Good news regarding Deshawn Shead

sutz

Reaction score
hawksfan515":37y40qt9 said:
http://sea.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-DeShawn-Shead-injury-mild-held-out-as-precaution-49146375

Says his injury was mild. That's good news, hopefully Earl's is not bad either.
Good sound to that.

The fact that Earl didn't collapse to the turf is at least promising. He pulled up a little, but was still walking fairly normally. He hasn't missed a game yet, hope that streak continues.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That IS good news.

Next up is the Bucs. WInston likes to throw it around the yard a bit. If Shead was out, Sherm would've had to shadow Evans around the field.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ymps86w said:
That IS good news.

Next up is the Bucs. WInston likes to throw it around the yard a bit. If Shead was out, Sherm would've had to shadow Evans around the field.

I expect Sherm to be on Evans most of the game.

Evans is a beast! Hoping most Hawks fans appreciate how good he and Winston have been lately.

Going to be a tough game. At least it is a 1 pm Pacific start.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even mild hammy injuries for DB's and WR's usually means out a week or two.

Our defensive backfield was a mess after both Earl and Shead left the game, so I hope it's only a week. I'm far more worried about our RB's than DB's today.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fkwiu2p2 said:
Even mild hammy injuries for DB's and WR's usually means out a week or two.

Our defensive backfield was a mess after both Earl and Shead left the game, so I hope it's only a week. I'm far more worried about our RB's than DB's today.

Yup me too. And frankly.... I hope they take it easy with them. Hammy's for the jitterbugs on the outside can be a real pain and can stick around. So if they need to miss a game to get 100, so be it.

RussB

Reaction score
Great to hear, shead is really valueable and has been holding it down when targeted. Hope earl is fine though dude is even more crucial to this D.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Far more worried about RBs than Earl? On whar planet? Me thinks more than a few peeps in here are about to find out just how much ET means to this team. Put some speed out there and any QB with an arm will blow the top off this D without him playing.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Year of The Hawk":rhlbmjce said:
Who replaces Earl and how good is he?

Steven Terrell and not very good...he gets burnt and burnt often. I remember how horrible he was during the Raider game in preseason 2 years ago. Couldn't cover or tackle well.

djb28

Reaction score
Good Morning Football reported today that Earl had a class one pull and could play this week limited.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I had mentioned this in another thread and this seems to confirm it. Pete mentioned that Shead had actually tweaked his hammy during the previous week and they decided to hold him out of the Philly game because he just "Couldn't get it loose". So it seems Shead should be ahead of Thomas in recovery and I would bet he will likely play against Tampa. Earl I don't think they risk playing against Tampa.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
DJrmb":bw0mkyba said:
I had mentioned this in another thread and this seems to confirm it. Pete mentioned that Shead had actually tweaked his hammy during the previous week and they decided to hold him out of the Philly game because he just "Couldn't get it loose". So it seems Shead should be ahead of Thomas in recovery and I would bet he will likely play against Tampa. Earl I don't think they risk playing against Tampa.

Agreed. We need Earl for the stretch run. We should be able to handle the Bucs, and they don't play as well at home as on the road for some reason.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Good news, can't imagine Jeremy Lane taking his spot.

SeaChat

Reaction score
From what I could gather from press releases and reading various insider sources, both DeShawn and Earl were pulled out of the game with class 1 hamstring pulls, which are relatively mild and with some therapy and workout, both should be good to go on Sunday against the Bucs.

The reason both are class 1 is that the coaching and sports medicine people, had the good sense to yank their butts off the field when the symptoms first started, rather than waiting until we had a full blown class 3 ham string pulls, which we all know can have a player down for weeks.

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, It seems apparent to me that whoever is responsible for the conditioning of the Seahawk players, is failing the players miserably, by accepting their present state of health and readiness for playing in the NFL as being sufficient.

It's all well and good to want to play at a higher level than your opposition, but that level of execution comes with a price that few athletes are willing to pay. Mediocre conditioning brings about mediocre results. Greatness demands greatness.

If the Seahawks want to stop seeing all these injuries that have been plaguing their team this season, they are going to have to push their players to much higher levels of conditioning. A higher level of conditioning coupled with proper dietary needs will go along ways towards being able to avoid these reoccurring injuries, that will stand in their way and deny them the ability to achieve the goals they have set for themselves.

Short and simple, superior conditioning equals fewer injuries, equals more Super Bowl titles :) It's not rocket science,

It is going to take everyone from the top down agreeing that this is the problem and then doing something about it.

