Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

How do you feel now about Kam Chancellor's Extension

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

How do you feel about Kam Chancellor's 3 year 36 Million contract extension now?

I love it! Kam is the leader of defense.
45%
I am starting to have my doubts about it.
12%
I would have rather seen Kam play out his contract this year and then decide in the off season.
31%
I hate it, I knew it was a bad idea. You should never pay players based on their past performance if you want to maintain a winning franchise.
12%

Total votes : 128

• I was always against giving him the extension because he is 29 and I wanted him to have to play motivated this year. So far he has looked like a non factor out there to me. What do you guys think? I know it's early in the season...
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

• I suspect there will come a time this year that will change your mind about Kam. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Yeah Kam hasn't flashed this year but at the same time he hasn't hurt us. I agree they'll be a point in the season where we'll be thinking we got a bargin.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time behind Easley.

But we gave him a new contract more for his leadership on defense, rather than his play on the field. Still a good strong safety, but nowhere near his level of play 3-4 years ago.

Make no mistake, he's here because Pete wants his leadership to help control Richard and the other nonsense starters on that side of the ball. Doesn't mean it was a mistake to give him an extension, but IMO it was 70% leadership based, and only 30% performance on the field based.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Kam is still Kam, both on the field and off, but one thing I've noticed so far this season, is Kam has continued to grow as the leader of this defense. IMO ET is the man when it comes to on the field holding this defense together, but Kam is the glue that keeps all this high energy players playing as a single group instead of a bunch of individual talents when it comes to their mentality and keeping their head in the game.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• He was really bad last week. But he adds to the team more than he takes away.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

• Loved it then and still do. Kam's the leader on the defense, he's the one who finally cooled Sherm off when he was probably getting close to getting himself ejected.
    T-Hawk
    NET Practice Squad

• Need to have another middle of the road option. Like...Its fine, he will earn his money.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

• Kam was the first guy in the scrum on Sunday trying to pull Sherm out and calm him down. He's not only a leader, but also acts as almost a second tier coach to these guys. I really hope once he hangs them up, he stays within the organization
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    Hawk_Nation
    NET Veteran

• I still like it. Kam is still probably the best SS in the league. Dont like the bennett extension though, should have signed lang and whitworth.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• There might have been an answer like, "too early to say," and I'd have clicked that one.
    "God loves football, and He is particularly fond of the Seahawks!" :D :mrgreen:
    RastaHawk12!
    NET Veteran

• Many seem hooked on Kam's bad play when Demarco Murray made the entire defense look like high schoolers.

I also saw a play when Kam came off the left end and chase down the RB running to the other side of the field and tackle him for a minimal gain. That's something only great players do.
    Last edited by seahawkfreak on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• RussB wrote:Dont like the bennett extension though, should have signed lang and whitworth.

:roll:

Let's just gloss over the fact that Whitworth was never going to be an option for pretty obvious reasons.

Combined Lang and Whitworth are making $23.7M this year. Bennett is making $15M this year and that was just to front-load his deal.

Again.. this isn't Madden 2018. FA is so much more complex than "just throw some money at them!"
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• The extension was essentially through next year if you look at the structure of the deal and even 2018 isn't 100% a sure thing.

For the short term it's fine but there's no question to me that Kam 2017 is not Kam 2012/2013 in terms of play. Still very good but odds are that we won't see SB 48 Kam ever again.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    RussB wrote:Dont like the bennett extension though, should have signed lang and whitworth.

:roll:

Let's just gloss over the fact that Whitworth was never going to be an option for pretty obvious reasons.

Combined Lang and Whitworth are making $23.7M this year. Bennett is making $15M this year and that was just to front-load his deal.

Again.. this isn't Madden 2018. FA is so much more complex than "just throw some money at them!"

Joekel is also making money he doesnt deserve. Intead of resigning bennett, and signing joekel. They could have gotten, lang, whitworth, or both. It was a possibility.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

• The extension was deserved. He's a leader, well respected on the team, and played SB49 on one leg. That's enough for me to think he's worth it. If they can throw $8M to Luke Joeckel then Chancellor's deal is a bargain. Yes I know they don't play the same position but look at the value of the player. Kam is more important than Luke to this team. No doubt about it.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

• Kam is the least of this team's worries.
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

• Kam may end up getting the better end of his deal, but he was on the short side on his prior, so I have no issue given his contributions for putting the B in LOB over the years. He helped put this team on the map, and has left a literal impact on many throughout the league.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:I love Kam, he's my favorite Hawk of all time behind Easley.

But we gave him a new contract more for his leadership on defense, rather than his play on the field. Still a good strong safety, but nowhere near his level of play 3-4 years ago.

