Offense Relying On Longball Success

timmat

Reaction score
It seems that once we are driving and in the midfield area, we abandon the 6 to 7 yd passing game and go boom or bust on the deep ball. We've had some success with it, but it's a pretty low percentage approach to go to it so much. And I don't mean 4th quarter shots downfield when we are behind and really have no choice. This part of the field is where the play calling is a head scratcher.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I don't get it either. The obvious answer is a combination of an unbalanced offense and as mentioned- it does work, sometimes.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
It's hard to say without being able to see the entire field, but I wonder how much is due to the routes of the play call or Russell forgoing anything thing short/intermediate to throw that deep ball. I suspect it's more play call than Russell most of the time but not always.

Anthony!

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":3frz9qhf said:
It's hard to say without being able to see the entire field, but I wonder how much is due to the routes of the play call or Russell forgoing anything thing short/intermediate to throw that deep ball. I suspect it's more play call than Russell most of the time but not always.

the announces said there were alot of time the nly routes run were go routes. On the 2 ints to Baldwin- the one in the endzone would have been a TD if he does not fal/get pulled dow. On the other one I would rewatch it and explain why Doug slowed down, then why he turned the wrong way. If he does nto slow dowb or turn the wrong way he gets the ball or gets pass interference. Combine these 2 with the running out of bounds shoort of the 1st down and Doug played bad.

sutz

Reaction score
timmat":1fsj7c0f said:
It seems that once we are driving and in the midfield area, we abandon the 6 to 7 yd passing game and go boom or bust on the deep ball. We've had some success with it, but it's a pretty low percentage approach to go to it so much. And I don't mean 4th quarter shots downfield when we are behind and really have no choice. This part of the field is where the play calling is a head scratcher.
I agree. It's frustrating when they're on 3rd and 8 and he tosses it 40 yards downfield. :34853_doh:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Announcers were saying yesterday that there just weren't a lot of underneath or mid options for Wilson - everything was deep. If that's true, this game joins the Tampa and Washington games as examples of - well, I don't know. But something. Because those games had this problem, too.

ducks41468

Reaction score
sutz":1jdb56mz said:
timmat":1jdb56mz said:
I agree. It's frustrating when they're on 3rd and 8 and he tosses it 40 yards downfield. :34853_doh:

That 3rd pick that Wilson gets so much criticism for was on 2nd and 17 and was intercepted at the 2 yard line. If he just throws two incomplete passes and Ryan punts it to the 2 we'd be thrilled. Of course the defense went and gave up a 7 minute scoring drive...

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This is a PC thing....PC loves explosive plays. He's so infatuated with the deep ball and it's now become focus of the offense. This is like a basketball team living off 3 pointers. When they're hot it's good but when they aren't it's really bad. It was really bad for about 3 quarters yesterday.

Ozzy

Reaction score
They have to have some intermediate concepts while still have some vertical options. Seattle runs almost all vertical concepts with no outlets. Bevell/Pete are dangerously close to running an offense on par with the Rams last year in it's elementary concepts and Sioux will tell me that's impossble but it's not and Pete has even admitted as much. They rely on their guys just beating the other guy and they are horrible at scheming wrs open.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
More evidence that this coaching staff has too much of a hangup with this:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/940238835182637056[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/939166767003394050[/tweet]

We didn't rely on the deep ball against the Eagles. We put a variety of passing options out there, relied on timing throws...and Russ took what was there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They were doing the same thing when Bates was OC too. This is Pete Carroll issue not just Bevell. I remember countless 3rd/4th and short where they were throwing it deep. PC loves these things and when it doesn't work it hurts the team. He wants a power game but likes everything that is exactly the opposite of a power game.

mrt144

Reaction score
It seems like this game combined with Washington show that neither Bevell or RW respects opposing DB units, at all.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Way too many long passes. Unless someone is one on one and open, enough of the throwing up for grabs crap.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I agree about the long passes. They must have seen something in film and got baited

That said, although it may not seem that way apparently Jalen Ramsey had his second worst game against us. Allowed more yards than usual

rossob

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1lbfhlph said:
I agree about the long passes. They must have seen something in film and got baited

That said, although it may not seem that way apparently Jalen Ramsey had his second worst game against us. Allowed more yards than usual
Probably due to the two long TD passes in the 4th.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Both had guys wide open, which is obviously the time to do it. I just feel like Russ is falling in love with the long pass in to coverage. He's better than that and we all know it, and he knows it. You don't have to get it all in one play. You can also chip away and take what the D is giving you. Which also helps keep that time of possession more even.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1ozhwt33 said:

I think it’s this more than anything about how they run their route trees.

If they see something in film that they feel gives them a opportunity to get chunk plays they install those plays in the game plan. When the defense lines up in this particular way, they run this particular route tree.

Conversely the defensive coaches do the same thing, and try to make the offense run plays they want by disguising their defenses.

Sometimes the offense wins, sometimes the defense wins, but chunk plays are always good whether they be run opportunities or pass.

hawk45

Reaction score
The jags inexplicably blew coverage after coverage late so there was something to the idea you could make them pay for aggressive scheme.

Pass pro held up well, looking long wouldn't have been so bad had russ not threw into tight or double coverage twice. The Graham pick he was baited into by a great play, the other two idk wtf he was looking at.
Towards the end of the game I began to shield my eyes whenever he looked long, but the outcome near the end was way better.

FidelisHawk

Reaction score
IDK
Perhaps they thought they could take advantage of their safeties with two or three deep WR’s or they felt their corners bite underneath (like Grahams INT).

Without knowing what the Hawks were trying to exploit it makes it hard to tell if they just underestimated their advantage or Jax changed their coverage.

Either way they did have some shots, that just didn’t work out, the Baldwin INT comes to mind off the top of my head.