Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2 Point Try

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
2 Point Try
Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:28 pm
  • That was just dumb. You force them to convert the 2 point conversion if they score. Its crap like that that just baffles me.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Re: 2 Point Try
Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:31 pm
  • How do coaches constantly out coach themselves?
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:35 pm
  • Always have to be cute. There's almost no doubt that the Pats score. Probably should let them so we get the ball back to try for a FG.
    nash72
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:51 pm
  • I didn't understand that call either. I know they wanted to make it a 2 score game, but you have to take the easy points and force a 2 point conversion out of them.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:53 pm
  • I love the killer instinct, but leave that instinct to the players. Hate the call, absolutely hate it.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• I don't hate it, offense was playing well and you knew the Pats were gonna get down the field. Pretty ballsy for sure
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• I liked the aggressiveness. Should have ran "the play" , would have been perfect timing
    cymatica
    NET Veteran

• Not a bad call IMO. Especially considering 7 missed PATs. Not like we were up 6 and went for it.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:54 pm
  • Honestly if it was any other team I say kick the XP. In NE, I think it was a good decision.
    seahawkfreak
    NET Veteran

• It was idiotic. Force them to make a two point conversion if they do happen to score.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• Belichick must have some kind of Jedi mind trick that he uses on our coaches to make them absolutely lose their frickin minds...
    Send Lawyers, Guns and Money!
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 pm
  • That was the right call, and would have been no matter the outcome.

7 points puts you a one-score game ahead.
    8 points puts you a one-score game ahead.
    9 points puts you a two-score game ahead.

Sure, going for two is often a crap shoot, but kicking extra points is no longer a gimme in the league either. So you have odds of going to overtime to fight it out, or forcing a touchdown and at least another field goal to win it in under two minutes for New England.

It was a gamble, and thankfully it played out well for us even though we lost that particular gamble, but it was the right call at the time.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:55 pm
  • I liked the call a lot, especially against a QB and team as good as Brady and New England.
    Jeremy517
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 pm
  • It's not really "taking the points" though. PAT's are not a given anymore. Haven't we missed 7 this year? Of course hindsight says it was a bad decision but I at least somewhat understand it, even if I didn't like the call at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

• Was not dumb. It was one of those hard decisions by a coach I am glad I don't have to make. I like the play to win attitude.
    Year of The Hawk
    NET Veteran

• with the state of our FG unit, loved it
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:59 pm
  • Jeremy517 wrote:I liked the call a lot, especially against a QB and team as good as Brady and New England.

I did too. It was absolutely the right call.

In an alternate universe, Hauschka misses his 5th extra point this year and the Patriots win it with a touchdown.

And in another alternate universe, Hauschka makes the extra point, the Patriots tie it in regulation, get the ball, and throw a touchdown pass to Gronk before we even get the ball.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:00 pm
  • Seriously, who thinks our pat's are better than fifty fifty?

It was the right call because if he didn't I'll bet you we were due for a bad snap, shank, or outright block.

Our unit is so hit and miss it's miserable. And we had the luxury of going for two for free there. I just didn't like the play call. Would have rather seen Jimmy dialed up
    Optimus25
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:02 pm
  • I'm ok with the call only for the fact that I was happier about going for it than sad about not getting it and angry about not being up by 8.
    Timmahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:05 pm
  • Hind sight is 20/20.
    If NE had scored, kicked the XP, and won in OT? I don't think there would be too many people anywhere that would agree with that. As it turns out it had no real bearing. I don't like guessing scenerios but this call created a lot of scenerio guessing.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:05 pm
  • Absolutely moronic. Pete is an amazing coach, wouldn't trade him for anyone, but he makes several utterly dumbfounding in-game calls every year.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:08 pm
  • From a statistics standpoint it was a bad call. Even with the woes of our field goal unit, the probability of making an extra point are exponentially higher than converting a 2-point attempt.

By kicking the extra point you are in effect taking the 2-point attempt and putting that statistical improbability on NE.

Great poker players win money because they play the odds. Pete did not and we saw what happened.
    F-16 Viper Driver
    falcongoggles
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:13 pm
  • falcongoggles wrote:From a statistics standpoint it was a bad call. Even with the woes of our field goal unit, the probability of making an extra point are exponentially higher than converting a 2-point attempt.

By kicking the extra point you are in effect taking the 2-point attempt and putting that statistical improbability on NE.

Great poker players win money because they play the odds. Pete did not and we saw what happened.

