Fair Weather Fans

Silverhawk5

Reaction score
I've been a Seahawks fan since 1983. I fell in love with the Seahawks watching a game with my dad on the arm of his lazy boy chair. Remember it like it was yesterday. I've lived through Kelly Stofuer, Dan Maguire, Stan Gelbaugh, Kitna, Moon, etc, along with Dennis Erickson, Tom Flores and Jim Mora Jr.. As a fan, I've always had the feeling that "this year is our year". I've lived outside of the state of Washington for the last 30 years in various cities in the western US. 10 years ago, if you saw anyone wearing Seahawks gear in public it was a true anomaly and a rare treat . Today, our Seahawks are beloved and I can't go to an airport or out in public without seeing a fellow 12. Why am I putting this out there? I have been reading the boards, as I faithfully do and I am seeing an almost intolerable amount of negativity. New fan or old, if you love the Seahawks, like I do, understand that we are in a golden age. We have an owner and coach in Allen/Carroll who have taken us to heights that most of us long timers could have never dreamed of. So to those of you who are losing their sh-t on a weekly basis, I share with you this, your Seahawks will continue to improve week by week and they will be in the mix at playoff time. Pete and company have proven this year after year after year. Relax. Enjoy the show (and the magic) stay positive, don't lose your sh-t in the early going, because our beloved Hawks will be there in the end, like they always have been, since Pete has been at the helm. Stay the course ladies and gentlemen "this is our year".

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Well said. No matter how ugly the offensive line may be right now, we should never fail to appreciate all the great things about Seahawks football at the moment. We have one of the most legendary defenses of all time. We have a franchise QB who is just 28 years old. We have a rookie running back in Chris Carson who is having an impressive start to his career. We have a Top 2 head coach who has won championships at both the college and pro level and has set all kinds of records along the way. The glass is still half full.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Silverhawk5":2xyduxb2 said:
I've been a Seahawks fan since 1983. I fell in love with the Seahawks watching a game with my dad on the arm of his lazy boy chair. Remember it like it was yesterday. I've lived through Kelly Stofuer, Dan Maguire, Stan Gelbaugh, Kitna, Moon, etc, along with Dennis Erickson, Tom Flores and Jim Mora Jr.. As a fan, I've always had the feeling that "this year is our year". I've lived outside of the state of Washington for the last 30 years in various cities in the western US. 10 years ago, if you saw anyone wearing Seahawks gear in public it was a true anomaly and a rare treat . Today, our Seahawks are beloved and I can't go to an airport or out in public without seeing a fellow 12. Why am I putting this out there? I have been reading the boards, as I faithfully do and I am seeing an almost intolerable amount of negativity. New fan or old, if you love the Seahawks, like I do, understand that we are in a golden age. We have an owner and coach in Allen/Carroll who have taken us to heights that most of us long timers could have never dreamed of. So to those of you who are losing their sh-t on a weekly basis, I share with you this, your Seahawks will continue to improve week by week and they will be in the mix at playoff time. Pete and company have proven this year after year after year. Relax. Enjoy the show (and the magic) stay positive, don't lose your sh-t in the early going, because our beloved Hawks will be there in the end, like they always have been, since Pete has been at the helm. Stay the course ladies and gentlemen "this is our year".

I have to echo your sentiment...I've followed this team since their inception and have loved them win or lose. I moved from Washington many years ago to 49er/Raider country and have fought the good fight and supported my team. It's weird now after being gone so long to go to CLink because seeing so many people wearing Seahawks colors is kind of overwhelming if you know what I mean. Anyway, I like you have seen a lot of new fans and success will bring that I suppose, and it's depressing to read so many negative posts here. This isn't the site I joined (old/new) 13 years ago. Be happy guys (I guess) is the message here, or seek happiness elsewhere by other means in another way. Frankly, I think this negativity is tedious at best.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Been a fan from the start when the KingDome was new and the 12's rocked it way back then.
I haven't been on this site for a real long time so I can't speak for too many.
The negative stuff on here got to me last year I admit and others as well.
It only gets to you if you allow it so that helps me with this year,otherwise it will eat you up.
Just enjoy the game because you can't control anything else regarding the Hawks or the way people feel.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2jsnnrvt said:
Been a fan from the start when the KingDome was new and the 12's rocked it way back then.
It only gets to you if you allow it so that helps me with this year,otherwise it will eat you up.
Just enjoy the game because you can't control anything else regarding the Hawks or the way people feel.

