NFL reviewing Russell Wilson's concussion test

Seymour

Reaction score

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I am okay with them reviewing that as long as they fully review the rest of the travesty that was called officiating last night.

Reaction score
Seymour":3o3kudvm said:
Sounds like we "could lose draft picks" over this?

Sounds ridiculous....he was hit in the chin not the head. :roll:
According to the joint policy developed by the NFL and NFL Players Association, if the concussion protocol is found to not be properly followed, the team is subject to fines and a potential loss of draft picks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000874976/article/nfl-reviewing-russell-wilsons-concussion-test

Not sure if you are aware, but the chin is actually part of your head. And yes, you absolutely get concussions from being hit there.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
QuickLightning":24vme56y said:
Seymour":24vme56y said:

According to the joint policy developed by the NFL and NFL Players Association, if the concussion protocol is found to not be properly followed, the team is subject to fines and a potential loss of draft picks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000874976/article/nfl-reviewing-russell-wilsons-concussion-test

Not sure if you are aware, but the chin is actually part of your head. And yes, you absolutely get concussions from being hit there.

No I wasn't aware the chin was part of the head, I appreciate the "heads up".

So if you get poked in the eye I guess you go to concussion protocol also? Makes sense. :2thumbs:

Baldwin got his chin hit in endzone and teeth knocked out and never went through this. Players get hit there all the time without this. BS.

The jaw is on a hinge connected to the head. That hinge is going to absorb more of the impact that the brain. :roll:

inda2o6

Reaction score
It looked like Russell got a stinger on the hit to his jaw. It hurt but he shook it off. :sarcasm_on: Russell drinks Nano bubble water & that protects the brain enough to stop concussions, that's what Dr. Wilson said. Believe in Dr. Wilson! :sarcasm_off: He works miricles & can even fix broken plays... :D

naholmes

Reaction score
It was a bit of a joke. I mean if they are going to make him come out of the game and go to the tent then perform a proper exam while he is in there. Did anybody time how many seconds was he in the tent?

potatohead

Reaction score
Seymour":11nkelj4 said:
QuickLightning":11nkelj4 said:
Seymour":11nkelj4 said:

So if you get poked in the eye I guess you go to concussion protocol also? Makes sense. :2thumbs:

Baldwin got his chin hit in endzone and teeth knocked out and never went through this. Players get hit there all the time without this. BS.

The jaw is on a hinge connected to the head. That hinge is going to absorb more of the impact that the brain. :roll:

Do boxers punch each other in the head? Or in the face and chin?

I thought RW was just sent off because he had to sit out a play since they stopped play for injury. I didn't realize he was under concussion testing?

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
naholmes":1ivewj5q said:
It was a bit of a joke. I mean if they are going to make him come out of the game and go to the tent then perform a proper exam while he is in there. Did anybody time how many seconds was he in the tent?

There is no doubt he wasn't tested completely in that short time. The question is, did THAT shot to the chin really require this because that happens often in the course of a game.

Reaction score
naholmes":3in0edwc said:

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/zbredg

Yes actually. See the link above for his complete concussion test.

Everyone watching the game got to see him blow it off.

Msfann

Reaction score
Do they always go through with the tests or can the doc decide it's not even needed.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
So the same ref that was calling a completely lopsided game, decides to pull RW for one play. Huh.

Interesting. ;)

Reaction score
Msfann":1prlc69a said:
Do they always go through with the tests or can the doc decide it's not even needed.

They must always complete the concussion protocol before returning to the game if sent off the field due to concussion concerns.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
naholmes":1xz4504s said:

I did, it was approximately 1.49 seconds.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seymour":2ugrqbct said:
QuickLightning":2ugrqbct said:
Seymour":2ugrqbct said:

Are you freaking serious ? You've never actually played football, have you.

First off, you definitely CAN get concussed by getting hit in the chin, thus snapping the head back and compressing the neck. Straight back is actually the easiest way to get a concussion as it compresses the brain stem where it comes in from the neck.

