Bobby Wagner story on mmqb

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I am dumbfounded. I came on here to read folks thoughts and it's not a thread on here yet?

I never start threads like this I read stuff and then theres already like 50 posts in a thread about it here?

I mean I read the piece hours ago while I ate lunch..... off season in deed I guess.

anyway here you go.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/29/nfl- ... e-seahawks

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3hp6ot18 said:
I am dumbfounded. I came on here to read folks thoughts and it's not a thread on here yet?

I never start threads like this I read stuff and then theres already like 50 posts in a thread about it here?

I mean I read the piece hours ago while I ate lunch..... off season in deed I guess.

anyway here you go.

Great find, thanks for posting! :2thumbs:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Said it before and I'll say it again, Wagner and Bowman have the best overall ability I've seen since Junior Seau. They have no weaknesses what so ever and with Bowman's two huge injuries, Wagner has a bit of a....leg...up on him too.
:pukeface: That just made me think of dude's leg.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The second best part of having a player like Wagner is that he will be here for a long time. MLB's tend to have very long careers.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Wagner is a stud.

Hope he keeps playing at this level for another few seasons at least.

Jville

Reaction score
gowazzu02":1iw8g221 said:

anyway here you go.

Thanks for posting. :2thumbs: I really really like the article.

I do think the article's scope and detail are a little overwhelming for many. And there are some inconvenient insights offered that dismiss many favorite precepts seen here on the forum ....... such as ......
“The game is more mental than physical,” Wagner, a three-time All-Pro, says. “There are guys out there that run 6.0-second 40s but beat guys that run a 4.2 to the ball every play. It’s because they do so much film study, to the point where they know where the play is going, or have an educated guess.”

and the multi-year process ......
Early on, he was consumed with learning the defensive playbook and the weekly game plan constructed by the coaches. Once that became second nature, he was freed up to study what opposing offenses are trying to do against Seattle’s defense. From there, he could start to develop what some defensive coordinators like to call an individual game plan within the team’s game plan. Based on film study and accrued experiences, Wagner has a library of tendencies and tells that informs when and how he can make the big plays that stand out on highlight reels.

“The more and more you play in this league, you just kind of know what to look at,” Wagner says.

and telegraphing ......
There are certain offensive players in the league who, Wagner says, tighten their gloves before the snap if they know they are going to get the ball. Wagner mentally logs which backs prefer to make a cut to the left or to the right, and which linemen have trouble blocking toward a certain direction. The best players look the same regardless of the play or their responsibility, but many struggle without even realizing the secrets they’re leaking.

and ......
Discerning between a run and a pass play before the snap may come down to subtle clues, such as offensive linemen’s fingers. On a run play, where the linemen plow forward, the pressure in their fingers may be slightly heavier than it would be for a pass set, in which they drift backward. One of the most colorful reads Wagner describes is something the Seahawks call “elephants on parade.” Yes, he’s talking about the offensive linemen, all at once opening up to one side and running in that direction. The rule of thumb: Don’t be fooled. It’s most likely a play-action fake, with a pass the other direction.

All of that kind of gets in the way of demanding immediate results, simpleton blame and emotional hysteria.

Keep posting ....... I'd much rather someone else make the links to quality articles and presentations.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
No doubt. That's kind of a football junky/geek kind of article. I do think that many of these things are taught at high levels of high school and college, but you're always swimming in playbooks and terminology/language so much that you don't really get to fully digest all pieces of it all until you can sort of settle in. Also, I think real mental football growth takes place in those first few years of the NFL given that players can just focus on football on not be inundated with things like school...and whatever else too, but energy is finite and it makes a difference bigtime.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Really nice piece.

MMQB has had some great content of late (I'd go as far to say 4-5 solid pieces per week, which is a crazy god hit rate considering they're only publishing 3 or so pieces a day M-F).