Allow yourselves a moment of pride

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Look, I know the natives are restless. I get it. This season has been...just... OFF. I have been critical. But, there have been some good moments. I thought we had no chance to stroll into New England and beat the Patriots on a short week. The game against Atlanta was great, and it was nice to smash Carolina and finally b*tch slap the Rams.

I see a lot of frustration, uncertainty, doubt, even anger. I won't use the word "negativity" because this is a message board and people should be entitled to their viewpoints, without condescending labels.

We have a right to feel a little foggy right now. This team does not make it easy on us. There are what I see as fatal flaws (O line, lack of a consistent running game, both coordinators, loss of Earl Thomas), but I still hold out hope we can capture lightning in a bottle and sweep 4 straight to win it all again. I REALLY wanted a first-round bye, but that's now it worked out. At least we get one game for sure at C Link. As I stated in another thread, we have won 9 consecutive post-season games in our stadium.

I realized today that our window may be closing a bit. And in that moment of reflection, I thought of how blessed we are to be Seahawks fans. It has not always been an easy ride... I have been a fan since 1977, and there were a lot of lean years. You "newer" or more recent fans don't know how good you have it, truly.

Just think about what we have had since Pete Carroll took over.

Making the playoffs 6 out of 7 seasons, each time getting to at least the Divisional Round. Two NFC Championships, one Super Bowl title, and OH so close to back to back. We got the joy of watching Marshawn Lynch run rampant through defenses. We struck gold with Russell Wilson, Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Bobby Wagner, Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright, Doug Baldwin, Jermaine Kearse (yes I know he has been a let down this season, he has also had HUGE plays fo us in our run). Acquiring veterans like Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Jimmy Graham.

In the golden years, watching arguably the best secondary ever dominating offenses...our very own Legion of Boom. The historic 2013 defense that ate offenses alive and made Peyton Manning look like Rick Mirer.

We have experienced some of the craziest and emotionally draining games in our franchise history, including the Fail Mary vs. Green Bay (2012 season), the first playoff road victory since 1983, at Washington (2012 season), the "we were SO close!" playoff game at Atlanta (2012 season), the NFC Championship game vs. San Francisco (2013 season), the stampede over Denver and the greatest offense of all-time in the Super Bowl, finally realizing the dream. The improbable miracle comeback vs. Green Bay in the NFC Championship game (2014 season), the gut twisting and heartbreaking Super Bowl loss to New England... and Ice Bowl II vs. Minnesota last season, and so many others.

This franchise has become one of the NFL's elite. We are hated by other fan bases, and that only happens when you are successful. We have a savvy GM who is not afraid to make moves.

I don't know what is going to happen this post-season, but I l know it has been an awesome ride.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
You were the one being incredibly critical a few weeks ago iirc. If anyone tried to make any positive statements about the season not being over yet, you made sure to tell that person they were tasting the rainbow or something like that.

I agree with your post 100%, just find it funny coming from you

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Jerhawk":11vcyjsf said:
You were the one being incredibly critical a few weeks ago iirc. If anyone tried to make any positive statements about the season not being over yet, you made sure to tell that person they were tasting the rainbow or something like that.

I agree with your post 100%, just find it funny coming from you

As I said in my post, I have been critical. I wouldn't say "incredibly critical", that is a little over dramatic. And I won't back down from being critical, as I think my points are very valid concerns. I also never said the season was over, just that we were not heading in the right direction.

It's actually possible to be critical ... and still be a huge fan. I am not sure why people on this board want to force others one way or the other. It's either total fan boy or you are a negative devil. There should be middle ground allowed.

Anyone that doesn't see the issues we have is not being real. Some choose to gloss over it, and I don't begrudge them. Others take a more critical eye approach and want to talk it out on the board. No harm in either approach, really.

Anyway, this thread is about the positive.

:irishdrinkers:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Excellent post Greg. Your reflection encapsulates our recent run of success very well.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I really hope nobody is complaining about this era of seahawks football. Right now though, there's a lot of disappointment because this team has been underachieving. They really should be playing better. A lot of fans feel like it's a wasted season to some extent because we have elite players locked up but our offensive line is the one thing that really brings down the team. Plus injuries which is just part of the game.

Like I said in another thread, my expectations for this years post season is less than what it has been previous years. That's not a BAD thing. Doesn't make me any less of a fan, etc. The reality is the team has been grossly inconsistent all year, and fan reactions reflect that.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Crizilla":nk2xqw7e said:
I really hope nobody is complaining about this era of seahawks football. Right now though, there's a lot of disappointment because this team has been underachieving. They really should be playing better. A lot of fans feel like it's a wasted season to some extent because we have elite players locked up but our offensive line is the one thing that really brings down the team. Plus injuries which is just part of the game.