Very true. But here's a golden lining in all this beyond the website negativity; I actually bought season tickets for the Niners this year to give to clients and to simply to be able to watch our guys beat up on them this year. I went to the Carolina game last Sunday because my neighbor Ben plays special teams for the Panthers. After the game I was fortunate enough to meet Luke Kuechly and Cam which was pretty great. During halftime they retired Tom Rathmans' number. The stadium was pretty full at the start of the game, but it started emptying even before halftime. During the ceremony the seats were maybe 80% empty. I have a recording of it on my phone. People were getting drinks, bio breaks, etc...okay fine; but it seemed so disrespectful to me. Here's a guy who played great for the 9ers, was a part of their "Golden Era" and none of their "fans" gave a shit. I was embarrassed and saddened for Tom. I don't believe we would treat an honored member of our Seahawks fraternity in that fashion.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This is an Internet forum. It's for discussion. The most discussed topics will always be the extreme ones (on either side of the spectrum) . I don't think it too fair to judge the people in here or Hawks fans in general because of what you read on here.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3dlkosp6 said:
This is an Internet forum. It's for discussion. The most discussed topics will always be the extreme ones (on either side of the spectrum) . I don't think it too fair to judge the people in here or Hawks fans in general because of what you read on here.
BINGO! Well said sir! :2thumbs: :irishdrinkers:

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Silverhawk5":1hp98lan said:
I don't think it's negativity as much as it is recognizing the very rare opportunity to win it all. Everybody is a fair weather fan to some degree, it just might be more subtle. Winning makes you feel proud, makes you want to wear that hat. Losing a game may make you wear a different hat. Most people point at the "fair weather" as an excuse. I have gone through so much of this in Baltimore it would make your head spin. The biggest point I like to make is that I've been a fan for a long time but now they have noticed.

The discussions here are merely concern over the fact that we don't want to waste the golden era with avoidable problems.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":1icys47q said:
Silverhawk5":1icys47q said:
I don't think it's negativity as much as it is recognizing the very rare opportunity to win it all. Everybody is a fair weather fan to some degree, it just might be more subtle. Winning makes you feel proud, makes you want to wear that hat. Losing a game may make you wear a different hat. Most people point at the "fair weather" as an excuse. I have gone through so much of this in Baltimore it would make your head spin. The biggest point I like to make is that I've been a fan for a long time but now they have noticed.

The discussions here are merely concern over the fact that we don't want to waste the golden era with avoidable problems.
Money post right there! Exactly! :2thumbs:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
PlinytheCenter":e37b3qnc said:
IndyHawk":e37b3qnc said:

Very true. But here's a golden lining in all this beyond the website negativity; I actually bought season tickets for the Niners this year to give to clients and to simply to be able to watch our guys beat up on them this year. I went to the Carolina game last Sunday because my neighbor Ben plays special teams for the Panthers. After the game I was fortunate enough to meet Luke Kuechly and Cam which was pretty great. During halftime they retired Tom Rathmans' number. The stadium was pretty full at the start of the game, but it started emptying even before halftime. During the ceremony the seats were maybe 80% empty. I have a recording of it on my phone. People were getting drinks, bio breaks, etc...okay fine; but it seemed so disrespectful to me. Here's a guy who played great for the 9ers, was a part of their "Golden Era" and none of their "fans" gave a shit. I was embarrassed and saddened for Tom. I don't believe we would treat an honored member of our Seahawks fraternity in that fashion.

