Poor refereeing in the final seconds

cheese22

Reaction score
When Russ' knee hit the ground there were 11 seconds on the clock and the clock stopped. Then the clock started when the ref announced it was ruled an incomplete pass, the clock should be at 11 or 12 seconds and start on the ref's signal because of the review. Otherwise, the offense is at the mercy of how long it takes the officials to decide to review. At the very least, it's a poor job of officiating because their indecision cost Seattle time.

I am not blaming this loss on the officials, at all. 14 pts at home against a banged up Washington defense is inexcusable.

I have never seen any team at any level in any sport that plays down (or up) to the level of their opponents like this team does. That's poor coaching.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
cheese22":y6fb3of2 said:
When Russ' knee hit the ground there were 11 seconds on the clock and the clock stopped. Then the clock started when the ref announced it was ruled an incomplete pass, the clock should be at 11 or 12 seconds and start on the ref's signal because of the review. Otherwise, the offense is at the mercy of how long it takes the officials to decide to review. At the very least, it's a poor job of officiating because their indecision cost Seattle time.

I am not blaming this loss on the officials, at all. 14 pts at home against a banged up Washington defense is inexcusable.

I have never seen any team at any level in any sport that plays down (or up) to the level of their opponents like this team does. That's poor coaching.

Incorrect. The clock started because the officials ruled Russell's knee was down. If they had ruled it was an incomplete pass it would have been at 11 seconds. But then if they had called it incomplete on the field and reviewed the play I believe there would have been a 10-second run off which would have only left one second anyway.

This was a bad game overall, this loss is mostly on coaching in my opinion, aside from Walsh's 3 missed field goals.

The receivers in the endzone should have caught the ball on the hail mary though.

OP
OP
cheese22

cheese22

Reaction score
The 10 second runoff is on an offensive penalty though, not for a review, right? Or the referees reaction time has too much bearing on the outcome. Are the referees obligated to hurry or can they go at the same place as they have for the other 59+ minutes?

Exittium

Reaction score
If was poor officiating all game. And very VERY onsided. Best example the holds and BS call on Sherman who played the exact play Norman did on Lockett

minormillikin

Reaction score
Blaming refs is just one of the phases of grieving a loss. I'm looking forward to the "acceptance" phase, but currently still in the "anger" phase.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
cheese22":3ert0ph5 said:
The 10 second runoff is on an offensive penalty though, not for a review, right? Or the referees reaction time has too much bearing on the outcome. Are the referees obligated to hurry or can they go at the same place as they have for the other 59+ minutes?

Yes there has to be a penalty for a 10 second run off or calling a timeout when you don't have one.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Realistically, Russ should have spiked the ball with 20 seconds left. I don't know what he was thinking.

Exittium

Reaction score
minormillikin":1z10njxn said:
Blaming refs is just one of the steps after grieving a loss. I'm looking forward to the "acceptance" phase, but currently still in the "anger" phase.
I'm not blaming then soley but they were definitely a factor. Not as much or inept as our coaches but close

OP
OP
cheese22

cheese22

Reaction score
minormillikin":tvuukj8h said:
Blaming refs is just one of the phases of grieving a loss. I'm looking forward to the "acceptance" phase, but currently still in the "anger" phase.

I stated in the op that I wasn't blaming them. Way too many Seahawk mistakes to blame the refs for. Shitty play calling, tons of penalties, 3 missed fg's and poor clock management, all on the Hawks.

The offense is so Jekyll and Hyde that I change the channel because of it. Unless Pete is telling Bevell what to do, this is on the OC.

JimmyG

Reaction score
cheese22":326e5272 said:
If anything, we lucked out a little bit. I mean think about it: Wilson was sacked on the play. The fact that there was ambiguity temporarily stopped the clock.The clock wasn't running and we were out of time outs-- how does that not benefit us?

Here's what things looked like on the sack:
Sb7dZwz

There were 11 seconds left on that point. If the was no confusion (i.e. properly called a sack immediately), the clock would've continued to run interrupted. Wilson would've had to get up off the ground, all of the linemen would've had to hurriedly get into position, the receivers (note how far downfield they are, 20+ yards) would've had to run back to the line of scrimmage, and we would've had to spike it to stop the clock for a last-second Hail Mary attempt. Now, it all still played out that way, but the confusion by the refs stalled things and gave our guys extra time to get back to the LOS.