Like I said in another thread, my expectations for this years post season is less than what it has been previous years. That's not a BAD thing. The reality is the team has been grossly inconsistent all year, and fan reactions reflect that.

Perfectly o.k. to be disappointed and concerned right now.

But it will never take away from the success we have had in the last 7 seasons.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well (word I would use in the Shack,) Great post Greg, we also know what your New Years resolution was I guess as well.

There is a lot to reflect on and be happy about to be sure, I think a portion of the Forums anxiety is we don't want the window to close and we all see some of that well worn Levi Blue Jeans look now, faded, strngs showing thru on wear spots etc. They are still comfy but not really durable, one snag and you could be standing there with the Boys hanging out.

Many just want to pull another pair out and keep marching, many screaming that you don't want to climb a barbed wired fence with those puppies on to John.

Pete redefined a era of defense with Kam, Earl and Sherman being big and long and speedy, I think we as in the Seahawks evolved to another level as did the NFL, now that field is equal so to speak again, people have copied or compensated for what we do, it's time to make a shift of some sort again, offense, defense, youth, smaller and quicker to offset the size of a secondary now, whatever it is. We have disciples across the league of Pete's philosophy and coaching tree, the Master much once again show why he is the Master.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
chris98251":1ahq6ne5 said:
Well (word I would use in the Shack,) Great post Greg, we also know what your New Years resolution was I guess as well.

There is a lot to reflect on and be happy about to be sure, I think a portion of the Forums anxiety is we don't want the window to close and we all see some of that well worn Levi Blue Jeans look now, faded, strngs showing thru on wear spots etc. They are still comfy but not really durable, one snag and you could be standing there with the Boys hanging out.

Many just want to pull another pair out and keep marching, many screaming that you don't want to climb a barbed wired fence with those puppies on to John.

Pete redefined a era of defense with Kam, Earl and Sherman being big and long and speedy, I think we as in the Seahawks evolved to another level as did the NFL, now that field is equal so to speak again, people have copied or compensated for what we do, it's time to make a shift of some sort again, offense, defense, youth, smaller and quicker to offset the size of a secondary now, whatever it is. We have disciples across the league of Pete's philosophy and coaching tree, the Master much once again show why he is the Master.

I think that's it, exactly, Chris. The anxiety of this window closing.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2pvt4dsf said:
chris98251":2pvt4dsf said:

I think that's it, exactly, Chris. The anxiety of this window closing.
Yep. Nailed it.
It has been a great ride this past 5 seasons. I saw it coming in 2011. All we needed was a franchise QB. This window is closing but I do not believe we are done. At all. This season? I would say yes but I think we bounce back in a major way. Watch.
The best era of Seahawk football ever. The Knox era was fun. Holmgren era was fun. The Carroll era is epic and not finished. :irishdrinkers:

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Good posts all the way around. I have faith in this team, that when it really matters, that they will play at their best. Yes injuries, and our stagnant offense, and putrid line are concerning. If we falter in this playoff run, I will be disappointed, but I truly believe in our Head Coach. I feel that Pete, and John will see the deficiencies of the team this year, and will make the necessary changes to keep our window open for years to come.

Here is to the exciting finish of this season, may it end better than we all expect, and here is to a great upcoming off season with amazing changes.

dgleighton

Reaction score
Crizilla":yk0yedv9 said:
I really hope nobody is complaining about this era of seahawks football. Right now though, there's a lot of disappointment because this team has been underachieving. They really should be playing better.

I have not posted for a very long time. Hell I've only posted a hand full of times. But I visit this site daily and enjoy the banter and appreciate the information. But I gotta tip my hat to the statement made above.

I became a fan during the 83-84 season while in the Army. So not a fan from the beginning but have lived through the dark years of the 90's and early 2000's.

As gets pointed out repeatedly this is a fan forum site and as such venting, complaining, questioning, doubting, whining, etc... is to be expected.

Though I would love to have Cortez, Kenny or any number of players from past eras on this roster, I wouldn't trade where we are as an organization.
This team has come a long way and yes still has a ways to go to reach its fans lofty goals.

I agree with the masses that the offensive line is and has been a dumpster fire. I also agree that it is possible that some changes in the coaching staff is needed. But I swear if some how the switch gets flipped this team will tear through everyone.

