John Schneider & Pete Carroll Draft Day 1 Press Conference

Jville

Reaction score
Day one review from the "real participants" ......

Video >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/video/2017/04/27/john-schneider-pete-carroll-draft-day-1-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

MP3 audio >>> [urltargetblank]http://prod.video.seahawks.clubs.nfl.com/SEA/videos/dct/video_audio/2017/04-April/170427presser-32k.mp3[/urltargetblank]

It might be worth reminding those who struggle with John and Pete decisions that they are working off the draft board they spent a lot of money assembling..... not your board or the board of anyone else.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
For those who like playing with numbers, here is one analysts table of remaining draft capital coming out of day one and going into the second day.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/scott_peterson4/status/857954509867302912[/tweet]

EDIT: Apparently Peterson made some corrections posted below ......
[tweet]https://twitter.com/scott_peterson4/status/857966892551512064[/tweet]

mistaowen

Reaction score
Incredible amount of picks tonight with a lot of players who fit this team still available. I like how JS points out there are a lot of players with first round grades still available. I imagine they'll trade up into the second for another pick with how many 3rd's they have.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't necessarily have a problem with the trades. In fact, with the number of quality players available still on the board -- I agree with them.

What it's going to come down to for me, is who they finally had targeted. There is a lot of talent on the board, but if we Paul Richardson this draft (yet again) -- then to me that validates one specific opinion that was floated at the time of Pete's signing as coach.

Specifically, the idea that Pete's success in the draft was going to be a direct function of his familiarity with the prospects that he knew from his time at USC. That once that advantage expired as his tenure in the NFL continued -- that he'd no longer be as capable of making the same shrewd moves that he could with his insider's knowledge of prospects.

Right now, that opinion has largely been justified. He's not come close to replicating the success he had when he was more familiar with the players coming out. And that's a trend that has started since 2014 and has persisted largely to today.

If we make these good draft capital moves, and end up with a Cam Robinson type who we end up in 2018 having to yet again try to solve our OT problem because we spent our first pick on yet another Carpenter/Britt type of prospect -- then these smart trades will be all for naught and we will have thrown away yet another opportunity to add to the next core group of players.

This team is getting older. And we're not adding new championship caliber talent. Much of that, is due to just available talent. But we're also not solving roster problems at any level anymore now. We're just getting guys who aren't worth resigning.

I don't struggle with the trade decisions. I'm struggling with how they vet their top picks to begin with. Seems like they fall in love with all of the wrong players. While Clark was a great pick -- from the sounds of their draft day discussions, he kind of fell into their laps. They admitted 'having to take a pass rusher because they were all going to be gone'. That's not indicative of a player they really wanted and directed draft strategy to acquire. Lockett they definitely targeted. But beyond that we've just been missing on our early draft boards heavily.

Today is kind of my make or break draft day for this FO. If they fumble this one that'll be 4 straight bungled drafts. Right at the point where some critics predicted back in 2010. And while I disagreed with their prognostication at the time, feeling like we had to at least let it unfold -- I can't disagree that the direct results of the 2014-16 drafts have unfolded exactly as predicted.

We can't afford to have a 4th straight bottom 10 draft result. That's 4 straight years that the rest of the NFL is gaining ground and passing this team by. That's how a team goes from championship window to full tear down/rebuild.

We fall flat on our faces today (especially when there is no excuse or justification why a competent FO should), and I'll be the newest member of the pitchfork brigade.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It comes down to did we address our greatest need? Right now the answer is hell no. We did help our competition address theirs though. If JS & Pete get very very lucky once again and find that kid in the late rounds that no one else has heard of who can step in and start from day one and excel at that need... which this draft is protecting our QB... then all angst will be forgotten and they will once again be termed Draft Geniuses as they were when they drafted the QB who's career they are risking. If rolling those dice comes up craps though .....

Russell wilson hit rams

.... and especially if the OT they passed on excels then these two may be on their way to unemployment.

Boycie

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2crp0oup said:
It comes down to did we address our greatest need? Right now the answer is hell no. We did help our competition address theirs though. If JS & Pete get very very lucky once again and find that kid in the late rounds that no one else has heard of who can step in and start from day one and excel at that need... which this draft is protecting our QB... then all angst will be forgotten and they will once again be termed Draft Geniuses as they were when they drafted the QB who's career they are risking. If rolling those dice comes up craps though .....

Russell wilson hit rams

.... and especially if the OT they passed on excels then these two may be on their way to unemployment.

