Hangover Game?

Polaris

Reaction score
I was listening to John Clayton today, and he had a theory that a big reason Seattle did so badly was because they were still suffering from a hangover from an especially brutal game (esp in injuries) from Philly game. He pointed out that we saw that before when Seattle played poorly against the Saints after a short week after the Arizona game when the defense was on the field for far too long.

I wasn't too sure about that until I saw how badly the Eagles are playing tonight. Green Bay has not (and is not) playing very well at all, but the Eagles are flat, flat, flat tonight. It is also worth noting that Arizona has gone into a tailspin (have they won a single game?) since they played that tied overtime game with us.

Just a thought.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This type of reasonable logic doesn't belong here.

Somebody has to fall on the blade for this loss!

sutz

Reaction score
Interesting thought. I know that around here, we've been bragging for years about how we do that to other teams. The idea that maybe someone did it to us is hardly out of the realm of possibility.

Let's hope they get over it this week.

hawker84

Reaction score
We got outplayed and outcoached in every aspect of the game...... We had a crap game plan on offense going in, and could do nothing to adjust to what TB was throwing at us. The only thing that actually surprise me, was I thought we would struggle on D with so many out, which we did for the first quarter but adjusted nicely. I thought the O would at least make a couple key drives. I figured it was a loss, on the defense though, not offense.

Not a hangover game, just got our butt's kicked because:

Our O line is crap, I don't care who's in there
Wilson continues to hold the ball too long and make crucial mistakes, mainly because he has no time
our in game coaching is crap, more so on the offense side of the ball, and I put that on Pete just as much as anyone
our run defense is crap, Reed is struggling and not an effective run stopper yet
our D line is really missing Bennett, Winston had all day, I still think Clark is a stud, but needs to contain the edge better
Sherman is not playing up to his standard, although still very good
Kearse's play is diminishing, starting to lean towards the sit him crowd, at least that way Wilson will stop throwing to him so much
thanks to injuries and our makeshift O line, our running game is non existent, Rawls looked decent, but we need Procise back.
I still marvel at our defense, as much as they're on the field, they hold up very well. they kept us in that game till the bitter end.

In my opinion, these are the reasons why we lost, not cross country traveling, or east coast time zones, or hangovers from previous games. We lost because TB was the better team Sunday...Physically, Coaching, execution..... Moving on.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Others have suggested.. a Trap game, which is what a hangover game is.

To me, suggesting we lost because it's a hangover game is about the same as using injuries as an excuse.

Why do we have hangover games, and when was the last hangover game did the Patriots ever have.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
I disagree. I don't disagree that the Seahawks played a putrid game, nor am I condoning how our offensive line played, but I think it is unfair to note these and ignore how much better we played just recently in other games. I also think it's unfair to ignore the effect of a very physical game that forced us to bench about 10 starters including our starting center.

I think it's very fair to at least posit that this was a hangover game.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3rwvzt46 said:

To me, suggesting we lost because it's a hangover game is about the same as using injuries as an excuse.

Why do we have hangover games, and when was the last hangover game did the Patriots ever have.

A Pats fan might suggest that the game they lost to us was a hangover or trap game and I disagree that they are one and the same.

I also note that the Patriots played an ABYSMAL game against a far inferior Jets team (much more inferior to them than the Bucs were to us) and barely pulled out a win late. Why? They are still recovering from their game with us (ask Gronk) [it's also worth noting that the Patriots did not play especially well against San Fran....perhaps the second worst team in the NFL.]

I am giving a possible reason for what happened, not an excuse. There is a difference.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Polaris":252il1nc said:
Bobblehead":252il1nc said:

A Pats fan might suggest that the game they lost to us was a hangover or trap game and I disagree that they are one and the same.

I also note that the Patriots played an ABYSMAL game against a far inferior Jets team (much more inferior to them than the Bucs were to us) and barely pulled out a win late. Why? They are still recovering from their game with us (ask Gronk) [it's also worth noting that the Patriots did not play especially well against San Fran....perhaps the second worst team in the NFL.]

I am giving a possible reason for what happened, not an excuse. There is a difference.

Pats lost to a good team.

Pats still found a way to win. we got beat by a team yielding a bottom tier defense and a meddling offense.

The last several games the Hawks have come out sluggish with the defense giving up big yards and points, it just caught up with them this week, especially with the offense having struggles.

Can we expect to see every team now, put a fast defensive player on Fant until he proves himself? Noah had a season Sunday. Seems like a blueprint at the moment.

