all by myself just fine. :smilingalien:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6613
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:54 am
  • Your post starts with an ad hominem attack on all other posters on this forum, states a list of opinions with "FACT" in front of them to try to add credence to your opinions, and finishes by saying that everyone who disagrees can take their opinion and "shove it where the sun don't shine." This kind of post is exactly what's wrong with discourse in this day and age. It's more about shouting down other peoples opinion and discrediting them because you're a better, smarter fan than they are. This is no longer a discussion, and, to be quite honest, this particular thread belongs in the shack so everyone can attack everyone else without the guise of calling it Seahawks related.

    I think it's time for me to deactivate my account. Even people who used to be solid posters have reverted to kindergarten mudslinging and I don't have the time and energy to deal with this from fans of my own team. Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    jdemps
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 846
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:11 pm
    Location: SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of Hawk homerism


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 am
  • hominem, that stuff is gross :lol:
    Oh wait, is that Hominy?
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10871
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 am
  • hawknation2017 wrote:Terrible, disgusting injuries.

    Yet, we still have a chance to win the division without needing anyone else to lose. Just win the games in front of us, and we're in.

    It's going to be tough, but I would rather be optimistic about competing with what we've got. And critical about what I hope will change (*cough*new play caller*cough*).

    We already got a legit LT, which is something I have wanted for a long time and will pay dividends in the coming games and seasons. Also a very good backup safety in Bradley McDougald, which was missing last year at this time.


    Injuries will play a major role in how this season turns out. And the "Non-Naive" will use that as justification for their opinions.

    Next week would be a tough game at full strength. Looks like KJ has a good shot at getting back, but Bobby is a game day decision. And even if he makes it he won't likely be full strength. We saw what happened when those two went out last week. We are going to need some good fortune to win against the Rams.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2121
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 am
  • Should be a hell of a game. Injuries are a part of this, it's not about making excuses, it's the way it is. But, 8-5 and a shot at taking the lead in the division, I'll take it considering what they have been working with.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10871
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 am
  • Unless someone is reporting an actual FACT that can be confirmed by official team sources all ANYONE is doing in this forum is offering OPINION.

    You know, like buttholes...We all got 'em and none smell any better or worse than the next.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12963
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 am
  • StoneCold wrote:
    hawknation2017 wrote:Terrible, disgusting injuries.

    Yet, we still have a chance to win the division without needing anyone else to lose. Just win the games in front of us, and we're in.

    It's going to be tough, but I would rather be optimistic about competing with what we've got. And critical about what I hope will change (*cough*new play caller*cough*).

    We already got a legit LT, which is something I have wanted for a long time and will pay dividends in the coming games and seasons. Also a very good backup safety in Bradley McDougald, which was missing last year at this time.


    Injuries will play a major role in how this season turns out. And the "Non-Naive" will use that as justification for their opinions.

    Next week would be a tough game at full strength. Looks like KJ has a good shot at getting back, but Bobby is a game day decision. And even if he makes it he won't likely be full strength. We saw what happened when those two went out last week. We are going to need some good fortune to win against the Rams.


    I wouldn't expect Wagner back for this game. I think Wright plays Mike and Wilhoite plays Sam. Wilhoite looked really out of place (and unpracticed) at Mike in the last game.
    User avatar
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1812
    Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:44 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:37 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:hominem, that stuff is gross :lol:
    Oh wait, is that Hominy?


    I'm on board. +100
    Sgt Largent
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 am
  • Aros wrote:Unless someone is reporting an actual FACT that can be confirmed by official team sources all ANYONE is doing in this forum is offering OPINION.

    You know, like buttholes...We all got 'em and none smell any better or worse than the next.


    I disagree. Some of us do a much better job of washing than others. I'm not admitting to which camp I fall into. :180670:
    Sgt Largent
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 271
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:39 pm


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:59 pm
  • This post is dense with Roland explaining where he got his Seahawks fan card but I love seeing Sioux's jimmies russled. :P
    Image
    Exciting football again!?
    User avatar
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4373
    Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm
    Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Myrtle Beach Hawk, Go Gators!


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:01 pm
  • Sgt Largent wrote:
    Aros wrote:Unless someone is reporting an actual FACT that can be confirmed by official team sources all ANYONE is doing in this forum is offering OPINION.

    You know, like buttholes...We all got 'em and none smell any better or worse than the next.


    I disagree. Some of us do a much better job of washing than others. I'm not admitting to which camp I fall into. :180670:


    At least with the other Sgt. Lrgent we know cuz dude walks around with his pants down.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

    SC
    User avatar
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2121
    Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:29 am


Re: To the doomers and the optimists:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:30 pm
  • 2010 7-9
    2011 7-9
    2012 11-5
    2013 13-3
    2014 12-4
    2015 10-6
    2016 10-5-1
    2017 8-5

    Plot these numbers on a graph and tell me there is no downward trend.

    It is a slow decline but a decline nonetheless. Injuries this year have definitely hurt the hawks but I think the rest of the league has caught up with the team and our inability to adapt will continue this trend regardless of injuries.

    If you are happy with making the playoffs and going one and done, good for you. This team will make you extremely happy.

    If you are unhappy with making the playoffs and going one and done, good for you. This team will make you extremely unhappy.
    Bevell's Bubble Busted
    User avatar
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1248
    Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 pm
    Location: davenport


Next


It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information