Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

This play was infurating

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
This play was infurating
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:05 pm
  • Others have brought this up, and this picture illustrates it perfectly. When I was watching the game, before the snap, I knew what route Lockett should've run based on the alignment and was expecting it to be an easy conversion. It wasn't.

1. Based on the alignment of the corner, who is playing TEN YARDS off the LoS, the route should be either a hitch or a quick out

2. It doesn't matter if the LB's zone drop is to the offensive right to cover the flat, there is NO WAY he is sniffing that throwing lane if it's a quick strike. The corner could sprint straight at Lockett at the snap and still have no chance of stopping it.

3. There is almost no chance of a sack. The ball would be out as soon as Russ hits his back foot.

4. Even if it wasn't designed so, why the hell did the QB not audible? It's just obvious, there's no way around it.

This is a game changing mistake. I hope they hold Russ accountable for this or dammit get him some better QB coaching. IDK if he believes too much in the playcall or what, but this is an easy pre-snap read. Seriously, a Madden player can figure this out. We can't have our best players and coaches failing us when we have almost zero margin for error due to a cascade of defensive injuries and our pass rush evaporates like a puddle of piss on a 110 degree day.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Re: This play was infurating
Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:13 pm
  • Yeah, I don't understand why QBs ignore easy completions like this. It happens all the time.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 pm
  • Play off like that with Brady or Rodgers and they will flip it out there before you can blink. Presnap reads don't seem to translate to audibles as quickly in the Seahawks system.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:46 pm
  • I saw that too during the game, I was hoping Lockett would stay put and Russell would have passed it. it's a guaranteed 1st down and possible more if he can shake the CB.

I thought for sure that was going to happen, only for us to take a sack.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm
  • This has always be a gripe of my about Russ, I have no doubt he sees this he just need to change Locketts route and it a easy first down. Not sure why he doesnt change more plays at the line but a guy as smart as he is and who puts in as much time in the film room as he does you'd think he'd be changing play more then anyone in the league.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Others have brought this up, and this picture illustrates it perfectly. When I was watching the game, before the snap, I knew what route Lockett should've run based on the alignment and was expecting it to be an easy conversion. It wasn't.

1. Based on the alignment of the corner, who is playing TEN YARDS off the LoS, the route should be either a hitch or a quick out

2. It doesn't matter if the LB's zone drop is to the offensive right to cover the flat, there is NO WAY he is sniffing that throwing lane if it's a quick strike. The corner could sprint straight at Lockett at the snap and still have no chance of stopping it.

3. There is almost no chance of a sack. The ball would be out as soon as Russ hits his back foot.

4. Even if it wasn't designed so, why the hell did the QB not audible? It's just obvious, there's no way around it.

This is a game changing mistake. I hope they hold Russ accountable for this or dammit get him some better QB coaching. IDK if he believes too much in the playcall or what, but this is an easy pre-snap read. Seriously, a Madden player can figure this out. We can't have our best players and coaches failing us when we have almost zero margin for error due to a cascade of defensive injuries and our pass rush evaporates like a puddle of piss on a 110 degree day.

My bad wrong play in this case if you actually review the video he had no time and a TE running an out route right in the way
    Last edited by Anthony! on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:58 pm
  • I hate seeing this pic. Wow. So so so dumb for them to take the sack here. Wow. On the verge of one of the greatest comebacks in franchise history and can't pick up a yard right here........just. wow
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:03 pm
  • Anthony! wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Others have brought this up, and this picture illustrates it perfectly. When I was watching the game, before the snap, I knew what route Lockett should've run based on the alignment and was expecting it to be an easy conversion. It wasn't.

well maybe because if the defender does not pull Richardson down it is an even easier completion and maybe a TD as well.

Wrong play
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:05 pm
  • getnasty wrote:This has always be a gripe of my about Russ, I have no doubt he sees this he just need to change Locketts route and it a easy first down. Not sure why he doesnt change more plays at the line but a guy as smart as he is and who puts in as much time in the film room as he does you'd think he'd be changing play more then anyone in the league.

your assuming he is allowed to, =also if you look at the actual video you would know that the TE ran an out route that would have taken him right in front of the play, by the time he cleared Wilson was sacked in fact the person who sacked Wilson was on him in under 2 seconds
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:08 pm
  • Crizilla wrote:I hate seeing this pic. Wow. So so so dumb for them to take the sack here. Wow. On the verge of one of the greatest comebacks in franchise history and can't pick up a yard right here........just. wow

well, to be honest, he had almost no time to throw it any place. I am watching the replay Rw gets the ball looks up and there is the defender
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:08 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Others have brought this up, and this picture illustrates it perfectly. When I was watching the game, before the snap, I knew what route Lockett should've run based on the alignment and was expecting it to be an easy conversion. It wasn't.

well maybe because if the defender does not pull Richardson down it is an even easier completion and maybe a TD as well.

