Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

So How did Fant do?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
So How did Fant do?
Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:49 pm
  • How did Fant do? My non-professional eye is not too reliable here.
    oasis
    NET Veteran

Re: So How did Fant do?
Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:50 pm
  • I saw some good blocks from him tonight. I wasn't watching him specifically, though, so maybe someone else can enlighten us. But when I did watch him, I saw some good things.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:51 pm
  • From what I saw of him, he did a pretty good job.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:52 pm
  • Seahawk_Dan wrote:From what I saw of him, he did a pretty good job.

He did well.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:53 pm
  • So Long So Well
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:54 pm
  • When you don't notice an OL in game it means he did his job
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:54 pm
  • Didnt watch him much but didnt see any sacks given up or any penalties so thats a good thing. Also saw him block sheard nice on one play so i think he did pretty well. They need to stick with him sowell is the back up now as far as im concerned.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:56 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:When you don't notice an OL in game it means he did his job

Agreed, nothing else to say.
    bandiger
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 pm
  • bandiger wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:When you don't notice an OL in game it means he did his job

Agreed, nothing else to say.

Triple that
    "It's Ground Hawks Day" Chris Berman
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:10 pm
  • He played outstanding I am so impressed with him the only thing I can say is that he needs to anchor better against the bull rush and that is being nitpicking. Great game young fella.
    bighawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:11 pm
  • Played well against subpar competition. He's progressing.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:11 pm
  • We could nit pcik a lot, but let's face it.

Do you notice getting worked like Sowell did? I sure don't.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:14 pm
  • He did well. The entire offensive line did much better in this game. Maybe... maybe they're starting to turn the corner?
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:15 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:We could nit pcik a lot, but let's face it.

Do you notice getting worked like Sowell did? I sure don't.

Sowell finds himself with his butt glued to the bench for the rest of the year, I hope.
    Seahawk_Dan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:18 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:He did well. The entire offensive line did much better in this game. Maybe... maybe they're starting to turn the corner?

Not willing to say that they have turned the corner, but it was nice to see them play better. The Eagles have a terrific d-line and will be a HUGE challenge for the oline.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:25 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:He did well. The entire offensive line did much better in this game. Maybe... maybe they're starting to turn the corner?

Not willing to say that they have turned the corner, but it was nice to see them play better. The Eagles have a terrific d-line and will be a HUGE challenge for the oline.

Philly becomes a huge game for just that reason. Russell is healthier and on point, Prosise is emerging, the defense got a shot in the arm with Kam and Bennett will be back fresh soon. Philly will be a big test for the OLine. Can't frickin' wait.
    LoneHawkFan
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:51 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:He did well. The entire offensive line did much better in this game. Maybe... maybe they're starting to turn the corner?

Seems like Cable has been changing it up a lot. In the last couple weeks, there were several instances where we ran man/power schemes.

This week I saw two old school Redskins Hogs style counter treys. But also seeing a lot more pulling of guards as well. I don't recall us running much in the way of stretch zone runs which have been our bread and butter run play.

I can't be certain, but it does look like Cable is more than toying with non ZBS staples now. Cable mentioned it recently how we're misfiring on correct reads both with the OL and the RB. Seems like we're switching it up to reduce the learning curve gap vis a vis the zone blocking scheme. With as green as our guys are at LT/LG and RG -- reducing the complexity seems a good move.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:59 am
  • We've already played the best D lines we're going to face, other than Rams, and Cards again, maybe Carolina. Not that concerned with Eagles D line with a much healthier RW who now has some illusiveness back, O line is either going to show or not. I thought Bevell did a good job last night countering the blitz with the screens to Graham and Procise. That'll make the Eagles D line have to play a little more honest I think.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:10 am
  • It wasn't much of a test. New England's defensive line is probably the worst we've played since San Francisco, so naturally everyone looked better, and Belichick wasn't too eager with his blitzing either. Fant looked good with what he had to face. Philly will be a better test.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:13 am
  • Both Fant and Ifedi had their best games of their short careers last night.

IMO the biggest factor was the playcalling, Pete and Bevell went full on attack mode, which allowed both these players to not have to overthink everything and just go maul people. They were both blowing the Pat's lineman 2-3 yards off the line before Prosise even got to the hole.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:30 am
  • Dungy on Fant:

Damian Jones ‏@DamianJ30283678 12h12 hours ago
    @TonyDungy Coach what do you think of the play of offensive tackle George Fant? it's my Fiance God son she wants your truthful opinion..Lol

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy 11h11 hours ago Greenwich, CT
    @DamianJ30283678 He has been phenomenal considering his background. In another year they'll be talking about him as one of the top OTs
    RCATES
    NET Starter

Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:41 am
  • Fant is saving this FO's bacon right now in some ways. The Sowell experiment was a failure, which I felt was going to be the case before the season started. Fant has come in and played remarkably well considering his lack of football background. Right now Fant is your classic player with high potential. He is an athlete first and an LT second and this point. He needs to grow into the LT role, which will require some physical and mental adjustments. Physically he needs to bulk up his lower body so he can anchor more firmly and stand up to the bullrush. While Fant hasn't allowed the turnstyle variety sacks that Sowell did, he is often pushed back into Russell, negatively affecting the pocket.

For a UDFA Fant has earned an A grade. If he continues on his current trajectory he will be a total success and provide some much needed evidence that this team's approach to the tackle position might just work. I love to see it as I was singing a very different tune when Sowell was starting.

Hoping for a strong showing from Fant against Philly.
    CodeWarrior
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:06 pm
  • I really can't wait to see what he looks like after two training camps.

