Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

52 yarders for nfl kickers should he automatic

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Cut him tomorrow.
    User avatar
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1498
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:32 am


  • I don't know about cutting him, gotta have a replacement first.

    However, you are correct that 52 yarders should be within reach for kickers nowadays. It really sucked that it fell short. I would expect a 56 or 58 yarder to fall short but not 2 yards above 50.

    And to bring in the kicker from Minnesota who caused Minnesota to lose playoff games to Seattle? Not the best plan of action.
    User avatar
    Blindside
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 13
    Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 pm
    Location: Philippines


  • He would have been kicking a much shorter one at the half if our play callers weren't idiots. A little less pressure if he would have been attempting that for the win. I do agree though, he should have the leg to make that kick. Walsh is his own worst enemy, he said he was trying hard to make sure it was on target so might not have gotten enough leg on it.
    peppersjap
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 718
    Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:44 am


  • Philly had their second kicker hurt Sunday, so if they have to make a move they better do it asap
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2392
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


  • Not automatic, but they shouldn't be short.
    User avatar
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5001
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:04 pm


  • Tim Ruskell and Jim Mora wouldn't stand for this. They would have had the foresight to keep two kickers on the roster!
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2112
    Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:31 am


  • The guy's got just two tasks in his job. One task is to practice enough to remain accurate. The other is to exercise his leg enough to be worthy of kicking in the NFL. I don't think these should be difficult for someone who is competing at the highest level. In fact, I wish my job were that simple. And yet it isn't getting accomplished. 52 yards and it falls short?!? He doesn't exercise enough to have strong leg muscles?!? Holy hell. I might expect this short of crap from UW these days, but not ANYWHERE in the NFL. I've also seen enough of the kickoffs that barely reach the 10. He's kicking them from the damn 35!
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6074
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


  • Might as well give Russell a try. We ask him to do everything else.
    User avatar
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3738
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:50 am


  • Walsh is a problem but that again falls upon the decision makers. We of all teams knew he was a choker and we still hired him. SH was “money” and had a few bad games and we cut him loose.

    Yet we hold on to these JV coaches
    NJlargent
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1150
    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm


  • And meanwhile, Hauschka just broke the NFL record for consecutive 50+ yard field goals made (13).

    "Buffalo Bills K Steven Hauschka set a new NFL record in his team's week 11 road loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. With his 50 yard FG conversion in the third quarter, he extended his streak of 50+ yard FG conversions to 13, the longest such streak in league history. Hauschka also converted on each of his three PAT tries on the afternoon.

    https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/13 ... record.php
    User avatar
    Mindsink
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 264
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am


  • Spin Doctor wrote:Tim Ruskell and Jim Mora wouldn't stand for this. They would have had the foresight to keep two kickers on the roster!


    I thought Holmgren was the head coach in 2008 with mare and coutu.
    gubernaculum
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 52
    Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:27 pm


  • Yep, you get into FG range and every kick is an adventure.

    I just had this horrible feeling our kicker would revert to form, he’d choke. That’s now 4 kicks he’s missed.

    Sure miss Hauschka, who’s leg was more dependable. He had his issues too but those kicks were usually money.

    There were,however, certainly 10 other points given up that really cost the game.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4433
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • And don’t forget, he also missed a PAT but got lucky and had it bounce through when it hit the upright.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    User avatar
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *
     
    Posts: 16655
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 am
    Location: On the lake, Livingston Texas


  • Chicago just scooped up the only legit free agent kicker, Santos. No one really out there.
    SUPERBOWL XL CHAMPS AND I HAVE THE SHIRT TO PROVE IT!
    User avatar
    zchurch74
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 209
    Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 am


  • pmedic920 wrote:And don’t forget, he also missed a PAT but got lucky and had it bounce through when it hit the upright.



    So...he didn't miss? Sweet.
    User avatar
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1604
    Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:23 pm


  • 52 yards automatic, no, to much distance and a lot of things can affect a kick. Saying that, the kick last night everything was perfect. However when Walsh said he should have driven it more that bothered me, when at 52 yards do you take something off a kick, it would seem to infer he didn't give it his all or best effort.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 22463
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Mindsink wrote:And meanwhile, Hauschka just broke the NFL record for consecutive 50+ yard field goals made (13).

