Thoughts on next year

Ozzy

Reaction score
I know its too soon but I'm pretty excited about next year. In a year when everything went wrong we still won 10 games, the division and a playoff game.

We also have a ton of pieces in place with all 22 starters possibly coming back and a lot of cap room to fill in the obvious gaps we've bitched about all year. Positives for the offense are that your skill position guys are in place. I love a Rawls/Prosise combination. Assuming Lockett comes back I am more than fine with Baldwin, Lockett and Richardson going forward and Graham/Vannett at TE allows us to do multiple things at that position. The ugly part is the offensive line and the tackles. Gilliam actually played better than people realize down the stretch. Even one key signing there could make this offense on par with any other in the division. I'll leave Bevell out of this. I've been fairly frustrated with him but he's not going anywhere and if you fix the line he's capable of not derailing us. Bottom line: add a piece or two the oline(and you can't afford to miss again) and this team is in great shape going forward.

uncle fester

Reaction score
I agree with you on the WR/TE situation. Lots of safe hands, mostly young players, and Richardson & Lockett add speed in there too. Wouldn't mind if JS passes on the positions in the Draft (though I doubt he will) to focus on others.

I'd love to see Marcel Reece re-signed at FB and blocking for Rawls/ Prosise. All three on their game would be a handful for any opposition.

The rest? No idea.

cajunhawk

Reaction score
Bevell has to go. If he doesn't go...the downward spiral will continue.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
uncle fester":2plo9lzn said:
I agree with you on the WR/TE situation. Lots of safe hands, mostly young players, and Richardson & Lockett add speed in there too. Wouldn't mind if JS passes on the positions in the Draft (though I doubt he will) to focus on others.

I'd love to see Marcel Reece re-signed at FB and blocking for Rawls/ Prosise. All three on their game would be a handful for any opposition.

The rest? No idea.

Reece was a pleasant surprise. He was more than a capable FB but actually a weapon for us. Really hope they find a way to keep him as well.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
We really need help at RB as well. Rawls body will not last with his style. Collins showed enough of a spark to keep around, but still needs a ton of work. Prosise has a history of injury, and has been mostly injured here. I love him when he is on the field, problem is he is never on the field.

Our identity was smashmouth run. It covered up our lack of a carefully calculated offensive strategy. We didn't have to gameplan expose and take advantage of opposing teams weaknesses. Running the ball opened up our very vanilla passing game.

Without a bruiser at that position, it has really exposed our OC and lack of ability to adjust. As Pete won't get rid of Bevell, we have to do something else to cover up his ineptitude.

GLio14

Reaction score
uncle fester":12e9vbo1 said:

The rest? No idea.

Definitely keep Reece. I'd give him a 2 year deal. He's been great in his time here.

classicaaron

Reaction score
maybe im still bitter about the way this season went but I see us trending down instead of up. we win the division because its terrible and we lose in the wild card round. now if the team decides to do a soft rebuild and get some new blood in, some new coaches then things may turn around. but I don't see that happening.

Hawks46

Reaction score
People don't realize this, but our team actually got younger last year, and we were the 10th youngest roster in the league.

IF players develop, we're going to be scary next year.

Also, it seems like Wilson was just off this year. Not his fault; not many QBs outside of Favre could fight through all those injuries and still have a better than average season...especially with that OL. I think it will do good for the team in general to reset and come back hungry again. It also gives us extra time to heal some guys up.

This is also the 2nd consecutive time where we've been bounced in the divisional round. Hopefully it gets guys fired up and working together to get to the next level.

I'm actually pretty excited for the draft. It's shaping up to be a great draft for our needs (outside of the OL, which should develop).

StoneCold

Reaction score
I agree, next year is looking good. I expect the Oline to be improved by both experience and adding players. Defense needs more depth on the backend as we couldn't survive the injuries. O honestly don't know why we couldn't get more pressure on Ryan, but something on the Dline also needs improving. And even if only some of that happens we still look like a 10+ team.

Atlanta game exposed those areas...Of course, if not for that one series where we held on the punt return and then gave up a safety that game would have... :) On to next year.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Oline needs major improvement and Bevell needs his walking papers. Those are my thoughts.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
More talent on the O line, secondary depth and provide Bevell a lucrative contract extension.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
Sioux you couldn't help yourself lol. I don't want to turn this into a Bevell thread but I really wish we would see more stack formations like Shanahan used to get Julio space. Dallas was smart in how they lined up Dez as well near the goal line. Graham had 16+ red zone TD's for New Orleans and has 2 for us. Don't tell me there aren't better ways to scheme him open, he was double teamed and bracketed just as often there as is Julio, Dez and every other big elite target in the NFL. It was unstoppable near the goal line. That's were Bevell is falling short and literally ever NFL mind I've seen the past few days have criticized him for. I know you won't admit that but its true. Having said that fix the line and the offense even with Bevell can be very, very good.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":2n209sun said:
Sioux you couldn't help yourself lol. I don't want to turn this into a Bevell thread but I really wish we would see more stack formations like Shanahan used to get Julio space. Dallas was smart in how they lined up Dez as well near the goal line. Graham had 16+ red zone TD's for New Orleans and has 2 for us. Don't tell me there aren't better ways to scheme him open, he was double teamed and bracketed just as often there as is Julio, Dez and every other big elite target in the NFL. It was unstoppable near the goal line. That's were Bevell is falling short and literally ever NFL mind I've seen the past few days have criticized him for. I know you won't admit that but its true. Having said that fix the line and the offense even with Bevell can be very, very good.
Hi Austin. I didn't watch Atlanta much in the regular season, but based on Saturday, I didn't see passing concepts that were far different than what we use. And Julio had his share of single coverage from Sherm, Shead and then Elliott. What I saw is that they kicked our butts on both sides of the line and then executed. Matty Ice just picked us apart in the second half.

