Don't Count The Seahawks Out!

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
The negativity in here these days is stifling. Worse than usual and boy oh boy is that saying something. Look, I get it. Injuries have now made these final games more challenging then they should be. I also don't have a problem with constructive criticism or less-than-rosy predictions if you can back it up with unemotional POVs without hyperbole.

What's bugging me is the cynicism. Example: "Sherman is out! THE SEASON IS OVER!! WE ARE DOOMED!!"

I get it. We are fans and often we wear or emotions on our sleeves. It's part of the deal. But where does it state that fans need to lose touch with reality? In my prediction thread I made it clear that this game against the Falcons is a coin flip. I fully get either team could walk away with a W. That's not the point. The point is, this general consensus that suddenly the Falcons are the best team in the NFL and the Seahawks have no shot.

Say wha?

Correct me if I am wrong but this is a HOME game. This is a NATIONALLY TELEVISED HOME game. Is Russell Wilson still our quarterback? Is Lockett, Baldwin, P-Rich injured and not playing? What about Wagner? I hear ET is available. Is our CB depth not the most impressive in the league? Look, nobody is saying this or these last games is going to be easy. I am not trying to ignore obvious deficiencies but this whole tail between our legs attitude is for losers and I am DAMN sure this team, the remaining players that are healthy enough to play, are anything but.

ONWARD!

iigakusei

Reaction score
We weren't playing great before all the injuries - that is why lots are skeptical.
If Pete just says srew it and lets the offense go I think we can beat anyone.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros I totally agree!

It seems for a few here the sky is always falling or about to fall. For sure there are more than a few concerns about the O and most specifically the running game. The worries about the injuries will be answered on Monday. The injuries have a slight dampening affect upon enthusiasm. That said this is still a strong team that plays tough at home and RW is raising his game this season.

This team certainly is not buying the "We're doomed" messages that some here are repeatedly spouting.

Clearly this game is an important conference matchup, it is in our house against a team our boys have a grudge to even up with then.

I believe!

ONWARD!

falcongoggles

Reaction score
My cynicism has ZERO to do with injuries. This offense is atrocious and the playcalling is lost. Not scoring TDs for quarters, halves and three quarters of games is unsustainable and will be the undoing of this team.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2yo3jzy0 said:
My cynicism has ZERO to do with injuries. This offense is atrocious and the playcalling is lost. Not scoring TDs for quarters, halves and three quarters of games is unsustainable and will be the undoing of this team.

Yeah Sherman going down sucks, but it happens, and it wouldn't bother me if I thought for a second that the offense could pick up the slack.

My pessimism comes from the staggering underperformace of a loaded roster. Most teams would gladly trade for Russ, Baldwin, and Graham, even with sub-par protection. But our coaches just can't make it work. It's like watching a kid try to drive a Lamborghini. Feel how you cringe at that image? That's how I feel watching this team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of course it's not over, but I've watched the Hawks from day one...........and I know when I see a Championship caliber team. I don't see a Championship caliber team right now.

Even before the injuries, everything's too hard, too many mistakes, too many penalties, etc.

Did you watch the Steelers game last night? That's a dynamic team that's making things look easy because all three phases are rolling and on the same page. Same with NE, same with the Eagles.

I don't see that with the Hawks right now. Again, doesn't mean we can't put it together. But as of now? Nope, I see a team with no identity making even getting first downs as difficult as possible.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I think it would be foolish right now not to be worried about this team as the injuries pile up, but as a fan, the enjoyment I get out of the game is the hope of winning each week. I've used that to get through some miserable seasons. We may be far from 100% and we may be the most inconsistent offensively I've seen since 2012 (and maybe even worse than that as far as consistency goes), but I'm a fan first and foremost and I still believe we can win any given week. There's not a game on our schedule we can't win. Sure there are some that we will likely lose, but we can win any given week, and I'll take that and enjoy it as much as I can.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1pydrsrt said:

I do agree with this. Our offence continually puts the defence in a position where they are on the field a lot more and in some aspects have to try and win the game. Sherman is a big loss but the defence can overcome it imo. If the offence never figures it out this team is going nowhere...don't blame injuries. I am hopeful Mike Davis will help because he should of been the number 2 out of preseason anyway. Rawls, Procise and Lacy in hindsight were wasted roster spots.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":1fbluj73 said:
I think it would be foolish right now not to be worried about this team as the injuries pile up, but as a fan, the enjoyment I get out of the game is the hope of winning each week. I've used that to get through some miserable seasons. We may be far from 100% and we may be the most inconsistent offensively I've seen since 2012 (and maybe even worse than that as far as consistency goes), but I'm a fan first and foremost and I still believe we can win any given week. There's not a game on our schedule we can't win. Sure there are some that we will likely lose, but we can win any given week, and I'll take that and enjoy it as much as I can.

