Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Why did we waive Freeney?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Why did we waive Freeney?
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 pm
  • Just curious as to why we waived Freeney? We throwing the white flag early or?
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Re: Why did we waive Freeney?
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 pm
  • They were talking about a roster move for a running back or waiting to see if Marsh clears waivers because Marsh can contribute to special teams.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 pm
  • Marsh sucks...really bad...
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:27 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:They were talking about a roster move for a running back or waiting to see if Marsh clears waivers because Marsh can contribute to special teams.

If there is any truth to this I would rather Paul Allen just tell Pete to clean out now.

You release a productive veteran DE and bring in Marsh? Makes no sense I'm guessing it more has to do with the RB situation but still it's weird timing.

Pete is an odd dude, some of things he does are just strange.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm
  • Only brought a winning team, and culture to the Seahawks. Broke records, brought us a Super Bowl. Your right he is the idiot and you should head the team. Just stop posting makes you look smarter.
    GO HAWKS
    425HawkSpark
    NET Veteran

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:04 pm
  • Mcdowell or shead are coming back soon. They also might pick up jalen collins.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 am
  • 425HawkSpark wrote:Only brought a winning team, and culture to the Seahawks. Broke records, brought us a Super Bowl. Your right he is the idiot and you should head the team. Just stop posting makes you look smarter.

I love him for it and thank him. But his time is up. Much like USC, he hasn't adapted with the league and is now not the smartest person in the room. His arrogance has always led to his demise. Would much rather restart with a new coach now rather than later.
    FIRE PETE CARROLL!!!!
    Jim Harbaugh to Seattle 2018!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:08 am
  • 425HawkSpark wrote:Only brought a winning team, and culture to the Seahawks. Broke records, brought us a Super Bowl. Your right he is the idiot and you should head the team. Just stop posting makes you look smarter.

The counter point to that is, the Seahawks have been getting worse every year since our last Super Bowl, and under performing given our talent level. There is a good reason why the NFL is sometimes called the "not for long league'. Carroll is a great motivator, and mentor. He knows how to get the most out of players, and has a knack for finding players that others overlooked. That being said he had trouble managing his players during his previous stints. Our players either look frustrated, or indifferent right now. I'm getting the same vibe I got from the Mora era team. We're obviously much better, and Carroll is the better coach, but the players are giving off that same vibe. We've had a lot of injuries, yes, but we have been woefully under-performing even when we had a healthy roster.

I think the main story here is Pete Carroll's nepotism. He refuses to adapt, and surrounds himself with inept coaches. Bevell, Cable, and Richard are all not performing up to par. I think what also really hurt us is the fact that we lost our enforcers on the coaching staff, those being Quinn, and Norton. Since those two have left the Seahawks have looked unfocused, and have been playing undisciplined football. Even simple, fundamentals such as tackling have been lacking lately.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:54 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    425HawkSpark wrote:Only brought a winning team, and culture to the Seahawks. Broke records, brought us a Super Bowl. Your right he is the idiot and you should head the team. Just stop posting makes you look smarter.

The counter point to that is, the Seahawks have been getting worse every year since our last Super Bowl, and under performing given our talent level. There is a good reason why the NFL is sometimes called the "not for long league'. Carroll is a great motivator, and mentor. He knows how to get the most out of players, and has a knack for finding players that others overlooked. That being said he had trouble managing his players during his previous stints. Our players either look frustrated, or indifferent right now. I'm getting the same vibe I got from the Mora era team. We're obviously much better, and Carroll is the better coach, but the players are giving off that same vibe. We've had a lot of injuries, yes, but we have been woefully under-performing even when we had a healthy roster.

I think the main story here is Pete Carroll's nepotism. He refuses to adapt, and surrounds himself with inept coaches. Bevell, Cable, and Richard are all not performing up to par. I think what also really hurt us is the fact that we lost our enforcers on the coaching staff, those being Quinn, and Norton. Since those two have left the Seahawks have looked unfocused, and have been playing undisciplined football. Even simple, fundamentals such as tackling have been lacking lately.

Bingo...
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:20 am
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    425HawkSpark wrote:Only brought a winning team, and culture to the Seahawks. Broke records, brought us a Super Bowl. Your right he is the idiot and you should head the team. Just stop posting makes you look smarter.

Any team would be frustrated with the level of injuries we've suffered. Running back by committee, no LT until a few weeks ago, and now no LOB. The team that wins the Super Bowl is usually the best team that stays healthy all year -- not the best team.

I agree with your comment on PC's choice of coaches, and willingness to stick with them too long. The problem is that stuff happens no matter which new coach you bring in. It's everywhere.
    Tusc2000
    NET Rookie

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:27 am
  • Are we going to get back on topic?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion...man." - The Dude
    CHawkTailGator
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:28 am
  • Freeny had 3 sacks in 4 games in what world does releasing him fit the always compete mantra :?:
    randomation
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:42 am
  • Another reason is that they love Jordan's upside and must be pleased with how he's playing.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 am
  • austinslater25 wrote:Another reason is that they love Jordan's upside and must be pleased with how he's playing.

