Gilliam to start against the Cardinals.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Both tackle positions need to be looked at this off season. I'm hoping Rees pans out somewhere, he looked decent in his limited games.

cymatica

Reaction score
Cable should have figured this out already, not 2 games before the playoffs. I'm sure it doesn't help a rookie rg having to adjust to a new tackle every other week.

Probably not, but from what i seen Ifedi is more responsive to the center.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The job goes to the guy who practices best and apparently this week it looks like the team felt Sowell played poorly against the Rams.

Both of Sowell and Gilliam are FAs this upcoming off season and both will likely be looking for work.

The revolving door at RT is affecting the ability of the Oline to run block. Pass blocking remains hit and miss except amazingly for Britt.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
And please Cable get your crew disciplined enough to knock off the false starts -- 5 on Thursday and I think 4 were on the line. This shouldn't be happening at home. The crowd is on our side.

ARhawk

Reaction score
Maybe its because benching Gilliam lit a fire under him and he has been performing at an All-Pro level in practice and is about to play like the best O-lineman this league has ever seen.

But its most likely because he and Sowell both suck, but maybe Gilliam doesnt suck as much

bmorepunk

Reaction score
turnstile-o.gif

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawksSoc":zp0a026h said:
Like being asked which shade of brown you want your s*** to be really.

Pretty much says it right there.

Leee-roy

Reaction score
Here we go again.
OK, this OL as a whole is pretty bad, and it's the lowest paid and all that.
How much of it is Cable not being able to teach/ motivate these guys???
I've seen lines decimated by injuries and the backups do pretty well.
I think we need a new OL coach.

Largent80

Reaction score
I've never seen anything like this in all my years of watching football.

It just says a lot about college development of O-Line and how unimportant it seems to be to the modern college game.

Look how much the DT position is coveted and drafted.

cymatica

Reaction score
Leee-roy":2sv10seh said:
Here we go again.

This. Theres something cable is doing that isn't working.

Seymour

Reaction score
Leee-roy":vgc48tpi said:
Here we go again.

Not to mention the fact that Cable is the one purchasing the crap for the crap sandwich.
He is on borrowed time, NEVER has had an oline that could pass protect, and needed to be booted at least a year ago.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Personnel issues aside, if I had to point to one thing having the greatest impact on the line's ability to runblock this season, I would point to the removal of the ability to chop block in key situations (see for reference: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/3/...p-blocks-cut-blocks-legal-illegal-explanation).

I believe we also see the impact of this rule change on the Denver run offense as well (who has employed similar zone concepts). When the rule was first announced, it was largely dismissed as likely having negligible impact, but now that the empirical evidence is out, it looks to have had a significant impact in the ability to run the ball for teams that rely on the zone scheme versus man-on-man blocking. I think Cable has been unable to make the transition with his linemen to be successful in continuing to use zone principles trying to work around this change.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I agree with starting Gilliam over Sowell and I think Cable needs to be replaced the O-line is broken and I have zero confidence Cable can fix it.

Fade

Reaction score
Fix LT, put Rees at RT. Let Glow, Britt, Ifedi have another year together. If the O-Line is still a disaster at that point, then the fire Tom Cable mob will be justified. I want to wait 1 more season first before I join the mob. It isn't reasonable to expect the O-Line to have success with Crap at LT, 1 career start in the NFL at LG, 0 starts at C, Rookie RG, 1 year starting at RT.

Worrying though is Cable's track record at Tackle. Robert Gallery was supposed to be the LT of his generation. Cable turned him into a Guard. James Carpenter, turned him into a Guard. Justin Britt, eventually turned him into a Center. Ifedi, one of the top RT prospects in the draft, didn't even bother having him fail at Tackle, immediately placed him at Guard. Okung was amazing as a rookie when he did play. He seemingly got worse every year under Cable.

The lack of Tackle prospects that thrived under Cable is extremely worrisome.

Hawkintent

Reaction score
I would have liked to see Odhiambo-Glow-Britt-Ifedi-Fant
I just feel like that would be our best configuration right now. Fant has done well with run blocking. Odhiambo seems like he knows what he is doing a little more (in extremely limited snaps mind you).