I was at the game in January with Riverdog. Our game that is.

Tom Rathman was awesome in his day. He did earn the respect of the fans, but obviously the fan base has changed. They dont know who he is or his contribution to the team back in the day. I agree with you Pliny.

To the OP...yes the fanbase has changed and with it the attitude and concerns are more exponential as the fear that we may lose our opportunity, et al window. I am also enjoying the ride to a certain extent. I shall keep enjoying the ride til they kick me off.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the ride since 1976. Even in the losing seasons I have found enjoyment. This is easily The Golden Age of Seahawks football. The Knox era was fun and exciting. The Holmgren era was great and almost got us there. This era is the best in terms of success and i am enjoying the ride like no other. Worrying about a window closing or wringing your hands over some ineptitude detracts from the big picture. The offense is experiencing some trouble, but I know they will figure it out. And that defense?! I think it is the best we've seen. Enjoy the ride for what it is.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Most of the discussion is interesting, and I agree it is not a direct reflection of what kind of fan anyone is. What I see as a negative are the endless diatribes that seem to operate under the assumption that any opinion here matters. Every time I read "I demand...", I just shake my head.

cymatica

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1t8vd7qt said:

Yup. A lot of it is just frustrations being vented. It's because this team is so good that people overreact when they see a part of the team perform so badly

HOLLYWOOD

Reaction score
This is our first Golden Era of the franchise imo. Weve been competitive in just about every game we've been in for several seasons now. That's pretty incredible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Passepartout

Reaction score
Love the Hawks since 1986 the year I began to love football. And really that thick and thin and mountains and valleys of fans of Seattle Seahawks been loyal to them no matter what.

Seymour

Reaction score
It's not all fair weather fans. Admit it or not, there still is some tension from this. And there will be until we move 100% past it which winning it all will do. That may or may not happen....so hang on.

Giphy

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
I think that this is a good post because it revolves around the meta-discussion of what it means to be a fan. I feel like your take on fandom (and many other folks on this board) is actually closer to devotion. You're kind of a "my team right or wrong" kinda fella. I've enjoyed watching the Hawks over the past 15 years or so and I won't become a fan of another team but I'm also not going to delude myself about the state of the franchise. For a lot of folks like yourself, sports teams are something that you are in awe of and saying anything negative about your beloved team is blasphemy. That is not nor will it ever be my fandom. I feel like this era of the Hawks (Pete Carroll era) is on the decline and we only have a few years (at most) of the Pete Carroll Hawks left. Listen, the Seahawks are a business and as a consumer of their product, I will complain if I feel that they are putting out something substandard. As a fan, I want a team that is realistically in Super Bowl contention every year. I realize that this is a lofty goal and you may be the kind of fan who is just happy to watch a game. So be it. Our fandoms are different and folks like you will keep on thinking that the Hawks are Super Bowl bound and while folks like me will view this as their beloved yet fatally flawed team that is soon to be rebooted. I'm OK with being called a "fair weather fan" because I think that kind of fan is more honest and has a healthier relationship with their teams than true believers like yourself.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Sooo because for the majority of our teams existence we sucked means now we can't bitch because we have a pathetic offense going on 3 years now with very good players on that side of the ball ? Guess we should all be Ok with playing well below the team's potential .

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of rah rah holier than thou bs. Yes, let's all cuddle up with our Seahawk stuffed animals and sing in harmony the praises of our team. Let's all give Blitz a big, warm hug, take our Hawk lunchpails to school, pick daisies in the meadow and never question the decisions of coaching staff who can do no wrong. Just enjoy the humor in defeat and bust a nut over wildcard wins.

I've been a diehard fan of this team since the 70s and I have the right to be as joyous, excited, pissed off, disappointed or however I choose to view this franchise or the direction it's heading as I want to be. Serious arrogance, audacity and naivete on this site evidently exists for people to tell others they are "entitled" or "spoiled" or "fair-weathered." So anyone telling me or others how to feel about this organization can get out.