Correct me if I'm wrong here, but...

sutz

Reaction score
It seems from all the commentary and analysis I'm hearing, Jax as a team has similarities to the Iggles.

1. Strong D

2. Good running game

3. Talented, but young QB

I get the feeling that the same game plan we used Sunday would work again. Get an early lead and let that young QB try and catch/keep up against our D. Now, I know that is kind of a universal NFL gameplan. And to be honest, our team is a lot like the Iggles and Jags, apart from the young QB part of course.

If we can pull off another good 1st quarter, this game could be in the bag. That late start we got gifted could be a big part of that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bortles is in his fourth year, so I wouldn't call him young.............and I wouldn't compare him to Wentz at all.

He's more like a poor man's Jay Cutler, strong arm but kinda dumb and prone to make mistakes and choke when it counts.

If I were to compare this Jags team, it's to us circa 2011-2012. Young, physical nasty defense with crazy deep D-line and ball control run game with physical RB in Fournette.

If the offense and Russell can limit the mistakes and penalties, this is a game we should win 17-10. If the offense goes back to their penalty and mistake prone ways? Then we might be in trouble.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
We will play heavy and tight in the box and make Borttles beat us with his arm. I think we will see a ton of single high man coverage tight and loose. I think Mcdougal will be living in the box on Sunday.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I think the Jags pass defense is WAY better than the Eagles.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Mojambo":2tjamz10 said:

Yup and their offense is nowhere near Phillies.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Jags defense is better than the Eagles but Wentz can actually win games for them. Anytime Bortles needs to go out there and win a game he throws 3 picks. Very slow release, gets lots of balls batted down at the line, makes really dumb throws. They've done a good job limiting his ability to lose games this year though.

Look for a lot of WR screens and passes near the LOS on third down. They rarely throw anything vertical or over 10 yards. Similar philosophy to Pete back in Russell's beginning - be content punting to win the field position game and trust the defense.

RussB

Reaction score
Jags defense is better than the eagles. Their QB is pretty bad though.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Are the Jags a better running team than the Eagles? Bobby Wagner was calmly confident we could stop their running game. If we can, we win. If we can put Bortles in a position where he has to try and win this, game over. I think Russell and the offense are clicking and will be surprised if we don't put up at least 24.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":3fg3uhys said:
Are the Jags a better running team than the Eagles? Bobby Wagner was calmly confident we could stop their running game. If we can, we win. If we can put Bortles in a position where he has to try and win this, game over. I think Russell and the offense are clicking and will be surprised if we don't put up at least 24.

Jags are #1 in the league in rushing, Eagles #3.

So yes, they're a better run team statistically. But our D RARELY gets gashed in the run game...............so I expect that we do what we always do, shut down the run and make Bortles one dimensional. Which we know he can't do.

IMO this game isn't going to be won/lost on the defensive side, it's the offensive side. Can Russell and the offense be clean and efficient to score 17-20 pts. If so, we got this, cause I honestly can't see the Jags offense doing much against the strength of our D, the front 7.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1v3t9xqy said:
Bortles is in his fourth year, so I wouldn't call him young.............and I wouldn't compare him to Wentz at all.

He's more like a poor man's Jay Cutler, strong arm but kinda dumb and prone to make mistakes and choke when it counts.

Cutler's brain yes, but he's no where near the arm strength. I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a few picks this week.

stizz19

Reaction score
Mojambo":3azrlaju said:

Is it just me or does pass defense (specifically DBs) against the Seahawks not really matter how good they are? Quite often when plays break down and Wilson is running around the back field for 10 seconds no matter who is in coverage they can't contain anyone and the original route being run ends up being completely different. Does that make any sense at all?

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":14sq4ky2 said:
It seems from all the commentary and analysis I'm hearing, Jax as a team has similarities to the Iggles.

1. Strong D

2. Good running game

3. Talented, but young QB

I get the feeling that the same game plan we used Sunday would work again. Get an early lead and let that young QB try and catch/keep up against our D. Now, I know that is kind of a universal NFL gameplan. And to be honest, our team is a lot like the Iggles and Jags, apart from the young QB part of course.

If we can pull off another good 1st quarter, this game could be in the bag. That late start we got gifted could be a big part of that.

Like others, I'd disagree with the assessment that the Jaguars offense (especially at qb) is anywhere near the level of the Eagles, but I do believe you are right in the fact that an early lead is huge in this game. My key to the game will be if we can establish Russell Wilson as a run threat early in the game like we did against the Eagles. We have been holding off on the read option in games until the 2 minute drills way too often for my tastes. I knew we were going to play a full 4 quarters when Wilson kept the ball and ran for a decent gain in the first quarter. This puts even the best defenses a man down. If Wilson doesn't show he can hurt them with his legs, then that puts more pressure on the offensive line. If we use this again in Jacksonville (successfully) we can come away with the W

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jax DL is the reason their secondary is so strong. Yes they have Ramsey and he's very good. However they have tons of talent upfront - Campbell, Malik Jackson, Dareus, Myles Jack, etc. They got 10 sacks in a game earlier. Jax have a better DL across the board than the Eagles do.

If I had to compare the defense- they are a lot like the 2015 Panthers defense - strong front 7 with Josh Norman at CB and nobody else in secondary. Same thing for the Jags - strong front 7 with Ramsey at CB and nobody else worth discussing in the secondary.

adeltaY

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1hgodobt said:
Jax DL is the reason their secondary is so strong. Yes they have Ramsey and he's very good. However they have tons of talent upfront - Campbell, Malik Jackson, Dareus, Myles Jack, etc. They got 10 sacks in a game earlier. Jax have a better DL across the board than the Eagles do.

If I had to compare the defense- they are a lot like the 2015 Panthers defense - strong front 7 with Josh Norman at CB and nobody else in secondary. Same thing for the Jags - strong front 7 with Ramsey at CB and nobody else worth discussing in the secondary.

Your last sentence is flat out wrong. AJ Bouye is a top 5 CB in the league and is #1 this year in passer rating allowed at 38 (39.6 is equivalent to spiking it?). If anything, the safeties are benefitting from everyone else but they've made plays and rarely get beat.

adeltaY

Reaction score
We can absolutely win this game. Just acknowledging that their defense is really good and that if we do win, it should be a huge confidence booster and a quality win.