    "Buffalo Bills K Steven Hauschka set a new NFL record in his team's week 11 road loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. With his 50 yard FG conversion in the third quarter, he extended his streak of 50+ yard FG conversions to 13, the longest such streak in league history. Hauschka also converted on each of his three PAT tries on the afternoon.

    https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/13 ... record.php


    Do you want to give a kicker $3M a year?

    Walsh has been just as good as Hauschka from a year ago. Don’t know what to tell you
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 11234
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • chris98251 wrote:52 yards automatic, no, to much distance and a lot of things can affect a kick. Saying that, the kick last night everything was perfect. However when Walsh said he should have driven it more that bothered me, when at 52 yards do you take something off a kick, it would seem to infer he didn't give it his all or best effort.


    It's like short arming a swing pass to a RB. You're aiming it instead of throwing it.

    Was there any wind last night ?
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7460
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • pmedic920 wrote:And don’t forget, he also missed a PAT but got lucky and had it bounce through when it hit the upright.


    That’s some sound logic there.. by that logic Blair Walsh hit a 51 yard FG last night to force OT. He got *unlucky* that the kick was from 52 yards
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 11234
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Hausch missed 6 extra points and 2 FGs of under 30 yards last season (and 2 more of under 50 yards). You all would have lost your minds if the Seahawks had rewarded him with a big fat contract like what he got from Buffalo.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2493
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


  • GeekHawk wrote:The guy's got just two tasks in his job. One task is to practice enough to remain accurate. The other is to exercise his leg enough to be worthy of kicking in the NFL. I don't think these should be difficult for someone who is competing at the highest level. In fact, I wish my job were that simple. And yet it isn't getting accomplished. 52 yards and it falls short?!? He doesn't exercise enough to have strong leg muscles?!? Holy hell. I might expect this short of crap from UW these days, but not ANYWHERE in the NFL. I've also seen enough of the kickoffs that barely reach the 10. He's kicking them from the damn 35!


    You do know they kick them to the goal line on purpose, right ?

    they also had a pooch kick that was executed to perfection, which is much harder than just booting it into the end zone.

    I've also seen Walsh put a ton of kicks out of the end zone when needed. He typically ranks near the top of the league in touchbacks when asked to, for us and Minnesota.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7460
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • Chapow wrote:Hausch missed 6 extra points and 2 FGs of under 30 yards last season (and 2 more of under 50 yards). You all would have lost your minds if the Seahawks had rewarded him with a big fat contract like what he got from Buffalo.


    That doesn't make any sense ! Everyone says he was perfect last year.

    Why you throwing facts around and stuff ?
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7460
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • Walsh has plenty of leg strength, in fact, I recall him being considered one of the strongest leg kickers out there. On the kick last night, he very clearly let up, presumably sacrificing some power for more control and accuracy. Go ahead and replay it, he looked to take a 3/4 power swing versus full power. Much like other sports, and I'm thinking golf here and the "yips", his problems are all in his head. It's not a power or flexibility or practice thing.
    SeahawksEast
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 103
    Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:44 pm


  • Hasselbeck wrote:
    Mindsink wrote:And meanwhile, Hauschka just broke the NFL record for consecutive 50+ yard field goals made (13).

    "Buffalo Bills K Steven Hauschka set a new NFL record in his team's week 11 road loss to the Los Angeles Chargers. With his 50 yard FG conversion in the third quarter, he extended his streak of 50+ yard FG conversions to 13, the longest such streak in league history. Hauschka also converted on each of his three PAT tries on the afternoon.

    https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/13 ... record.php


    Do you want to give a kicker $3M a year?

    Walsh has been just as good as Hauschka from a year ago. Don’t know what to tell you


    Sorry but this is not true.
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3733
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


  • I mean Haushka was so good last year he has like six missed extra points, a few missed FG's, including the Arizona shank, and also had two or three blocked one of which was run back for a TD. I mean yeah he was Haush-money last year for sure.
    potatohead
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 129
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:26 am


  • potatohead wrote:I mean Haushka was so good last year he has like six missed extra points, a few missed FG's, including the Arizona shank, and also had two or three blocked one of which was run back for a TD. I mean yeah he was Haush-money last year for sure.


