The NFL Show: It's manipulation of the game and audience.

Jville

Reaction score
Controversial plays highlight the manipulation of fan perceptions. Different views and story lines for different audiences and loyalties. A lot of power in the hands of editors and commentators. An inherent feature of television is its capacity to exploit and manipulate viewer perceptions for its own purposes. We may not always view television presentations as fictional manipulation. But, what it presents is far from a clear, accurate, or fair accounting of events.

A few years ago, the NFL show chose to cast Richard Sherman as a villain during the Sherman/Crabtree series. It was a time when Crabtree's legacy team was beyond reproach. Unfortunately, it resulted in the marking of Richard Sherman as a villain for the duration of his NFL career. In many ways he has excepted his fate and endeavored to have fun with it along the way. Manipulative editors are so accustom to using Sherman as a villain, they pounce on any opportunity to shape the next dastardly episode for the NFL nation at large. To that ends, they edit as they please to project the image their script demands. The deciding Julio Jones - Richard Sherman play, where the hand/slap to the face and head of Sherman was edited out of the beginning of a (NFL network) replay and patched with a passive release by Jones copied from another play is a prime example of viewer manipulation. It spotlights what NFL networks are capable of toward manipulating perceptions. It is well known that television audiences respond to good guys verses bad guys shows. NFL films and NFL networks actively engage in toying with that phenomenon.

The photo Field Gulls posted last week regarding whether a receiver got two feet down or not should have been instructive for anyone unfamiliar with the soda straw effect. I'm not sure everyone picked up on that example of edit manipulation. It was a soda straw spoof that enlarged a photographed foot of a receiver and a foot of a defender. It was accompanied with a question of as to if the receiver got both feet down for a touchdown. Cropping and enlarging an isolated portion of a photo is a means of manipulation that anyone anywhere can participate in. That was the message from that Field Gulls post and exercise.

The NFL show we are presented with and the action on the field is not one in the same. Compounding that disparity for the fan is a similar disparity among officials. What officials on the field see and what monitors back in New York see are from different vantage points. Too often, the monitors in New York have become the game day editors of NFL field officials ..... acting out a similar function like that of editors/directors working in network television trailers and studios. IMO, officials in New York often add to the problem of game manipulation and outcome. More pointedly, they add to fan confusion and frustration.

The reality is that Richard Sherman is among those who have been cast as a villain by the NFL show. He is saddled with that role for the balance of his NFL career. Fortunately, Richard has a coach and mentor with a lot of experience with how to handle being tagged and cast in the role of a villain. So.... Richard is in a good place. As a Seahawk fan, I can also ignore the constant noise. And when opportunity presents itself, chose to have a little fun with it ..... or not. That's something each of us can control.

Although recent success has gone a long way toward masking it, Seattle remains the Red Hair Step Child of the NFL. The Seattle Seahawks are not the preferred marquee of the NFL. NFL New York and the networks do have a vested interest in herding toward a preferred landscape. It is incumbent on all red hair step children to understand that there is no such thing as reality television. It's a myth. All packaged television is manipulated and edited for the pleasure of it's proprietors. That doesn't include us.

The bottom line is ..... all red hair step children need to learn how to deflect and ignore the noise. Fortunately, we have outstanding role models and examples in Pete Carroll and others.

Go Hawks!

ivotuk

Reaction score
An excellent breakdown. They have lost all integrity and have allowed an agenda to creep in. Football is an escape, and while most people won't say anything, they will start looking elsewhere for "BS free" entertainment.

But the NFL will claim viewership is down for other reasons, pushing their agenda and ignoring the fans.

Mark Cuban was right, fat hogs get slaughtered.

I could be wrong, but I felt taht Mike Greenberg tried to push the evil Sherman agenda in the way he phrased a question to Ryan Clark, but Ryan Clark pushed back.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Excellent write up. Really good stuff there. Thank you.

I've just simply stopped watching espn and larger networks. They have their agendas, they paint our team as the "bad guys." It happens when the team is a winner

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seeing outright falsehoods, like the NFL posting an edited, patently false Sherman/Julio Jones "free release" before the "uncalled PI", I won't say that was a new low for the NFL, but if nothing else, it showed us what and who we are dealing with in our corporate media.

Let's all wake up and question our lying corporate mass media more, or at least make sure to find other media sources to also pay attention to and financially support.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
Amazing to me how many people don't realize that good vs evil sells. If the players weren't "characters" the game would be just a game! It's entertainment and the NFL and media know that!

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Jville":b4u05cet said:
Controversial plays highlight the manipulation of fan perceptions. Different views and story lines for different audiences and loyalties. A lot of power in the hands of editors and commentators. An inherent feature of television is its capacity to exploit and manipulate viewer perceptions for its own purposes. We may not always view television presentations as fictional manipulation. But, what it presents is far from a clear, accurate, or fair accounting of events.

A few years ago, the NFL show chose to cast Richard Sherman as a villain during the Sherman/Crabtree series. It was a time when Crabtree's legacy team was beyond reproach. Unfortunately, it resulted in the marking of Richard Sherman as a villain for the duration of his NFL career. In many ways he has excepted his fate and endeavored to have fun with it along the way. Manipulative editors are so accustom to using Sherman as a villain, they pounce on any opportunity to shape the next dastardly episode for the NFL nation at large. To that ends, they edit as they please to project the image their script demands. The deciding Julio Jones - Richard Sherman play, where the hand/slap to the face and head of Sherman was edited out of the beginning of a (NFL network) replay and patched with a passive release by Jones copied from another play is a prime example of viewer manipulation. It spotlights what NFL networks are capable of toward manipulating perceptions. It is well known that television audiences respond to good guys verses bad guys shows. NFL films and NFL networks actively engage in toying with that phenomenon.