And of course I'm going to counter the not-well-thought-out comments regarding our coaching staff.

StoneCold

Reaction score
About our Oline philosophy. We skimp on the Oline. People say we got away with it because of Marshawn's punishing style and Russell's mobility, and there is some truth to that. But last year, with our patchwork Oline, Rawls was going nuts before the injury, and Russell (and Bevell) had one of the greatest second half's in Seahawk History, shows it can work. But it is a high wore act. One I think didn't come together this year. Not sure that means it's a failed strategy and should be abandoned, or that the coach should be fired, just acknowledging it has its risks. On the other side it has its rewards. Core players on both sides signed to long term contracts. Every team takes risks and our guys choose to do it on the Oline.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
So you've seen Bevell used a stack formation at the goal line to free Graham? Tell me more. I'm being serious. I would love to hear that we have and I've just missed it. I get you're a Bevell fan and I think there are good arguments for him. Where you lose me is your insistence that he's perfect or can't do better. I haven't seen even a hint of constructive criticism from you ever. I don't mean to be a jerk because I like you but it makes it hard to take your posts serious at times. I think there are valid arguments both ways regarding him and anyone who's objective would probably agree. We've had multiple ex players this year question him on that very regard during broadcasts this year. From Lynch, Aikman, Collingsworth and others have all seem surprised we don't do more to help him out. Are they all off base as well?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1bv87qsg said:
So you've seen Bevell used a stack formation at the goal line to free Graham? Tell me more. I'm being serious. I would love to hear that we have and I've just missed it. I get you're a Bevell fan and I think there are good arguments for him. Where you lose me is your insistence that he's perfect or can't do better. I haven't seen even a hint of constructive criticism from you ever. I don't mean to be a jerk because I like you but it makes it hard to take your posts serious at times. I think there are valid arguments both ways regarding him and anyone who's objective would probably agree. We've had multiple ex players this year question him on that very regard during broadcasts this year. From Lynch, Aikman, Collingsworth and others have all seem surprised we don't do more to help him out. Are they all off base as well?
We use a lot of spread and motion in the red zone, primarily to capitalize on the run option skills and threat Russell brings to the table.

The stack play you are referencing is the one Sherm thought should be OPI for an illegal pick, right? Of course that would have been called against us. And come to think of it, I'm pretty sure we have gotten the end result of what you are detailing with concepts in which one of our players clears a path for the other by impeding the covering defender of the first player.

And I have never said Bev was perfect, just that I believe he is the best fit for our offense and quarterback to succeed. And we are succeeding. Having visions of being a participant in the Super Bowl every year is the goal every year, but just because we fall two rungs short of that doesn't make it a failure of a season or indicate that our team is regressing. We are the winningest team in the NFC the past 5 years. We aren't as far from closing the gap to win the ultimate prize and that's what makes us a perennial contender.

In fact this year, I give credit to the coaching staff for getting us as far as we advanced in the face of numerous injuries and a very young roster with many new faces. Think of our ground game alone and how many new players or players in different positions were tasked to make it work. But next year, most of those components will have a year and offseason under their belts and should be more efficient. That alone will make our offense purr by being more well-rounded.

I said I believe we will win a Super Bowl again within 3 years and I believe that. But we don't do that by breaking up the coaching staff or shutting down time-tested philosophies or concepts at this point. That's what losers do and it's what continues to make them losers. It's Pete's grand design and I'm still on board.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
It was not a total failure of a season. I think (like all teams) they need to fix some problem areas but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. They have a great core and some really good young guys. I think they would have won 2-3 more game minimum if they had a better performing O-line. Also not sure why defense was "off" this year (off by Seahawk standards) but I am confident behind the scenes it can be fixed. I think with a better DB and a bit more pass rush the D can be dominant once again.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1artb4o8 said:
More talent on the O line, secondary depth and provide Bevell a lucrative contract extension.

Now you're obviously trolling. Don't be that guy.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":27rrslqx said:
It was not a total failure of a season. I think (like all teams) they need to fix some problem areas but lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. They have a great core and some really good young guys. I think they would have won 2-3 more game minimum if they had a better performing O-line. Also not sure why defense was "off" this year (off by Seahawk standards) but I am confident behind the scenes it can be fixed. I think with a better DB and a bit more pass rush the D can be dominant once again.

A tie and a close loss to AZ make it look much worse than it was.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
StoneCold":36fsnkm2 said:
About our Oline philosophy. We skimp on the Oline. People say we got away with it because of Marshawn's punishing style and Russell's mobility, and there is some truth to that. But last year, with our patchwork Oline, Rawls was going nuts before the injury, and Russell (and Bevell) had one of the greatest second half's in Seahawk History, shows it can work. But it is a high wore act. One I think didn't come together this year. Not sure that means it's a failed strategy and should be abandoned, or that the coach should be fired, just acknowledging it has its risks. On the other side it has its rewards. Core players on both sides signed to long term contracts. Every team takes risks and our guys choose to do it on the Oline.

It worked because the Oline was ranked #4 by DVOA in 2015
This year we are #26 by DVOA and it showed, if this present Oline can get better and be close to top 10 we should be good enough and play like we did in 2015.
Not to mention Wilson was hurt for most of the season.