We didn't really see a clear outcome of that play though. The defense held and they didn't get their touchdown. Had they gotten it, we'd have seen a result of the play: New England would have either tied it and sent it to overtime, or Big Balls Bill would have gone for two and either converted or not.

For that to not have been the right decision by Pete, the Patriots would have had to have scored a touchdown and then gambled the entire game on one play and won, which would have been a huge gamble. Otherwise, worst case scenario would have taken it to overtime. Our gamble with the two-point conversion that time would have been far less a gamble than New England's gamble going for two with the entire game on the line.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:50 pm
  • Stupid call. The Hawks were frequently out coached in this game as expected. Thankfully the team outplayed the Pats.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:01 pm
  • I have no problem with the call. Worst case, you make them choose to go for 1 or 2 if they get their TD. Luckily, they didn't get to make that choice at all. :D
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:02 pm
  • I thought it was a good call straight up and I understand why he did it.

So what it didn't work thats the NFL. I generally tend to agree with Pete on the decisions he makes so I like that.

He believes in his players.
    .NET Pick The Score - 1st Season

"Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here." - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:04 pm
  • I'm ok with it.

You have to look at the situation within the game. We know Brady is going to get them into the red zone again, and we hadn't stopped Blount all game long down there.

This was about trying to put the game out of reach with 2 scores. It's risk/reward: if you make the 2 pt conversion, you pretty much salt the game away right there. If you don't, you're still up by 7 and almost no coach goes for 2 to win the game at the end.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:04 pm
  • Seafan wrote:Stupid call. The Hawks were frequently out coached in this game as expected. Thankfully the team outplayed the Pats.

Silly post. We took Gronk away, and kept their defense off balance.

Cant give the coaches all the blame for losses and no credit for wins.

I didnt like the 2 point at the time but I got the logic. Tried to end the game early. Wish we drew up a better play though.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:06 pm
  • Hawks46 wrote:I'm ok with it.

If you don't, you're still up by 7 and almost no coach goes for 2 to win the game at the end.

Well said sir. They are the home team so no chance they go for 2.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:08 pm
  • I like the killer instinct. This game is a game of inches and in many cases, single points. A 2 point conversion is something this offense can be very good at, and had we gotten it, the game wouild have been pretty much over
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:11 pm
  • falcongoggles wrote:From a statistics standpoint it was a bad call. Even with the woes of our field goal unit, the probability of making an extra point are exponentially higher than converting a 2-point attempt.

I don't think you know what exponential means, nor do you know what statistical improbability means.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:22 pm
  • I agreed with the call. You usually expect to get that conversion a bit more than half the time, and Hauschka has struggled recently with PATs. You also know that Brady is at his most dangerous in the vaunted two minute drill.

If you pick the PAT (and make it), the Pats can still tie the score with a two point conversion and the Pats are good at that.

If you go for the two point conversion and make it, the game is effectively over since there isn't enough time left (even for Brady) to score twice (it would have been a 9pt lead).

If you go for the two and don't get it, then you really aren't any worse off than going for the PAT since the Pats can still tie it with a touchdown.

It's dissapointing we didn't make the 2pt conversion and thus get in the kill shot, but against a team as good as the Pats, if you have the opportunity to win right then with a single play is there (which the 2pt conversion would have done), you take it.

JIMHO
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:32 pm
  • Totally disagree with the call....makes Hauschka feel like he can't be depended upon in crucial game ending scenarios...need to increase his confidence...not deter it ..The percentage of the kick is very high compared to a 2 point conversion.....Either way I thought we played one hell of a game...Go Hawks..!! :2thumbs:
    I eat breakfast 300 yards from 5000 cubans who are trained to kill me.....so don't think for 1 second you can come down here....flash a badge...and make me nervous....
    slateman77
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:32 pm
  • I liked it. Obviously more so if it was converted.
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:38 pm
  • slateman77 wrote:Totally disagree with the call....makes Hauschka feel like he can't be depended upon in crucial game ending scenarios...need to increase his confidence...not deter it ..The percentage of the kick is very high compared to a 2 point conversion.....Either way I thought we played one hell of a game...Go Hawks..!! :2thumbs:

Not at all. Confidence in Hauschka had nothing to do with it (consider how many FGs he made!). Rather, it was Pete's attempt to effectively end the game right there and then by making it a two score game. Against a team as good and explosive as the Patriots (esp on offense w/Brady), if you've got such an opportunity, YOU TAKE IT!
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:47 pm
  • I hated the call. Force them to make a big play. Don't let them off the hook!
    Reaneypark
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:54 pm
  • That call alone was horrible. Combine it with not going for the 2 point conversion when we scored the first TD (we missed the extra point, by the way) and it makes it horrendous.
    soje
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:13 pm
  • soje wrote:That call alone was horrible. Combine it with not going for the 2 point conversion when we scored the first TD (we missed the extra point, by the way) and it makes it horrendous.

