Doug Baldwin talks Seahawks struggling run game and

ivotuk

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin talks Seahawks’ struggling run game, 2017’s league-wide protests

• On this year’s inconsistent run game: “We’ve obviously had struggles running the ball. And that’s always been our main identity – we’ve always wanted to force the run game because it allows us to control the clock and allow our defense to do what it does: stifling the offense and preventing the other offense from scoring points.

Obviously we’ve had our struggles with that, so we’ve had to lend ourselves more to the passing game.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/369186/do ... ks-weekly/

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Personally I've recently changed my view on "running the ball to control the clock". Seems more and more to be just a football cliché, just like "running the ball to establish the pass or vise versa" is. We can control the clock just as easily by getting first downs whether running or passing the ball.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":k9gc8dj2 said:
Personally I've recently changed my view on "running the ball to control the clock". Seems more and more to be just a football cliché, just like "running the ball to establish the pass or vise versa" is. We can control the clock just as easily by getting first downs whether running or passing the ball.

Another football cliché is "running the ball to set up the pass". I believe this works in reverse too.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Talk cliche's all you want.

The Saints have a legit run game and an above average defense. Last year they were one of the past passing teams in the league. Look at the difference.

Defense and ball control offense does win games and get you deep into the playoffs where the weather is generally crappy and not always conducive to slinging it around the yard.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
You do both to be proficient in both so that when one fails then you have the other. Or it can be a matter of gameplan matchups.

This isn't politics or religious crap. And no, it doesn't freaking have what plants crave.

It's REALLY simple.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
You can certainly control the clock getting first downs passing the ball. If by controlling the clock you mean shortening the game and limiting possessions for the other team, success running will take more time off the clock than successful passing. Even when successful passing there are a few incompletions mixed in that stop the clock. That time ads up over the course of a game vs being able to run more often and have the clock run even on negative plays.