Stats on 50+ yard field goals (NOT AUTOMATIC)

gubernaculum

Reaction score
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kickers-are-forever/

This article shows that the accuracy of field goals have been trending up in the NFL. In the past 7 years however, 50+ yard field goals have been successful less than 70% of the time. Going back to 2002 when century link opened, according to Danny O'Neil's twitter feed, kickers are 28 of 53 on FG attempts of 50 yards or more at century link. That's a 53% success rate. Food for thought...

droop828

Reaction score
It’s not about the miss. It’s about coming up short.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Some what ironically Hauschka has made 13 in a row from 50 or more.

OP
OP
G

gubernaculum

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1b7cp0j6 said:

I totally agree. I was definitely thinking that Hauschka would have made that kick. Then again, maybe the money we saved on not paying Hauschka translated to a greater benefit to us via our recent OL and DL additions this year. Hard to know for sure, but it still stings.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
gubernaculum":3lundr3t said:
brimsalabim":3lundr3t said:

I totally agree. I was definitely thinking that Hauschka would have made that kick. Then again, maybe the money we saved on not paying Hauschka translated to a greater benefit to us via our recent OL and DL additions this year. Hard to know for sure, but it still stings.

We were able to sign Lacy.

253hawk

Reaction score
The ball started off with a slight hook which took a little distance out of it, plus it was cold out. Would have made it under slightly different conditions if it was kicked the exact same way.

Seymour

Reaction score
brimsalabim":q1wj7m77 said:

Couldn't afford him. Needed cash for Lacey and Joeckel. Makes sense since we were so awesome in the red zone in 2016.

massari

Reaction score
gubernaculum":2zv79vkr said:
Then again, maybe the money we saved on not paying Hauschka translated to a greater benefit to us via our recent OL and DL additions this year.
Nope. Basically coulda signed Hauschka instead of Michael Wilhoite and Blair Walsh.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

getnasty

Reaction score
There wasn't one person that wanted Hauschka back after the year he had last year so let's not act like Pete and John made the wrong decision by not paying him.

potatohead

Reaction score
253hawk":wl1n3642 said:
The ball started off with a slight hook which took a little distance out of it, plus it was cold out. Would have made it under slightly different conditions if it was kicked the exact same way.

Nobody seems to think about this. Playing in Denver at 80° is a far cry fro Seattle at 45°. A 52 yarder corrected for those conditions is more like a 58-60 yarder. Pete had to have known this and in the end the clock management and burned timeouts is what did them in. There wasn't a kickoff all night that went out the back of the end zone other than the ET penalty one, normally you a few a lot that aren't even catchable by the return man.

massari

Reaction score
getnasty":15dka4pm said:
There wasn't one person that wanted Hauschka back after the year he had last year so let's not act like Pete and John made the wrong decision by not paying him.
Haush actually had a good season last year except for the xp misses. He was clutch like always. Walsh had xp misses too, but struggled with 3 pointers as well.

I was actually cool with it because I thought PC/JS had some kind of inside info that Hausch lost something and Walsh was over his mental issues.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm OK with missing 50+ yard FG's.............but I'm NOT OK with missing them short. Miss em right, miss em left, but that kick should have been good from 60 as far as distance.

If not? Then get the hell out of the league Walsh, you're not an NFL kicker if you can't even get it 51 yards. Embarrassing.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah it was hard to watch an NFL kicker come up short, the conditions weren't that bad and to miss short is inexcusable which Walsh would even tell you. Would of been nice to have that timeout we wasted when Doug claimed he caught it knowing he dropped it.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zvmqzcp said:
I'm OK with missing 50+ yard FG's.............but I'm NOT OK with missing them short. Miss em right, miss em left, but that kick should have been good from 60 as far as distance.

If not? Then get the hell out of the league Walsh, you're not an NFL kicker if you can't even get it 51 yards. Embarrassing.

Ok, then watch the end of the Bears Lions and tell me which position you'd rather be in.

Well, in all fairness, I guess a miss is a miss, and asking someone to judge which miss they'd rather have is kinda weird, but all I'm saying is: The Bears was worse. way, way worse.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Optimus25":zqhy9a7a said:
Sgt. Largent":zqhy9a7a said:

Ok, then watch the end of the Bears Lions and tell me which position you'd rather be in.

Well, in all fairness, I guess a miss is a miss, and asking someone to judge which miss they'd rather have is kinda weird, but all I'm saying is: The Bears was worse. way, way worse.

It's a low percentage kick either way, but all 32 NFL kickers should have the leg to get it 51 yards. That's all I'm saying, the fact that Walsh left it short tells me he didn't have the confidence to really hit it hard.

I'm in no way blaming him for this loss, but if we're analyzing this kick in a vacuum? You can't miss it short, you just can't. Unless there was a headwind, which there was not. Zero wind.

hawker84

Reaction score
Who cares about stats. Dude missed a chip shot against us in the playoffs costing his team. He missed 3 last week, and a crucial one last night. He's a head case, and just not a reliable kicker.

253hawk

Reaction score
potatohead":3imvhr4r said:
253hawk":3imvhr4r said:

Nobody seems to think about this. Playing in Denver at 80° is a far cry fro Seattle at 45°. A 52 yarder corrected for those conditions is more like a 58-60 yarder. Pete had to have known this and in the end the clock management and burned timeouts is what did them in. There wasn't a kickoff all night that went out the back of the end zone other than the ET penalty one, normally you a few a lot that aren't even catchable by the return man.

Gostkowski hit that 62 yarder in Mexico City (7400' and 60-something degrees) with enough room to clear it from 70. Cold air is more dense than warm air, but less dense than people ragging on Walsh for coming up short.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2e4cqpha said:
Optimus25":2e4cqpha said:
Sgt. Largent":2e4cqpha said:

It's a low percentage kick either way, but all 32 NFL kickers should have the leg to get it 51 yards. That's all I'm saying, the fact that Walsh left it short tells me he didn't have the confidence to really hit it hard.

I'm in no way blaming him for this loss, but if we're analyzing this kick in a vacuum? You can't miss it short, you just can't. Unless there was a headwind, which there was not. Zero wind.

Correct...

He can kick 50+ yards. He broke the rookie record for 50+ yard field goals in a season.

It seems he held back a bit to improve accuracy, or just let nerves get to him.

Latest posts