Obviously I don't get paid $$$$$$ to make decisions for this team. I just enjoy the hell out of watching them (most of the time). When I don't I remember a defensive tackle winning defensive player of the year while on a 2-14 team. The midnight move to Oakland (almost).

That helps me remember how blessed we are to have this team.

This season is nothing like some or most of us expected but we won the division, get at least one home game with that maybe a second if it falls in place.

Trust me I understand if this team plays as it has been the last several weeks they're one and done. But if they play as we know they can they have the potential to bring home another Lombardi.

Just some random thoughts brought on by the above quote.

Looking forward Saturdaystuff game and the hope of another game next weekend...

crosfam

Reaction score
I do disagree a bit that our "window is closing". We do have one of the youngest teams in the league. Our best-ever franchise quarterback is in his prime. Our line, while much maligned, is 100% made up of youngsters. Our core defense is aging just a bit, but we have stars on the horizon (Reed, Clark, etc.) We will see turnover as good players get bigger contracts elsewhere (I'd like to keep Willson, for example, but somebody is going to pay him starter money), and we cut loose of good players that do not warrant great salaries (Kearse probably, and others such as Chancellor probably).

Opening a crapstorm here, but three of our asst coaches are getting HQ interest. That is not too bad.

Happy to see them winning the division yet again - and I think the Detroit game is going to be tough and ugly. Maybe we get a little healthy, dangerous (Procise?) and a little better each game and go on a three game winning streak. Maybe we intercept an aging Tom Brady three times and get revenge for 49.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post. I attribute this to injuries for the most part. How many teams not only survive, but win their division with their QB hurt all season ? Sure Wilson played, but he obviously was limited.

You're right. This season is off. We got blown out for the first time in the Wilson era, we've lost the scoring title on defense for the first time since 2011, and our OL never progressed as hoped for. That said:

My one glimmer of hope is that our team was the 19th youngest team in the league last year. This year we're the 10th youngest. We got a lot younger, and when that talent develops, we're going to be scary good again.

Our OL is 50/50. Britt turned out to be a great surprised, and we now have our franchise pivot on the OL for as long as we want to keep him. Ifedi is uber athletic and talented, but young and raw and misses a lot of assignments. Hopefully that changes with experience. Glowinski has good moments, and bad moments but it's also his rookie year in terms of playing experience. Then we have the most raw LT in the league, who's actually holding his own a good bit. That should be making us giddy to be honest....having a guy that raw able to play at the level he's playing. RT is our only question mark, but I see us drafting the BPA on OL at least a couple of rounds this draft.

We may not make it this year, but with a healthy Wilson and Lockett, Thomas back, and seasoning for our young guys (and another draft under our belt to churn the roster), we should be that much better. The Niners and Rams aren't going to be better, barring an incredible turn around year from Goff. AZ has major issues at QB and if Palmer doesn't retire, he's not going to be better next year. Fitzgerald is a year older. Their roster is starting to get old. We'll win the division next year as well.

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, I never waste a lot of time focusing on negatives after a win. I'm learning to just avoid those threads for the most part. Yeah, I'm proud of a 10 win season, especially the 5th one in a row.

:179417:

Largent80

Reaction score
Fans of other teams would kill to be in our position.

We are blessed, regardless of whatever bugs each and every one of us about the team.

Sign37now

Reaction score
Largent80":fmci6ano said:
Fans of other teams would kill to be in our position.

We are blessed, regardless of whatever bugs each and every one of us about the team.

:ditto: Imagine being a Browns fan...

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Crizilla":2ts80nyo said:

Like I said in another thread, my expectations for this years post season is less than what it has been previous years. That's not a BAD thing. Doesn't make me any less of a fan, etc. The reality is the team has been grossly inconsistent all year, and fan reactions reflect that.

See, that is the point of contention. Are they underachieving? Look at all of the injuries. Most teams don't survive, let alone win ten games with all of the injuries.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
crosfam":37w4mu66 said:
I do disagree a bit that our "window is closing".
Me too.

Well said, for the reasons you give, but I will add that it was very encouraging to me how fast PC was to dismiss any idea he would be leaving to take the Rams opening - despite him being the clear #1 choice.

More immediately it is entirely possible that Terrell will step up well enough to cover for ET, that our WRs will step up to cover well enough for Tyler, and that the OL will play as well as they have shown capable of at times - including over the past 6 straight quarters. If we get a good measure of those step-ups then seriously:

Why not us?

The long-term and the short-term both hold good potential.