We are not bad. We are broken.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Has Pete lost the team?
Has Russell lost the team?

Is the philosophy just a talking point (now), not the actual culture anymore? We aren't the underdogs and haven't been for several years.

This wasn't just a bad game or a bad season. We are ebbing/flowing between great games and horrendous ones, which is why I don't think we are a bad team, we are just broken. It's bi-polar.

So what is it? What are your thoughts?

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2m171622 said:
Has Pete lost the team?

Is the philosophy just a talking point (now), not the actual culture anymore? We aren't the underdogs and haven't been for several years.

This wasn't just a bad game or a bad season. We are ebbing/flowing between great games and horrendous ones, which is why I don't think we are a bad team, we are just broken. It's bi-polar.

A great team isn't inconsistent week in and week out. The Seahawks have also shown little ability to dominate on the road which generally show how great a team is and how long their playoff life may last.

That being said we should all remember that we just played a road game in December at Lambeau in a place we haven't won at since supposedly 1999.

Food for thought, not excusing the loss but its something. To be fair I never thought this game was a lock 2-3 weeks ago either.

I do think we win out now, because our team is weird and thats what will happen. lol

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":7s6apf0n said:
Mtjhoyas":7s6apf0n said:
Has Pete lost the team?

A great team isn't inconsistent week in and week out. The Seahawks have also shown little ability to dominate on the road which generally show how great a team is and how long their playoff life may last.

That being said we should all remember that we just played a road game in December at Lambeau in a place we haven't won at since supposedly 1999.

Food for thought, not excusing the loss but its something. To be fair I never thought this game was a lock 2-3 weeks ago either.

I do think we win out now, because our team is weird and thats what will happen. lol
Kind of the way I feel.
Just when I think this team is done they blow a team out, just when I think they are back, they get blown out and played like turds, go figure!

Ozzy

Reaction score
The Giants lost 6 in a row and won a SB. It's not over yet guys.

NJlargent

Reaction score
We have been broken since the play. You don't come back from that which is why lynch and Baldwin have given the finger to Bevell. The team has been broken since and has been getting progressively worse. Still competitive but no legit threat to win the owl.

cymatica

Reaction score
Seems like Pete's philosophy of ball control and sound defense is broken.

Little investment in the o-line, with too much in skill positions, makes it tough to be balanced and control the tempo. Either you want a conservative ball control offense, or you want an aggressive up tempo. The up tempo, quick routes, scramble mode is probably not best suited for petes style, but it's like he's caught in the middle of philosophies, because he talks about wanting a great scrambling offense and went cheap on the o-line. Cheap o-line isn't good for the run/play action style that they always revert to. Pick a style and stick with it.

The defense is fairly sound, just inconsistent. I would say this is from not enough pressure/penetration. Even the best secondary can only defend for so long. Theres a reason when we play dumpster qbs like ryan lindly, we make them look all pro. It's because we give them all freakin day. Need to change something on the d-line, get another Red Bryant or some big body that can do something similar, all we have is speed and nothing to compliment it. Maybe Reed can fill that role i dont know, but the d-line fails the eye test

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
All is not done. Its not like we lost a playoff spot with this game. We can still pull out the second seed. Although it is not in our hands we can still pull it out and it is not a long shot either. Sorry we cant dominate every game every year but we have been very fortunate to have a team that until today kept even losing games close. Look at last years Super Bowl teams. One will not make the playoffs and the other is slipping and could miss them as well.

