4-2-5

T-Hawk

Reaction score
I remember reading a bit about the Hawks using a 4-2-5 (4DL, 2 LB, 3 Safeties, 2 CB) defense at least at times this season, either due to the acquisition of McDougald, or part of the reason we got him. (Earl going down last year was obviously a factor either way)

I'm curious if anyone has noticed us using the 4-2-5 and I've just missed it, or have we just not been going to that?

Also with the current injuries would this defense help mitigate our losses, or is it even less likely to be used?

Hawks46

Reaction score
It pretty much depends on whether you think Delano Hill is better than whoever is backing up Wilhoite.

it's a game of matchups and you put your best players out there.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Seahawks have been in this alignment about 60 percent of their snaps this season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The 4.2.5 is basically another name for being in nickel, you're swapping out the 3rd LB for another DB.

So it's not something new we've been doing, we've been playing it quite a bit over the years, especially when we're playing teams with complex passing offenses that use a lot of 3 and 4 WR sets.

BUT, we haven't done a lot with no Kam to play that hybrid LB/safety who can drop down and be the SAM/Strong safety. So it'll be interesting to see what Pete does with McDougall. Does he just swap him out and hope he can fill that Kam role?

IMO he has to, because Wilhoite hasn't been healthy enough to go traditional 4-3.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
We play nickel so much anyway that it's practically our base defense now. And we're not the only team of which that could be said.