The photo Field Gulls posted last week regarding whether a receiver got two feet down or not should have been instructive for anyone unfamiliar with the soda straw effect. I'm not sure everyone picked up on that example of edit manipulation. It was a soda straw spoof that enlarged a photographed foot of a receiver and a foot of a defender. It was accompanied with a question of as to if the receiver got both feet down for a touchdown. Cropping and enlarging an isolated portion of a photo is a means of manipulation that anyone anywhere can participate in. That was the message from that Field Gulls post and exercise.

The NFL show we are presented with and the action on the field is not one in the same. Compounding that disparity for the fan is a similar disparity among officials. What officials on the field see and what monitors back in New York see are from different vantage points. Too often, the monitors in New York have become the game day editors of NFL field officials ..... acting out a similar function like that of editors/directors working in network television trailers and studios. IMO, officials in New York often add to the problem of game manipulation and outcome. More pointedly, they add to fan confusion and frustration.

The reality is that Richard Sherman is among those who have been cast as a villain by the NFL show. He is saddled with that role for the balance of his NFL career. Fortunately, Richard has a coach and mentor with a lot of experience with how to handle being tagged and cast in the role of a villain. So.... Richard is in a good place. As a Seahawk fan, I can also ignore the constant noise. And when opportunity presents itself, chose to have a little fun with it ..... or not. That's something each of us can control.

Although recent success has gone a long way toward masking it, Seattle remains the Red Hair Step Child of the NFL. The Seattle Seahawks are not the preferred marquee of the NFL. NFL New York and the networks do have a vested interest in herding toward a preferred landscape. It is incumbent on all red hair step children to understand that there is no such thing as reality television. It's a myth. All packaged television is manipulated and edited for the pleasure of it's proprietors. That doesn't include us.

The bottom line is ..... all red hair step children need to learn how to deflect and ignore the noise. Fortunately, we have outstanding role models and examples in Pete Carroll and others.

Go Hawks!

TSDWSR Translated: To short didn't want to stop reading.

Great write up and insight. I get very tied up week to week watching these games and invest far to much emotional energy and time as well, doing mental acrobatics with why my view of the game seems so different than that of the officials or the national opinion.

Life might be easier if I can just accept we are seen as the villain and embrace that. It would be much easier than trying to understand so much of the confusion. Probably more fun too.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1u9489lr said:
Jville":1u9489lr said:

Go Hawks!

TSDWSR Translated: To short didn't want to stop reading.

Great write up and insight. I get very tied up week to week watching these games and invest far to much emotional energy and time as well, doing mental acrobatics with why my view of the game seems so different than that of the officials or the national opinion.

Life might be easier if I can just accept we are seen as the villain and embrace that. It would be much easier than trying to understand so much of the confusion. Probably more fun too.

You missed a T

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think it's a good thing................any compelling form of entertainment needs it's heroes, and it needs its villains, including sports.

Especially the modern NFL with how homogenized and sterile the owners want the players to act. The sport needs the Richard Shermans more than ever.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great points Rich.

I think my problem is, I want everyone to accept the Seahawks as a great team, with great people on the team. Players that do a lot outside of the game, for the community and for the less fortunate.

I want people to recognize just have great the Seahawks response to National Anthem protest was. They were unified, as a team, and showed respect.

I see the Seahawks as a better all around team and community representative than any other team in the NFL, or even sports. And I want them to have the kind of recognition and respect that other teams have.

But I have 2 things going against me. 1. They haven't been winning long enough yet, and haven't won enough SuperB Owls yet to get that respect. 2. The average fan doesn't value community the same way that I do. They don't care what their team does as long as it's winning.

I think the Seattle Seahawks are the best Ambassador for Sports on the face of the Planet. And I'm proud of that fact.

It's just too bad that the "NFL Show" doesn't realize how important that is in an era where we have players and coaches doing deplorable things. They (TV, internet, Radio) truly don't care about the image of Sports, as long as they are getting listeners/viewers/readers. Problem is, because of their deafness, their losing people, and they don't even realize it.

Myself, I've canceled magazine and "insider" subscriptions, and quit listening to radio and podcasts, and stopped patronizing websites. There's a much better source for information, right here, at .NET.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Good post, and I'll add, I think some of the smartest players are fully aware of the hero vs villain theme. Many of them take full advantage of it as they develop their persona. As has been mentioned before, much like the TV wrasslin' that so many folks enjoy.
When you break it down, it's kinda' hard to fault ANY player, that takes advantage of a role that he's been cast in.
Controversy sells, take the money and run.
Draw back is, it has changed the game, not for the best IMHO.

ivotuk

Reaction score
And to prove their point, they are going to FINE Richard Sherman.

This is from Brock and Salk podcast page

"Mike Pereira says that Richard Sherman was within the rules on Sunday night, but the NFL has decided to fine Sherman anyway. "

Pereira also said on Clayton's show that he would defend Richard Sherman.