Make no mistake, he's here because Pete wants his leadership to help control Richard and the other nonsense starters on that side of the ball. Doesn't mean it was a mistake to give him an extension, but IMO it was 70% leadership based, and only 30% performance on the field based.

This is probably true.

But it's not just Kam (nowhere near his level of play 3-4 years ago).

Kam will go down as my top 3 favorite Seahawks player of all time

The Seahawks core is old now.

It's time for a full in house cleaning.
    "You know why I'm on Seahawks.net!" -Marshawn Lynch

Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Pete Carroll & Darrell Bevell be like: "Trust us--we're gonna outsmart them!"
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Starter

• I think this signing went from a

Why would you sign an aging vet to an extension before you have to?

To

A lesson on why you don’t sign an aging vet to an exit in before you have to.
    Last edited by edogg23 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

• He was playing some of his best football before the injury.
    hawknation2017
    NET Veteran

• He is out for the rest of the season but that doesn’t change my thought of him. He is the leader of this defense. Not another guy out there that I would rather have on this team.
    SUPERBOWL XL CHAMPS AND I HAVE THE SHIRT TO PROVE IT!
    zchurch74
    NET Rookie

• edogg23 wrote:I think this signing went from a

To

Only in your mind. :roll:
    If you don't show appreciation for your star players that play without reservations, that RISK their health (Kenny Easley), then you send the WRONG message across the League, and then good luck getting anyone else to even consider playing and leaving it all on the line for the Seattle 'cheapskates' Seahawks.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Hated it then, hate it now. We should have let him ride out on the final year. He is still a great safety, I just seriously questioned his longevity. I also assumed he would miss games this year. Ding fries are done.

I say this and I actually love Kam, I even have his jersey.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:
    edogg23 wrote:I think this signing went from a

To

If you don't show appreciation for your star players that play without reservations, that RISK their health (Kenny Easley), then you send the WRONG message across the League, and then good luck getting anyone else to even consider playing and leaving it all on the line for the Seattle 'cheapskates' Seahawks.

Tell that to the Patriots, who have routinely cast aside loyalty for championships
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Jerhawk wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

To

Tell that to the Patriots, who have routinely cast aside loyalty for championships

I keep seeing this argument being made about the Pats, but it's a lot easier to look good with this type of strategy (or really any strategy) when you have the best QB and coach of all time. We see examples of this across all sports, whether it's the Colts with Manning, the Heat with the Big 3, etc, where once the key players leave all of a sudden those who are left aren't the geniuses everyone thought they were.
    ducks41468
    NET Rookie

• Jerhawk wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

To

Is this the actual Patriots who went like a decade between Super Bowl wins, or the pretend Patriots who win the Super Bowl like all the time? Because I keep hearing about the second one but they don't seem to exist.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• I think hindsight is 20/20.
    * NET Staff *

• bmorepunk wrote:
    Is this the actual Patriots who went like a decade between Super Bowl wins, or the pretend Patriots who win the Super Bowl like all the time? Because I keep hearing about the second one but they don't seem to exist.

They've been to 7 out of the last 16 superbowls and won five. Also 11 of the last 16 AFC championship games. That's so far beyond what any other team has accomplished there's no point trying to denigrate it. In the same timespan, our team has been to three superbowls and won one. We have been to three NFC championships in that timeframe.

No one is saying that the Patriots are "won every superbowl possible" perfect, but the gap between them and the rest of the league is vast.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

• adeltaY wrote:
    bmorepunk wrote:

They've been to 7 out of the last 16 superbowls and won five. Also 11 of the last 16 AFC championship games. That's so far beyond what any other team has accomplished there's no point trying to denigrate it. In the same timespan, our team has been to three superbowls and won one. We have been to three NFC championships in that timeframe.

No one is saying that the Patriots are "won every superbowl possible" perfect, but the gap between them and the rest of the league is vast.

They've won a Super Bowl in less than 1/3rd of the seasons during the Brady/Belichick combo. They haven't won a Super Bowl in over 2/3rds of those seasons. They went nearly 10 years without winning one.

They are that much better than everyone else on average. But they haven't been as successful as they keep being made out to be in this forum. If everything they do is so right all of the time, how come they aren't more successful, particularly with the Brady/Belechick combo? Not everything they do is some amazing formula or process that other teams should copy.

There's a lot of complaining here about how if the Seahawks did this one thing or this other thing (often copying the Patriots) that somehow they'd just win another Super Bowl. But if Belechick and Brady couldn't do it for nearly a decade, how magical are these things, really?
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• Jerhawk wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

To

Why would I give a shit about telling UNETHICAL BASTARDS anything?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I always like to see guys get that money. So, liked the deal then and like it now.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• I don’t understand all of you to say it was a mistake to re-sign him. But then in another post you were so concerned that we are going to lose without him this week and the rest of the season.