It's expectations with me, so I find myself enjoying this year's games less than I have in the past, even with bad Hawk teams.

So I need to lower my expectations, because I'm having a hard time this year. Super frustrating watching a team with this much talent continue to shoot themselves in the foot with dumb mistakes and make everything so hard on themselves.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1x8k4bk9 said:
kidhawk":1x8k4bk9 said:

It's expectations with me, so I find myself enjoying this year's games less than I have in the past, even with bad Hawk teams.

So I need to lower my expectations, because I'm having a hard time this year. Super frustrating watching a team with this much talent continue to shoot themselves in the foot with dumb mistakes and make everything so hard on themselves.

are you referring to the offence only? I think defensively they have done their job for the most part.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1ya4lk43 said:
Sgt. Largent":1ya4lk43 said:
kidhawk":1ya4lk43 said:

are you referring to the offence only? I think defensively they have done their job for the most part.

Definitely more on the offense, and now special teams. We can't field a punt or kickoff without having a block in the back or holding penalty. I'm to the point of just telling Locket to fair catch everything.

Special teams has been atrocious this year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2t18j2yx said:
kidhawk":2t18j2yx said:

I can understand that. I let myself feel that frustration during the games, and even for a bit after the games, but I use the next game to move on and regain hope for a win this week. I used to worry about how every move would end with us not winning a super bowl, and maybe it helps that we've won one, but now I have realized that 31 teams don't win the Super bowl every year. The odds are against even the best teams in that regard, so I'll take the wins I can get and enjoy them as much as I can. Conversely, I tend to get past the losses faster than I used to. There are still the odd games such as this past Thursday where they are so injury riddled, it's hard to move past it, but if we can pull out a win on Monday, I think that will do the trick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":i9ce5ec5 said:
Sgt. Largent":i9ce5ec5 said:
kidhawk":i9ce5ec5 said:

I can understand that. I let myself feel that frustration during the games, and even for a bit after the games, but I use the next game to move on and regain hope for a win this week. I used to worry about how every move would end with us not winning a super bowl, and maybe it helps that we've won one, but now I have realized that 31 teams don't win the Super bowl every year. The odds are against even the best teams in that regard, so I'll take the wins I can get and enjoy them as much as I can. Conversely, I tend to get past the losses faster than I used to. There are still the odd games such as this past Thursday where they are so injury riddled, it's hard to move past it, but if we can pull out a win on Monday, I think that will do the trick.

For sure winning a SB has helped my nerves. I used to be hot mess after losses, with that impending dread of never winning always being there and wrecking me.

Now like I said the disappointment is more about my high expectations that this current group can put together one more SB run..........so when I see us struggling it bums me out.

But who knows, maybe Pete can rally the troops and get us rolling. SERENITY NOW!

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't count them out. I lowered my expectations by game 4 after seeing the oline / offense disaster once again. I don't see a championship team, therefore I'm not all that disappointed with the team. I am disappointed with coaching adjustments because we could be much better in several areas. That said, Sherman going down doesn't kill our chances IMO. Vegas shows 20-25% drop in SB odds with his loss, but I think it's a bit less personally. Sherman couldn't stop Julio last year, he sure wasn't going to this year. Our D front is where our hope lies.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
My negative post I give in the prediction thread is my form of reverse psychology. We all sincerely want this team to succeed, and I truly BELIEVE in these guys.

Plus I'll be at the game Monday Night! Woohoo!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
For the record; I really want this team to succeed but the injuries really hurt them and make me scared to watch. I am praying that people step up big time. Thank god we have a winning QB.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Aros":wvwrr1wm said:
Correct me if I am wrong but this is a HOME game.

This really doesnt mean much anymore. Just ask Washington.

As others have said, once I figure out how to lower my expectations, the more fun i'll have. On paper we should be SB contenders, but realistically, we're not. The team has been following a downward trend for 3 years now and it takes some longer to realize this than others.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mzhh71no said:
Of course it's not over, but I've watched the Hawks from day one...........and I know when I see a Championship caliber team. I don't see a Championship caliber team right now.

Even before the injuries, everything's too hard, too many mistakes, too many penalties, etc.

Did you watch the Steelers game last night? That's a dynamic team that's making things look easy because all three phases are rolling and on the same page. Same with NE, same with the Eagles.

I don't see that with the Hawks right now. Again, doesn't mean we can't put it together. But as of now? Nope, I see a team with no identity making even getting first downs as difficult as possible.

The Steelers are an interesting example. I was browsing their subreddit during the game and when they were struggling to put up points, even after a couple of picks in the first half, they were super pissed. Many called for firing their OC Todd Haley. They were pretty mad, especially since they barely beat an awful Colts team just a few days prior. I think they're pretty similar to us, actually. Except for the injuries, I don't think they have any major contributors on IR, but I could be wrong.

If they found their groove on Thursday, maybe the Hawks can find theirs on Monday? We have to hope.