If PC is in Kubiaks shoes, what do you want him to do?

gowazzu02

Reaction score
For those who didn't watch SNF, the broncos chiefs game was a classic. OT thriller, coming down to the wire. The broncos had a 4th and long with about 1 minute and change on the clock, Kubiak had the choice to try a 62 yard field goal for the win or punt away and at best hope for a tie.

If the hawks are in that situation, do you roll Haush money out there and try for the win? Or do you punt away and play for the tie, cause if you miss the kick, the other team has the ball basically at mid field.

I very interesting dilemma. What do you want the hawks to do in that situation.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I punt hoping to pin them inside the 10 and take my chances. Wasn't a fan of a 62 yarder.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Trying the kick, even in Denver, would have been my third choice. Punting would have been the top choice, and going for it a distant second choice.

I'm guessing going for it on 4th and whatever it was probably had better odds of success.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Punt. Missed field goal here means a whole lot more than just a missed field goal. It's field position.

They gave KC a short field, easy access to a FG and a win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We've seen Pete do the same thing, and we've criticized Pete for doing the same thing.

Overtime? Idk, if you think your kicker can make it I'm cool with going for it.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Don't forget this was in mile high, so a 62 yarder is somewhat do-able.

HawksBrazil

Reaction score
I would try to go for it. Converting a 4th and 10 does not seem much less likely than kicking a 62-yd FG, and if you do not convert (assuming you were not sacked), the Chiefs would start their drive from at least 8 yards behind as compared to where they started after the missed field goal.
The final play before the kick was a 16-yd completion to Kelce because Denver sent six on the blitz hoping they would create a sack and put them out of reasonable FG range (a six-yard sack would have made it a 56-yd FG at that point). Assuming the Chiefs ran the same plays but started 8 yards behind, they would still not be in FG range, so Denver could play a bit more conservative and perhaps make Santos' job a bit harder.

lukerguy

Reaction score
If we already had one tie at the time I would go for another Tie to essentially make the two ties equal another win.

If we had no ties at the time i would consider who our rivals were in getting a 1st round bye.

Since we already beat ATL and hold the tie-breaker i would have gone for the win.

In Kubiaks instance with divisional games left, I would have taken the Tie.

drcool

Reaction score
I would go for it. Probably a better chance of converting than Hauschka hitting a 62 yarder. And if it doesn't work you don't lose the 7 yards for the FG spot. Even if you gain 5 yards that is a 12 yard swing which could turn out to be huge. Don't like the FG or punt options.