It's reminiscent of Terron Armstead in New Orleans. He was an athletic OT prospect who cooled it on the sideline and got some sporadic playtime his rookie year. Although he did play OT at Ark Pine Bluff -- he was a project that had similar upside.

Armstead struggled in year one but showed enough. Then really caught on and improved throughout year two. Now he's a fringe pro bowl player as one of the top OTs in the NFC not named Tyron Smith.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:13 pm
  • He did well considering the Pats were rushing 3-4 guys most of the game. When he plays an elite pass rushing team then talk to me.
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:30 pm
  • The guy hasnt even played football since high school and hes picking it up playing in the nfl fast. He can develop into a very good player hes very talented. The fact that he is playing at atleast an average level with his background is very impressive.
    Last edited by RussB on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:14 pm
  • RussB wrote:The fact that he is playing at atleast an average level with his background is very impressive.

I'll be that guy.

At some point Seattle will be in the midst of a championship drive. Qualfied success based on background is going to be less and less of a consolation.

I think I'm already at the point where I'm no longer satisfied with qualified success. I mean I love and appreciate the backstory as much as everyone. And I was absolutely thrilled the moment it was announced we signed him.

But I'm greedy now. I've seen enough to be intrigued. I've seen enough of his smooth footwork. Now I want more. I am watching for his next evolution. I think he's impressive where he started from. But I want to get from 'good considering...' to 'just plain good'. I'm eagerly anticipating when he ascends his zero experience background and starts to flash talent with his use of hands/arms. From there, I'll be anticipating flashes of consistency. And then entire games of consistency. Then I can greedily dream of 'just plain great'.

He's shown the lively footwork. Now to find balance and upper body technique.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    But I'm greedy now. I've seen enough to be intrigued. I've seen enough of his smooth footwork. Now I want more. I am watching for his next evolution. I think he's impressive where he started from. But I want to get from 'good considering...' to 'just plain good'. I'm eagerly anticipating when he ascends his zero experience background and starts to flash talent with his use of hands/arms. From there, I'll be anticipating flashes of consistency. And then entire games of consistency. Then I can greedily dream of 'just plain great'.

Probably won't see this for another year or two, BUT what you've described is why Fant's upside is worth the inconsistency it's going to take until he's a very good LT. Which I have no doubt he will be, Fant's off the chart athletic and nasty.

Also why you're not going to see Sowell back in the lineup anytime soon unless someone gets hurt.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:34 pm
  • RCATES wrote:Dungy on Fant:

Damian Jones ‏@DamianJ30283678 12h12 hours ago
    @TonyDungy Coach what do you think of the play of offensive tackle George Fant? it's my Fiance God son she wants your truthful opinion..Lol

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy 11h11 hours ago Greenwich, CT
    @DamianJ30283678 He has been phenomenal considering his background. In another year they'll be talking about him as one of the top OTs

Huh interesting. :2thumbs:
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:05 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:He did well. The entire offensive line did much better in this game. Maybe... maybe they're starting to turn the corner?

Seems like Cable has been changing it up a lot. In the last couple weeks, there were several instances where we ran man/power schemes.

This week I saw two old school Redskins Hogs style counter treys. But also seeing a lot more pulling of guards as well. I don't recall us running much in the way of stretch zone runs which have been our bread and butter run play.

I can't be certain, but it does look like Cable is more than toying with non ZBS staples now. Cable mentioned it recently how we're misfiring on correct reads both with the OL and the RB. Seems like we're switching it up to reduce the learning curve gap vis a vis the zone blocking scheme. With as green as our guys are at LT/LG and RG -- reducing the complexity seems a good move.[/quote]

I've been griping about this for weeks now. It was so frustrating to watch Ifedi or Glowinski blow right by the player in front of them and head for the 2nd level while said player blew up Russell or CMike. Why are they blocking 2nd level before they've even taken care of the 1st level guys?

I'm much happier now.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:28 pm
  • I think the better question is, how did Gilliam do? He's gotta have a pretty hot seat right now.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion...man." - The Dude
    CHawkTailGator
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:01 pm
  • I've been intrigued with Fant since we signed him, but haven't been very impressed with him till now. I'm trying to find out if anyone has grades for him in this game. While I was looking for grades from yesterday's game I came across this:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2016/10/26/13 ... well-grade

which is an evaluation of how he did in the Cardinals game. It's a mixed bag, with some incredibly good plays followed by some pretty awful ones. However, seeing some of the positive things he did in the Cardinals game, along with feeling that he was pretty solid against the Patriots, I feel like we might be really good with him moving forward.

I'm thinking that the only glaring hole we need to address in the draft is at RT.
    We Fired Tom Cable!
    xgeoff
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:06 pm
  • The radio crew mentioned that they've simplified things a bit for the o line and also aren't sticking solely to zone blocking scheme/technique right now.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:15 pm
  • Attyla the Hawk wrote:
    RussB wrote:The fact that he is playing at atleast an average level with his background is very impressive.

I'll be that guy.

At some point Seattle will be in the midst of a championship drive. Qualfied success based on background is going to be less and less of a consolation.

I think I'm already at the point where I'm no longer satisfied with qualified success. I mean I love and appreciate the backstory as much as everyone. And I was absolutely thrilled the moment it was announced we signed him.

I think it will take a little more time and he will be a very solid LT,maybe a season or two. Hes already picking things up very quick.
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 pm
  • One of my favorite moments of the game was when Fant mauled the DE that came across off-sides. That was fun!
    "We have an opportunity to win multiple Super Bowls."
    -Russell Wilson
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information