On one hand you’re saying we shouldn’t of signed him in we don’t need him. On the other hand you’re saying the season is now over because he’s hurt. Which one is it?

Kam is very vital part of our defense. He is the original Boom in the LOB.
    SUPERBOWL XL CHAMPS AND I HAVE THE SHIRT TO PROVE IT!
    zchurch74
    NET Rookie

• zchurch74 wrote:I don’t understand all of you to say it was a mistake to re-sign him. But then in another post you were so concerned that we are going to lose without him this week and the rest of the season.

On one hand you’re saying we shouldn’t of signed him in we don’t need him. On the other hand you’re saying the season is now over because he’s hurt. Which one is it?

^^THIS^^ I too am one who believes in rewarding all out effort.
    There are some players who hold nothing back, going balls out on every play, and risk their everything.
    Kam Chancellor is an ALPHA WARRIOR.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• The very existence of this thread can eat a bowl of Ds.
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• zchurch74 wrote:I don’t understand all of you to say it was a mistake to re-sign him. But then in another post you were so concerned that we are going to lose without him this week and the rest of the season.

Exactly.

People just criticized Kam because they felt he was keeping us from another good offensive lineman. It was never about how well Kam himself was actually performing.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

I'm guessing because the Seahawks would've gotten a draft pick(s) for him and freed up cap room?

Was sorta on the fence about keeping Kam even though I was leaning slightly more towards preferring to keep him. Think they could've gotten a pretty big return and gotten a lot younger, or let him walk after the season collecting a 3rd comp pick and cap room if they felt he was declining. The Seahawks also apparently graded SS Delano Hill a 1st or 2nd round grade, so they might have a viable replacement already.

Am still certain I would've dealt Bennett, Sherman, Avril and let Graham go though...
    massari
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:
    zchurch74 wrote:I don’t understand all of you to say it was a mistake to re-sign him. But then in another post you were so concerned that we are going to lose without him this week and the rest of the season.

I'm guessing because the Seahawks would've gotten a draft pick(s) for him and freed up cap room?

Was sorta on the fence about keeping Kam even though I was leaning slightly more towards preferring to keep him. Think they could've gotten a pretty big return and gotten a lot younger, or let him walk after the season collecting a 3rd comp pick and cap room if they felt he was declining. The Seahawks also apparently graded SS Delano Hill a 1st or 2nd round grade, so they might have a viable replacement already.

Am still certain I would've dealt Bennett, Sherman, Avril and let Graham go though...

Who does Madden say we can get for dumping everyone all at once.

As far as resigning, I was of the mind he has been dinged, love the player and his heart but that's the time you try and trade when he is healthy again. After second contract you really have to look at the mileage on a player and how much punishment they take every game. Defenders are in collisions pretty much every play either in a tackle or getting blocked.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• nanomoz wrote:Hard to resist.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
    vin.couve12
    NET Veteran

• No way to predict injuries, it's football, these things happen.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:No way to predict injuries, it's football, these things happen.

I can think of one!

Seymour
    NET Veteran

• :cussing:
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:No way to predict injuries, it's football, these things happen.

He missed 11 games the last 3 years (2 bc of the hold out), when he only missed 1 game his first 4 years in the league.

He is a great player and leader, but his body seemed to be breaking down; and why I voted I wished we'd have let him play out the year.

Love the player, just don't think it was imperative to give him an extension.
    scrummymustard
    NET Rookie

• That's your opinion and that's cool. He is incredibly important to this team, in many ways. Leadership being one.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I thought it was a bad idea at the time. Then the season started and it's seemed like a really bad idea. He's been invisible all year and now his season and probably career is over. Not the front office's smartest move.
    keatonisballin
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:Kam is still Kam, both on the field and off, but one thing I've noticed so far this season, is Kam has continued to grow as the leader of this defense. IMO ET is the man when it comes to on the field holding this defense together, but Kam is the glue that keeps all this high energy players playing as a single group instead of a bunch of individual talents when it comes to their mentality and keeping their head in the game.

yeah yer right--thomas is the qb of the d--we saw this last year when he was out

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/10/11194382/sonics-arena-public-hearing-tip-off
    http://www.sonicsrising.com/2016/3/7/11 ... l-vacation
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    massari wrote:
    zchurch74 wrote:I don’t understand all of you to say it was a mistake to re-sign him. But then in another post you were so concerned that we are going to lose without him this week and the rest of the season.

Who does Madden say we can get for dumping everyone all at once.

1st for Sherman + cap room
    2nd for Bennett + cap room
    3rd for Avril + cap room
    $10M in cap room for Graham

Madden bless.
    massari
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information