I think they want to give Jordan more reps and also Jefferson got his cast off and may be ready soon.

Marsh is NOT coming back (IMO).
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:57 am
  • Jalen Collins...... maybe
    Blaze808
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:45 am
  • More expensive Kicker? :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am
  • chris98251 wrote:More expensive Kicker? :)

You mean one that "costs us" 4 games instead of just 2? :twisted:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:50 am
  • Because someone has to take the fall :roll:
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:53 am
  • hawkfannj wrote:Because someone has to take the fall :roll:

I don't blame Walsh for the Falcons loss.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 am
  • Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:More expensive Kicker? :)

You mean one that "costs us" 4 games instead of just 2? :twisted:

Hey, give Walsh time...he can get there.

On the surface the release of Freeney doesn't make sense to me either, given his relative production and potential to instruct some of the young guys.

It doesn't save a ton of $$, does it?
    Maybe a combination of factors: $$, age, health (?), other players returning, playing DE like they want it played, etc.

It can't possibly be to bring back Marsh, can it?? That would be a decision akin to the failed fake FG.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 am
  • Pure speculation on my part, but maybe it signals good news regarding the health of Cliff Avril, Marcus Smith, or Malik McDowell.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 am
  • kobebryant wrote:Pure speculation on my part, but maybe it signals good news regarding the health of Cliff Avril, Marcus Smith, or Malik McDowell.

Rule Smith out as he's already on the roster so there is no need to make space for him. Avril would completely shock me if he returned. McDowell is a possibility as he would need a roster spot, but If I am being totally honest, I think at this point, I'd rather have just put McDowell on IR for the season and kept Freeney. He's been pretty good so far and he's a known quantity.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 am
  • kidhawk wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:Pure speculation on my part, but maybe it signals good news regarding the health of Cliff Avril, Marcus Smith, or Malik McDowell.

Rule Smith out as he's already on the roster so there is no need to make space for him. Avril would completely shock me if he returned. McDowell is a possibility as he would need a roster spot, but If I am being totally honest, I think at this point, I'd rather have just put McDowell on IR for the season and kept Freeney. He's been pretty good so far and he's a known quantity.

McDowell is on the NFI list so he can practice for 3 weeks with the team before being added to the active roster. Since he's not practicing, it's very unlikely that it's him. Same situation with Shead. I think Pete said they're both a ways from the roster but Shead is ahead.

That said, we're pretty heavy on DL right now. I think we're at 11 or 12 when we normally carry 10. Probably clearing room for someone who can contribute on special teams. Cashius Marsh would make some sense. I'm personally hoping this is the return of Marcel Reese. Someone @ Guy Fieri and ask.
    jdemps
    NET Veteran

Location: SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of Hawk homerism

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 am
  • You never know about Freeny. Could it have been lack of effort durning practice, Maybe butting heads with certain players or coaches never know the real reason. I stll say after this season Pete should rebuild the entire O and D with exception to a few including coaches. I enjoy the hungry look the young player's give.
    onepicknick1
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 am
  • I'm hoping it's to make room for a RB that can stay healthy. Are there any out there?
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 am
  • Has anyone checked the team's cap position following the acquisition of Maxwell?

Therein is the reason, they can't afford Freeney.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:40 am
  • Interesting points made by everyone other than the knee-jerk response which was totally not related to what I was getting at.

I think were in cap hell right now, but I'm not sure how that all works. I read something that has us last in the league right now in cap space with about 100k available iirc.

The injuries are super obnoxious at this point because it's happening at positions where we don't have a ton of depth.

RB and CB, man what an unfortunate year for injuries.

Disappointed seeing Freeney go given his production.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 am
  • Could be that he made Ifedi look bad in practice also. Shaking his confidence so that he is not effective in games,

Nah they would have to wave the whole D line and LB group if that was the case.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:46 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Could be that he made Ifedi look bad in practice also. Shaking his confidence so that he is not effective in games,

Nah they would have to wave the whole D line and LB group if that was the case.

:lol:
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:Pure speculation on my part, but maybe it signals good news regarding the health of Cliff Avril, Marcus Smith, or Malik McDowell.

Sorry, I meant that perhaps Smith is getting healthy enough to start getting reps again, thus making a DL expendable. With Jordan, Jackson and Smith potentially being in their longer term plans, plus Frank and Mike, Freeney perhaps becomes the odd man out when the next roster move is made.

