Seahawks 2016 And USC 2009 Meltdowns

sdog1981

Reaction score
On KJR this afternoon Softy had Petros Papadakis on who is a USC insider. Petros was talking about Pete's double standards with QB's undermined his 2009 USC team and the same thing is happening with the Seahawks now. I can kind of see where he is coming from. The team has double standards now, this is not the Pete that will fire a coach or cut a player that is not on his level. This was also rolled into the Seahawks locker room dissension story from last week.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Petros loves being the voice of doom.

Pete chose Barkley because he was the best candidate. He was a leader. Aaron Corp crumbled under pressure (as seen when USC played Washington that year). Mitch Mustain was inconsistent.

Pete may or may not "favor" his QB, but that hardly makes him different from other coaches. Do you think Belichick favors Brady? Do you think Aaron is favored in Green Bay? Big Ben in Pittsburgh? Franchise QBs don't grow on trees and in the current NFL they get lots of attention. If the guys on D don't like that, they need a reality check.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
sc85sis":395yvsf5 said:
Petros loves being the voice of doom.

Pete chose Barkley because he was the best candidate. He was a leader. Aaron Corp crumbled under pressure (as seen when USC played Washington that year). Mitch Mustain was inconsistent.

If the guys on D don't like that, they need a reality check.

Crop was garbage, Mustain was supposed to be the chosen one (He did get Gus Malzahn started)

Yeah if a player on the D is not aware that in the NFL starting QB's are basically a part of the ownership group. That is why they are called franchise QB's. But I can also see how the defensive players would think that Pete and Russell are too positive.

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't so much mind Softy, but that Petro's is a known Hawk troll on his show regularly, and I have no idea why he even gives the ass the air time. Sometimes he has something decent to say, but not usually when I've heard him.

Newsflash....Every top 5-7 QB gets preferential treatment. It's the way of NFL life. Russell has his faults no doubt, but I'll take them over all but a very select couple of others.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
sdog1981":1z9hz1vy said:
On KJR this afternoon Softy had Petros Papadakis on who is a USC insider. Petros was talking about Pete's double standards with QB's undermined his 2009 USC team and the same thing is happening with the Seahawks now. I can kind of see where he is coming from. The team has double standards now, this is not the Pete that will fire a coach or cut a player that is not on his level. This was also rolled into the Seahawks locker room dissension story from last week.

What is the team supposed to do about Wilson? And in general, why would they do anything? And even more so, what players on D are being held to a standard Wilson is not?

People are losing their minds about a season that was marred by injury, inconsistency, a couple individual blow ups and still 10-5-1 and a playoff win. It's not rocket science or Greek philosophy. What player had a career year? What player even played to their average? Still.. 10 wins.

The jackals areall over the Hawks right now. It's kinda funny. I think they've earned the fans trust, for atleast a season, to see if they can claw back to elite.

If they are healthy, still moaning and can't scrape past 10 wins and a divisional playoff game...then all of these stories have merit.

Just one fans opinion.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2j2ernhk said:
sdog1981":2j2ernhk said:

What is the team supposed to do about Wilson? And in general, why would they do anything? And even more so, what players on D are being held to a standard Wilson is not?

People are losing their minds about a season that was marred by injury, inconsistency, a couple individual blow ups and still 10-5-1 and a playoff win. It's not rocket science or Greek philosophy. What player had a career year? What player even played to their average? Still.. 10 wins.

The jackals areall over the Hawks right now. It's kinda funny. I think they've earned the fans trust, for atleast a season, to see if they can claw back to elite.

If they are healthy, still moaning and can't scrape past 10 wins and a divisional playoff game...then all of these stories have merit.

Just one fans opinion.

Exactly! And I'd as Sherm the same question since he wants Pete to call him out in front of the team.

Should they tar and feather him? Shame him in front of the team and make him sit in the back of the bus? Think this whole thing through from any side and it is ridiculous to expect some "call out event" to change the fortunes of the team.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
I know it is not Wilson's style, but I would have like to see him yelling at offensive players last season for playing like complete garbage. This is year 5 with the same HC/OC this offense should be clicking on all cylinders.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":1l3im0cq said:
Uncle Si":1l3im0cq said:
sdog1981":1l3im0cq said:

Just one fans opinion.

