Poll: Armchair Monday Morning Head Coach

What should they have done during their last possession?

• Attempt the game winning field goal on 2nd down?

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Go for it on 2nd down, if attempt fails, kick it on 3rd down?

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Go for it on 3rd down, if attempt fails, kick it on 4th down?

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Go for it on 4th down?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Part of me feels like they should have at least attempted to score, or at least run the ball one last time before kicking the field goal. I understand why they didn't though. What say you?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Being that close in a sudden death situation, kicking the field goal is the obvious choice.

If the offense turned the ball over, then we'd be second guessing why they didn't just kick the field goal for the win.

Coach made the right call, Hauschka just didn't execute.

The only coach who should be second guessing himself is Bruce Arians.

sdog1981

Reaction score
it was 28 yards man it was a chip shot.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Chip shot or not we had time and their D was on their heels. We should have used more downs.

Chapow

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3ab78pls said:
Coach made the right call, Hauschka just didn't execute.

This.

I don't second guess the call at all and IMO it was absolutely the right call 100 times out of 100. Kick the field goal and thank your lucky stars you got of there with a win.

A 28 yard field goal is about as close to a sure thing as it gets in football. It sucks that Hausch blew it, but it was absolutely the right call.

Obviously this was a different situation, but remember the Rams game earlier this season? We had the ball and had a good drive going with a chance to take the lead very late in the 4th quarter. A TD most likely would have won the game. Well, we didn't get a chance to score that TD because Michael fumbled with the drive well into Rams territory.

Now, imagine if that had happened when we were within range of a 28 yard field goal that would have instantly ended the game with a win, but instead of kicking that field goal we ran a play and lost the ball.

It's baffling to me that people are second guessing the call. There is infinitely more risk in running a play there than in attempting a sub 30 yard field goal.