Freeney also seemed to be freelancing a bit, and lost contain on the Matt Ryan first down scramble. That's a huge no-no to Pete, as 'hero ball' has previously cost David Bass and TY McGill their jobs.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:01 pm
  • RussB wrote:Mcdowell or shead are coming back soon. They also might pick up jalen collins.

Hmm, Jalen Collins. Quick, tall, long arms, needs a second chance. I like this concept.
    SeaChase wrote:One thing I noticed,well in my opinion,is that Wilson isnt a good passer.
    KillerB
    NET Rookie

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:44 pm
  • Surprising move. Freeney seemed to me to have been an intelligent and cost effective signing.

Especially in light of the 5 million dollar Eddie Lacey pothole. That's without considering
    our "Placekicker".
    Some strange decisions without even mentioning Alex Collins....but I will anyway.
    "All in the game yo, all in the game"
    Omar Devon Little
    1980-2007
    two dog
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:49 pm
  • I got to the press conference a little late, but Pete was answering this when I started listening and he finished by talking about it being partially cap related. I'll have to rewatch the conference when it's posted to see what he said in full.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:50 pm
  • He is now a Lion.....
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:54 pm
  • WmHBonney wrote:He is now a Lion.....

That's a good fit...fighting for a playoff spot and reunites him with Caldwell to boot.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:01 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:I got to the press conference a little late, but Pete was answering this when I started listening and he finished by talking about it being partially cap related. I'll have to rewatch the conference when it's posted to see what he said in full.

Ok got to see the full quote in context and he said we needed to make some moves and that was the spot we were deepest. Said he hated to do it but it had to be done. Said he thought Freeney played well but we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 pm
  • Freeney just tweeted that he is completely confused.

Sounds like we didn't even give him an explanation. I just dont get the decisions Pete makes sometimes.
    IrishNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:34 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:I got to the press conference a little late, but Pete was answering this when I started listening and he finished by talking about it being partially cap related. I'll have to rewatch the conference when it's posted to see what he said in full.

Ok got to see the full quote in context and he said we needed to make some moves and that was the spot we were deepest. Said he hated to do it but it had to be done. Said he thought Freeney played well but we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations.

I get the 'we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations' part. But why do we then go on and promote David Moore instead of a RB or DB? Were there any injuries to our receivers that I missed?
    Last edited by rossob on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "It's payback, Russell Wilson falling way back, in the draft, turn nothing into something"
    rossob
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm
  • From Dwight Freemey's twitter: Completely confused to be in this situation but excited for the future.

Sounds, looks and feels like a white flag, oh Pete.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:39 pm
  • KillerB wrote:
    RussB wrote:Mcdowell or shead are coming back soon. They also might pick up jalen collins.

Hmm, Jalen Collins. Quick, tall, long arms, needs a second chance. I like this concept.

He played pretty well for the falcons last year when trufant went down.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 pm
  • massari
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:43 pm
  • Of course he is confused because he thought he played well.
    I want this team to be more cutthroat with it's roster moves - so I really don't mind it.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:46 pm
  • iigakusei wrote:Of course he is confused because he thought he played well.
    I want this team to be more cutthroat with it's roster moves - so I really don't mind it.
    I wish the team was more cut throat with the coaching staff... ok im done.
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:52 pm
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    iigakusei wrote:Of course he is confused because he thought he played well.

100% agree.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:00 pm
  • rossob wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:I got to the press conference a little late, but Pete was answering this when I started listening and he finished by talking about it being partially cap related. I'll have to rewatch the conference when it's posted to see what he said in full.

I get the 'we needed the roster spot due to our injury situations' part. But why do we then go on and promote David Moore instead of a RB or DB? Were there any injuries to our receivers that I missed?

As I also mentioned prior to the second posting, he also mentioned cap space. Freeney is one of a small minority of players that frees up cap space with a release. We are very tight against the cap. This move gives us more freedom moving forward, not just this week. At least that's how I took the explanation.

kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:
    rossob wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:

As I also mentioned prior to the second posting, he also mentioned cap space. Freeney is one of a small minority of players that frees up cap space with a release. We are very tight against the cap. This move gives us more freedom moving forward, not just this week. At least that's how I took the explanation.

Also said that another team was trying to poach David Moore.
    jdemps
    NET Veteran

Location: SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of Hawk homerism

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:19 pm
  • This move made zero sense and the post -2013 decisions of John Schneider and PC are subpar at best.
    MarylandHawk
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:37 pm
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:

yep agree 100% about coaching staff
    summesm
    NET Rookie

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:13 pm
  • summesm wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:

yep agree 100% about coaching staff

*cough cough Cable
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 pm
  • randomation wrote:Freeny had 3 sacks in 4 games in what world does releasing him fit the always compete mantra :?:

:sarcasm_on:

Right. That extrapolates to only 12 sacks per 16 game season.

:sarcasm_off:
    Netskier
    netskier
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information