Pocic / Ifedi

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Maybe I'm looking thru rose colored glasses, but I really, really like Pocic and think he will be a staple at LG for then next 10-12 years. An offseason or two in the strength room will do wonders for him.
Regarding Ifedi, I know I'm probably in the vast minority, but I think he will be a staple as well. I love his strength, movement, and feet. Once he adjusts -which has taken longer than one would expect- I expect him to be dominant. Ifedi reminds me a lot of James Carpenter who wasn't a stud the first 2 -3 yrs but became a very good lineman imo.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Ifedi definitely has the ability. I fear he might not realize his potential until after he leaves much like Carpenter though.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I agree about Pocic but Ifedi is absolutely terrible. Slow feet, slow hands, consistently kills momentum. He easily the worst thing about this team.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":3vponopm said:
I agree about Pocic but Ifedi is absolutely terrible. Slow feet, slow hands, consistently kills momentum. He easily the worst thing about this team.

Agreed,

Ifedi has the tools but does not have the talent. He is constantly beat and blows up any chance for rhythm the Seahawks offense needs.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
I also agree about Pocic. He seems like he has a good knowledge base and plays heady out there. That's what differentiates him with Ifedi, who still takes too many dumb false start penalties. I understand RT is probably a more difficult position than LG, but Ifedi also gets faked out of his jock strap too many times by what seems to me basic DE moves and Russ bears the brunt of it.

OP
OP
Seahawkwalt1967

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
I agree Ifedi's hands are pretty bad. However, I dont think his feet are that bad . I think once (if) he mentally "catches" onto the game, and improves his hands, he will be very good.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
HAWKAMANIA":3m9eaghq said:

I don't know if it's on him, the coaching or both, but here we are over half way through the season, but Ifedi still gets shredded when pass blocking. I rewatch each game see what the Oline does on slow motion, and my conclusion he is a total mess. Though he would make a good turnstyle.

As far as his penalties, I place much of that on coaching.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":1ps5jb51 said:
HAWKAMANIA":1ps5jb51 said:

I don't know if it's on him, the coaching or both, but here we are over half way through the season, but Ifedi still gets shredded when pass blocking. I rewatch each game see what the Oline does on slow motion, and my conclusion he is a total mess. Though he would make a good turnstyle.

As far as his penalties, I place much of that on coaching.

Or a lack thereof.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Pocic has played well in pass protection but is still very underwhelming in run blocking. Not unexpected and that should improve significantly now that he's in a professional strength and conditioning program. I think Joeckel may get LG back when he is healthy and we may try Pocic on the right side or put him back in the utility/depth role.

Ifedi has not been good this season. He's also played in something like 20 NFL games so far and there's been many linemen here who struggled initially and improved over time. His cap hit is 1.8m this season and 2.2m next season so there's still a good chance for him to provide value above his contract as he improves.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
Ifiedi has aweful feet. He uses his arms to much. That’s why guys run right by him. He can’t scuttle his feet fast enough to stay square on his guy. Brown can move his feet.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Pociic plays as well as a lot of seasoned vets do already at this stage of his career. He will surely make a few rookie mistakes over the next couple of seasons, but he seems to recognize it when he does, and quickly makes corrections, so we're not seeing him make the same mistakes over and over again.

He appears teachable an receptive to constructive criticism. The biggest concern for him, as is the case with any player moving from college ball to the NFL, is if he can avoid injury and stay healthy over the long haul.

As for Ifedi, he is a real talent, his biggest issue is he draws way to many penalties, and that has to cease if he wants to continue his career with the Seahawks. I truly believe that the acquisition of Duane Brown, from the Texan's, at left tackle, who has a history with Germain Ifedi, that dates back to Ifedi's college days will be instrumental in cleaning up Germain's play.,

I know I will find little support for my inclinations about Germain and his potential transition into a genuine asset to our offensive line. I'm like everyone else come game time, I get upset with hell when the yellow flag flies, and they call his number, costing us much needed and hard earned ground, again !

In his defense, however, I have taken notice that the number of penalties called against Ifedi have been fewer since Duane has been with us, and the effectiveness that Germain is having in his play, has improved as well. I think/hope this trend continues for him, for his sake, and ours.

