Doug Baldwin 19 targets

getnasty

Reaction score
Got to hand it to Bevell, he did a great job getting Doug the ball.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Great player. One of the most consistent in the game. And his route running is next level.
3 times the player Kearse is.

themunn

Reaction score
Here's a nice stat for you too

Baldwin is 18th in targets this season but FOURTH in receptions.

mikeak

Reaction score
themunn":uruaht6c said:

I guess sometimes I am a glass half empty kind of guy : While that stat is impressive for Baldwin it also means that the ball is thrown to him when he will catch it.

Other qb's and systems throw the ball to receivers in 50/50 situations trusting that they either make the catch or turn it into an incompletion. We don't do that enough which leads to sacks and punts

Either way - Baldwin is a key guy to this team and the way Lockett was coming along was going to make them a feared tandem and it is a shame that they can't both be on display this post-season

mrt144

Reaction score
mikeak":2rebs4a8 said:
themunn":2rebs4a8 said:

I guess sometimes I am a glass half empty kind of guy : While that stat is impressive for Baldwin it also means that the ball is thrown to him when he will catch it.

Other qb's and systems throw the ball to receivers in 50/50 situations trusting that they either make the catch or turn it into an incompletion. We don't do that enough which leads to sacks and punts

Either way - Baldwin is a key guy to this team and the way Lockett was coming along was going to make them a feared tandem and it is a shame that they can't both be on display this post-season

It's a shame that machine is not functioning this year - not tasking RW with throwing higher risk passes isn't that much of a letdown if the offense was functional. But it's not, rushing is abysmal, continual running of OPI inducing rub routes, RW playing poorly at times, bad o line. The lack of overall function exacerbates the risk adverseness often exhibited by RW.

RussB

Reaction score
mikeak":znyd06mf said:
themunn":znyd06mf said:

Well theres this other guy named jimmy graham on the team. But hes been so uninvolved in the offense so you probably didnt even notice him........

themunn

Reaction score
mikeak":1dx0sxfl said:
themunn":1dx0sxfl said:

The reason so many of Baldwin's catches are not 50/50s but rather 60/40s or 70/30s is because he beats his man time after time after time. Jermaine Kearse is someone Wilson trusts in this 50/50 situations because he doesn't regularly leave his man in the dust.

Here's a reminder of why he's so open all the time:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... d-TD-catch

And in any case, maybe you forgot about some of the 10/90 catches Baldwin has made over the years?

Here's a couple of the better ones

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss ... ving-catch

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss ... ls-Beckham

mikeak

Reaction score
^ I appreciate the videos and the links but if he was open all the time he wouldn't be the 18th guy thrown to in the league.....

mikeak

Reaction score
mrt144":3vguls3o said:
mikeak":3vguls3o said:
themunn":3vguls3o said:

It's a shame that machine is not functioning this year - not tasking RW with throwing higher risk passes isn't that much of a letdown if the offense was functional. But it's not, rushing is abysmal, continual running of OPI inducing rub routes, RW playing poorly at times, bad o line. The lack of overall function exacerbates the risk adverseness often exhibited by RW.

Agreed - I didn't go into that but in years past we would slowly move the ball down the field - 3-5 yards per play. It worked because we always got a few on the running plays which constantly got us short yardage passing downs. Then if we punted it was fine because our defense would shut down the opponent. Then we would grind out each game and win them with a small margin.

With the lack of running game and the risk adverse passing (which leads to many throws that are too high / too low / not thrown) our offense looks even worse

As pointed out below my first post - yes Graham, Lockett and Baldwin combined should be a special trio of receivers. They are guys that gets open / can catch it in traffic and with Graham based on size alone he has an advantage in 1-1 situations. There is no way to double-team all three and we should have had a much more explosive passing game this past season and Baldwin could be much higher up on the list of passing attempts.

And yes we are still only the 21st team in passing attempts / game which considering our abysmal running game is a shocking number

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... ngAttempts

Running game attempts is 19th in the league - telling me that we run way fewer plays than other teams

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... ngAttempts