Wrong play

yeah I figures that out and changed my post, thanks
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:40 pm
  • Anthony! wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:I hate seeing this pic. Wow. So so so dumb for them to take the sack here. Wow. On the verge of one of the greatest comebacks in franchise history and can't pick up a yard right here........just. wow

well, to be honest, he had almost no time to throw it any place. I am watching the replay Rw gets the ball looks up and there is the defender

I guess the only play there was a sack then, we did the best we could.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 pm
  • If only there was such a thing as an audible to keep the tight end from being in that space and allow a quick throw.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 pm
  • homerun1970 wrote:If only there was such a thing as an audible to keep the tight end from being in that space and allow a quick throw.

Even if it was possible to change 2 passing routes before the snap which im sure has never been done in the history of the NFL, Ifedi would have been in the way as he dropped to pass protect.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm
  • getnasty wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:
    Crizilla wrote:I hate seeing this pic. Wow. So so so dumb for them to take the sack here. Wow. On the verge of one of the greatest comebacks in franchise history and can't pick up a yard right here........just. wow

I guess the only play there was a sack then, we did the best we could.

well better blocking might have helped!!
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 pm
  • homerun1970 wrote:If only there was such a thing as an audible to keep the tight end from being in that space and allow a quick throw.

look at the play live you will see there was no time
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 pm
  • I didn't get the game in my area so you may be right. There has been countless plays though where a WR and a QB will throw a signal and the ball is coming out as soon as he hits his back foot. I would just like to see the offense take what is easily available at times, just frustration.
    homerun1970
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 pm
  • Smh, I watched the play and he had about 2.5 seconds before he was sacked. NOT good protection by any means, but if it was a timing play, he would've easily got it out. Lockett has a TON of space to the right sideline because they're on the left hash. He could literally have stood there and caught a screen and got the first with no issue of the TE getting in the way. If not that, run a hitch or short curl.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 pm
  • God dammit, Ifedi got flagged on this play so it wouldn't have mattered. Point still stands on the audible IMO. We can debate it and I'm not trying to lay the blame squarely on Russ. I think it's a coaching problem if I had to choose. Ifedi just pissing me off even after the damn game.

Also, just watched the Baldy breakdown vid where he looked at five plays that helped the Jags win. Russ' read was to his left on this play and they ran a switch route to beat man coverage, but it was zone. Doug mentioned at the end of the game that they expected the Jags to play more man but they played zone. Why the hell didn't we run more motion then?? ATL did this to fantastic effect last year. It lets the offense know if the defense is in man or zone and the QB can adjust his read accordingly. This is squarely on the coaching staff!
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:46 pm
  • As smart as Wilson looks and sounds, he is NOT!
    northseahawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:52 pm
  • If Wilson, in his 6th year, is still not allowed to change routes, particularly in a 2 min drill/desperation mode then there are more problems than we're even aware of.

A bubble, 5 yard curl, slant or out route gets it done there.
    West TX Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 pm
  • Don't criticize the MVP. He's the only one keeping Bevell employed.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:58 am
  • Its plays like this that might keep RW from becoming a true elite QB. He just stares down Baldwin until he gets sacked.
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 am
  • northseahawk wrote:As smart as Wilson looks and sounds, he is NOT!

Strong post.
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 am
  • IrishNW wrote:Its plays like this that might keep RW from becoming a true elite QB. He just stares down Baldwin until he gets sacked.

Maybe he’s too coachable and a certain OC told him to stand in the pocket more....
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:44 am
  • Or maybe he wins nearly 70% of the time and is on a Hall of Fame pace, true accolades in which his offensive coordinator has been a major influence and deserves to be credited.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 am
  • There's Siouxhawk and his Bevell support. Some things can always be counted on. :greetingsearthling:
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:04 am
  • Yep. Death, taxes and the Seahawks always being a Super Bowl contender.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 am
  • northseahawk wrote:As smart as Wilson looks and sounds, he is NOT!

There it is. Hot take!
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:08 am
  • Siouxhawk wrote:Yep. Death, taxes and the Seahawks always being a Super Bowl contender.