How many o-line have we drafted in round 1 in since 2010? 3, and only 1 was fairly decent (Okung).

Its not like they haven't tried, and this years class isn't deep at all, so take BPA, or grab picks like they have.

I love what they have done. Our secondary needs to be refreshed, and we are sitting pretty to address this with the 2nd pick in the 2nd round, and I wouldn't be surprised if we traded up in round 2 to grab another DB who has fallen from the 1st into the 2nd round.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Thank you, but I think I'll wait for RW92's press conference.

mikeak

Reaction score
brimsalabim":7u966kwl said:
It comes down to did we address our greatest need? Right now the answer is hell no. We did help our competition address theirs though. .

The 49ers gain from our trade is debatable

The 49ers gain from Chicago's stupidity and panic attack is not debatable........I

With that said it is hard for me to argue that 49ers is going to get much better by getting more 3rd round picks and Seattle is not getting better by the 3rd round pick we received so will stay quiet on that point :)

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3d5r0u3l said:

I can visualize that ... given that his 1st round wish was for Reuben Foster. It might make for an epic meltdown ...

[youtube]oqg1C7c6dBc[/youtube]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jville":23xzcxqu said:
For those who like playing with numbers, here is one analysts table of remaining draft capital coming out of day one and going into the second day.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/scott_peterson4/status/857954509867302912[/tweet]

EDIT: Apparently Peterson made some corrections posted below ......

I don't say this as a complaint about the strategy, but this type of analysis is a little misleading. If the Seahawks keep trading back, they'll constantly be at the top of this board. But would that be a good thing? If the Hawks owned every pick in the 7th round, they'd rock on this type of analysis tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Again, not saying that this is what they are doing or that what the Hawks have done is bad, just not a fan of this as a defense of it.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Oh my god, we let them get a "can't miss linebacker" what will we ever do!

I remember not so long ago we drafted a "can't miss linebacker" at #4, and that worked out so great. The problem with can't miss is, it can, and often does miss.

Seafan

Reaction score
tacomahawk":2t6ax9nx said:
Oh my god, we let them get a "can't miss linebacker" what will we ever do!

I remember not so long ago we drafted a "can't miss linebacker" at #4, and that worked out so great. The problem with can't miss is, it can, and often does miss.

And a LB who weighs less than Kam Chancellor. :pukeface:

Hyak

Reaction score
Regarding Foster, he had the medical plus the diluted drug test while also playing the position that our All-Pro MLB plays.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
HawkGA":3w125zdw said:
Jville":3w125zdw said:

I don't say this as a complaint about the strategy, but this type of analysis is a little misleading. If the Seahawks keep trading back, they'll constantly be at the top of this board. But would that be a good thing? If the Hawks owned every pick in the 7th round, they'd rock on this type of analysis tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Again, not saying that this is what they are doing or that what the Hawks have done is bad, just not a fan of this as a defense of it.

Regarding the chart >>> Your reading into it ....... that which isn't there.

It's just a draft capital chart for the beginning of day two. It resulted from how day 1 events unfolded.

Seahawks1Fan

Reaction score
I know that Foster had a good career at Bama but I just don't understand all the angst about not getting him.
He slid from a potential top 5 pick to 31. That doesn't raise any red flags to you guys losing your minds about us not getting him?

Now there are reports that his injured shoulder (that he had surgery on in January I believe) my require additional surgery.

Of course he could still turn out to be a stud but to freak out because we didn't draft this guy who also allegedly has several character concerns is a little odd to me.

And besides, isn't his natural position the same position as our terrific All World Linebacker Bobby Wagner?
Maybe Foster could slide to the SAM or maybe he can't. If not, then what?

Give me Wagner any day of the week and twice on Sunday!!!

Just my two cents!

White Devil

Reaction score
Seanhawk":57cv0f9z said:

kpSbrAg.gif

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Ok let me simply then. Teams we already couldn't block added more guys we cannot block while we countered with zippola.

White Devil

Reaction score
brimsalabim":4sfqkfyu said:
Ok let me simply then. Teams we already couldn't block added more guys we cannot block while we countered with zippola.

This line of thinking means that nobody playing on the line today has improved in the least bit after having a full season in the scheme and training in another offseason.

That's why it doesn't work. The front office has consistently said they believe they were too young last year on the line. Guess what? Now, they all have a year in the system and another offseason training program. If you think they've just been laying around eating cheeto's the last couple of months, then I can understand your issue. They're going to pick up 1 or 2 pieces to throw in the mix, but for the most part, the o-line is set. I don't think they can be any clearer in this.