Lockett

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I love this kid. High character, class guy all the way. Hard worker, he's Baldwin Light.

But he's just off this year. He's not getting any explosive separation or plays in his returns. To me it's either:

A) He's still not 100% recovered from his injury last season

or

B) He's 100% covered but it's a mental battle he is fighting to convince his body he can make all the cuts and lateral movement at full speed without re-injuring himself.

I tend to think it's B. What do you think?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Can I say both?

I don't think he is fully 100% and I think he lost a step. I also think its in his head about reinjuring his leg again.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Option C....he's lost a step, but he also doesn't get the big lanes to run in that we used to have a few years back.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I agree, he's been just a little off the entire season. It shows on kick returns too.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
He's still recovering. Why is this a question?

Seymour

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":135swop4 said:

Because you forgot to tell us all that useful info?

Boycie

Reaction score
Aros":2bwbtml0 said:
I love this kid. High character, class guy all the way. Hard worker, he's Baldwin Light.

But he's just off this year. He's not getting any explosive separation or plays in his returns. To me it's either:

or

B) He's 100% covered but it's a mental battle he is fighting to convince his body he can make all the cuts and lateral movement at full speed without re-injuring himself.

Isn't he wearing a brace on his other knee right now? That might explain the loss of his giddyup.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I thought it was common knowledge he isn't 100% and that an injury of his type takes a long time to recover from. He was never going to be 100% this year. The bone was poking out if the Skin FFS. He won't be back to normal until next year. Clayton has been reporting all year he's not fully recovered. Again, i'm mystified that you are mystified. This should be expected.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Chukarhawk":2tcb090n said:

Because it's a message board.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m not sure a player can have the physical or mental presence to actually control how much effort they use without losing the sense of what is going on around them. I'm guessing they can, in a controlled environment, but when it's heltter Skelter as on the live grid iron, it seems to me, it's all or a fast way to get hurt. I'm going with A.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think as a joint you have the motion but maybe not stability and it feels off a bit till it gains it's strength back. Most have had a sprained ankle at one time, once the swelling goes down you can use it but it feels wrong and if you move the wrong way it can roll suddenly because everything is still stretched out and it's not strong. You think about it and are cautious as well. I think something similar is going on with Lockett, he is taking straight lines and no hard cuts and jukes and plants. He either doesn't trust it and is compensating or it's still not right and or both. I expect next season we see him a lot more like year one.

Exittium

Reaction score
I love Lockett and he’s become one hell of a WR but as for PR and Kr duties I think they need to start using McKissic. His speed is like Percy ..

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
His stats are pretty similar through out his 2 1/2 year career. Really isn't much drop off with the exception of him breaking a long run on a kick return and he had 6 TDs his rookie year (still 7 games left). Looks like his injury has kept him from improving but his is still having a decent year.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Exittium":56bbxdc1 said:
I love Lockett and he’s become one hell of a WR but as for PR and Kr duties I think they need to start using McKissic. His speed is like Percy ..

Well not in 40 time. Maybe game speed.

McKissic
Low 40: 4.5
High 40: 4.65

Harvin
Combine: 4.41

Lockett
Combine: 4.40

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Aros":2ppo0iu0 said:

or

It's funny that you posted this, as I was wondering about (and going to create a post about) the exact same thing. Clearly, he's not himself whatsoever. I mean, this is the Tyler Lockett that we've all been looking for and longing for all season long ...

[youtube]JjJoSeQxAa0[/youtube]

That ability to juke guys right out of their socks -- right there (see above) -- that's unfortunately just not who he is on the football field right now IMO. And unfortunately THAT is who this team is so desperately needing him to be once again.

Personally, I am thinking it's more Choice "A". Now, whether or not he ever fully gets back to the kind of player he was in the video above -- that's anybody's guess. I don't discount the possibility that (given enough time) that he will eventually get that top end speed cutting/juke ability back again ... but I don't know if that's going to happen this season. In general, I'm thinking that's more of a 2 year process, so we MAY perhaps start to see that more next year -- IF he continues to be a workout warrior and faithfully does the things he needs in order to get back to where he once was.

mikeak

Reaction score
On the first deep ball where there is contact and he doesn't catch it - he drew TWO defenders.

The play was wide open to I think a RB on the left. It would have been a TD

Point being he still draws defenders and have great moves. He can't help when he gets a defenders arm across his arms....

Now his returns are definitely less explosive

gonzhawk

Reaction score
I am still amazed that he is still playing professional football after that gruesome injury. I thought he was wrecked for good
after that injury. So yes he is not what he was, but to think he would be close to that for me is even a stretch. I hope he
can just hang in there.

The way he gets his ass kicked on returns and almost constantly crumpled into a little ball is getting unnerving. I think he is much more valuable as a receiver an leave it at that.

JimmyG

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":25gcf4zh said:
His stats are pretty similar through out his 2 1/2 year career. Really isn't much drop off with the exception of him breaking a long run on a kick return and he had 6 TDs his rookie year (still 7 games left). Looks like his injury has kept him from improving but his is still having a decent year.
Maybe it's just a case of "seeing what you want to see", but I feel like he doesn't pass the eye test. He just doesn't look that explosive to me on KR/PR. He was such a weapon in his rookie year back there. It just seems to me that the otherworldly agility isn't there anymore. Hopefully it comes back but I'm not seeing it right now.

Again, sometimes our eyes can be deceiving and there's maybe some confirmation bias at play, but I do feel like he's lost a step.