In an ideal world who do you cut/keep/re-sign/trade/release?

Beren

Reaction score
$35m in cap space right now, Kam and Jimmy G in their final year: what do you do at each position?

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Guys with a year left

Jimmy Graham: Cap Hit - 10mil, Dead Money - 0 Won't cost us anything to cut, but has trade value, and will generate a supplemental pick if we let him walk next year. I could see us offering an extension, trading him if he isn't happy, or letting him walk after next year.

Kam Chancellor: Cap Hit - 8.125mil, Dead Money - 1 Mil. Kam is currently worth the 7.125 mil difference, and I wouldn't consider cutting him at all. Does he get a contract extension? I'm not sure, he's been banged up a bunch and with his style of play, I could see a dramatic drop off in play in a hurry.

Paul Richardson: Cap Hit - 1.5mil, He's still on his rookie deal, cutting wouldn't save us anything worth discussing. He really flashed in the postseason, and I'm willing to let him prove it during the last year of his contract. No extension.

Justin Britt: Cap Hit - 1.1mil, I'm willing to give an extension to Britt. I liked what I saw from him as our Center and want to sign him now while his value is still relatively low. I could see him having a strong year next year and costing the team a lot more to re-sign.

Cassius Marsh and KPL: I'd be drafting their replacements this year.

Current Free Agents

Steven Hauschka: I love Haushcka, but I can see us moving in another direction for cost savings. He didn't have his best year this year.

Luke Willson: I'm not sure if the market is there for Willson to leave on a bigger deal, so he may be had back on a team friendly deal. I could see the team picking another TE in the draft as a cheaper option.

Michael Morgan: Another guy I'm not sure about the market but I'm good with locking up a rookie or two to compete for his spot.

Kelcie McCray: Should be able to keep on a good deal, but again, isn't a guy to worry about one way or the other.

Marcel Reese: I love what he added to the team and would absolutely bring him back as our FB for next year, shouldn't cost much.

RFA's -

Gilliam, Shead, Coyle: I can see us tendering all 3 to lock up for next year, I would prefer not seeing them as starters, but they are good depth guys that we can lock up for cheap.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Is that seriously the list of free agents they need to deal with?? That's a far cry from the past 2-3 years. This along with the supposedly $35 million cap space bodes extremely well for this off season. It really makes me think that in a way JS/PC were kind of treading water the past couple of years in terms of player acquisition. During their first couple of years they set a record with the number of players transactions. The past couple of years they have been cash strapped.

Pete, is used to turning over a roster and developing new/Young players from his collegiate days. They have pretty much relied on the draft the last few years to replenish the roster. Aside from a few trades. Have they been completely satisfied with the makeup of the roster the past few years that they didn't need to bring in as many new guys as the first couple of years? Maybe, but I doubt it.

It's looking more and more like they were doing whatever they could like locking up core players with new deals and extensions to set themselves up for the next window of major player acquisitions.

Do I think they are planning on blowing up the roster with a rebuild? No! Not with the extensions and contracts they have worked. I starting to think we could see another influx of player competition maybe not on such a large scale as 2010/11 but bigger than we have seen the last few years.

I think there are maybe 15-20 guys that really make up the core of this team. This off season they have the cap room and lack of pressing FA needs to really get after it. I'm as excited for this off season as I have been in a long time!

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
I would go someplace warm until training camp kicks off.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think I would cut Kearse. The whole TD Baldwin took was weird post game. Kearse seemed upset long after it happened. I get it, its been a really hard year and fans have killed you for it but its the playoffs and its a TD and a game you won. I have no proof of anything and I'm guessing here but thought it was weird Doug kept apologizing and that there were signs Kearse was still mad about it. For reasons that have been discussed a million times on the board I would cut him even knowing it doesn't save much money at all. I think its time for both sides to go different ways.

I would keep Graham and Kam for sure. You probably have to cut a couple offensive lineman after the big trades you do bringing in quality guys. :)

GLio14

Reaction score
You keep and re-sign Kam and Graham. Jimmy Graham is too good to just cut to save money. He's worth the $10 million. Kam is the guy who leads our defense. Our team looks to Kam every time adversity hits. Both guys are critical.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Resign Graham to an extension and front load it with a large signing bonus to allow some cap flexibility each year.

Resign Kam to a 2 or 3 year deal max. He is the heartbeat of that defense.

Were stuck with both Lane and Kearse.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Fire:
Cable
Richard
Consider Bevell if there's an excellent option available.

Hire:
New Oline coach
Gus Bradley

Gus isn't any better schematically than Richard, but he's older and I believe he has the respect of the players. Can you imagine Sherman ever yelling at Gus? Hell no.

[youtube]ofv2MgMoFG8[/youtube]
2:10 mark in video

Regarding new Oline coach. I actually believe Tom Cable is an excellent teacher. The problem is they give him authority over personnel decisions related to the line. I believe the club needs to start drafting who the talent evaluators believe are the best, and not an Oline coach. Because I don't believe you can take away that from him at this point, I think he's got to go. Pitt and NE both had Oline issues in the past and a change of coach has now brought that back into a position of strength.

Graham- Sign to extension (He may not produce how you want but I see this as a factor of play design and Russ with time). I think if you give him a legit Oline, you'll see endless offense with jimmy being a big part of it. Jimmy is still younger and a great team player. He's a guy I want on my team.

Kam- Sign to short term extension if possible, if not you must trade him. He's the emotional leader.