Secondly, when you're playing football, you have a mouth guard. When you clench and bite down on the mouth guard, it locks up your jaw and makes your jaw hinges much less likely to dislocate. When that happens, your head does take more force trauma. If mouth guards didn't do this, basically half of boxing matches would end up with broken or dislocated jaws.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2x72j84i said:
naholmes":2x72j84i said:

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/zbredg

Yes actually. See the link above for his complete concussion test.

Everyone watching the game got to see him blow it off.

Glad he blew it off. He shouldnt have had to come off the field.

Is Walt Anderson a doctor now? By rule, he can certainly force Russ off the field for a play, but he shouldnt have to go through a dog and pony show concussion test for no reason.

Again, be consistent Walt. Plenty of other players were ACTUALLY woozy last night. You didnt force them off the field.

All part of the sham IMO

253hawk

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":1i9gl4pt said:
So the same ref that was calling a completely lopsided game, decides to pull RW for one play. Huh.

Interesting. ;)

Now imagine this happening to a QB during a game-winning drive in the playoffs, because the ref thought he saw the QB get hit in the head. By the time he clears protocol, the backup has already come in and lost the game.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hawks46":3t2aq1bl said:
Seymour":3t2aq1bl said:
QuickLightning":3t2aq1bl said:
Seymour":3t2aq1bl said:

First off, you definitely CAN get concussed by getting hit in the chin, thus snapping the head back and compressing the neck. Straight back is actually the easiest way to get a concussion as it compresses the brain stem where it comes in from the neck.

Secondly, when you're playing football, you have a mouth guard. When you clench and bite down on the mouth guard, it locks up your jaw and makes your jaw hinges much less likely to dislocate. When that happens, your head does take more force trauma. If mouth guards didn't do this, basically half of boxing matches would end up with broken or dislocated jaws.

Probably all true.

Now tell us why Russ had to leave the field.....does every hit above the neck line end up with a concussion?? Just because a hit to the jaw COULD cause a concussion doesnt mean it does.....right?

Just wondering why Walt "randomly" chose that moment to force a concussion test. I probably saw 20 player reactions last night that were way more indicative of a concussion than what Russ was demonstrating after that hit

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawks46":2c7z4nbp said:
Seymour":2c7z4nbp said:
QuickLightning":2c7z4nbp said:
Seymour":2c7z4nbp said:

Actually I played QB in high school so move on. Where did I say you couldn't? I did not. I say it's not likely.

Perhaps you will be correct and we'll lose a draft pick. :2thumbs:

Boxers should probably be checked after every chin shot since this is such a hazard then. :roll:

Athletes run with their mouth slightly open to breath, try running with your mouth clinched, so bag that great idea too. :roll:

Also, his head did NOT snap back, go watch. So bag that idea as well.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Seymour":37bg8cww said:
Hawks46":37bg8cww said:
Seymour":37bg8cww said:
QuickLightning":37bg8cww said:

Actually I played QB in high school so move on. Where did I say you couldn't? I did not. I say it's not likely.

Perhaps you will be correct and we'll lose a draft pick. :2thumbs:

Boxers should probably be checked after every chin shot since this is such a hazard then. :roll:

Athletes run with their mouth slightly open to breath, try running with your mouth clinched, so bag that great idea too. :roll:
I don’t think you understand how concussions work. First of all, the understanding of concussions and head trauma has increased significantly in the last few years. The NFL has also come under increased scrutiny for not doing enough to protect players from said trauma.

Getting hit in the chin hard enough can absolutely lead to a concussion. Your head being violently tosseled can lead to a concussion without even being hit in the head. Sudden, violent impacts can cause the brain to move within the skull. This can lead to the bruising of the brain from the brain colliding with the skull. That was a brutal, dangerous hit that the cardinals player put on Wilson. It absolutely could have warranted a concussion check.

Latest posts