Pete has to go

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
What is PC when he doesn’t have Wilson, Sherman and Thomas on rookie contracts? A terrible gameday coach who does not devise game plans to fit his team’s strengths and exploit the opponent’s weakness, a coach who places zero emphasis on coaching his players to avoid costly penalties, a coach prone to idiotic hormonal calls like the fake punt, and worst of all, a coach defined by stubbornness and narcissism as he definitely stands by Tom Cable and the outdated ZBS even after the rest of the league has 100% figured out how to stop it.

I will always be grafteful to Pete for 48 and all the great years, but his run is done. Under him this team is only going to get worse and worse. Time to start over.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":lql6twfg said:
What is PC when he doesn’t have Wilson, Sherman and Thomas on rookie contracts? A terrible gameday coach who does not devise game plans to fit his team’s strengths and exploit the opponent’s weakness, a coach who places zero emphasis on coaching his players to avoid costly penalties, a coach prone to idiotic hormonal calls like the fake punt, and worst of all, a coach defined by stubbornness and narcissism as he definitely stands by Tom Cable and the outdated ZBS even after the rest of the league has 100% figured out how to stop it.

I will always be grafteful to Pete for 48 and all the great years, but his run is done. Under him this team is only going to get worse and worse. Time to start over.
Agreed!

It's time for a change.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not sure. Our record now matches what it was in 2012 and 2014. The Seahawks have been contenders for a long time and you don't just give up a seat at that table.

This is more #benchtyrod logic. Seattle has it great. That isn't to say that there aren't any criticisms to make of this team - there are many. But come on, this whole preemptive firing stuff is just silly.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Even when Pete and Bevell were doing well during the 4 game win streak, this team this year doesn't have the talent to win the owl. Maybe not even the playoffs. Currently 8th seed and we lost a lot of tiebreakers. I'm not sure if 10-6 gets you in this year. The Rams game is an absolute must win. And too many injuries. No run game

OP
OP
Missing_Clink

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1uqunuaq said:
Not sure. Our record now matches what it was in 2012 and 2014. The Seahawks have been contenders for a long time and you don't just give up a seat at that table.

This is more #benchtyrod logic. Seattle has it great. That isn't to say that there aren't any criticisms to make of this team - there are many. But come on, this whole preemptive firing stuff is just silly.

It’s totally clear now that all the success you mention can be attributed entirely to 3 great drafts and the Marshawn Lynch trade, not Pete’s coaching. Now, with no LOB on rookie contracts, we see that Pete doesn’t have the chops to get the guys he has playing good football. I mean look at just the penalties. It’s one thing when you are penalized frequently but you’ve got the league’s best roster, but now? No ability to overcome them and yet PC changes nothing about these guys are coached.

I know it feels right to say “we’ve had it great, don’t complain.” Fact is that the perfect storm of factors that made us great are gone, and PC isn’t the kind of coach to adapt to a new era. I’d rather rip the bandaid off and get rolling on the next era of good Seahawks football.

renofox

Reaction score
Crizilla":1mf240u4 said:
Even when Pete and Bevell were doing well during the 4 game win streak, this team this year doesn't have the talent to win the owl. Maybe not even the playoffs. Currently 8th seed and we lost a lot of tiebreakers. I'm not sure if 10-6 gets you in this year. The Rams game is an absolute must win. And too many injuries. No run game

Exactly. When the Seahawks won the SB, they had pro-bowl and all-pro level players at almost every position. They also made it through the season with few injuries, and had quality depth which meant outstanding special team play.

I don't know if PC can win without having an extraordinary level of talent to work with.

Even now, with the injuries, this team has more talent than most teams. But they cannot get our of their own way and are constantly being outcoached. There is no valid reason for a team this much talent to struggle against a depleted 49er's roster, struggle against a decimated Stanton-led Cardinals, or lose at home to the Redskins 2nd stringers.

The failure to evolve and adapt is the death knell for any NFL team. The Seahawks are doing the same thing that worked in 2013, but they do not have the unrepeatable talent level they had in 2013. It won't work.

Time for a change.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Pete is struggling this year, but I strongly disagree with taking away credit from him for those successful years. He is very involved with Schneider (and previously McCloughan) in the draft process and he had a huge hand in coaching up the All-Pros on the roster, especially the DBs.

renofox

Reaction score
I believe the "All In" mentality of the players dissolved after 2014 and will not return without major changes. If PC was willing to overhaul the coaching staff and evolve the schemes and plays, I think the Seahawks players would buy in like they did in 2013-2014. If the plan going forward is to maintain the status quo, I'd just as soon move on to an entirely new front office (coaches, scouts, everybody).

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1490yco1 said:
Only coach I would want outside of Pete is Gruden

Don't get the Gruden love. Doesn't really have an overall good history as an NFL coach. Yes good couple years but more down than good.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1pv59fuh said:
Maelstrom787":1pv59fuh said:

It’s totally clear now that all the success you mention can be attributed entirely to 3 great drafts and the Marshawn Lynch trade, not Pete’s coaching. Now, with no LOB on rookie contracts, we see that Pete doesn’t have the chops to get the guys he has playing good football. I mean look at just the penalties. It’s one thing when you are penalized frequently but you’ve got the league’s best roster, but now? No ability to overcome them and yet PC changes nothing about these guys are coached.

I know it feels right to say “we’ve had it great, don’t complain.” Fact is that the perfect storm of factors that made us great are gone, and PC isn’t the kind of coach to adapt to a new era. I’d rather rip the bandaid off and get rolling on the next era of good Seahawks football.

It's just too soon for that crap. Seattle is still a good team and at the same record they were at in 2012 and 2014 at this point in the year.

Still in the playoff hunt just like every single year for the past 5 years now.

It is not time for that yet.

White Devil

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3mea9nkp said:
Hawk_Nation":3mea9nkp said:
Only coach I would want outside of Pete is Gruden

Don't get the Gruden love. Doesn't really have an overall good history as an NFL coach. Yes good couple years but more down than good.

Exactly. He won a SB with Dungy's team. I don't get the hype.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
As much as I love his energy, I do wonder if his title of "oldest coach in the NFL" is catching up with him. Is the game passing him by?

(Not that I could do better. This is a genuine question.)

chris98251

Reaction score
Holmgrens run and Green Bay fizzled after a good run, it fizzled here after a good run, Knox had the same situation in L.A. and here, Pete may also have gone as far as he can go at this point, the energy and team energy seems to be not as it was. That doesn't mean Pete is bad, but like reading a paper over and over, there are stories you read because you have read everything else, then everything just becomes outdated to current events and words on a page.

We may have hit that point here.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1huheaey said:
Pete's not going anywhere. Maybe some of YOU should.

:ditto: It's unfortunate that a bumpy season causes folks to want to clean house

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Holmgren at some point said that after 5 or 6 years, a coach should move on as it gets stale. I cant find the quote though.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1lr57g60 said:
Tusc2000":1lr57g60 said:
Pete's not going anywhere. Maybe some of YOU should.

:ditto: It's unfortunate that a bumpy season causes folks to want to clean house

Go back and watch 2015 and 2016 again.

Groundhog Day 28movie poster29