OP
OP
P

Polaris

Reaction score
Bobblehead":294q6z07 said:
Polaris":294q6z07 said:
Bobblehead":294q6z07 said:

Pats still found a way to win. we got beat by a team yielding a bottom tier defense and a meddling offense.

The last several games the Hawks have come out sluggish with the defense giving up big yards and points, it just caught up with them this week, especially with the offense having struggles.

Can we expect to see every team now, put a fast defensive player on Fant until he proves himself? Noah had a season Sunday. Seems like a blueprint at the moment.

The Bucs are a lot better than you think. They are an inferior team, but they aren't THAT inferior. As for losing to a good team, talk to the Patsies. Not all of them would agree with you.

Also giving up big yards and points? Really? Are we watching the same games? 14pts given up to the Bucs is NOT big points, and we pretty much kept the Tampa offense contained after a wretched first quarter (which may be coloring your perceptions). If you told me before the game that we'd give up 14pts and get two turnovers, I'd had bet good money that we not only win but win comfortably......so don't blame this on the defense.

The real culprit was indeed mainly the offensive line, and the offense in general (including Russell Wilson) playing a bad game. Given the brutally physical nature of the game the week before including the attendant injuries not only with Prosise but with Justin Britt our starting center, I think it's very reasonable to think that this was a carry over from the week before.....and we HAVE seen this before (Saints after Arizona). I also challenge anyone to think that the 'Hawks played this bad as a pattern if you watch the past four games honestly.

It's not just me saying that but John Clayton as well. I think we see a much different (and better) team this coming Sunday night. Until then, I recommend we back away from the ledge.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Polaris":3er3gx5l said:
Bobblehead":3er3gx5l said:
Polaris":3er3gx5l said:
Bobblehead":3er3gx5l said:

The Bucs are a lot better than you think. They are an inferior team, but they aren't THAT inferior. As for losing to a good team, talk to the Patsies. Not all of them would agree with you.

Also giving up big yards and points? Really? Are we watching the same games? 14pts given up to the Bucs is NOT big points, and we pretty much kept the Tampa offense contained after a wretched first quarter (which may be coloring your perceptions). If you told me before the game that we'd give up 14pts and get two turnovers, I'd had bet good money that we not only win but win comfortably......so don't blame this on the defense.

The real culprit was indeed mainly the offensive line, and the offense in general (including Russell Wilson) playing a bad game. Given the brutally physical nature of the game the week before including the attendant injuries not only with Prosise but with Justin Britt our starting center, I think it's very reasonable to think that this was a carry over from the week before.....and we HAVE seen this before (Saints after Arizona). I also challenge anyone to think that the 'Hawks played this bad as a pattern if you watch the past four games honestly.

It's not just me saying that but John Clayton as well. I think we see a much different (and better) team this coming Sunday night. Until then, I recommend we back away from the ledge.

Well, I think the Pats fans thought we were a pretty good team and most as far as I can tell from their forums thought it wasn't a bad loss as far as losses go.

I'm just saying, that at the start of the games, opposing teams seem to come out blazing and it takes us awhile..for the defense to get back on track much like.. we did against the Bucs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Polaris":1ncw69pj said:
I was listening to John Clayton today, and he had a theory that a big reason Seattle did so badly was because they were still suffering from a hangover from an especially brutal game (esp in injuries) from Philly game. He pointed out that we saw that before when Seattle played poorly against the Saints after a short week after the Arizona game when the defense was on the field for far too long.

I wasn't too sure about that until I saw how badly the Eagles are playing tonight. Green Bay has not (and is not) playing very well at all, but the Eagles are flat, flat, flat tonight. It is also worth noting that Arizona has gone into a tailspin (have they won a single game?) since they played that tied overtime game with us.

Just a thought.

FIRE BEVELL!

But really good post. :)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2qev3uh5 said:

The Bucs have a better pass defense than the Jets. The Jets have the superior run defense (thanks to an amazing DL) The Bucs have a better pass offense than the Jets. The Jets have a better rushing offense by a whopping 4 yards per game.

So yeah, NE found a way to win, but the Bucs are beating the Jets more often than not.

Bobblehead":2qev3uh5 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trust me, no team needed a blueprint to rush our undrafted tackles.

Also FWIW, Spence is going to be one nasty pass rusher and has registered 4.5 sacks in his last 6 games. Not like Fant just got dominated by Lamar King.