The amount of people arguing we should have kicked the extra point because it was a gimme is pretty amusing, considering the emboldened part. Neither were/are gimmies. Hauschka's missed a bunch of them this season.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:15 pm
  • soje wrote:That call alone was horrible. Combine it with not going for the 2 point conversion when we scored the first TD (we missed the extra point, by the way) and it makes it horrendous.

So which is it? You can't have it both ways, they already missed an XP earlier, who says they make this one?
    potatohead
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:18 pm
  • Didn't have a problem with it at all. Convert it and it's a 2 score game. I was ok with the aggressiveness there
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:20 pm
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... point-call

Stupid call and stupid response from Pete.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:34 pm
  • I liked it. Put the game away with a throw.

The fact that Brady was the opposing QB here mattered. Hauschka has struggled mightily on kicks from 0-33 yards. Our defense has played a ton of snaps the last 3 weeks. Lot of context that's being ignored here.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:38 pm
  • I hated HATED the call.

Now that we've won and I can look back with the luxury of knowing how it turns out, I get that it was a very ballsy call by Pete...One that we would have celebrated with bravado had they pulled it off.

Still, it's a fairly low percentage chance to make it.

Even though we won, I still think they should have gone for the extra point there.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:39 pm
  • Terrible call and it almost cost them.
    naholmes
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:47 pm
  • So what do people feel about the Steelers going for two like... All the time? They scored first today to go up 6-0, and went for two.

I like the call Pete made today, I likely would have done the same thing.
    potatohead
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:49 pm
  • Not really debatable. A statistically dumb call. Pete tends to get cute against Bellicheck and the Stache. Like he's trying to prove something.

If the Pats would have found a way to make one yard in 4 tries (which was likely), they would have had to at at least convert to tie.
    Now a guppy driver. Loving the Hawks with my bro Nanomoz for over 30 years
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:51 pm
  • potatohead wrote:
    soje wrote:That call alone was horrible. Combine it with not going for the 2 point conversion when we scored the first TD (we missed the extra point, by the way) and it makes it horrendous.

So which is it? You can't have it both ways, they already missed an XP earlier, who says they make this one?

The point is I'm not against a 2 point try, depending on the situation. When a TD puts you up 5 points, then yes, go ahead and go for 2 to make it a 7 point lead. When scoring a PAT forces the other team to score what's basically 2 TD to tie a game, then no, do not go for the 2 point try.
    soje
    NET Rookie

Re: 2 Point
Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:51 pm
  • I can't believe anyone agrees with that call. I guess if you're a risk-taker, you might love it, but if you want to statistically give yourself the best odds of winning the game, you play to go up eight. Yes, I know nine is more than eight, and almost impossible to lose. You have to look at execution probability. By kicking extra point, even if you miss, you're still up 7. But it's a league-wide stat that 95% of extra points are made. By going up eight, as someone said, you place that poor execution probability back on your opponent. It's an extreme uphill battle to not only score a TD on us, but then to also score another one right after that (two point conversion) to tie. Especially if you see it go 0-6 in an earlier matchup today.

So if you say you like the call, great, that's just a difference of philosophy--but don't, for one second, say it was THE right call. You have nothing to back that up. Statistics don't support it, only your opinion does. Sorry.
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:56 pm
  • rjdriver wrote:If the Pats would have found a way to make one yard in 4 tries (which was likely), they would have had to at at least convert to tie.

If.

And if Seattle makes the conversion, its game over.
    potatohead
    NET Rookie

Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:56 pm
  • We were in the redzone 6 times and scored two TDs!!!

We were on the half line and couldn't score.

What made us think we could score on a 2pt conversion??

8 points is a two score game. First score and then score again. We lean on our defense EVERY SINGLE WEEK and now we don't???

If we were the saints that scores a lot more creatively and sucks at defense then YES GO FOR IT. We are not the Saints and this was against our DNA, against our system and against trusting the core of our team.

It was a horrific decision. It also theoretically allows your opponent to for two to win... you just created a possibility to lose on one possession
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 12:17 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information