If someone in the organization is responsible for insuring the conditioning levels of the athlete that will allow them to perform at their position at absolute maximum levels, and at the same time resist and avoid those injuries that are commonly attributed to not being at that level of physical conditioning.

Then the Seahawks management needs to either require the person/s designated to oversee player fitness, to correct that state of affairs, or replace them with someone who does understand the importance of conditioning as it applies not only to role performance on the field, but also to their ability to resist and avoid injury due to their physical condition.

Go Seahawks !!

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
pacific101":1h6ebxju said:
From what I could gather from press releases and reading various insider sources, both DeShawn and Earl were pulled out of the game with class 1 hamstring pulls, which are relatively mild and with some therapy and workout, both should be good to go on Sunday against the Bucs.

The reason both are class 1 is that the coaching and sports medicine people, had the good sense to yank their butts off the field when the symptoms first started, rather than waiting until we had a full blown class 3 ham string pulls, which we all know can have a player down for weeks.

I hate to keep sounding like a broken record, It seems apparent to me that whoever is responsible for the conditioning of the Seahawk players, is failing the players miserably, by accepting their present state of health and readiness for playing in the NFL as being sufficient.

It's all well and good to want to play at a higher level than your opposition, but that level of execution comes with a price that few athletes are willing to pay. Mediocre conditioning brings about mediocre results. Greatness demands greatness.

If the Seahawks want to stop seeing all these injuries that have been plaguing their team this season, they are going to have to push their players to much higher levels of conditioning. A higher level of conditioning coupled with proper dietary needs will go along ways towards being able to avoid these reoccurring injuries, that will stand in their way and deny them the ability to achieve the goals they have set for themselves.

Short and simple, superior conditioning equals fewer injuries, equals more Super Bowl titles :) It's not rocket science,

It is going to take everyone from the top down agreeing that this is the problem and then doing something about it.

If someone in the organization is responsible for insuring the conditioning levels of the athlete that will allow them to perform at their position at absolute maximum levels, and at the same time resist and avoid those injuries that are commonly attributed to not being at that level of physical conditioning.

Then the Seahawks management needs to either require the person/s designated to oversee player fitness, to correct that state of affairs, or replace them with someone who does understand the importance of conditioning as it applies not only to role performance on the field, but also to their ability to resist and avoid injury due to their physical condition.

Go Seahawks !!

Is this a serious post? We have a defense that balled out of their minds being on the field for 40-45 minutes in some games and you question their conditioning?? This has to be a joke post.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I dunno about the trainers failing the players miserably?

It is football and that was a particualrly physically tough game against Philly. DBs are basically sprinters that stop and start and often hit while changing directions which can cause pulled muscles.

I do agree there have been lots of Hammy injuries this season and maybe they need to work on condition more for hamstring strength if doesn't compromise speed.

I hopeful the team rests both guys until iot is clear they are healthy as the backups could use some seasoning, even though I'd prefer Shead and ET playing.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Chris Carlisle is the lead S&C coach and helped develop some of the Nike SPARQ system. He believes in training to the movements that are unique to each position (in addition to the obvious overall cardio, etc.). He's not a big fan of relying on things like bench press numbers. I specifically recall him commenting to the effect that when they decide to do a bench-off at the 50, he'd train athletes for that, but in the meantime he was going to train them for the movements they actually use on the field.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":1gg912t6 said:
pacific101":1gg912t6 said:

<snip>

<snip>
<snip>

Go Seahawks !!

Is this a serious post? We have a defense that balled out of their minds being on the field for 40-45 minutes in some games and you question their conditioning?? This has to be a joke post.

(*Corrected attribution*)
Since Pacific101 seems to know so much about it, maybe he should reach out to Paul Allen and/or John Schneider and offer to replace the loser S&C coach(es) and fix the problem.

Seriously, Pete has analyzed and thought about this a ton in his coaching career and I'm sure already has the best-of-the-best already on his coaching staff. It's ludicrous to suggest there is some simple fix. Wait, there is. All Seahawks DBs have to only run at 75% speed in games. Our DB's won't pull any hammies but they might give up a long TD pass or twenty.

The reality is that the incredible demands of NFL play and these amazing athletes pushing their bodies to the limit and beyond is going to result in a few injuries, including pulled muscles. It's just silly to think that this is a "poor conditioning" issue. Pete and his staff have always devoted ridiculously huge amounts of thought, time, and effort to how to keep players healthy and on the field. We've seen how careful Pete is about bringing injured players back prematurely.