Unit needs

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It's the off-season. No sense in stressing about the loss. I'm happy for the division crown. I'm happy for a playoff win. I've been a fan of this team for way too long not to appreciate these things. The start of fan based opinions on player moves, free agent acquisitions, coaching changes, and potential draft picks starts now.

The season long consensus has been that the o-line needs a massive influx of talent. No argument here. Can this current o-line improve over the off-season and be at least average next year? I think the last half of the season has shown us that there are other units on the team that could use upgrading too. Here are the units that I see as the most needy or have the highest likelihood of upgrade needs.

O-line:
LT Fant LG Glowinski C Britt RG Ifedi RT Gilliam
1 or 2 upgrades anywhere except C should help tremendously.

RB:
Rawls, Prosise, Collins, Pope
Inconsistent and injury prone would be the best way to describe this bunch. It wouldn't surprise me to see them dip into the draft for another RB.

D-Line:
Seemingly solid with Bennett, Avril, Clark. Took Reed last draft. Could use DT depth/starters.

LB:
Wagner and Wright as solid as they come. Desperately need another OLB.

DBs:
Sherman, Chancellor, Thomas.
They need someone else to help bring the boom.
Need a starting CB opposite Sherman. Need S depth.

STs:
Ryan, Hauschka, and please bring back Clint Gresham. It won't happen but a reliable consistent deep snapper.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If a high ranked center such as Eflien or Pocic are available, I wouldn't mind take one of them and moving Britt back to guard or tackle. We know that Britt can play all positions better than all the guys on the roster currently at those spots. I'd rather draft a strong guy at his position than someone weaker at G or T just to draft them (Which is what happened in the 2016 draft). Hopefully Cable interviews well with 49ers tomorrow and is gone. He's part of the problem with the inconsistency of the OL.

TexasHawk95

Reaction score
Ifedi will improve. He was a rookie. The guy is a road grader.

I would like to I,prove the pass rush. Daeshon Hall comes to mind among others.

London12

Reaction score
I'm seeing:

Secondary help: Safety and CB - high draft talent for backup with a view to eventually replacing current starters down the line
Linebacker: We're good
O line: enough said. Hope we can hit this in free agency
D line: not sure exactly, pass rush could use help. Unsure where this comes from
WR: We're good.
RB: Ok. I think the current group improves dramatically with an average/below average line

Coordinators: I'd be happy with Cable and Bevell gone..

IrishNW

Reaction score
we need secondary help and some interior pass rush would be perfect.

crosfam

Reaction score
hawkfan68":xhy2s9tb said:
If a high ranked center such as Eflien or Pocic are available, I wouldn't mind take one of them and moving Britt back to guard or tackle. We know that Britt can play all positions better than all the guys on the roster currently at those spots. I'd rather draft a strong guy at his position than someone weaker at G or T just to draft them (Which is what happened in the 2016 draft). Hopefully Cable interviews well with 49ers tomorrow and is gone. He's part of the problem with the inconsistency of the OL.

Britt made alternate pro bowl as a Center this year in his third year. Absolutely no reason to replace him or move him to where he was less effective. We load up on defensive speed & talent. Develop our OL with a few new folks, a new receiver (#4) and make another run.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
IrishNW":3gvn2zgq said:
we need secondary help and some interior pass rush would be perfect.

These are definitely two areas of high need. The question, I believe for the off-season then, is what is this teams highest need area? Secondary, d-line, o-line?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Not to be too much of a smart ass, but I'd like to see Pete and John bring competition in at every spot on the roster. Just like they overhauled the roster in 2011/2012...I think this team has lost its hunger.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I say that it's time to move on from Jeremy Lane. We need a better nickle corner.

He's not close to the same player that he was in 2013 and 2014.

The injuries he sustained in SB49 have severely affected his ability to defend the pass and make tackles.

Pate and John should strongly consider eating $3.75M in dead money to save $1.5M against their 2017 cap.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
crosfam":328jep4g said:
hawkfan68":328jep4g said:

Britt made alternate pro bowl as a Center this year in his third year. Absolutely no reason to replace him or move him to where he was less effective. We load up on defensive speed & talent. Develop our OL with a few new folks, a new receiver (#4) and make another run.

I understand that. Britt had a monstrous year at center. It's not something I would want to happen, but for the sanctity of keeping RW upright and doing all you can to preserve his health, it could be an option. It's about protecting your largest investment. Britt would be an upgrade at LT, LG, and RT on the Seahawks.