You're not wrong actually. If the NFC South eats itself and the Eagles loose 2 of the next 3 and Seattle manages to win out, we would be the #2 seed.
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 am
  • Yep, QB's miss this type of thing all the time, including Russ. Makes absolutely no sense. Also, why the hell couldn't they just call a run play and get one yard or roll him out? They had plenty of time left.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm
  • Honestly, Idk what pisses me off more. Baldwin not getting the first down or this ridiculously easy conversion. The cornerback was NOT playing press coverage, ridiculous

To be honest with you, I think this is just another example of the Seahawks outsmarting themselves. They probably got over confident about being able to convert, thought maybe they'd still test the defense deep. It's just infuriating. We could have won this game even with all the mistakes. Yea we win most games but it's mind blowing how we lose sometimes

In the Titans game blown coverages and failed adjustments

In the Redskins game missed field goals and not spiking the ball to stop the clock

In the Falcons game missed field goals, early miscues

And now in this game, boneheaded mistakes. We really, truly do beat ourselves. Only the Packers loss this year seems legit at this point
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:09 pm
  • I'm with Scorpion, as good as the team has been at climbing back from deficits, we've failed on critical comeback drives as often as we've succeeded. In these huge moments, our coaches and best players have let us down when we needed them the most. Also, our kicker sucks.

If we look just at the closing moments of all our losses, regardless of what went on before (blown coverages, picks, missed kicks, etc), it comes down to:

Green Bay: Defense lets Rodgers lead a 6+ minute drive to kill the clock when if we got the ball back we were down one score. Could have conceivably come back to tie, but it was unlikely.

Tennessee: Offense turns it over on downs mid-way through the fourth and the Titans run off enough clock to force us to an onside kick and we lose. Could have won, but we got punched in the mouth at full strength. It was really hot.

Washington: Defense blows it to allow a late TD. Russell Wilson takes a huge sack and has to throw a hail mary to have any shot. Could easily have won in the waning moments despite the disaster of a game that preceded them.

Atlanta: Awful clock management by Pete early in the game combines with bad clock decisions by Russ and of course Walsh misses the game-tying FG.

Jacksonville: The offensive series above combined with the defense letting the Jags pick up a 3rd and 11 on the ground. Could have won this game.

We had great shots to win three of those games and could have done it in the first two. Hurts, but great to see the team in every game. Now, conversely, we could have lost in some of our wins.

Houston: BoB goes conservative and we stop them on three straight runs to give Russ the ball back after he threw a devastating pick.

LA: Cooper Cupp commits a tough drop that would've given the Rams a one point lead.

Niners: miracle TD by Russ to win it by three points

Cards: the double pirouette by Russ to Doug to setup the TD that puts the game out of reach for the Cards

Giants, Eagles, and Colts games weren't that close.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm
  • homerun1970 wrote:Play off like that with Brady or Rodgers and they will flip it out there before you can blink. Presnap reads don't seem to translate to audibles as quickly in the Seahawks system.

Probably because they don't get to the line with adequate time to audible. They spend 20 plus seconds with their hands on their hips just waiting for Bevell to get the play in.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Smh, I watched the play and he had about 2.5 seconds before he was sacked. NOT good protection by any means, but if it was a timing play, he would've easily got it out. Lockett has a TON of space to the right sideline because they're on the left hash. He could literally have stood there and caught a screen and got the first with no issue of the TE getting in the way. If not that, run a hitch or short curl.

well that is your opinion however as I stated the play Lockett was running he would have been open also if Rw had time, FYI it was not 2.5 seconds, I time dit try 1.9, What I find funny is the people here who are upset about the play not because the blocking sucked but because they "think" some other play "might" have worked. So basically not at what did happen but what might have.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:08 pm
  • West TX Hawk wrote:If Wilson, in his 6th year, is still not allowed to change routes, particularly in a 2 min drill/desperation mode then there are more problems than we're even aware of.

A bubble, 5 yard curl, slant or out route gets it done there.

OR the oline does its job and the play called works, if you look at it locket was open on the play called if the oline did its job. I think that is the problem with everyone instead of focusing on the fact the oline did not do there job, you want to focus on what might have been
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:09 pm
  • IrishNW wrote:Its plays like this that might keep RW from becoming a true elite QB. He just stares down Baldwin until he gets sacked.

you mean for the 1.9 seconds before he got hit, LOL okay whatever you say
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:12 pm
  • JustTheTip wrote:
    homerun1970 wrote:Play off like that with Brady or Rodgers and they will flip it out there before you can blink. Presnap reads don't seem to translate to audibles as quickly in the Seahawks system.

