Shead's back

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/938513360743628800[/tweet]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Who's getting waived or IR'd for him to be on the active roster? I guess they have an exemption for a bit before that happens. It may be time to part ways with Lacy or Rawls when the move is needed. Neither add anything aren't involved on ST.

jmahon316

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3vibcyoc said:
Who's getting waived or IR'd for him to be on the active roster? I guess they have an exemption for a bit before that happens. It may be time to part ways with Lacy or Rawls when the move is needed. Neither add anything aren't involved on ST.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Chancellor was reserving a spot on the 53 man roster for either Shead, Prosise, or Carson...Whoever was ready first.

kidhawk

Reaction score
jmahon316":2sqsntl5 said:
hawkfan68":2sqsntl5 said:

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Chancellor was reserving a spot on the 53 man roster for either Shead, Prosise, or Carson...Whoever was ready first.

This has been the suspicion. Since they didn't plan on signing anyone, there was no reason to IR Kam until they needed to. As for Shead, I believe we have some time until we have to activate him, so we may not make any moves just yet. If they plan to play him on Sunday, they have until Saturday to activate him. If they want to give him some time to get up to speed in practice (which I suspect they may do) then they may not make any moves just yet

sutz

Reaction score
IIRC there used to be a 3 week exemption for someone coming off PUP, so no rush on a roster move to cover him. But, yeah, Kam would be the obvious choice.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Now THAT is very welcome news indeed. We knew this was coming any day now ... but it's sure nice to see him officially off the PUP and practicing. Hopefully he can get back in there soon and help provide some needed depth insurance there at the DB position.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is good news and it helps reduce the concerns about experienced DB depth just in time for the playoffs.

adeltaY

Reaction score
That's great to hear! One of the best tacklers on the team and a solid cover guy. I'm sure someone will be about to complain about how he doesn't get his head turned around....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
adeltaY":34yyvau3 said:
That's great to hear! One of the best tacklers on the team and a solid cover guy. I'm sure someone will be about to complain about how he doesn't get his head turned around....
(Raises hand) That would be me. He doesn’t get his head turned and just blindly throws his hands up to defend the ball. That’s poor technique as you cannot intercept what you don’t see, and he’d have more passes defensed if he saw the ball.........but he adds to the depth and he does tackle well. So I guess from that perspective it’s good.

sutz

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1dnf5mu2 said:
adeltaY":1dnf5mu2 said:
(Raises hand) That would be me. He doesn’t get his head turned and just blindly throws his hands up to defend the ball. That’s poor technique as you cannot intercept what you don’t see, and he’d have more passes defensed if he saw the ball.........but he adds to the depth and he does tackle well. So I guess from that perspective it’s good.
Always good to see the dark cloud lurking behind that silver lining.

:twisted:

RussB

Reaction score
Liked his play last year. Hes like a safety playing corner. He can come in as the 4th CB for now then once he gets his feet wet can share the slot with coleman. Shaq and B max are holding it down on the outside so far.

Whats ever better should one of them go down we have alot of depth at CB now.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Allows us the flexibility to run some 4-2-5, especially with Kam out.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well we now have Safety and CB depth in one player with playoff experience and can play at a tougher level. Would not expect a lot right away may play Special teams till his legs are back.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
nwHawk":b5njctp0 said:
Allows us the flexibility to run some 4-2-5, especially with Kam out.

I know that Pete Carroll said this past week that "the Big Nickel is officially dead" (because of course, the one who WAS the "Big Nickel", McDougald, is now the current SS) ... but there is a piece of me that wonders whether or not Shead's addition would allow some of that 4-2-5 again. As others have said, Shead is a lot like Kam in a lot of ways -- he truly is like a Safety playing Corner. And in one guy, I would say that potentially gives them a lot of flexibility scheme-wise.

I posted this before, but it bears mentioning again ...

Shead 1024x576
Source:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...uld-be-sidelined-well-into-the-regular-season

His addition is an added shot of nitrous oxide into the engine of an already pretty good run defense. Personally, I'm excited to get him back, I really am. I can't wait to see him on the field again.

IrishNW

Reaction score
this is going to be huge. The secondary is the weakest part of the defense right now.

adeltaY

Reaction score
We play 4-2-5 on the majority of snaps already. Most teams play some variation nickel on most downs.

original poster

Reaction score
Saw it this morning, great stuff.

I wonder if/when he will get a starting role with the team.

No way they take snaps away from Shaq, Coleman is playing pretty well in the slot so that leaves Maxwell on the outside, I suspect Maxwell continues as the starter this week then depending on how he looks, Shead will come in and start over Maxwell in the coming weeks. Hope it works out! Having either Shead or Maxwell as the primary backup over Lane fills me with confidence, I cringe every time I see that number 20 jersey on anything other than ST's.