Having a team be competitive every year in this era is very tough. We will win division and make the playoffs. Again. Then it is anyone's season. The sky is not falling.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
You just have to look at the 2013, 2014, and 2015 NFL drafts to understand the inconsistency. A few average guys, but not much else. It is hard to stay consistently good when the depth is gone and the O-Line picks have been misses.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Jeremy517":pxi3b42r said:
You just have to look at the 2013, 2014, and 2015 NFL drafts to understand the inconsistency. A few average guys, but not much else. It is hard to stay consistently good when the depth is gone and the O-Line picks have been misses.
this has a lot to do with it. our drafting has been awful for the most part.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Cyrus12":yaft2fia said:
Jeremy517":yaft2fia said:
this has a lot to do with it. our drafting has been awful for the most part.
:ditto:
Been beating that drum since 2014. Quality replacement was almost nil through those drafts; not just oline - team wide really. Hard to stay competitive without it, and a testament to the quality of the staff and the core players that we have done just that. We pull even a few average starters from those drafts and I doubt we're having this conversation.

evergreen

Reaction score
the scariest thing is how bad Russell can be. it's been more games each year where he's been off for some reason. He was off to begin with and it went down from there. This has to be a reckoning type game. I kinda think they use it to be who we thought they were.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
We just ran into a desparate team in unfavorable weather for us. This team's weak O line was exploited by an aggressive GB defense who hit Wilson at every opportunity.
Not to excuse the team but we played GB followed by Rams on a short week and our QB was up late watching soccer.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Jeremy517":1ivsjo35 said:

100% spot on. Which is why our initial 53 had 14 rooks.

OpHawk

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":hwdduwup said:
Not to excuse the team but we played GB followed by Rams on a short week and our QB was up late watching soccer.

what?

Mick063

Reaction score
The system has been figured out.

How to beat a single high safety.
How to contain Wilson.
All of it. Figured out. Many examples on video to study and poke.

The league has caught up with them.

crosfam

Reaction score
hmm... We are winning our division easily and will go to the playoffs. Hosting a wild-card game is probably the worse case scenario, short of complete collapse. IMHO It is kind of disloyal and panicky to freak out over a bad loss to a pissed off and motivated GB team. We are more like the team that trounced Carolina than the team that played today. And this loss is just what the doctor ordered (embarrassed the defense & offense) to focus our guys on the path forward.

I think we will pull out the #2 seed in week 17, and then win three games in row in our mono-blue unis (once in Dallas), hosting the trophy one more time.

And... our drafts (take into consideration draft position) and UDFA have been as good as any team. Example: Our O-line is challenged, mostly because of their inexperience. Our C is now banging on the pro-bowl door, after three years of development and positon changes. Our UDFA LT is playing as well as any rookie 2nd round draft choice. Our 2nd year, 4th rd choice guard is starting and improving, playing like a 2-3rd round pick. And our late 1st round rookie is playing like a talented rookie. All examples of above average talent acquisition. Find an upgrade at RT (from slightly below average Sowell) and we may have the best OL in a few years.

razor150

Reaction score
I thought losing to the Bucs was the wake up call. How many more wake up calls do we need before it hits home that this team just isn't where it needs to be?

This isn't the doom and gloom of "we're just figured out" because that just isn't it. Sure we aren't fooling anyone, never were, but the defense is still good. It isn't like it's constantly giving up 38 points. It is amazing how well they have done considering how inept this offense can be at times. A better more consistent pass rush would go a long way, but they are still one of the best units in the league.

On offense we've had 2 years of probably historically bad offensive lines. Wilson started off the year by betting hurt, and he hasn't really had a great year overall even now that he seems to be getting healthy again. I would say this in large part due to a bad offensive line, and an offense that is suffering from post Lynch loss of identity. It doesn't even seem like the offensive coaches knows what our identity on offense is anymore.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Mick063":ar6jnhx2 said:
The system has been figured out.

How to beat a single high safety.
How to contain Wilson.
All of it. Figured out. Many examples on video to study and poke.

The league has caught up with them.

I agree. Those few things have now exposed the Seahawks to even moderately competent opposition. That and the fact the defense is a bit older/injured/sometimes unfocused, and the Hawks have become this increasingly split personality that leaves fans wondering what version will show up on Game Day.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The defense is still dominant. All it takes is for the offense to click a little and it'll be the 2007 Giants all over again. I mean look at the competition. Dallas is way over rates. And Detroit? Not enough weapons to keep a good defense honest. The best NFC team is still Seattle.