Probably because they don't get to the line with adequate time to audible. They spend 20 plus seconds with their hands on their hips just waiting for Bevell to get the play in.

Can you substantiate that with fact, please.
    Siouxhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:12 pm
  • JustTheTip wrote:
    homerun1970 wrote:Play off like that with Brady or Rodgers and they will flip it out there before you can blink. Presnap reads don't seem to translate to audibles as quickly in the Seahawks system.

BING BING BING we have a winner and yet again if the oline does its job it does its job it does not matter, And FYI we have also seen Rw do it, but again oline does its job and it does not matter easy FD
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 pm
  • Russ still has some room to grow as a QB. Specifically when it comes to pre-snap recognition and pocket presence.

That's a good thing though, right? He's playing at a top 5 level this season as it is, and as he gains some old man wisdom there's no reason he can't exceed even that. He wants to play for another decade at least and this is the stuff that will make that happen.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:46 pm
  • Anthony! wrote:
    IrishNW wrote:Its plays like this that might keep RW from becoming a true elite QB. He just stares down Baldwin until he gets sacked.

literally has nothing to do with it. All Wilson has to do is change Locketts route, snap the ball and throw it to him. He gets the first down easy.
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:53 pm
  • Probably just trying to avoid ramsey at all costs lol.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:40 am
  • IrishNW wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:
    IrishNW wrote:Its plays like this that might keep RW from becoming a true elite QB. He just stares down Baldwin until he gets sacked.

literally has nothing to do with it. All Wilson has to do is change Locketts route, snap the ball and throw it to him. He gets the first down easy.

So says you, since you really cant say for sure all we can say for a fact is the oline did not do its job. Now of course if you can 100% prove that would have worked maybe, but you cant be sure at all, you can only guess. All we do know is the Oline did not do its job on that play. But thanks for the fantasy
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:55 am
  • Anthony! wrote:
    IrishNW wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:

So says you, since you really cant say for sure all we can say for a fact is the oline did not do its job. Now of course if you can 100% prove that would have worked maybe, but you cant be sure at all, you can only guess. All we do know is the Oline did not do its job on that play. But thanks for the fantasy

Here I drew it up for you so you could understand it better. I tried to get as many details as possible but my drawing skills are a bit rusty.

https://imgur.com/a/aGcMH
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:58 am
  • I think some of you are really overthinking this. I think their endless optimism made them believe that they'd easily convert. And I think Russ knew that a savvy CB like Ramsey may transition into press coverage if he changes the play at the line.

If anything, Russ and his receivers need more subtle code language on the line. A tap on the right thigh, something that says "Do a hitch route instead." Brady does that but you all need to understand Brady has had chemistry with some of his receivers for a LONGGG time and he's had a very long relationship with McDaniels. Russ is still a young QB who may not have all the leeway yet
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:08 am
  • Would love to see some video of this play. From the alignment it sure looks like an easy first down. Any have access to it?
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 am
  • IrishNW wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:
    IrishNW wrote:
    Anthony! wrote:

Here I drew it up for you so you could understand it better. I tried to get as many details as possible but my drawing skills are a bit rusty.

https://imgur.com/a/aGcMH

Great except I understand what you are saying, however, I also understand audibling the play at the line also usually makes the defense change so there is no guarantee they would not have adjusted and taken that away, And again 'IF THE OLINE DOES ITS JOB" it does not matter. It amazes me people are not upset the oline failed but that we did not audible to a play that may not have even worked.

So to make is easier

You guys are not upset the oline failed but that we did not audible to a play that may not have worked. LOL stretch much
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:28 am
  • Scorpion05 wrote:I think some of you are really overthinking this. I think their endless optimism made them believe that they'd easily convert. And I think Russ knew that a savvy CB like Ramsey may transition into press coverage if he changes the play at the line.

If anything, Russ and his receivers need more subtle code language on the line. A tap on the right thigh, something that says "Do a hitch route instead." Brady does that but you all need to understand Brady has had chemistry with some of his receivers for a LONGGG time and he's had a very long relationship with McDaniels. Russ is still a young QB who may not have all the leeway yet

the point is if you watch the play is if the oline doe sits job Lockett is open going over the middle, Richardson may be open, and DB. But because the oline did not do its job it failed.

I mean the people upset about whether or not an audible would have worked while ignoring the fact the oline failed is laughable.
    Anthony!
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am
  • Dude, the OL was going to have plays like this against the best pass rush in the league. We get it, Malik Jackson, who earns around 15M a year as a top interior DL, beat the crap out of Pocic. That's why you take the quick throws to mitigate the pressure.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information