I'll also say that the official and New York, do not appear to be very supportive of the Seahawks rise to top of their division this season. We've all seen it and felt it, with flags, and calls in our opponent's favor, when they need them the most, and in way too many instances, the play calls result in the officials all but carrying the ball into the endzone for them.

My point being in this instance, is that a lot of the flags thrown on Ifedi recently, have been marginal infraction that are identical to what our opponents are doing, or in replay, highly questionable, with seemingly no penalty committed at all.

just another give me for our opponents. I don't know how many people noted Pete's frustration and refusal to discuss the penalty calling after this last game."I won't respond to that question, I refuse to talk about it right now" I believe were his words or darn close to it.

I think all of us are seeing and feeling a lot of the same frustrations this season, all we can do, is try and not let it get to us, and affect our play, by accepting its just the way it is and likely the way its going to continue to be. Instead focus our energies and efforts on racking up enough points, to offset both our opponents scoring capabilities, and any points the officials hand them on us over the course of the game.

If we can do that consistently, throughout the rest of the season, we will prove to be a better team for it, and, as a direct result of being forced to play at that level to win, that we are impossible to defeat or deny our place as Super Bowl Champions.

Go Seahawks !

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I saw Pocic giving up an awful lot of ground on a couple of big plays for the Cardinals. Like Griffin, he's getting beat, but he's getting beat like a rookie - promisingly. He'll be good.

Ifedi I'm done with.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I dont think either one of them is very good with Ifedi being absolutely awful. Its hard to believe that Ifedi starts on a NFL team to be honest. Constantly getting destroyed and a penalty machine to boot.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Idefi's physical skills are fine. He doesn't have the football IQ/Instincts tp execute Cable's scheme though.

In a simpler power blocking scheme, Ifedi would be an effective player. He's going to end up being a better version of James Carpenter for someone else

White Devil

Reaction score
Pocic has potential, it's way too early to declare one way or the other for him.

Ifedi moves like Frankenstein. He is consistently beat with a speed rush. IMO he's way too slow to be a good tackle. I think he would be better as a guard, but I'm not positive. I don't think Ifedi makes it as a starter past this season, I hope.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Pocic reminds me of Chris Gray in that he can play G and back up at C, and he can execute his assignments most of the time but he will get beat badly on occasion due to physical limitations. That's still a valuable player but he's not going to be a Steve Hutchinson. Hopefully he does a George Fant and adds significant strength in the offseason.

Ifedi is a tough one. It seems like he has a tough time getting beat off the snap before he can get his hands on his opponent, and tries to anticipate the snap count to gain an edge, leading to penalties (Pete said it's "exactly that" when asked about Ifedi's false starts). Seems like this could be helped with coaching and experience but progress has been slow. I'll cut him a little slack since it's his first season starting at RT but he needs to start showing signs that he can get past this.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
White Devil":gncu4fhv said:
Pocic has potential, it's way too early to declare one way or the other for him.

Ifedi moves like Frankenstein. He is consistently beat with a speed rush. IMO he's way too slow to be a good tackle. I think he would be better as a guard, but I'm not positive. I don't think Ifedi makes it as a starter past this season, I hope.

:ditto:

Except I think Ifedi would make a very good RG with a little more seasoning. Britt led the league in pressures allowed as a rookie and then was even worse in his 2nd year. It's just about finding him the right position, which for Ifedi I think is guard.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Is ifedi a second yr player or 10th yr player? You guys act like he is a seasoned vet and isn't still learning. He is a year ahead of pocic. Pocic gets pushed around but its OK. Ifedi gets beat, he sucks!

This was going on for ifedi by people last year when he was a rookie. I don't think ifedi is that bad for a second year guy. Pocic is gonna be goof but needs weight and more strength.

I bet both will eventually be average to good by end of career.

Hawksfan78

Reaction score
Maybe, just maybe. If we could get a different line coach, Ifedi could be good

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawksfan78":3rzk70ri said:
Maybe, just maybe. If we could get a different line coach, Ifedi could be good

Worked for Carpenter and Breno :) although their new coaches were in New York.