Sherman- Trade. As much as I love Sherman and I believe that he's elite. We saw that he's only an above average CB without Earl and/or a pass rush. He's paid as a pure cover corner and he plays one side of the field with help over the top. Get a 1st round pick for him, draft a guy like Marcus peters ect.. Cheaper cap hit, younger,and probably wouldn't much of a down grade.

Sign an elite edge rusher. I prioritise this even greater than oline. The most important part of this off season. For some reason Marsh, Clark, Avril, and Bennett were not good enough. I don't have any idea what happened to them, but that was our edge. Was Dan Quinn that excellent at teaching our Dline that they forgot it when he was gone? I doubt it, but I think they need 4 excellent rushers, not just 3. Clark was a beast.

Avril needs to stop playing on base downs. Bring him back in circa 2013 on passing downs. We had 4 big DLINE for rushing downs (1st and 10), and had Clem, Avril, Bennett, and Clinton McD who cleaned up with just a straight 4 man rush. So sign an elite pass rusher, even if they are older and one trick pony- that's fine, but you need someone who can still get off the edge with speed.

We are fine at the skilled positions WR/TE/RB.

I'd draft a few RBs in the later rounds but Prosise and Rawls are a very nice future tandem. Let Richardson play out his contract this year as a security to Lockett.

Resign:
McDaniel
Reece
McCray
Morgan

Let the rest go including Hauschka.

With Sherman Cap hit off the books, it opens up for them to sign someone like JPP, Perry, Sheard..ect As well as the $35MM they have left to sign two above average lineman. Our pass rush and safeties made our CBs, not the other way around.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I would trade Graham. I like having him but for as much as we use our tight ends and the production we get out of him (not his fault) it is not worth the money where we could use elsewhere. Lots of money for a position we don't utilize as much.

Kearse - Lets move up the bar for our receivers. With Locket and the emergence of Richardson I would like to find a big body receiver in the draft. Kearse is an emotional situation. He has been there for us and does OK but we need to be better than just OK.

Sherman - All those that talk of trading him....ARE YOU KIDDING ME. THis guys stays until the wheels fall off.

Cable - Get new guy in there. It is not Cable hate but whatever is going on is not working. I am not sure we can blame everything on him but he is the boss and results are not there. A change is needed.

Bevell - lets see how he does behind a better o-line (if we can get one).

Hauschka - I can go either way. Both sides of this argument make sense but in end can we rely on him? That is what you want from a kicker. Whenever he goes out there I never feel it is "automatic" especially on extra points.

Our biggest needs are Long snapper, O-line ,and secondary.

Mojambo

Reaction score
This is going to need to be drilled into people all off-season, I suppose:

Cutting Jermaine Kearse makes NO sense financially. Demote him, sure, but his contract assures him a spot on this roster next year. Period.

OwnTheWest

Reaction score
I would extend Britt, and let Kam and Graham finish their deals. Kam looks to have lost a step, and we are overpaying for an inline blocking TE -- if that's how we continue to use him.

I would resign McCray.

I would tender Morgan, McDaniel, Reece, Moore, and Willson.

The rest could return if the price was right.

More interestingly, I'd want to get better on the interior DL. Abry Jones or Chris Baker may be attainable.

On the OL, I think Gilliam backs up Fant, Ifedi moves out to RT and Odihambo becomes RG. If we could pry a Ricky Wagner away that would be a coup. I think Wisconsin's Ramcyzk and Utah's Bolles are a year away from starting, as well as any other mid-round project we pick up. So we'd basically be looking at the same group -- hopefully with some growth...

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Trading Sherman is nuts. He would save only 4.2mil in cap space, he still locks down his side and is great in run support.

After next year moving on from Sherman becomes much more viable when it would save us 11mil.

With all that said, Sherman is not the reason why we are no longer in the playoffs.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
When Sherman's MCL heals, he will get that step back that he seemed to lose at the mid-point of the season.

Talk of trade is premature IMHO.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
OwnTheWest":2yhcunfp said:
I would tender Morgan, McDaniel, Reece, Moore, and Willson.

These are all UFA's that we can offer contracts to, but we can't tender them like we can with RFA's

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
lukerguy":3meqedox said:
Sherman- Trade. As much as I love Sherman and I believe that he's elite. We saw that he's only an above average CB without Earl and/or a pass rush.

You must have missed the news that he played with a bad MCL for two months.

Seymour

Reaction score
I cannot make this call without knowing what coaches will be here. Case in point. Jimmy Graham + Tom Cable + Darrell Bevell = waist of talent. We now have complete 100% confirmation of that making Graham a blocker is a complete waist of the guys talent. Those coaches stay, and Graham needs to go....so take it from there.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
I would love for them to add players on OL & DL. We need solid starters/depth guys there. Just focus on controlling the LOS, and watch all the skill players look good.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
lukerguy":345flczd said:
Fire:
Cable
Richard
Consider Bevell if there's an excellent option available.

Hire:
New Oline coach
Gus Bradley

Gus isn't any better schematically than Richard, but he's older and I believe he has the respect of the players. Can you imagine Sherman ever yelling at Gus? Hell no.

[youtube]ofv2MgMoFG8[/youtube]

Slight tangent, but did I see a young Michael Bennett in the huddle when Gus is shelling the defense on the sideline?

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I am more certain now than ever before that we should not even entertain the idea of cutting Kam. :141847_bnono:

Latest posts