Defense last two weeks

zchurch74

Reaction score
Our defense is starting to look a little shakeup. I understand we are missing Kam and Bennett but we cannot keep giving up this many points.

Is it me or is Earl play a little extra deep?

Woods is having his way with the secondary. 4th quarter and its time to step up. Can't give up these 4th quarter leads like last year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane is playing terrible....his guy( one is supposed to cover) is killing the Seahawks. Might be time to bench Lane.

renofox

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3wmoqwjx said:
Jeremy Lane is playing terrible....his guy( one is supposed to cover) is killing the Seahawks. Might be time to bench Lane.

I agree. Shead is a safety, but when he has been pressed into playing corner he has performed at a much higher level than Lane has been playing lately.

I wonder why Lane has regressed so much. He used to play MUCH better than he has been recently.

hawker232

Reaction score
zchurch74":3747pci4 said:
Our defense is starting to look a little shakeup. I understand we are missing Kam and Bennett but we cannot keep giving up this many points.

Woods is having his way with the secondary. 4th quarter and its time to step up. Can't give up these 4th quarter leads like last year.

Could be fatigue. Had long games the last two weeks vs. AZ and NO.

I'm not worried about our defense long term. Buffalo has a lot of those quick, shifty guys that our defense has always struggled against.

daveca5150

Reaction score
You said it:

Missing Bennett, our most consistent pass rusher
Missing Chancelor, the middle of our defense that is the emotional and tactical leader
Our run game on offense is terrible, keeping our defense on the field WAY too long in the course of a game.

Long term, I'm not worried
Short term, we are in trouble next week...

Seafan

Reaction score
LOB had to cover too long for most of the game. Good to escape with a win.

A good running game would help this defense but it hasn't happened. Hopefully the run blocking/play calling is about to turn the corner.

Skansi82

Reaction score
Not to mention Mike Morgan. Not sure why KPL only played special teams, but Croyle was not good. I'm guessing we go linebacker early in the 2017 draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
daveca5150":1vfow8ui said:
You said it:

Missing Bennett, our most consistent pass rusher
Missing Chancelor, the middle of our defense that is the emotional and tactical leader
Our run game on offense is terrible, keeping our defense on the field WAY too long in the course of a game.

Long term, I'm not worried
Short term, we are in trouble next week...

Took the words right out of my keyboard.

The last two weeks proved one thing, that Bennett is the most important player on defense. His interior disruption and pressure is VITAL to how our entire defense operates.

If he and Kam can get back to form in the next 2-3 weeks? Then we're fine. If their injuries linger or they're not at 90-100%? We might be in trouble, cause the 2nd and 3rd string interior lineman got MAULED last night.

McGruff

Reaction score
Skansi82":qd4teflw said:
Not to mention Mike Morgan. Not sure why KPL only played special teams, but Croyle was not good. I'm guessing we go linebacker early in the 2017 draft.

My thoughts too. Coyle is a banger MLB playing a rangy OLB position, and his lack of speed, athleticism, and play in space was exposed repeatedly.

KPL should've played.

And I think they will look for a freaky rangy OLB in the draft. Likely one of those guys who falls out of round one because they aren't a pass rusher.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawker232":17dp3rc0 said:
zchurch74":17dp3rc0 said:

Could be fatigue. Had long games the last two weeks vs. AZ and NO.

I'm not worried about our defense long term. Buffalo has a lot of those quick, shifty guys that our defense has always struggled against.

I think this is it. Fatigue is setting in a bit. The last 3 games, the defense has played 40 + minutes of each game.

The Cowboys' defense has so much less talent than ours, yet they're only giving up 1.5 more ppg than we are because their offense is protecting them and keeping them fresh and off the field.

The opposite is true for our offense.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I was at the game and what seemed to jump out to me was poor tackling. As much as the corners kept giving up those 12yd comeback routes, I think there were many cases where we could have gotten off the field if we had just tackled better.

RW92

Reaction score
Skansi82":18ypyjmt said:

You're absolutely correct here. We miss Morgan terribly, and Brock Coyle can not keep up. Nice kid, but too slow off the mark. No impact at all.

Next week will be a telling game. We're not expected to win. But to win, we have to pitch a perfect game.

hawker84

Reaction score
We go into Gillette with anything close to resembling that D, and you can chalk up a L in the books. Pass rush has got to get more pressure, bottom line. Kam is definitely being missed, think Kelcie is doing good, but looked like he missed a couple assignments again last night, especially on the second TD? Earl had another bad night, horrible angles and missed tackles, Lane, probably worst I've ever seen him.

Bobby and Cliff are beasting
KJ is playing at a high level as well
Clark is showing flashes

The secondary communication this year is baffling, not sure why Earl or Sherm can't seem to step up in Kam's absence?

All in all, they came together when it most counted, hopefully they'll get their leader back for the Pat's.

McGruff

Reaction score
I thought our pass rush was impressive, but Taylor made us look silly.

Brady isn't nearly as elusive or strong in the pocket, but he's much quicker with the ball. That's where we will miss Bennett, because middle pressure is much more disruptive of timing.

Hopefully Moore will continue on his stellar effort last night.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":34gsy6dp said:

Avril was impressive, but that was about it. I saw a LOT of both Marsh and Clark jumping inside losing contain on Taylor, which is a big no no with a QB like that.

Also ZERO push up the middle, which allowed way too much time and space for Taylor.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1g7m5yfz said:
McGruff":1g7m5yfz said:

Avril was impressive, but that was about it. I saw a LOT of both Marsh and Clark jumping inside losing contain on Taylor, which is a big no no with a QB like that.

Also ZERO push up the middle, which allowed way too much time and space for Taylor.

I thought it got better when Moore got in the game as well.

And I thought Clark had a great game.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane = Kelly Jennings....my how he has fallen. He's been a huge liability the past couple weeks. Should have kept Marcus Burley on the team.

potatohead

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3i0pnsqh said:

The dude is flat terrible

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":3px0fmzu said:
Sgt. Largent":3px0fmzu said:
McGruff":3px0fmzu said:

I thought it got better when Moore got in the game as well.

And I thought Clark had a great game.

He did, but too much losing contain. When he's outside he can't be jumping inside and allowing mobile QB's to run for 15 yards.

That's what makes Bennett so good, his fits, spacing and decision making is as good as it gets. So underrated in that part of his game.