    What I find interesting is that I thought JS let Haush walk last year due to the misses potentially being "in his head" and not paying that kind of coin to a position that is heavily a mental game, only to go out and sign a strong legged kicker who has the "yips".
    SeahawksEast
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 103
    Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:44 pm


  • Chapow wrote:Hausch missed 6 extra points and 2 FGs of under 30 yards last season (and 2 more of under 50 yards). You all would have lost your minds if the Seahawks had rewarded him with a big fat contract like what he got from Buffalo.


    Well he also made 89% of his FGs last year and was 7th in the league in scoring in 2016.
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3733
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    Chapow wrote:Hausch missed 6 extra points and 2 FGs of under 30 yards last season (and 2 more of under 50 yards). You all would have lost your minds if the Seahawks had rewarded him with a big fat contract like what he got from Buffalo.


    Well he also made 89% of his FGs last year and was 7th in the league in scoring in 2016.


    So you think this team should have brought back a kicker that missed 8 kicks of 33 yards or less for $3 million per season? Would you have been happy with that decision last March?
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2493
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


  • Spin Doctor wrote:Tim Ruskell and Jim Mora wouldn't stand for this. They would have had the foresight to keep two kickers on the roster!


    Get Olindo Mare on the phone!
    "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
    User avatar
    Ace_Rimmer
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 710
    Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:59 am
    Location: Vancouver, BC


  • Chapow wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    Chapow wrote:Hausch missed 6 extra points and 2 FGs of under 30 yards last season (and 2 more of under 50 yards). You all would have lost your minds if the Seahawks had rewarded him with a big fat contract like what he got from Buffalo.


    Well he also made 89% of his FGs last year and was 7th in the league in scoring in 2016.


    So you think this team should have brought back a kicker that missed 8 kicks of 33 yards or less for $3 million per season? Would you have been happy with that decision last March?


    Not necessarily but I would answer yes if the only other choice was Walsh. An argument can be made for paying a good kicker.
    User avatar
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3733
    Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:36 pm
    Location: Aiken , SC


  • seahawkfreak wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    Chapow wrote:Hausch missed 6 extra points and 2 FGs of under 30 yards last season (and 2 more of under 50 yards). You all would have lost your minds if the Seahawks had rewarded him with a big fat contract like what he got from Buffalo.


    Well he also made 89% of his FGs last year and was 7th in the league in scoring in 2016.


    So you think this team should have brought back a kicker that missed 8 kicks of 33 yards or less for $3 million per season? Would you have been happy with that decision last March?


    Not necessarily but I would answer yes if the only other choice was Walsh. An argument can be made for paying a good kicker.


    Yeah, absolutely an argument can be made for paying a good kicker. An argument can also be made that maybe a kicker just isn't that good anymore when they miss 8 kicks of 33 yards or less.

    I can't help but wonder where all these Hausch advocates were during, and after, last season. I sure don't remember many (any?) people banging the drum to re-sign him. Do you?
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2493
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


  • Chapow wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    seahawkfreak wrote:
    Well he also made 89% of his FGs last year and was 7th in the league in scoring in 2016.


    So you think this team should have brought back a kicker that missed 8 kicks of 33 yards or less for $3 million per season? Would you have been happy with that decision last March?


    Not necessarily but I would answer yes if the only other choice was Walsh. An argument can be made for paying a good kicker.


    Yeah, absolutely an argument can be made for paying a good kicker. An argument can also be made that maybe a kicker just isn't that good anymore when they miss 8 kicks of 33 yards or less.

    I can't help but wonder where all these Hausch advocates were during, and after, last season. I sure don't remember many (any?) people banging the drum to re-sign him. Do you?


    I posted my concerns after I saw who they signed and especially that we brought nobody in with 10 picks and nobody even in FA with our piss poor red zone scoring last season making this an important position.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3224
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm




It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:58 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information