Exactly! And I'd as Sherm the same question since he wants Pete to call him out in front of the team.

Should they tar and feather him? Shame him in front of the team and make him sit in the back of the bus? Think this whole thing through from any side and it is ridiculous to expect some "call out event" to change the fortunes of the team.

Does he? Because he's never said that.

Seymour

Reaction score
sdog1981":2fj72i7e said:
I know it is not Wilson's style, but I would have like to see him yelling at offensive players last season for playing like complete garbage. This is year 5 with the same HC/OC this offense should be clicking on all cylinders.

I don't know that yelling at a basketball player twice your size is a great idea, not Wilsons style, not Pete's either. Was what it was, not our year in many ways. This doesn't have to be the same, and Russell will prove the doubters wrong once again.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1tcgvbuv said:
People are losing their minds about a season that was marred by injury, inconsistency, a couple individual blow ups

The thing is...that's every team, every year.

Jville

Reaction score
Just to clarify, Pete Carroll did relieve running back coach Sherman Smith of his duties this off season. There were also numerous players Pete and John chose not to resign.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Carroll was a Top 2 HC in CFB, & he is a Top 2 HC in the NFL now.

The similarities between '16 Seahawks and '09 Trojans are injuries, particularly on defense. '09 USC led the Pac-10 in scoring defense, shutdown a very good Ohio State team on the road that year, and won their bowl game against Matt Ryan. But they had a bunch of injuries that ended Carroll's seven-year streak of Top 4 finishes. Because of the injuries, '16 Seahawks and '09 Trojans each ended Carroll's long streaks of not losing by more than 10 points (NFL & CFB records).

Once again, Seahawks are considered one of the best teams in the league heading into the season. Reason numero uno for that is Pete Carroll.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1sipn97c said:
Seymour":1sipn97c said:
Uncle Si":1sipn97c said:
sdog1981":1sipn97c said:

Just one fans opinion.

Does he? Because he's never said that.

According to Sherman Smith he has. And also, you have no way of knowing that he's never said that now do you?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":yvfs81yt said:
According to Sherman Smith he has. And also, you have no way of knowing that he's never said that now do you?

What a strange perspective. We also have absolutely no way of knowing he has... except the words of one fired coach, who never actually said that anyways. One coach... of the 100s of people surrounding the team. So you're wishing to believe the inference of one person over the silence of scores of others?

Its speculative nonsense and I've never really understood why people get so emotionally attached to it.

Either way, this thread wasn't about Sherman. It was about Carroll and Wilson. You have your Sherman threads to work in.

Seymour

Reaction score
Strange? To you possibly I suppose.

I find it far more strange to speculate on silence as you are attempting. We hear less than 1% of what goes on in the locker room, so yes, I'll take a former player and coaches word over most.

To me....if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, it's a duck.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":18hxxee3 said:
Has nothing to do with how the 2017 team will play.

I 100% agree with you.

Problem is, the thread title is 2016 Meltdowns so that is the discussion.

Hyak

Reaction score
I think the whole idea of double standards gets thrown around without any real meat to it. We do know that both Pete and Wilson are uber positive people so expecting them to throw people under the bus right and left in public just isn't in their DNA.

When I see 2016 in it's totality, injuries were the single biggest factor in the relatively average year. Wilson got hurt in week 1 and never was completely healthy. Rawls was not healthy until the playoffs and RB in general was constantly changing week to week. Arguably their best player missed the last third of the season. Kam missed a handful of games and Sherman played hurt for the 2nd half. Bennett missed a few games.

The other elephant in the room other that some guys still obsessing over the end of SB XLIX is that the 2015/2016 teams were not nearly as talented on the backend of the roster as say 2012-2014.

I also think some USC fans resent how Pete left with sanctions coming and have some desire to see him fail.

Latest posts